Customize

The Complex/John Duignan/Amazon Book Banning Megathread

Discussion in 'Anonymous vs Scientology Archive' started by anonymous1312, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Still Alive Member

2. 13Heathens Member

Re: The Complex/John Duignan/Amazon Book Banning Megathread

It can be sold in Ireland tho? If someone can tell me bookstore where it can be found please PM me so I can forward the info to one of my Irish contacts. now THAT would be a fun book to do a series on.
  3. themadhair Member

4. Re: The Register: Amazon UK pulls Scientology exposé for 'legal reasons'

HUMM change story much Amazon?
  5. Anonxmous Member

Unfortunately, all press queries re Amazon are piped through a US phone number. And the Amazon response is true in so much as it agrees with the info at amazon.COM

My bet is the response came before anyone in Amazon's US PR department had dug down to the real story wrt .CO.UK - probably just checked their US catalog system, and reported back what it said there.
  6. xenubarb Member

7. Scatman Member

That has already been discussed and there is no evidence to support that theory. The book should be available again from Amazon.com in the U.S. when stocks replenish.
  8. T.W.C_Anon Member

We will see what goes on there shall we? Shouldn't take more than a couple of days at most I would think. I ordered mine from Eason in Ireland and they already shipped it.
  9. LarryBren Member

Just to show what an "SP" John is, I thought I would show a couple of pics of John Duignan with four of his SP friends from last September in Hamburg:

Copyofmisc045.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Copyofmisc046.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

If anyone cares to check out my little Hamburg album those pics are in, there are also some really nice pics of some of the Anons there. I had to leave a number of pics out as they included faces of one or more Anons.

Anyway, we're chatting about John and his book and I thought some of you might like to see him from Hamburg.
  10. T.W.C_Anon Member

Baleeted

Double post

cocks and such...
  11. Re: The Complex/John Duignan/Amazon Book Banning Megathread

Surprisingly, I never thought I would actually have to thank CoS for something. I would never had known about the book if they didn't try to ban it, and now, I really wanna see what's so damning that they're sweating buckets to keep the lid on.

Thanks for being one-dimensional morons once again CoS! You can be sure that this book will now get more hype and more readers than before!
  12. AnonOrange_ Member

Trying to boycott Amazon won't work. Our influence is tiny and won't help much.

We have to SHAME them through massive news dissemination. This should have much more of an effect. Fax to news editors of at least 5 papers/magazines. (BTW, faxes are more effective than e-mails, they rarely get faxes nowadays and it gets their attention).

Another simple thing you can do is add the book (as well as the other book Escaping Scientology) to your shopping cart. It's a simple thing to do, which triggers their ordering system. Surely not everybody at Amazon agrees with this book ban. When the order dept sees a substantial demand, discussions will ensue.
  13. Anonynamefag Member

Good ideas. We need to look into this.
    I'm sure TIME would like an update on the cult.
  14. basil Member

I've placed an order with Amazon UK, and it says it's awaiting an "in stock" date, rather than "not able to supply".
  15. booski Member

nothing short of this sort of carry on

Book-burning.gif

seriously this reminds me of micheal moores dude wheres my country book that lay in warehouses until the librarians did something about it.

"I really didn't realize the librarians were, you know, such a dangerous group. ... You think they're just sitting at the desk, all quiet and everything. They're like plotting the revolution, man. I wouldn't mess with them. You know, they've had their budgets cut. They're paid nothing. Books are falling apart. The libraries are just like the ass end of everything, right?"

Michael Moore
  16. wolfyrik Member

Amazon.co.uk can't even find the book anymore. You get nada even under an isbn search.
  17. wolfyrik Member

Amazon.co.uk can't even find the book anymore. You get nada even under an isbn search.
  18. Anon752 Member

19. Anon752 Member

20. DeMiNe0 Member

It's 12:48pm EST, and that Digg made it to the front page. Good job guys. Keep it up!

Digg - News
  21. DeMiNe0 Member

It's 12:48pm EST, and that Digg made it to the front page. Good job guys. Keep it up!

Digg - News
  22. moxie Member

Over 900!
    The story is everywhere in the blogisphere.

Popular demand and public pressure and demand for copies got Amazon to relist Atack's A Piece of Blue Sky after co$ had it removed for "legal reasons"

Likely they will use the same tech again:

Scientology Book an Open Issue
  23. paulc Member

I'm amazed about how its gone. My first submission to Digg! Win me thinks.
  24. Anonynamefag Member

25. Anonynamefag Member

baleeted, double-post is double
  26. Anonxmous Member

Ahem, not that we weren't about to do it anyway. NYPA etc...

Anyway, that issue is behind us. Apologies to those who have seen me going on about this in the other threads but since:

... one suggestion is to find out who the book reviewers are for your newspaper / magazine / radio station etc, and email them directly, or via the publications address with "FAO: Name" in the subject.

Book people are both well connected in the media, and really don't like book censorship - like, REALLY don't like... So the distributed power of Anon can reach behind whoever filters press releases and get straight to the media folk who are most likely to be very interested. ALSO it will greatly increase the number of published reviews, which will make this particular footbullet explosively charged.

Some copypasta (a bit out of date now - you'd want to tweak ít anyhow) is at this post

Launch away...
  27. LarryBren Member

I just got home from work and noticed that John has gone public and is asking for the press help.

I am the "LovingLife" he refers to in his request. (My screenname on ex scientologists is LovingLife625).

So now that I can make it public, John was the source of my info and here is a copy of his most recent PM to me asking for help in response to a PM I sent him asking if I could publish more info on whyweprotest:

"Hi Larry,

We are now moving into full press mode, please tell tell thaem that a letter was sent to me, Merlin and my co author from a legal firm in England representing one person named in the book, it indicated that the context was defamatory. The letter was written in scientologoese, it was sloppy and contained factual inaccuracies. Our legal team has replied in the strongest possible terms. We sent the reply also in Scientologese.... Now with Tom Cruise popping over to Amazon..... Lets go mad, what?

John"

I'm in if I can help in any way!
  28. Anonynamefag Member

Welcome aboard the hound squad, Larry. :]
  29. leebelle Member

Everybody. READ. This.

How can the rich still be buying our silence with this 13th-century law?

The Guardian, Wednesday September 17 2008

[original with references - author's site]

Also, by the same author (+references)

Censored by Money

Posted July 15, 2008

So... should we tolerate this?

Remember the Spycatcher case.

Amazon is breaching the European Convention of Human Rights, by abusing its dominant position as a retailer to practically gag the author in the UK. If the author is sued, then it's his own problem, not Amazon's. But that's no excuse not to carry a book deemed legal for circulation in other EU states. After all, the european branch of Amazon is a company registered in Luxembourg.

"Amazon.co.uk is the trading name for Amazon EU Sàrl and Amazon Services Europe S.à.r.l."
  30. anonymous1312 Member

Just an FYI - Eason Internet have just confirmed my copy will be shipped today. Yay! Sucks Boo Scilons!
  31. Optimisticate Member

One person mentioned in the book said it's defamatory. The author is questioning the Tomfather's role. The hounds have been released, and they're not coming back to their cages any time soon!

Remember, remember.... censorship is what created this whole shitstorm back in January to begin with. DO NOT FAIL.
  32. Optimisticate Member

dupe post FTW
  33. leebelle Member

The problem isn't "how to get this book", but "should a retailer decide if you should get this book".
  34. T.W.C_Anon Member

Fuck that, I decide what I get and what I don't.

My copy is in the mail, hopefully here soon.
  35. leebelle Member

As a matter of fact, you don't.

You are allowed to buy whatever is available to you. If there aren't any news or retailer channels to feed you, you are unable to learn about products.

This is why the abuse of a retailer's dominant market position matters. Even if most people don't buy things from Amazon, they use it as a database with product information. If the product is not available there, other scared smaller retailers, could practically withdraw the book from circulation.

This isn't about you and me. We know about the book. We will eventually find a way to buy the book.

This is about other people learning about the book. That's why Scientology goes for the big fish.
  36. shadowchaser Member

The censoring / attempted banning of Spycatcher was not about defamation though. It was due to breaching the official secrets act, so is not a very good comparison.
  37. anonymous1312 Member

Indeed, however people were still able to buy it from outside the country even then and one person read excerpts from Speakers corner in London.

Defamation is a crock law and needs to be amended. I wouldn't go so far as the USA in some ways, partly coz that opens the door for scilon smear campaigns but I would loosen it up quite a bit.
  38. webkilla Member

i am so loving this - great scilon footbullets shoot deep :D
  39. Re: The Complex/John Duignan/Amazon Book Banning Megathread

Goddamn crappy website. Double post.