Customize

What can we do from outside of Iran ?

Discussion in 'Protest Advice' started by Unregistered, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Ray Murphy Member

Summary of websites

Hello All,
    This is my first message here.
    Does anyone know if there are websites where lots of good URL's can be found?

Ray
  2. There's plenty of links in this thread alone.
  3. Ray Murphy Member

I was hoping to see web pages with an index and descriptions - to save searching.
  4. mrcruzi

I agree with you rick, the iranians need to have there own intrests looked after first if the goverment was to roll over and not have other countrys fill the gap for there own greedy means.. or we will be back to sqaure one,,
  5. Iranian Embassy demonstration

To all the people who organize demonstrations all aver the world:

I saw, was on and heard about a lot of Demonstrations all over the world...
    Lets start a big demonstration around the whole world where everyone who wants to demonstrate meet at the iranian embassy in that country he lives in!
    If it is possible to organize that all this demonstrations happen at the same time it would be more effective than all this small demonstrations or a big demonstration somewhere!
    I think we should try this!!!

I will try to help where and when ever i can!

P.S.: I don't know where to post this, may be this is the wrong place?! Sorry!
  6. just ideas and links...
    there is never enough what we can do...but we can try many little thinks,cause we are the people...
    to show our solidarity,lets go green ...everyone who runs a website can make the startsite transparent green for one special day.it only needs a small script or html code i think.

there is an old online demonstration kid, a small script who can run on every machine used to blog a special site on a special date for some our...its near a ddos attack but more like a big sit in-with this skript we can blog a iran gov site to show solidarity.

wanna said it again its not a Ddos attack in a classic way cause thousend of people use it and it needs to spread the world...

it was public used in germany 2001
    for another demonstration you can read about here : Online Demonstration germany 2001 to understand what onlinedemostration mean.

onlineprotestskript direkt download: http://www.geocities.com/demo4alles/download/od_source.zip for windows http://www.geocities.com/demo4alles/download/od_source.tar.gz or linuxsystems
  7. I just wanted to say I'm amazed by all the Iranian protesters, and I support your cause for a free land with all my heart. I have been directing many of my friends and relatives to this board so that they can see the passion that inflames all of you. I will do my best to support the cause, and I'm sure my friends will to. May whatever deity you worship bring you good fortune, success, and continue to drive your spirit.
  8. vkh961 Member

Hi all,

for all Iranians, if they need someone to upload their videos & photos on the internet i can do it. i'm online 24/24 !!
    I also can translate into many languages ( nearly 5, among them arabic )

People of Iran,
    Freedom you will get
    Dictatorship you will kill
  9. Twitter

Do people in Iran know about Twitwall which gives the option of much longer entries than just the 144 characters?

Welcome! TwitWall - Instant Blogging Companion for Twitter

Might be useful

Also think the way people in the west can help is by keeping interested, even when things go quiet! Following this site is a great way to stay informed.
    The change may take months or longer, but it will come, and if there is anyway that we can keep encouraging people that will surely help.
  10. Rule #ζʹ: first, do no harm. Start from there.
  11. helpfuled

We should all pray for the souls of Neda and Christopher Leggett. They were innocent victims of ignorance and evil. Thinking Arabs should consider: What kind of religion or government it is that does evil in God's Name.

helpfuled
  12. Iran is not an arab country, retard
  13. Ginny8159 Member

How to Help

This was emailed to me today and am copying the entire message in this reply. Thought it might be a good way for those who want to help in the tech issues but can't (like me because the tech side to technology is way beyond me!). Hope this can help in some way. Hope some of you will donate to help. I deleted my personal email address at the very end for my privacy.

Praying daily for the people of Iran!

Dear friends,

The crackdown and blackout on Iran's streets and internet is silencing the voices of protesters. Iranians urgently need internet access to communicate with each other and world - let's fund simple, cheap tools to help them freely access the internet:

TAKE ACTION NOW!
    The brutal crackdown on Iran’s streets is succeeding. Lethal shooting, beatings and mass arrests have driven millions off the streets, and a communications blackout is preventing them from communicating with each other and the world.1

Ruling clerics are in crisis talks -- many are criticising the crackdown and calling for reform.2

We urgently need to help Iranians get back on the internet to have their voices heard in Iran and the world. Secure and anonymous "proxy services" are helping people to bypass regime controls and get online -- but they're overloaded and running out of funds.3 A small donation of just $10 can provide bandwidth for hundreds of secure emails - if 10,000 of us donate in the next 72 hours, we can help break the blackout:

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/iran_break_the_blackout

Proxy services provide people with a single link at which they can freely access the internet. The link is changed every time the regime blocks access to it. With 10,000 donors, we can scale up the proxy services massively -- providing more servers, bandwidth and advanced technical support.

The next two weeks are crucial. As Iran’s secret policemen cast their net far and wide, secure channels of communication are also critical to avoiding the crackdown. Scores have been killed and hundreds of human rights advocates, journalists, bloggers and peaceful protesters imprisoned. Although many more remain free, without safe ways to communicate they will face terrible risks.

After the crackdowns in Tibet and Burma, Avaaz members donated in our thousands to preserve the people’s basic human right to free communication and information. Overcoming censorship to make contact with each other and the world is crucial at these moments. Sharing information about the protests still flaring up around the provinces of Iran from Kurdish areas to the holy city of Qom, or uploading YouTube videos and first-hand reports of bravery and brutality to Iran’s million-plus weblogs and networks like Twitter, could make a huge difference.4 If the regime believe they can silence such reports, the crackdown will only worsen.

Legitimacy matters in Iran. From inspirational videos of million-strong marches to shocking evidence of militia violence, the truth will come out only if Iranians can communicate freely with each other.5 The clerical councils engaged in closed-door crisis talks are paying great attention to the voices being raised in their society. Let’s make sure Iran’s voices are not silenced – help break the blackout before it’s too late:

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/iran_break_the_blackout

With hope and determination,

Paul, Ricken, Milena, Graziela, Paula, Luis, Brett, Iain, Rajeev and the whole Avaaz team<BR
    Sources:

Updates on the crackdown:
    Two weeks after: Iran rallies fade, elite split - Yahoo! News
    Iran crisis: live - 25 June 2009 | News | guardian.co.uk

On the debate in the regime, Majlis Speaker Larijani criticises Guardian Council, IRIB, calls for open debate:
    Larijani criticizes Guardian Council, IRIB
    Conservative Tehran mayor Qalibaf calls for legalisation of rallies:
    Tehran mayor asks for legalization of rallies
    Assembly of Experts considers forcing a run-off election:
    A Deal to Save Iran? - The Daily Beast

Many of our contacts in Iran are reporting that they have been using these services but that they are running out of bandwidth fast. Also see:
    Iranians dodging government's Internet crackdown - CNN.com
    Use of Censorship Circumvention Services Soars in Iran – GIF resumes anti-censorship services to Iran due to election crisis | Global Internet Freedom Consortium

See for example:
    General Strike in Kurdistan IRAN RISES
    YouTube - citizentube's Channel
    Twitter: What are you doing?

Regardless of the actual result of the election, the importance of basic rights to assembly and open debate, which could also help shine a light on what occurred, has been emphasised in an open letter of support to the demonstrators. Its signatories include the anti-imperialist writer Noam Chomsky:
    Open letter of support to the demonstrators in Iran - iReport.com
    -----------------------------------------

Want to support Avaaz? We're entirely funded by member donations and receive no money from governments or corporations. Our dedicated online team ensures even the smallest contributions go a long way -- donate here.

ABOUT AVAAZ Avaaz.org is an independent, not-for-profit global campaigning organization that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people inform global decision-making. (Avaaz means "voice" in many languages.) Avaaz receives no money from governments or corporations, and is staffed by a global team based in Ottawa, London, Rio de Janeiro, New York, Buenos Aires, and Geneva. Call us at: +1 888 922 8229 or +55 21 2509 0368

Click here to learn more about our largest campaigns.

Don't forget to check out our Facebook and Myspace and Bebo pages! You can also follow Avaaz on Twitter!

You are getting this message because you signed "Iran: Stop the Crackdown" on 2009-06-24 using the email address (deleted for my privacy). To ensure that Avaaz messages reach your inbox, please add avaaz@avaaz.org to your address book. To change your email address, language settings, or other personal information, https://secure.avaaz.org/act/index.php?r=profile&user=d52dfc5939c1d3b49a0eb4c1eaf8e281&lang=en, or simply go here to unsubscribe.

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to info@avaaz.org. You can also call us at +1-888-922-8229 (US) or +55 21 2509 0368 (Brazil) If you have technical problems, please go to Avaaz.org
  14. Do not donate or pay for proxies.
  15. May I clarify why not?
  16. Why pay for proxies when it is free?

non-sequitur, piratical statement:

Why pay for music when it is free? ;)
  17. I'm going to donate. I have absoloutely no problem with doing that. It makes me feel like I'm contributing to a very worthy cause cause and to a group that really knows how to do things in a big way instead of in piecemeal patches and proxies.

And remember, nothing in life is really free.
  18. They key is keeping this in the public eye, is it not? If it is forgotten or swept under the carpet by our shallow media then it will simply lose momentum and Ahmadinejad will have won. There's got to be some way to kick up a fuss and make people listen.
  19. sneakernet

found this on Fark, do not know enough about the technology to verify if it is good advice:

Will someone on Twitter please tell the Iranian protesters to sneakernet their MicroSD cards? Make multiple copies. Distribute information through the means you have. Save whole web pages, too. The government can shut down networks, but they cannot prevent the sneakernet and photos and videos cannot be denied.
  20. gr88iran Member

Nedasites

if anyone is interested to help us overload the liar/spy websites of the government, here is an application devoted to this task:
    Home ‎(Nedasites)‎
    [IMG]
    :)
  21. SanguineRose Member

It may make you feel better about yourself but donating to a scam site really doesn't help anyone in Iran.

You can thank the 50 year old man living in his basement of his dead mothers house for your little boost in your ego by 'contributing'.
  22. Paying for a proxy is silly and you could be giving your money away to a scam if you aren't careful.

Running a proxy is free. Nearly everyone in #iran.proxies (roughly 40 people are in there right now) have set their own up at no cost.

If you want to help, join #iran.proxies and ask for me. I'll get you set up, providing you're on windows and not vista 64 bit.
  23. Mousavi Has Called for a General Strike
    It is about time. The strike is on.

Mir Hossein Mousavi میر حسین موسوی | Facebook

We can help!

Those of us who are not in Iran can participate in the general strike as well, by boycotting any company, anywhere, that does business with Iran, starting with Nokia.

This "we did business w/Iranian businesses, not the government" bullshit is just that, bullshit.

Anyone in Iran participating in the general strike will not be affected, because they will already be striking. Any Iranian companies not participating in the strike will be affected, because any foreign companies that try to do business with them will see their own business affected.

We need to start making lists of companies that are doing business w/Iran. HELP IRAN!!!! BE PART OF THE STRIKE!!!!!!

Remember, every dollar, pound, euro, yen, ect., that you give to a company that does business with Iran goes towards buying the bullets that are killing Iranian now, the ropes that are hanging them, the walls that are imprisoning them. You can make a difference.

Spread this message to everyone you know, and start making lists. This may get off to a slow start, but we are legion. It will grow. Like a python, it will crush their government, and the killing of their own will stop.
  24. Information is key

If some of the stuff I've read here is actually being done, then maybe taking control over a TV station in Iran wouldn't be too far fetched.
  25. Ray Murphy Member

The army will be doing that anyway soon. What we need now is people all over the planet ringing certain numbers in Iran from public phone boxes.
  26. Phone?

Tell me more - I'm intrigued. What can we do, and how can lots of people phoning call phone boxes make a difference? I'll happily do it, if only you tell me what to do!
  27. Ray Murphy Member

It's going to be people all over the planet ringing certain numbers from public phone boxes - mostly during office hours in Iran.
    The numbers are being gathered now and we are about to find out what we are all made of. Will each of us (who are able) get off our behinds and go to public phone boxes and start making the odd phone call and help make big difference NOW by drastically restricting communication for the hoodlums, or will we just sit at PC's at only attend an occasional rally.
  28. Count me in for sure. I long to be able to do more to 'put my money where my mouth is'
  29. Ray Murphy Member

It's time to start locating several phone boxes away from one's residence and without any high buildings nearby. In cold phone boxes it pays to wear gloves.
    It will also pay to NOT go on the net looking for phone numbers and leaving an electronic trail.
  30. JohnDoe Moderator

Just waiting for the instructions on what to do!:)

I don't understand, though why 'without any high buildings nearby'?
  31. Ray Murphy Member

Cameras could be aimed at phone boxes and synchronized with telephone call times.
  32. JohnDoe Moderator

Oh of course! Although to be honest - probably not where I live:)
    Anyway looking forward to getting started.
  33. What can we from the outside do????

Contact freegate, they are have cut Iran's access down because of money:

Austin Heap Blog Archive State of Freegate in Iran

Freegate's site:

Global Internet Freedom Consortium

Contact your government, representatives or whatever they are called in your country. Insist you want some funding for freegate. I wouldn't mind some stimilus money from the US going to freegate.

Contact Cisco, Linksys, Apple, HP and all other "internet involved" companies, contact your cable or DSL company and ask them to donate bandwidth (I would be willing to give up some myself). Ask some of the private industries to contact freegate and see if there is more they can do to help.
  34. How do I helped Iran?
  35. sos78tehran Member

Our ancestors pioneered the HUMAN RIGHTS about 2567 years ago. Today, we the people of Iran have NO RIGHTS. Please help us in getting our basic human rights.

Down with TERRORIST MAFIA GOVERNMENT of ISLAMIC REPUBLIC of IRAN
  36. JohnDoe Moderator

37. This whoile Nokia-Seimens thing really does need getting to the bottom of. We don't want to get all "Uncle Napoleon" & jump to conclusions about these companies if it's not justified, they are after all part of why the Iranian people have been so succesfull in communicating with the outside world during these troubled times. If it is justified then they need exposing & deserve everything they've got coming to them!

I do like the sound of showing support though boycott though, there's no better way of getting those in power to take notice than to hit them in the pocket. Perhaps there is better product/company we as people of the world could show our solidarity with the Iranian people by targeting. Something that might get those around and supporting the leadership to think again. Any thoughts/suggestions?