Customize

Joyce Meyer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Anonymous Member

Anyone a fan of Joyce Meyer?

seems she uses some aspects of Scientology in her sermons
  2. Anonymous Member

So does good old Louis
  3. Anonymous Member

4. Anonymous Member

give specifics.

haven't listened to her in aeons.
    all those TBN preachers are scam artists.
  5. veravendetter Member

Are you implying she is consciously influenced by Scientology? I'm very familiar with her and others of her ilk, and I'm pretty sure she would take the position that it was 'not of God'. Whether you believe she would have this view genuinely, or simply to remain faithful to scripture/the flock is more a debate of her intentions.

Her stuff is very much in a self-help style, which may be creating (in my opinion formed without examples) coincidental similarities.

Remember, Scientology isn't that original either. Once you've hosed a lot of the barnacles and seaweed off, there is some simple psychology going on in parts of it; dressed and adorned to imply meaning not there.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Anonymous Member

her lecture style is somewhat the style of Hubbard, other subtleties . . .nevertheless she is helping others and her books are reasonably priced
  7. Anonymous Member

I've been meaning to order Battlefield of the Mind
  8. veravendetter Member

I think 'helping' can be a very subjective term. She may provide answers people want to hear, and this may even work for them on a day-to-day level. The value people gain from this may well be worth the price of her books, but I'm no Joyce Meyer cheerleader by anyone's defintion.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  10. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  11. Anonymous Member

12. Nancy Beazley Member

She's a savvy con artist with a huge fan base of unhappy women of the fundamentalist Christian ilk grateful to find someone who gives them permission to stand up for themselves. She has amassed a freaking fortune. She's not particularly smart. But she is very clever. And very greedy.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Anonymous Member

well, seems she uses some aspects of Scientology
  14. Anonymous Member

Like what?
  15. Anonymous Member

a leader living a lifestyle of the rich and famous--

excluding that she likely pays and treats her staff well
  16. Anonymous Member

It's like one of those cliches wherein she pretends to help the truly needy, but really helps herself, first and foremost.
    Like when Jan Crouch begged with crocodile tears for Mothers to send TBN their grocery money. Unbelievably selfish and materialistic.
    It's surprising that they still have a Non Profit tax status, considering hot they enrich themselves with donations to live in absurdly luxurious lifestyles. It's a fraud, and if their "JC" showed up at their studio tomorrow, they would probably kick out that guy for being a troublemaker. LOL
  17. Anonymous Member

yes, he would probably trash the $18,500 French crysal vases
  18. Smurf Member

19. Anonymous Member

$23,000 for toilet

is it true

Jesus Christ!
  20. Kilia Member

Why does Meyer remind me so much of Sarah Palin? Hmm...
  21. Anonymous Member

It's not actually Scientology that is the influence that the OP is referring to, it is something that is currently called "New Thought', (which I actually happen to like certain aspects of), but of course, like anything, it can be twisted or misapplied to self serving ends.
    one example of "New Thought" - http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/Christianity/New-Thought/Index.aspx
  22. Anonymous Member

how about James and Betty Robinson?
  23. Anonymous Member

I don't really follow them. I think you're getting into that other tv show... what the hell is that called..?
    Pat Robertson's show?
  24. Anonymous Member

I think that there is an element of "Prosperity" centered preaching, ( $$$ ).
  25. Anonymous Member

Anya on Wed, Aug 18 2010 at 03:31 am

At a time when I needed it most, I’ve discovered the books and teachings of Joyce Meyer.
    Can any of the previous writers give me an example of anything they’ve done to help people like me finding God again?
    While you are spending your time judging a person like Joyce, she is devoting her time teaching God’s love and prommisses to thousands of people like me.
    If you are really people from and in God, why don’t you approach Joyce in His love, and discuss some of the concerns you have about her teachings with her, instead of doing it behind her back on some website she probably doesn’t have the time to read and reply to?
    And stop envying the way in wich God is blessing her financially. Throughout the Bible we find examples of how He blessed people (who worshipped Him and who seeked His wisdom through prayer and devotion and in all honesty try to do and live according to His will) financially and/or with earthly belongings (Abraham,King Solomon, King David and others)
    God bless,
    Anya.
  26. Anonymous Member

If you like and are/were inspired by her, then OK?
    You don't need someone else's approval.
  27. Anonymous Member

Does a woman of God need to create a palatial fortress protected with armed guards?
    Can one be spiritually fulfilled without extreme materialism and dishonest solicitations for monies which are not directed to those who are truly in need? Does she appear to you to be walking like Jesus did?
  28. Anonymous Member

above is from comments in The Wartburg Watch

(is that a real name?)

Anya is correct about Abraham, Solomon, David, of course if David didn't have a palace with a balcony, ...
  29. Anonymous Member

Perhaps there is something out there.... that one moment that some lost soul out there in the world needed to hear a word of kindness, goodness and faith (whatever resonates as being true for them, religiously or otherwise), and if it helped that person in some desperate moment, like the "Anya" individual, then good.
  30. Anonymous Member

DA

if David had reported immediately to the Ethics Section in CoS . . .

ooouuuuch my brain
  31. Anonymous Member

nice!
  32. Anonymous Member

Anya is not here, it is a comment from The Wartburg Watch article - heavenly throne
  33. Anonymous Member

I am all for goodness.
  34. Anonymous Member

tammy-fay-baker.jpg?w=387&h=480.jpg

PTL!
  35. Anonymous Member

Being an ex sci-fag and a Joyce Meyer fan, I can tell you that there is a huge difference between the two. Probably the biggest difference is that Joyce Meyer is there for me to watch on TV whether I continue to give or not. I can read the books and listen to the CD's she sends me (for free every month whether I pay her a dime or not. She is not knocking on my door trying to harvest thousands of dollars because she heard I closed a business deal or my parent died and left me an inheritance. Just because someone makes a living helping people with religion or some philosophy doesn't make them bad. Sci-faggotry is in a whole different category because they are only willing to help someone if there is a potential harvest in the future, and if there is not, they will kick you to the curb, and if you tell anyone they kicked you to the curb, they will sue you and try to destroy you. LEAVE JOYCE ALONE!
  36. Smurf Member

Your heroine likes to help herself to the donations... just like David Miscavige.

On November 11, 2003, the St. Louis Post Dispatch published a four part series exposing Meyer’s "$10 million corporate jet, her husband’s $107,000 silver-gray Mercedes sedan, her then $2 million home and houses worth another $2 million for her four children," her $20 million headquarters, furnished with "$5.7 million worth of furniture, artwork, glassware, and the latest equipment and machinery, including a malachite round table, a marble-topped antique commode, a custom office bookcase, a $7,000 Stations of the Cross in Dresden porcelain, an eagle sculpture on a pedestal, another eagle made of silver, and numerous paintings," among many other expensive items — all paid for by "her ministry." The article prompted Wall Watchers (a Christian nonprofit watchdog group) to call on the Internal Revenue Service to investigate Meyer and her family.

http://more.stltoday.com/stltoday/n...c5099399d2fcc5fa86256ddf00661c5f?OpenDocument
    • Like Like x 2
  37. Anonymous Member

Dude, just because a person lives in a nice home, drives a nice car, etc. does not make them bad. I know you are an es sci-fag and I would assume that at one time you believed in it. If scientology/miscavige delivered what was promised and was actually what you thought it was the day you signed up, you just might still be in. The problem is it was all a lie and you were attacked for leaving. Scientology is like the "Hotel California", there is a price to pay if you leave. If you turned your back on Joyce Meyer and attacked her, she would probably just pray for you or something like that. Every prominent person/organization is going to have it's detractors and supporters now matter what they do. IMHO, scientology/dm should not be attacked because they making money helping people, but rather because they are taking advantage of vulnerable people and intentionally harming those they purport to help. If they weren't doing that, you and many people on these boards would probably just leave them alone. I'm just saying don't cloud the waters by attacking everyone out there who falls into the category of trying to help others.
    • Like Like x 1
  38. Smurf Member

The facts speak for themselves. I didn't write the expose.
    • Like Like x 1
  39. Anonymous Member

Anonymous said:
    Anya on Wed, Aug 18 2010 at 03:31 am

At a time when I needed it most, I’ve discovered the books and teachings of Joyce Meyer.
    Can any of the previous writers give me an example of anything they’ve done to help people like me finding God again?
    While you are spending your time judging a person like Joyce, she is devoting her time teaching God’s love and prommisses to thousands of people like me.
    If you are really people from and in God, why don’t you approach Joyce in His love, and discuss some of the concerns you have about her teachings with her, instead of doing it behind her back on some website she probably doesn’t have the time to read and reply to?
    And stop envying the way in wich God is blessing her financially. Throughout the Bible we find examples of how He blessed people (who worshipped Him and who seeked His wisdom through prayer and devotion and in all honesty try to do and live according to His will) financially and/or with earthly belongings (Abraham,King Solomon, King David and others)
    God bless,
    Anya.
  40. Anonymous Member

ask miranda.n ^ LOL