Customize

BOYCOTT YOUTUBE December 19 - 21

Discussion in 'Youtube and Vimeo Problems' started by Relyt, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Relyt Member

Re: BOYCOTT YOUTUBE December 19 - 21

He's a partner, so the worst that will happen to him is he won't be able to promote his videos. He'll probably still receive money because of how much money he makes for YouTube. I don't know though. It probably doesn't matter, because his place is on ScrewAttack.com | Soulja Boy Can Suck Our Balls, and he does his own film production for other stuff, so I can't really see him giving a shit either way. Not to mention, he's one of the most subscribed-to people on YouTube.

EDIT: Oh shi- lol @ the current screwattack page title (they're doing a video game face-off with Soulja Boy, apparently).
  2. Re: BOYCOTT YOUTUBE December 19 - 21

So, who all has already failed at this boycott?
  3. Masanon Member

I kno, rite? On at least two occasions I wanted to use google maps and ended up using mapquest.

Getting them to repost elsewhere is the point.

Only an hour after I posted here last, I clicked on a video in another thread.

I'm going to try for no more slip ups.
  4. DarthXenu Member

It will be interesting to see how this went on alexa in a couple days:

Alexa the Web Information Company

Today it only shows up to december 16th
  5. moose Member

my 2ct:

ANONTUBE WON'T HAVE ANY UPDATES FROM 19-21 dec.

(btw, if anyone has a server + 30gig space + unlimited bandwith, please PM me ;)
  6. jar57 Member

if the video contains profanity or adult subject matter then youtube could just put a warning on the title. i personally do not want to hear profanity nor view anything with sexual content.
  7. DarthXenu Member

Yep, but they do not really care about freedom of speech, they just care about their business. Which is very fine since they are a business. So the thing is, are people concerned about free speech large enough to hurt their business? I guess we will find out.

This is in a way similar to the digg boycott like 2 years ago. On that one the user base won, to both digg and the MPAA. What will it be like with the youtube thing?
  8. Relyt Member

I'd use vimeo more often, but in order to use it for free, you can only upload less than 500 mb per week, and only up to 500 mb per upload, IF you haven't used any that week. For more, you have to pay, especially if you want to upload something HD.
  9. Anon1990.572 Member

Multiple accounts and proxies?
  10. ScudMuffin Member

I wouldn't use Vimeo the way I use jewtoob. Vimeo's more for serious films, Jewtoob is desposable pop culture.
  11. Relyt Member

Eh, not worth my time.
  12. The Shadow Member

Angry Video Game Nerd is GOD

I love his rant on the 'Power Glove', and trying to land the plane in 'Top Gun' with it:

"I'm trying to land the plane in 'Top Gun' with the f*cking POWER GLOVE! I can't even land the plane with the regular controller, how the F*CK am I supposed to do it with the Power Glove?!!"

And then he lands the plane...OMFG, the look on his face

LOL
  13. mrfyde Member

14. captainslug Member

Boycotts are gay
  15. Sock Puppet Member

Girlcotts too!
  16. captainslug Member

Girlcotts are almost as sexy as trundle beds.
  17. Evil Zoe Member

Yeah, the timing of that sort of takes a piss on the whole boycott thing, doesn't it? LOL
  18. DarthXenu Member

warner b/rothers?
  19. auchraw Member

It's MONDAY! I can has Youtube again
  20. mrfyde Member

21. Relyt Member

Still just less than 2 hours to go for me...

Also:
    Warn_a_brother.jpg
  22. Skeptic1337 Member

I did good this weekend and I PAed about 45 people to boycott.

Hopefully it made a dent enough for them to notice.

I say the upload a 2 min blackbox vid is a good next step :)
  23. auchraw Member

From Alexa YouTube peaked about June and has been losing traffic ever since. Our boycott confirms the trend. I would be surprised if YouTube had lost viewers because they were suddenly disgusted by sex and violence. Perhaps making videos was a trend, most people have now made their viideos, and they are now being used in a different way, to illustrate posts, to provide evidence and news. Or perhaps sites like Vimeo are making a real impact. It makes no difference if I click on a video in WWP and it is in Vimeo and not YouTube, so long as it runs. Lulu please note.
  24. 3rdMan Member

So, did this boycott do anything? Or iz jewtube still /notgiveashit
  25. Joda Member

So far, it seems YouTube's had a higher peak this weekend than their usual weekend peak. (Judging from Alexa's numbers). It doesn't seem the boycott's been very effective :( .
    I guess it's adblock from now on, and then a permanent boycott when the new censorship is instated.
  26. DarthXenu Member

yeah I looked at the alexa.com thing too. I guess the boycott did not work well.

I don't think we are able to do a full time boycott. We need youtube as a tool to spread information, even if it's so broken, it's still effective.

So I don't know. Should we choose some other video streaming site and bump it up so it can compete with youtube?

Numbers are big on this one. Even if we got like 10,000 people to join this boicott, I guess youtube just gets millions of visitors each day. 10,000 might not be enough. Anonymous might not be large enough for this sort of thing. We may need to look for some allies.
  27. Evil Zoe Member

Besides the boycott being doomed to fail in the first place, matters weren't helped any by the pullout of Warner videos in the middle of the boycott and the resulting press release.

Had there been any actual decrease in advertising numbers resulting from the boycott, it would most likely be attributed to the loss of revenue generated by the thousands of Warner videos being pulled at once.

I'm not even bringing into account the number of people who were working AGAINST the boycott because they thought it was inane.
  28. Re: BOYCOTT YOUTUBE December 19 - 21

no kidding, i had to defend myslef agaisnt 30 people telling me i dont know about free speech. fucking brainwashed sheeple. i hate how the internet can be so antagonistic for no reason.