Customize

The Complex/John Duignan/Amazon Book Banning Megathread

Discussion in 'Anonymous vs Scientology Archive' started by anonymous1312, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Re: Amazon pulls sale of The Complex by John Duignan for "legal reasons"

Well I know the Amazon owned IMDb will err on the side of Scientology and doesn't care about scieno stalking and threatening other users!!!!!!

Rant over.
  2. basil Member

Re: Amazon pulls sale of The Complex by John Duignan for "legal reasons"

I guess, once this gets out, and whatever the 'legal reasons' are have been tossed out of court, "THE BOOK THEY TRIED TO BAN" will help its eventual sales.

Let's just hope that Merlin has the balls to challenge the scifags in court, and serve them justice.
  3. auchraw Member

The problem is probably that the publisher or distributor is being threatened with huge damages for defamation, but if Mr Duignan is telling the truth, is this not a valid defence? There was the same problem with Andrew Morton's unauthorized biography of TC and several other books have disappeared, pulled by publishers afraid of their skins. Can we not set up an Anonymous publishing house to put all these testimonies on-line? Save trees?
  4. Optimisticate Member

That's an easy enough and noble idea, but the concept of selling books is to not only get your story out to the world, but to make a profit. It would work only if the authors could profit from it, as they should. Stephen King, one of the most prodigious of modern authors, found that online distribution didn't work if you want to make money. No one wants to pay for a book they can't hold in their hands, that they might lose if their machine crashes, and that they have to read on a monitor. tl;dr and all that.

Also, a lot of people don't realize that they can get their story out there by just creating a blog.

I think demands should be made of not only the distributor, but the publisher for comments on these 'legal reasons'. For some reason, I don't think the reason is plagiarism.
  5. Optimisticate Member

6. jar57 Member

Re: The Register: Amazon UK pulls Scientology exposé for 'legal reasons'

can not wait to buy that book
  7. Mutante Member

In the meantime, why not take this opportunity to visit your local book store and insert 'You Found The Card' into every single Scientology and Dianetics book they carry.
  8. xenulondon Member

Do any of you have a good reading voice?

Do you fancy reading it for us blind/lazy/dyslexic anons who can't (or don't want to) read.

Idea: how many chapters are there? What if we split the work and one person did each chapter? That would be awesome.

(We still need to figure out how we get permission from the author + publisher and .. how we'd pay them)
  9. an_anonymous Member

I believe its time for a special "why is scientology censoring critics?" version
  10. vegnej Member

Great we got journalists who like to do a bit of investigative journalism, like trawl the internet. So when they gonna get real and take a look at the blue asbestos and the failwinds. !!!!!!!!1
  11. paulc Member

At least the signs are promising, the more people that pick this up the better. Please keeping digging the story and we'll get this to wider audience: Digg - Amazon UK pulls Scientology exposé for 'legal reasons'
  12. Crusty Member

protip: Journalists don't trawl the net, they get tips. But tipping journalists requires care, consideration, and restraint. Take this case - a story about Amazon, an internet phenomenon, is likely to be of some interest to El Reg - the journalist has covered Anon in the past - and this tipster has not tried to get him interested in every single goings on over here - but has had enough contact over the year that the anon email address used was possibly familiar.

ie: this didn't just happen - I'm not looking to take credit [hence the old account], (and indeed, others may have also been in contact) but to encourage more Anon to think outside the box about ways they could help create wins, and for great justice - rather than following the crowd and waiting for something to happen.
  13. themadhair Member

I'll pass that on to the publisher.
  14. paulc Member

^^^ I agree with this. Stuff doesn't happen because enough people shout that it should, stuff happens because people build up the contacts to get things done.
  15. Mutante Member

Cepstral David FTW
  16. The Shadow Member

The Shadow is willing to do a spoken word version, the idea of doing something like that always appealed to me. If someone wants to send me a copy, I'll read the whole damn thing if neccessary!
  17. Relyt Member

The Scilons are already trying to bury everyone's comments. Make sure you get on the digg page and digg all the positive comments so they don't get buried.
  18. Re: The Register: Amazon UK pulls Scientology exposé for 'legal reasons'

Left comments on killa article
  19. anonymous1312 Member

20. moose Member

I would like to see what happens if someone tried to sell this book on ebay ;)
  21. Borg Member

This book is available in Ireland still. Flights from Ryan Air and Air Lingus are £5 and £4 return as long as they are booked 14 days ahead.

We could organise a mass trip and publicity stunt if we go there and buy all the books to bring over here and sell them (sorry, give them away for a small donation towards expenses) outside every Org doing stress tests and Dianetic book selling in the UK.
  22. anonymous1312 Member

I'm sure that's being well monitored and eBay have probably already received an equavelent phoney C&D letter. Of course there is also the issue of who ever selling it is a scilon plant. (tinfoil)
  23. Olrik Member

We've got an article in french here:
    La scientologie expulsée des ventes d'Amazon pour raisons légales - Actualitté - Une page de caractère
    It's a small litterary site.

VERY Rough translation:
  24. Re: Amazon pulls sale of The Complex by John Duignan for "legal reasons"

Respectfully snipped...the above is not quite true (insert Dylan) the times, they are a changing....I am the proud owner of a Kindle...and I agree with you that initially, I was hesitant to get one, for exactly the reasons you mentioned....so I didn't. Then I got one as a surprise for my birthday....and I love it. At home I use the library because I really am a RABID reader going through 6-7 books a week which would be very expensive...but I use the Kindle for traveling, and for buying books I want to own and read over and over, or for in situations when I haven't been to the library and want something right then to read...I shop and download instantly.

I would not have bought David McCullough's John Adam's biography because it was heavy and 762 pages long...I probably would have read it from the library, but when I saw it was available in digital format, I snapped it up!

If John D's book was available in digital format (on Amazon it's Kindle) I would have already purchased it..and so would many other Kindle owners around the world because delivery is automatic and crosses borders.

Also could someone kindly post a phonetic pronunciation of John's last name? Thanks.
  25. Re: Amazon pulls sale of The Complex by John Duignan for "legal reasons"

Dye-gnun.
  26. beret Member

DO IT FAGGOTS.

Also, I'm talkin' with my homies in DC to see if we could possibly send you guys money for shipping and cost in exchange for you mailing the book to our P.O. box...
  27. moarxenu Member

Hai guise! I ordered my copy of Teh Complex from Easons's online on Sunday, November 9 to be shipped to the West Coast, USA. I just got an email that it has been shipped. So it looks like you can order it to be shipped outside of Ireland.

Easons Ordering Info
  28. T.W.C_Anon Member

I ordered mine as well from there ( http://www.eason.ie/look/9781903582848/Complex/John-Duignan ) to Canada without a hitch. Cost total was EUR24.99 (euro) which is a bit steep however worth it. I will donate said book to local library when I am done with it.

Links won't paste properly for me, cocks and such.
  29. Optimisticate Member

30. Re: The Register: Amazon UK pulls Scientology exposé for 'legal reasons'

Also here now, again courtesy of The Register:

theBookseller.com
  31. paulc Member

^^^ This.
  32. Still Alive Member

33. paulc Member

34. 3rdMan Member

Re: Glosslip Covers The Register/Amazon Book Pulling Incident

And thus Amazon whores themselves to Scilons for a second time.
  35. 3rdMan Member

Re: Glosslip Covers The Register/Amazon Book Pulling Incident

Interesting comment I found on the digg article. Would the same public outcry get the book back on Amazon?
  36. Re: Glosslip Covers The Register/Amazon Book Pulling Incident

Nice job Glosslip... still around and still doing it well....
  37. Re: Glosslip Covers The Register/Amazon Book Pulling Incident

Thanks for the coverage Dawn
  38. Re: The Register: Amazon UK pulls Scientology exposé for 'legal reasons'

DUG!
  39. Re: The Register: Amazon UK pulls Scientology exposé for 'legal reasons'

Update: Amazon US says "we're awaiting arrival of the inventory into our fulfillment networks. As soon as we get the books in our fulfillment centers, we'll start shipping them out to customers."