Customize

YouTube responds to Korean restrictions on anonymous posting

Discussion in 'Freedom of Expression' started by Vir, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Vir Member

YouTube responds to Korean restrictions on anonymous posting

http://www.appscout.com/2009/04/comments_and_uploads_disappear.php
  2. twelve Member

Re: YouTube responds to Korean restrictions on anonymous posting

Okay, the Internet is doomed.
  3. Re: YouTube responds to Korean restrictions on anonymous posting

This is coming from South Korea, Aren't they where the ones with a democracy?
  4. zebrafaced Member

South Korea, why are you acting like the North?
  5. RightOn Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. Anonymous Member

Dear South Korea et. al.
    The web is the biggest advancment in communication since the printing press. It will absorb all other media from newspapers to television. It will replace the marketplace the theatre and the voting both. It will grow with the ever increasing availability and ever decreasing cost until virtually all of humanity is connected to an almost endless sea of information where freedom of expression is absolute.
    We would rather you did not fuck with it.
    If you do decide to fuck with it we will miss you at first.
    Sincerely
    Anonymous
  7. Mutante Member

America is using other pocketed nations to dry-run public reactions to such things. Trufax.
  8. aNONanon Member

WTF? They banned Anonymous ... is Anonymous going to watch to be eradicated country by country ... this is a fucking declaration of war RAAAGE
  9. Anonymous Member

They're doing it a bit like newspapers publishing letters from their readers, which often require that the submission is given with full name and verifiable address and phone number, but that the letter can be published under pseudonym and that the newspaper keeps the name secret until there is a court order to release it.

YouTube just doesn't want to bother with that kind of bureaucracy. It does seem like a rather bad law, IMO.
  10. Anonymous Member

It can't be done.

Off the top of my head...

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/26-think-tank/other-internet-38457/#post735312

To late. Genii out of bottle.

I am about ready to put CoS on back burner too. (lol, not really).
    This needs to be dealt with would be easier to stop it now than fix it later.

How?
  11. none given Member

Well, I don't care if these goons know my email but these goons are on the same side as me (?) and a lot less is at stake than if we were (for example) anonymously protesting a goverment.
  12. Anonymous Member

Are you crazy faggot? Providing an ID every time you want to post anything on internet? That's like fucking communist China ... "rather bad law" fuck that!

I don't like where this is heading ... RIP Anonymous
  13. Anon-007 Member

Korea????

Weren't they the scum that tortured the "movie 007" in Die Another Day?

In which case, the entire country should be carpet bombed and then nuked for good measure!
  14. Anonymous Member

Yeah because the stupid Hollywood trash is the reality and we should bomb others based on action flicks ...

This is nothing short of criminal government ... democracy like this can suck my dick, worse is that this kind of shit is happening all over the world with US leading the way ...
  15. ARC Member

Nationalist chauvinism isn't welcome in this context, Anon-007, even if you're kidding, sarcasm doesn't transfer well across languages.

That said WHERE ARE YOU, KOREAN ANONS? Consider this your callout. Get in here!
  16. Joe Blitz Member

This is why power freaks want to control the internets. And why I won't take any tinfoil theories too seriously-not unless and until they clamp down on the web. That is where I would look for it to began.
  17. Anonymous Member

I don't think there are any Korean anons
  18. A.Non Hubbard Member

Fuck you, Google.
  19. Anonymous Member

Google aren't the bad guys in this case.
  20. Anonymous Member

A.Non Hubbard = government of South Korea.

[SPOILER]no, not really[/SPOILER]
  21. Mutante Member

22. Anonymous Member

Well kittehs, lately we have been playing with a half-dead mouse.
    We cannot let it escape, we must finish it off and the weekly "What is our next target?" threads have not prepared us for anything like this.

Is this the distant thunder of a coming Infopocalypse?

If not us, who?
  23. none given Member

24. Mutante Member

Rule by the representatives of the masses = democracy (in theory)

Liberty and freedom from corruption = something else entirely
  25. ClingingMars Member

this
  26. Anonymous Member

THIS.

An insatiable appetite for glory leads to sacrifice and death, but innate instinct leads to self-preservation and continuance.

Self preservation is the first law of the unnamed collective superconsciousness.
  27. Kambridge Member

THIS.
  28. muldrake Member

IMO this is the proper decision by Google and one I'd like to see more companies make when faced with idiot laws passed by one country out of hundreds they do business in. I.e. say "enjoy your fail" and pull the plug on them.

I think this is what Yahoo! should have done when faced with idiot French laws prohibiting Nazi paraphernalia, instead of caving in.

If the consequence to countries which pass oppressive and imbecilic laws is to face the rage of their citizens who can suddenly no longer access their favorite online services, those laws will go away fast in democratic countries (like South Korea or France).

If it were some minor country like Latvia, I'd say that Google was just refusing to put money into making a change to their comment and upload system to accommodate a tiny market. However, South Korea is one of the most wired countries in the world, and represents a huge market. Maybe Google is taking their "don't be evil" mantra seriously for a change.
  29. Re: YouTube responds to Korean restrictions on anonymous posting

Hey don't be so haetful. You can't blame them for being surrounded by their most hated countries.

Its like squidward living next to spongebob and patrick. He's stuck and he's living hell.

Oh also:

[IMG]
  30. Anonymous Member

It could be a question of market share. In Japan, there are video sites which are more popular than YouTube, Yahoo auctions is the name of the game instead of eBay. If YouTube is relatively small in Korea, then the impact of this won't be much noticeable. If more international companies follow YouTube and do the same, then that could have a real pressure effect.

What's funny is while South Korea generally hates both North Korea, China and Japan, the only country which hates them back is North Korea.
  31. Relyt Member

You know YouTube is only doing this for PR purposes.
  32. Re: YouTube responds to Korean restrictions on anonymous posting

It's cause koreans are very prideful and egotistical when it comes with their country. or anything.
  33. zebrafaced Member

No haet, really. I generally like South Korea. Great food, beautiful architecture, cool fashion, nice landscape, etc. A month ago, I was srsly considering going there for a little while after technical school.

But considering how much animosity they have towards their neighbours, they're really acting like them. Requiring ID for posts on the internet is something I would expect out of China (seeing as nobody in North Korea uses teh interbutts), not out of South Korea. I just find it rather strange that they're doing something that would be better suited for those they hate.
  34. ClingingMars Member

FIFY WSM
  35. xenubarb Member

Please to bring kim chi for all and bulgogi.
    tks.
  36. Re: YouTube responds to Korean restrictions on anonymous posting

I WILL, AND IT WILL BE DELICIOUS

Trufax: WSM is a koreanfag HURR >:3
  37. scarletbanner Member

The DPRK has a free internet.. well, intranet actually. There's just nothing to do there.
  38. Anonymous Member

WHAT U TALKING BOUT YANKEE WE R FREE PEOPLE AND KNOWS LOTS ABOUT THE INTERNET

[IMG]
  39. Anonymous Member

FIX'D