Customize

Scientology has been Gaming the New York Times Best Seller list

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by MarlieK, Dec 15, 2009.

1. MarlieK Member

Scientology has been Gaming the New York Times Best Seller list

I thought this deserves it's own thread.

tl;dr: Scientology had obtained the list of bookstores that report their sales to the New York Times & called Scientologists to have them buy specific books at those stores to game the New York Times Best Seller list.

According to Will, according to Moxon, the New York Times would not be pleased to know this and would prevent their books from getting on the Best seller list again if discovered.

So, who do we contact at the New York Times?
  2. Anon123456 Member

Re: Scientology has been Gaming the New York Times Best Seller list

yeah what he^ said.
  3. _You_ Member

well it looks like we do. Any more evidence I can harpoon them with
  4. Anon123456 Member

can any of you exes corroborate this shit?
  5. MarlieK Member

I would also like to personally thank Ken Moxon for his wonderful advice on this issue. Thanks Kenny! (And try to keep your kids out of the Sea Org. It's sad to see them electrocute themselves.)
  6. XenuLovesU Member

The New York Times > Member Center > Site Help > customer service: Information and Services Directory

# LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
    E-mail to letters@nytimes.com.

# NEWS DEPARTMENT

The Editors
    executive-editor@nytimes.com
    managing-editor@nytimes.com

The Newsroom
    news-tips@nytimes.com; thearts@nytimes.com; bizday@nytimes.com; foreign@nytimes.com; metro@nytimes.com; national@nytimes.com; sports@nytimes.com; washington@nytimes.com

# TO WRITE THE PUBLISHER OR PRESIDENT
    Arthur Sulzberger Jr., Chairman & Publisher:
    publisher@nytimes.com.

Scott H. Heekin-Canedy, President, General Manager
    president@nytimes.com.
  7. qwerty1234 Member

Damn you copypasta'd the emails quicker than I could manage!

Do we have any other evidence of all this? Or do we harpoon with what little we have and hope for the best?
  8. _You_ Member

Message to Will Fry
    This is the kind of info needed to prove visa fraud with regards to the human trafficking investigation. I started a thread titled US Homeland Security Investigation. I can't find the thread but a women named Katerina is investigating CoS for human trafficking. Her email is in one of the last comments on that thread. Please foward your statement to her. TY
  9. _You_ Member

10. MarlieK Member

Historical listing of New York Times Best Seller list.
    New York Times Best Seller List
  11. MarlieK Member

Confirmed "Ai! Pedrito!" (1998):

Powered by Google Docs
  12. MarlieK Member

13. _You_ Member

Here is the email to the person handling the trafficking investigation katerina.karousos@dhs.gov this would prove visa fraud as many sea org members from other countries are working at BPI as religious workers
  14. MarlieK Member

Confirmed "A Very Strange Trip" (1999)

Powered by Google Docs
  15. OTBT Member

Interesting, I wasn't aware of the US Homeland Security investigation.

This might help, USCIS official gov't dox, (Religious Worker Visa appeals decisions) concerning foreign Sea Org members working at Bridge publications:

http://www.exposescientology.com/visadox/050928_SEP282005_03C1101.pdf

http://www.exposescientology.com/visadox/060221_Feb212006_01C1101.pdf
  16. MarlieK Member

It doesn't appear that the book "What is Scientology" made the New York Times Bestseller list in the years 1998, 1999 or 2000. Does anyone have any information on this?
  17. DeathHamster Member

The fiction stuff was moved over to Galaxy Press, which is a Doing Business As alias for Author Services Inc (ASI). ASI, is a for-profit which is (per the IRS agreement) wholly owned by religious non-profit Church of Spiritual Technology (weird vaults), which as the place where Hubbard's estate ended up (Author's Family Trust B), holds the copyrights and can yank the trademarks from RTC for a few bucks.

ASI/Galaxy Press is staffed by Sea Org, so it's just a game of shells and hats. ASI was the big money pipeline while Hubbard was alive (going back to at least 1962), and where Davie was running all of Scientology from for a few years until he shifted to RTC.

Theoretically (in moon-bat country), if CoS was in revolt and RTC was crumbling, Davie could arm the self-destruct, and jump into his CST escape pod, pull all copyright and trademark permissions from the existing Church of Scientology/RTC and (with loot hidden in the vaults) pop a new Church of American Science to take over while armies of lawyers battled to the death. If he managed to transfer ownership of all those buildings to the new organization, he'd level-up, for sure!
  18. DeathHamster Member

Costly Strategy Continues to Turn Out Bestsellers June 28, 1990, Robert W. Welkos, Los Angeles Times
  19. xenubarb Member

Earl Cooley is dead.
    That is all.
  20. voiceless849 Member

I can corroborate *some* of this post. TL;DR: The things alleged in this post seem authentic to me.

Details:

1) Staff were ordered to sell books, anytime possible. This was a problem for me, since I rarely saw any public. But the order was still standing.

2) Staff were paid profits on the books sold. What pissed me off is that the Book Store Office (whose job it was to sell books!) got the same compensation as I did. And the compensation was pretty rich, I think it was 15% of the sales volume, but don't quote me on it. So, while I made do with my $20/week of income, the Book Store Officer drove around in a nice Saab with black leather interior.

3) Bridge was located in the Pac Base, around the corner from the AO. I don't know if they printed stuff there, but it would be logical to have a "Pacific" book store sales position.

4) The culture of being on staff was such that having access to secret information would have been prized. Remember, that the staffers all themselves believe that they are privy to secret knowledge that makes them superior to everybody else.

Again, I say: the things alleged in this post seem authentic to me.
  21. the anti Member

I saw some video awhile back talking about getting scientologist to buy new copies of whatever LRH books come out just to get it on the bestsellers list, anyone else remember seeing something like that?
  22. realitybites Member

^ I remember reading about it a long time ago, probably in P.Cooper's book or another similar work.
  23. _You_ Member

24. LocalSP Member

Perhaps it's time to send a copy of this article to remind the New York Times of this blatant form of fraud.
  25. FUCK Member

26. DeathHamster Member

What we need to do is implant them with the idea that they should buy up all the copies of critical books so that no one will read them.
  27. _You_ Member

This may be old, but good news.

That LA Times report rocked my socks. I had no idea that the LA Times had some awesome comprehensive reports on the subject.
  28. JohnnyRUClear Member

Yes; epic win there. And yet, the cult (rick)rolled right along anyway. Nothing could be done about it, it seemed.

"Times" have changed. :)
  29. lambear Member

May be relevant or not--as part of the LRHPPRO I was required to check out books at the library to make sure that they had a history of being read. Therefore, being ordered to buy books to make a stat look good is not unbelievable.
  30. DeathHamster Member

Not just bought, but in some cases handed back in so they could be boxed up and shipped out again as new.

There were several reports of staff in bookstores opening up boxes and finding bookmarks for other chains already in the books.
  31. genoramix Member

yummy sauce....man the harpoons!!!
  32. willhaven720 Member

Oh wow. I totally missed this thread. Thanks for the support, all!
  33. Anonymous Member

We need to get our hands on that list the Scilons used. Chances are they still have it even though it is probably outdated.
    Unfortunately operatives are scarce at this particular time that could have access to where this might be however I will see if we have someone who can discreetly look around.
  34. the_cloak Member

So has God and everyone. How do you think Oprah got her start writing books? Used her show to whip up her fangrrls into a frenzy to buy up her book and boost it into "best selling" status.
  35. Anonymous Member

Started looking up Robert Welkos, the LA Times journalist who wrote the article mentioned above. He the LAT in 2008 and his last column is a reverie, starting with the time he interviewed Wyatt Earp. Hurp durp.

Welkos Wire signs off - LA Observed

Here's his article about being "fair gamed": Shudder into Silence, http://www.holysmoke.org/cos/harassed-and-abused-quill.htm

And look where he has JUST landed! http://www.thewrap.com/ind-column/hollywood-film-fest-founder-launches-entertainment-news-site-12800

36. Anonymous Member

Yet again, someone's pet is attacked.
  37. willhaven720 Member

Oh.

I didn't realize that Oprah owned a church and paid slave labor wages to children for this.

My bad.
  38. lingling Member

Don't feel bad. Most people don't know about Oprah's evil mind control cult, the Church of Child Slave Labour. Only a few frothy xtian fundamentalists, and of course, alex jones, really know teh truth. It's supposed to be a book club, but really it's over 9000 people who are taking over the entire universe. trufax.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7liYfhRgXGk&feature=related"]YouTube- LOLPRAH: OVER 9000 PENISES![/ame]

:eek:
  39. willhaven720 Member

ZOMG SO EPIC!!!

BatRoy-throatyrsc.gif
  40. grumpus Member

Just watched your interview on youtube, Will. Great stuff, and congratulations on getting out!

There have been stories about this kind of manipulation of Elron's sale for quite awhile.

Here's one from the San Diego Union-Tribune in 1990:

San Diego Union - HUBBARD HOT-AUTHOR STATUS CALLED ILLUSION - April 1990

I bet Arnie Lerma could point out more off the top of his head, but his massive archives can be daunting to dig in. And I think he's on his honeymoon right now.

Operation Clambake Message Board :: View topic - CONGRATULATIONS, Mr. and Mrs. Lerma~~!!!!

Like others have said, I know I've read multiple reports of this over the years in reading up on Hubbard/Co$, but I can't recall all the sources. I don't remember ever seeing any hard evidence about it. Maybe in Gerry Armstrong court docs? Hmm... now I have to dig around some.

Anyway, I'm not sure manipulation of the list is a crime except for the stealing of the list itself, and they could have just bribed someone for it. I can see how it ties into the ecclesiastical fraud aspect, though. And perhaps Visa falsifications? Is that the angle?