Customize

Proposed state constitutional amendment for Florida would allow cults to receive public funds

Discussion in 'Media' started by Scatman, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Scatman Member

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/apr/13/bill-asks-voters-let-state-money-go-religious-agen/

"The proposal, titled the Religious Freedom Act, would repeal a section of the Florida Constitution prohibiting the state from spending money, directly or indirectly, on "any church, sect, or religious denomination or in aid of any sectarian institution."
    It would also insert wording to ban the state from excluding groups or individuals based on their religion from contracting or otherwise participating in state programs."
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Anonymous Member

This smells like Scientology.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Actually, it sounds like the Fundamentalist Christians trying to get more money out of the state legislature.

Don't get me wrong, the clams would love to have something like this on the statute books, but I can't help suspect that all that money would be going to the sorts of "Christian" denominations that make Scientology look like the Girl Scouts (and who have actual, rather than imagined, influence at the highest levels)
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Even if it passes, the US Constitution trumps Florida's constitution. The First Amendment has the Establishment Clause, and Article VI Section 2 has the Supremacy Clause.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Even so, the Bush administration somehow got those Faith Based Initiatives pushed through. I still haven't figured that one out. I get a headache everytime I start looking into them; so, I have to stop.
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Anonymous Member

And Obama said he was going to increase the funding of Religion Based Initiatives.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Which proves that asshole Noam Chomsky right: Obama is Bush with better rhetoric.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. It boggles the mind. Religious good works (free stress tests! /s) are useful in helping the needy of a culture, but when it comes to tax dollars being funnelled to churches - of any flavor - it is unconstitutional. Frequently, corruption follows money. How do they keep justifying this?

My favorite Thomas Jefferson quote:

“To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagations of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical; the forcing him to support this or that teacher of his own religious persuasion, is depriving him of the comfortable liberty of giving his contributions to the particular pastor whose morals he would make his pattern, and whose power he feels most persuasive to righteousness; and is withdrawing from the ministry those temporary rewards, which proceeding from an approbation of their personal conduct, are an additional incentive to earnest and unremitting labours for the instruction of mankind."
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Anonymous Member

Sadly, I'm told by a native that this faggotry has been going on in Florida for quite some time. Governor Scott seems to be trying to turn the state into a Theocracy
    • Like Like x 2
  10. AnonLover Member

FFS, first Senator Grassley proffers to do away with b& on religions backing politicians and now this shi-

Everybody's trying to take away our Separation of Church & State rights.

Life in the US was soooo much easier when everbody feared the almighty power of the vatican would eventually take over the new world gubmint... when we only had to worry about capitalism and the mafia corrupting politicians. Nowadays we got all that plus all the evangelical groups in the religious right trying to get a piece of capitalist tyranny pie by having their own politico pawns and sock puppets.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Sponge Member

Voters will get to weigh in on 'Blaine Amendment'
    The Buzz, from the Staff of the St.Petersburg Times 6th may 2011
    Posted by Patricia Mazzei
    http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/the-b...ontent/voters-will-get-weigh-blaine-amendment

• Like Like x 1
  12. AnonLover Member

oh thats lovely!
  13. Anonymous Member

Conversely, "Florida Legislators are for sale", per Howard Troxlor, political columnist for St Pete Times. And he would be correct. Just when we thought it couldn't get any worse, conditions in Florida are ripe for a whole new kind of meltdown. You be the judge if Miscavige will take full advantage and slither up to the paybooth of FL snakes and pirates and with huge vats of $$. I'm thinking this could backfire later on in equally vast and explosive ways, but let the dimwit dwarf knaw on that puzzle.

Note, Mr Troxler gives a what to do and who to tell it to link at the end of his article.
    http://www.tampabay.com/news/politi...ain-floridas-legislators-are-for-sale/1160221
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sponge Member

Palm Coast’s Rabbi Shapiro and Education Trio Sue Over “Religious Freedom” Amendment
    Flaglerlive.com 20th July 2011
    http://flaglerlive.com/25508/florida-religious-freedom-amendment/comment-page-1
  16. Lorelei Member

• Like Like x 1
  17. moarxenu Member

Rather than mucking around with constitutional issues I think the people of Florida would be better off having a law making it illegal to provide taxpayer funding to any organization pledged to the destruction of the medical specialty of psychiatry, psychology, social work and related professions whether or not that organization is religious or secular. This way there are no constitutional church-state issues standing in the way of excluding the cult.
  18. anonymous612 Member

It would also help if they stopped electing admitted criminals to public office. Just saying.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Anonymous Member

This is the United States of America, you twit. It is tradition to elect criminals & liars to public office.
  20. anonymous612 Member