Customize

Blog: Why the Travoltas Shouldn't be Forced to be the Face of Autism

Discussion in 'Jett Travolta' started by Relyt, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Relyt Member

Blog: Why the Travoltas Shouldn't be Forced to be the Face of Autism

From an Autism blog page:

Time Out New York Kids: Blog Why the Travoltas shouldn't be forced to be the face of autism

Comments section is open. Be reasonable, be convincing.
  2. Mousey Member

Re: Blog: Why the Travoltas Shouldn't be Forced to be the Face of Autism

They aren't the face of autism, they're the face of people who come up with their own explanations for things instead of relying on "doctors" with "education".

They're blaming seizures on a rare infant disease that causes heart problems if left untreated. When facts and what people are saying don't line up, it's a good thing to point it out to them and say "Hey that's bullshit." I'm not a doctor though, so I can't say that Jett had autism.

Rather than making them the face of autism, I'd rather we made them the face of lying cultists.
  3. WTF Member

They are teh face of "not-isness".

not-isness=scn equiv. of denial
  4. Relyt Member

I think it's great to let people know that this isn't just an isolated event from people who happen to be Scientologists. It's something that was put on them by Scientology's policy, that they were unable to properly handle a situation based on lies they were told, and seemed to react more to PR than their son's situation.
  5. XenuLovesU Member

In every harpoon I've sent to editors or comments sections, I've studiously avoided mentioning both Kawasaki disease and autism.

I think both are red herrings, insomuch as it is incontrovertible that Jett suffered from Grand Mal seizures, as stated by the Travoltas themselves.

I don't want to get bogged down in peripheral arguments about Kawasaki and autism.

His death was caused by a seizure... and it's much easier to frame the argument with:

- Why just try one med and then discontinue it when there are dozens of other anti-seizure meds available?

- Why weren't non-pharmaceutical treatments like a VNS stimulator tried?

- Why was a kid who was having a grand mal every few days not wearing a helmet?

- Why was a kid who was having a grand mal every few days left unsupervised for any period of time, especially given the Travoltas financial resources?

- Why was he being given Scientology's "detox" purification rundown instead of reality-based, scientifically sound medicine?
  6. XenuAlia Member

ugh...
    this is not about autism! this is about denial of adequate medical care thanks to cult influence. Who's trying to make JT the posterboy for autism?

The blogger has trouble in seeing that:
    1. a celebrity denied medical care to his own son.

2. lots of stupid sheep blindly follow celebrities.

We're TRYING to save the innocent kids of the dumbasses who think "this famous person does this, therefore i should too!"

kelly still strikes me as a cold-hearted bitch, but i can entertain the possibility that john actually cared.
    John might well have said "maybe this is the day the Tech will work!"
    "Maybe THIS is the day that the Tech will work."
    "Maybe THIS is..."
    All thru Jett's life.

Sad.
  7. mrfyde Member

I agree the blogger does not seem to grasp the real issue. And that is what the cult , the travoltas (and most of the press)are tying to do.

They threw in the Kawasaki Disease to side track from the Autism so the story is boy dies with strange circumstances those circumstances have people thinking "Oh he had autism and scientologys is messed up" NOT "Scientology is really a form of alternative medicine/quackery"

I want to hear in the news "Scientology practices its own form of medicine..." and then I will be a happy duck.
  8. Relyt Member

He didn't even die from the seizure, either. He died because of head trauma, which was brought on by the seizure. The seizure was most likely brought on from being epileptic, which is common in at least a third of people with autism. If the Travoltas had gone to a professional and gotten the kid diagnosed with autism, and it was discovered that his seizures were linked to the neurological malfunction in his brain, they could have saved his life. THAT'S why autism plays a role in this; they just chose to deny it, because to accept it would mean that their son was a "degraded being".
  9. DBGFT Member

Guise, I'm supposedly on the autistic spectrum. For a lot it's just social retardation. Where the fuck did this shit about seizuress and autism come from? Why does the kid have to be autistic to have seizures and vice versa? This is the first I've heard of people on the spectrum being so prone to seizures... Admittedly, I haven't really looked into it in detail. I know of an anon with rett syndrome who has them but that isn't exactly considered autism based on my understanding. Still, it seems like a non-issue and rather irrelevant. Focus on the seizures, not the presence of autism or lack thereof. Also, like half of anon is probably somewhere on the spectrum... Someone else is bound to be able to provide some input.

I thought the only dying from autism was dying inside. :rolleyes:
  10. Mutante Member

Read the big Jett thread.

Alternativey, google 'autism seizures'.

Somewhere between 30%-50% of those diagnosed with autism suffered from seizures, apparently.