Customize

UK Cult information charity (CIC) faces Charity Commission curb after Scientology complaint

Discussion in 'Media' started by Sponge, Jan 12, 2012.

1. CarltonBANKS Member

Ian Howarth is an unsung hero.

He's very, very brave and selfless. He is defiant, dauntless & resolute.
    • Like Like x 5
  2. CarltonBANKS Member

--

I am fucking outraged that they were forced to remove those links :mad:

Does anyone have a few minutes spare? Please can someone go to archive.org and see if you can find the links to harmful cults (like scientology etc).
  3. RolandRB Member

England is doinitrite as well. The the City of London Corporation gives 270k GBP in mandatory rates relief to an organisation that isn't a charity anywhere that some would call a cult while the C.I.C. faces losing its charitable status.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Anonymous Member

Lol, Very droll. They should call you DrollandRB.
    • Like Like x 5
  5. Sponge Member

Sept 2008 was the last archive which had a "groups" menu that contained links to non-academic, non-goverment unofficial sites.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20080926061306/http://www.cultinformation.org.uk/links.html

Current home page: http://www.cultinformation.org.uk/
    There is no equivalent "groups" menu with links like the old archived site.

I've no idea when the change occurred precisely since there is a big gap from the previous archive to today. Archives were fairly regular before that last one in 2008 but not after.

This is just the scientology section there are shit tons of other links for other cults (I've taken out the webarchive.org prefix on the URLs so you can see the orignal links more easily.....

Scientology / Dianetics / L. Ron Hubbard:
    • Like Like x 5
  6. Sponge Member

.... be careful though. As far as the links go, there is an argument for Cult Information and Victim Support charities to maintain a separation from links to activist venues and other non-charitable, non-academic and non-governmental resources. We'll need to get a specific timeline of events because I'm just not sure when those links disappeared and if it is anything to do with the current issue. They do have a section on the current site with links but is nothing like what they used to have so I don't know if the current issue is to do with those links they have now http://www.cultinformation.org.uk/help.html (which are largely limited to charitable organisations now) or anything else on the that is on current site or to do with the Cult Information Centre's charitable purposes in general.
    You would also really need to know what the rules and guidelines are, from the charities commission before you go wading in with a rage on.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Herro Member

You have to admit, the Church trolls deep. If they somehow managed to cause the CIC to lose their status you'd have to tip your hat to them.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Anonymous Member

He's also an Amway apologist, but nobody's perfect.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. RolandRB Member

What my Bro, Herro, is saying is that we need to troll deep and make the "Church" lose its tax exempt status in the UK.

Please see the London Rates relief thread - I've got an idea on how to lose them their 80% rates relief.

Thanks, Herro, for helping to inspire us.
    • Like Like x 5
  10. Herro Member

Any time broesph, any time.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. CarltonBANKS Member

I'd be very surprised if he was.

Amway is that pyramid scheme cosmetics, multi-level marketing company, right?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Anonymous Member

You missed a little bit of history here. His work as a consultant with Amway for over a decade, and his directing of Amway victims back to Amway when they approached the CIC looking for help, a large reason why the CIC is no longer a FECRIS member.

And yes, he really did with the CIC and Amway what 'New CAN' does with Scientology, all while being on the Amway payroll. If you do a little googling for David Brear's essays (more like rants, but you cannot blame him) you get the gory details.
  13. CarltonBANKS Member

oh, some random guy's essays? you should have said.
  14. grebe Member

Amway kinda scares me.

Xe is a CIA thing, I think. I will have to look stuff up cuz my memory sucks.
  15. Anonymous Member

Blackwater is well-connected mercenary outfit. Erik Prince is ex-military and from a family that has been a significant source of funds for the Christian Right.

They made a lot of money in Iraq.
  16. DeathHamster Member

I don't know about Brear, but the anti-Brear pages sure look like cult sites.

http://www.amwaywiki.com/Critics#David_Brear (Amway cult site with familiar critic names)
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Anonymous Member

Didn't know where else to direct you since pretty much none of this history is on the interwebs. Was there anything in particular I have said that you believe to be untrue? I'm sure if you have any contacts among UK OG you should be able to find out that what I have told you is true.
  18. Read some of Brear's stuff after his mention here. He sounds genuine, not unlike many protesters here.

And he points out how amway shares many of the same warning signs of a cult- disconnection, private specialized language, near slavery of minors and young adults, money constantly being kicked upline, etc etc. Any anon looking at that list would recognize the disease.

Quite a few deaths of young people out selling on the road.
  19. DeathHamster Member

20. grebe Member

There's probably no great way to get rid of MLMs. But maybe we could educate people better about organizations with a whole lotta people each getting a cut of the action.

Once you get in the game, the soap is not the issue. The soap is totally beside the point. All that matters is the cut.
  21. Anonymous Member

Certainly not until people start understanding the basic premises of why pyramid schemes are a bad idea. It never ceases to astound me how many intelligent people struggle to understand this stuff…