Customize

1949 Dianetics submission to peer-reviewed journal refused

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by Anonymous, May 12, 2011.

1. Anonymous Member

Oh how I'd love to have a copy of the rejection letter from the American Journal of Psychiatry in 1949:

• Like Like x 1
  2. timthephoto Member

as much as i enjoy reading lulz like ^, i'd like to see dox on that because i didn't think the great bullshitter (hubbard) got any silly ideas of grandur (like having dianetics peer reviewed) until after that date
  3. over9000OT Member

To be fair (as much as I hate doing that in the face of Scientology), literally thousands of well-written, heavily researched and peer-reviewed papers are rejected by academic and medical journals every year. If you write anything professional, you probably have more rejection letters than you care to think about. I wrote 17 papers before I ever got published in a reputable journal.

That said, Hubtardians probably wouldn't appreciate knowing that the bible of their cult was rejected.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. RightOn Member

exactly, but how many rejected journals were meant to be "religions" down the road? lol
  5. timthephoto Member

he only started hiding his bullshit behind a religious cloak when the partv& was on his case for being a charlatan and quack
  6. RightOn Member

yes i know
    that is why I put lol at the end
  7. Zak McKracken Member

Edit:
    [coccyx]
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I think they know it was rejected and this is taken as further proof of the great psych conspiracy against Scientology.
  9. over9000OT Member

Oh right, the psychs were too busy covering up the Holocaust and collecting up their monies to create Anonymous to protest any threats to their primacy.
    /tinfoil
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Ogsonofgroo Member

This what yer thinkin'?
    There are a few but this one by Prof. Martin Gardner, written in 1953 in' In the Name of Science', really took a swipe at Hubbard's bowl of turds Dianetics~
    http://www.xenu.net/archive/oca/gardner.html

~ Reference: Martin Gardner, "Fads and Fallacies in the Name of Science", Dover Publications: New York, 1957 (1st ed 1952). Chapter 22, "Dianetics".
  11. Zak McKracken Member

Okay kiddies:

its all there on the wiki-pedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dianetics#Scientific_evaluation_and_criticisms

PhD. dissertation.
    Unfortunately never published in a dead tree journal :(

http://home.snafu.de/tilman/krasel/dianetics_test2.html

It appears Harvey Fischer was a clinical psychologist, published a number of books (technical psych-stuff) in the 1970s and 80s. Last I can find was 1991. He'd be ~ 80 today, if still alive. Doesn't seem as though he was ever a "Scientology Critic".
    but

Dianetic Therapy: An Experimental Evaluation
    Harvey Jay Fischer
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Zak McKracken Member

FYI, Joseph Winter was another 'tard LRH sucked in, who broke with Source as early as 1950. An early progenitor of the Captain Bill Robertson Club - who shed many a tear over the way that Hubbard refused to let Dianetics Science BE a legitimate science.

Squirrels squirreling squirrels squirreling squirrels.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Ogsonofgroo Member

Ah yes, I'd misplaced that one, thanks Zak! Its actually a pretty good read, kind a bit dry, but to the point.
  14. RolandRB Member

He probably realised after a while that the only people fit to peer review it are those with good whole track recall.
  15. The Wrong Guy Member

On this date in history: L. Ron Hubbard publishes `Dianetics' | DailyPress.com

On May 9, 1950, L. Ron Hubbard published “Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health,” which would eventually launch Scientology.

A prolific writer of science fiction and fantasy, Hubbard was already frequently published when he penned the self-help psychology book. He claimed that “engrams” were the cause of all psychological pain, and claimed that people could clear themselves of the phenomena through an “auditor.”

Though the medical and scientific community discredited the book, Hubbard created Scientology, expanding on the book to start a religion. Scientology is considered a cult in some countries, but retains a popular presence in Hollywood, and members include Tom Cruise and John Travolta.

Here’s a clip from “South Park,” explaining Scientology.

Source: http://www.dailypress.com/news/top-...-publishes-dianetics-20140509,0,3272480.story
    • Like Like x 2
  16. lulzRus Member

Normally for your first pubs you ask for help of someone whose name is known in the field. They have insight as to where the paper might be published and how to write it. I have published papers as an undergrad that way. I rarely had flat out rejections. If there wasn't enough work, I was sent questions from reviewers (that happens very, very often). Rejection without reviewers' comments meant wrong journal. Or, you aimed too high... Not everything can be published in Nature, and people who systematically try that get more rejection letters than others.

There are perfectly good papers with lower impact index which publish more obscure, but still high quality (sometimes higher quality, as these journals are often superspecialized and its reviewers tend to be your competitors) research. Nature, the Lancet and PNAS have been known to publish bullshit (real bullshit... as in, WTF? Were the reviewers wasted when they read this ?) because the subject was controversial.

Hubbard had an actual doctor promoting his stuff at that point, who should have been able to write a proper paper.

But if Hubbard himself wrote it, it would probably have been seen as bullshit from the get go. The few portions of DMSMH I've read are definitely not in the rigorous and neutral tone of scientific papers. You can't play around with "research" and numbers without hard data and references when adressing professionals.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. lulzRus Member

Still, if it is in a thesis, it has been read and reviewed by other professionals, and that it is available to other researchers who might be interested. Theses are kept available in the uni where the PhD was completed and are often an important, if obscure source of data for researchers. We often joke that nobody will ever read the thing we sweat so much on, but I had to do it a few times.
    • Like Like x 2