Customize

Aaron Barr Now Federal Contractor Cybersecurity Chief

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Wrong Guy, Oct 19, 2011.

1. The Wrong Guy Member

From Twitter tonight:

AnonymousIRC AnonymousIRC
    The Return of @AaronBarr : Now cybersecurity chief at large federal contractor: bit.ly/mWXFKY (via @Wikilieaks) bored of hiding? :D
    15 minutes ago

AnonymousIRC AnonymousIRC
    Also, @AaronBarr, you think that your continuing work at #HBGary went unnoticed by us? Another question, do you still expect us? #Anonymous
    13 minutes ago

The report linked above:

The Return of Aaron Barr: Victim of Embarrassing Hacking Now Cybersecurity Chief at Large Federal Contractor

If you have been following the twists and turns of the Wikileaks saga, you might remember the incident earlier this year involving an IT executive named Aaron Barrand the activist hacker group known as Anonymous. It's a comically bizarre story, but it has larger implications that deserve to be taken very seriously.

In February, Barr, CEO of cybersecurity consulting firm HBGary Federal, unwittingly picked a fight with the pro-Wikileaks band of hackers when he boasted in an online article that his company had successfully infiltrated Anonymous by trolling online social media and had gathered personal data on its members. In retaliation, Anonymous hacked into the email accounts of HBGary (the parent company of HBGary Federal) and posted thousands of their emails online. They also hacked Barr’s iPad, iPhone, and his online accounts. Discovered among the cache of emails was a proposed project on which HBGary Federal was to team up with two other cybersecurity contracting firms, Berico Technologies, and Palantir Technologies, to conduct a campaign to “sabotage or discredit” Wikileaks, Wikileaks supporters (including prominent blogger Glenn Greenwald), and other perceived “threats” to two potential clients, Bank of America and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

After the story broke, Barr resigned from HBGary Federal. Senior executives at HBGary, Berico, Palantir, Bank of America, and the Chamber quickly distanced themselves from Barr and HBGary Federal and denied knowing about the proposed project. High-powered law firm Hunton & Williams, alleged to have been involved in the project, remained silent during the controversy, but three of its partners were named in an ethics complaint filed with the D.C. bar. Congressional Democrats, led by Rep. Hank Johnson (D–GA), called for an investigation of “possible illegal actions” by Hunton & Williams and Team Themis, the name of the proposed partnership between HBGary Federal, Palantir, and Berico. (Themis, by the way, is the Greek goddess of natural law, order, and justice.) A House subcommittee also asked several agencies, including the Department of Defense and the National Security Agency, to provide information about their dealings with HBGary Federal, Palantir, and Berico. To top it off, the incident was even the subject of a crude joke on “The Colbert Report.”

The ethics complaint is still pending. Congressman Johnson’s office told POGO that the House committees to which Rep. Johnson directed his request declined to look into the matter and that at least two agencies provided unclassified contractual information pertaining to the Team Themis companies.

The story eventually fell off the radar—until last week. A reporter for IDG News Service caught up with Aaron Barr at a cybersecurity conference in London. Barr is now the director of cybersecurity at Sayres and Associates, an engineering and technical services company with millions of dollars in federal contracts, mostly with the U.S. Navy, the Department of Homeland Security, and the Department of Veterans Affairs. Barr’s area of specialty is the security implications of online social media. Here’s a PowerPoint presentation he created on the subject for a conference in September.

However, Barr can’t completely escape his past. Even though Barr says he’s being more cautious now, IDG News Service reported that HBGary Federal, which bound Barr to a lifelong non-disclosure agreement, forbade his appearance on a panel at a conference in August for fear it would “stir the hornet’s nest” and trigger another attack by Anonymous. If Anonymous decides to teach Barr another lesson, it could result in the disclosure of sensitive national security and personal privacy information courtesy of the Navy, DHS, the VA, and other agencies that have conducted business with Sayres.

Barr did not respond to POGO's email requesting comment.

More: http://pogoblog.typepad.com/pogo/20...cybersecurity-chief-at-large-federal-con.html
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Anonymous Member

I wouldn't hire Aaron Barr to work the cash register at a drive through. Unbelievable that he's a director of cybersecurity at a company with so many sensitive connections.
  3. The Wrong Guy Member

4. Anonymous Member

They never learn.
  5. Anonymous Member

mm could this be a trap?
  6. Anonymous Member

Yes.
  7. Robocat Member

8. Smurf Member

• Like Like x 2
  9. Robocat Member

2:15pm - Social Media and the Potential of Cyber Security Attacks

Social networking via Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, and MySpace are now an important part of the business scene as this platform empowers businesses to build a brand, expand their reach, connect with customers and partners and facilitate the “flow of business.” Employees toggling between “friending” on Facebook and “businessing” on corporate systems leave a company open to to number of security threats and provide a treasure trove of information which include the exposure of personal data in the workplace, the release of corporate data to the public, the risk of identity fraud and a host of security, governance and compliance challenges. Further,Aaron will share how the perfect storm is brewing between the number of people using social media and the increasingly sophisticated malware attacks being launched to prey on the data. And now with the proliferation of third-party applications for mobile devices, the complexity and diversity of security issues becomes even greater as users download unsecured applications and use mobile devices for personal reasons.
    Presenter
    Aaron Barr
    Director of Cyber Security The only person that Sayres could find that had a name stupid enough to get booked at conventions. Shame on DefCon!
    Sayres and Associates
  10. xenubarb Member

Isn't hiring incompetents and putting them in charge The American Way?
    • Like Like x 9
  11. Anonymous Member

Difficult to be circumspect enough here... I don't want to facefag myself. Basically, this is pretty surprising to me as Aaron is blacklisted at every major American defense contracting firm. He is the laughingstock of almost everyone involved in the DoD's electronic warfare and cybersecurity projects. He will NEVER get a security clearance again and that seriously limits his exposure to any .gov or even sensitive civilian positions in industry.

Plus, he can suck a fat one. Douche.
  12. Anonymous Member

Different anonfag here. Same general knowledge re: blackballed. Also surprised.
  13. Anonymous Member

Think IP trap
  14. Etain Member

This joker? Are they serious?!

Mark my words; this will not end well.

15. Anonymous Member

I wouldn't hire this guy to rake leaves!

qRH9J.jpg

Would you?
  16. Anonymous Member

He's looking better than he did, a touch of grey and less arrogance. Kinda cute actually. I'll post this anonymously.
  17. Anonymous Member

The Peter Principle states that "in a hierarchy every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence", meaning that employees tend to be promoted until they reach a position at which they cannot work competently. It was formulated by Dr. Laurence J. Peter and Raymond Hull in their 1969 book The Peter Principle, a humorous [1] treatise which also introduced the "salutary science of hierarchiology."
  18. LocalSP Member

Aaron Barr Barr...the elephant in the room.
  19. Is it true that Gary and Penny are doing well business wise? They said their business was never better. Are mega corp/governments that stupid?
  20. Smurf Member

You mean Greg Hoglund and his wife. http://hbgary.com/management

They are accepting applications. http://hbgary.com/jobs
  21. Anonymous Member

Cute guy.

image.jpg
  22. Etain Member

Gotta know; what fool in their right mind thought it was an even remotely good idea to hire THIS clown?

A guy who got his ass handed to him by a bunch of tech-savy netters when he tried to go all 'final boss'?
  23. The Wrong Guy Member

24. The Wrong Guy Member

dangainor Dan Gainor [Fox News columnist]
    #OWS remarkably silent about their ties to Soros and OWS fundraisers Alliance for Global Justice. Wonder why...
    57 minutes ago

aaronbarr Aaron Barr
    @dangainor: #OWS remarkably silent about their ties to Soros and OWS fundraisers Alliance for Global Justice. Wonder why...” is this true?
    3 minutes ago

dangainor Dan Gainor
    @ @aaronbarr Why yes, it is. Even CNN was reporting part of it. #OWS
    1 minute ago

aaronbarr Aaron Barr
    @ @dangainor I was hoping I would get a response from #ows. None yet. I see the special interest support. Hypocritical IMO.
    1 minute ago
  25. lulzgasm Member

Aaron got his ass handed to him by Anon.
    Aaron knows anons support OWS.
    Aaron has a vendetta.
    Thus, Aaron villifies OWS.
    And all because he's nothing more than a petty little butthurt egofag.
    • Like Like x 3
  26. DeathHamster Member

He certainly had his butthole Occupied.

I bet he keeps popping up like a minor comic villain with elaborate (but easy to thwart) plans of vengeance. "Curse you anonyfags! You shall rue the day that you crossed swords with aaronbarrman!"
    • Like Like x 1
  27. The Wrong Guy Member

aaronbarr Aaron Barr
    Heading to IACP 2011. Quite a few talks and working groups on social media. 4sq.com/mTpqvy
    20 minutes ago

aaronbarr Aaron Barr
    @ @joshcorman @JosephKBlack don't encourage him. At one point he wanted me to sit on his "cyber" board. He's just out for the attention
    14 minutes ago

TheSpiderMind TheSpider Mind
    @ @aaronbarr never too late to repent, Mr. wrong side of history.
    6 minutes ago

JosephKBlack Director Black
    @ @aaronbarr @joshcorman I extended an olive branch on behalf of Anonymous. You declined. The "cyber" board is real. It's a Megacommunity. ~JB
    25 seconds ago
  28. Anonymous Member

popcorn_yes.gif
    I agonna join twitter just 4 this
  29. The Wrong Guy Member

30. http://conanthedestroyer.net/2010/0...acks-why-dont-you-just-tell-them-their-pwned/

Comments are pretty interesting

31. CEO, HBGary, Inc.
  32. Correct me if I'm wrong. They were thinking about inserting stuxenet into entities, and then sell them their services??
  33. Smurf Member

Has "Naughty Vicky" ever been taken to task for pretending to be a promiscuous teen on the 321teen.chat line?

"Once logged-in to 321.com, Barr claims he would adopt the persona of an underage female, using a « good photo… from MySpace of a nice looking chick…. » Barr further relates that he would choose a name like « Naughty Vicky » and describe himself as: « 16 straight and naughty got some nice pictures… » Barr describes purportedly sending ‘pictures’ to people and advising them to turn off their anti-virus programs."

http://crowdleaks.org/fr/aaron-barr-pervert-or-vigilante/
  34. Oh Heavens.
    • Like Like x 1
  35. http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...ckand-he-wants-more-cybersecurity-offense.ars

Be careful what you ask for.
  36. Anonymous Member

Anon #11 here. This should not come as much of a surprise to Anons that savvy security... but there are a lot of companies run by people with their head in the sand. Further, while I have more than a few personal and professional problems with Aaron, he is a very charismatic guy and I would not be surprised if he could spin his massive fail into some sort of win (Rule #16). Couple his charisma with people that truly don't pay attention to the news and he'll probably always work.

P.S. The only way to stop someone like this is to hand him his ass at every job he gets. Only then will you make him pay. Not that I am advocating any illegal activities...
  37. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

Dear Wrong Guy:

Why the hell is this in the Scientology section of WWP? Did Aaron Barr decide to troll Anonymous and become a Scientologist?

Still, this should be interesting to see how long Aaron keeps his job before he accidentally the whole thing.
  38. The Wrong Guy Member

39. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

Huh... It was in the Scientology area originally. At least on my box anyways... It is in the area you describe now but oh well.... Nothing worth raeging about.

I do wonder if they did a background check when they hired him. I mean, how dumb does somebody have to be to not notice what happened at HB Gary and the total ownage Aaron Barr got?

...Oh I forgot. He got hired by the Government... Again... So this is par for the course!
    • Like Like x 1
  40. Anonymous Member

I smell a trap...