Customize

A Letter From Fayah

Discussion in 'News And Current Events' started by Unregistered, Jul 28, 2009.

1. I just received this email from a friend in Iran, and I think it needs wider dissemination.

A letter from Fayah:

"I love life. I love to laugh and be with my friends. There are so many books I want to read, movies I want to see, people I want to meet. I want to marry, to be a good wife and mother. I want to grow old with the people I love, to feel the sun on my face, to see the ocean, to travel.

My country is in a terrible state. People have no jobs. There is no money. People have no freedom. Women must hide themselves from the world, and we have no choices.

Our people--we are not terrorists. We hate terrorists. And that is what our government has become. They kill our people for no reason. They torture us in their prisons because we want freedom. They make our country look evil, they make our religion look evil.

We are fighting for our freedom, for our religion, for our country. If we do nothing while injustice abounds, we become unjust. We turn into the ones we hate.

I have to fight. I have to go back on the streets. I will make them kill me. I will join Neda, with my friends, and then maybe the world will hear us.

I never thought I would become a martyr, but it is needed. The more of us they kill, the smaller they become, the more strength the people will have. Maybe my death will mean nothing, but maybe it will buy my country freedom.

I am very sad that I will never be a mother, that I will never do the things I love, but I would rather die than do nothing and know that I am to blame for the tortures, the murder, the hatred.

Please tell the world how much we love life. That we are not terrorists. We just want to be free."

Never Apologize,Never Explain
  2. JohnDoe Moderator

I pray that you'll never have to be a martyr - there's been too many already.

May Azadi come soon, and you can fulfil your dreams.

These are the voices we must hear - we are listening.

Thank you writing this.

Thank you for posting this - this is what it's all about.
  3. Visionary Member

So sad. Damn the regime for creating a situation like this.
    Good luck to the person who wrote the letter, whatever they decide to do.
    Now I have to go back to wiping away tears from my face. :(
  4. akuma_river Member

God have mercy...reading letters like that just tugs on your heart. I hope she doesn't have to be come a martyr and that things will get better.
  5. Registered Member

Please tell your friend that her martyrdom is not needed. Her countrymen need her alive. Surely she must know that victory will come. That it's only a matter of time. Every living soul thinking, working, fighting for that victory is a priceless asset to the cause, not to mention a source of joy and and much needed support to friends and family.

Tell her: "YOU ARE WORTH MORE TO IRAN ALIVE THAN DEAD!!"
  6. I can't say that I want her to die, but I understand how she feels, especially the line right here in bold, completely.
  7. I can't even begin to imagine such courage. Hopefully peace and freedom will come without the need for any more deaths - but to sacrifice one's life willingly for such a cause is the ultimate act of bravery. One way or other, I know your courage will bring justice to your land and the world WILL know the truth - that you and your people are lovers of freedom and truth, not terror and violence like your unjust leaders.
  8. this woman is a hero. i would like to meet her one day.

i pray that she will not have to be a martyr.
  9. That's absolutely incredible right there. One of the greatest genocides in recent history is taking place right before our very eyes... and yet not a single government has the balls to do anything. Instead, citizens are forced to form global peaceful protests while their governments continue to do business with this terrorist regime like it's business as usual?

Obama... GTFO of the White House. You are clearly unfit to represent America as a World Leader and a preserver of Freedom and Human Rights on a Global Scale.

To the author of the email... citizens around the world do hear you... and we have heard you and been with you since the beginning. Unfortunately our respective cowardly governments with bull shit political agendas continue to take it in the ass from has-beens like Russia and never-beens like China, and all we can do is sit on the side lines and watch in pure frustration and anger.
  10. Coyote-IRAN Member

I have been posting in this board as an unregistered since the day it was created, and I posted in this thread up above in post #6, but I want to be known for who I am here. This letter has been eating at me. I wish I could take this letter and scream it into everyone in the world's ears with a bullhorn, and then crawl inside their heads and make sure they were listening, that they understand.

Yes, she is courageous, but this is not about courage. It is about the only choices that she has. Three. Join them and become like them, hide, or make the right choice and do what she is doing. There are no other choices. There is no other option.

And she has made the right one, no matter how terrible, how awful, the consequences may be.

I know how she feels. Personally. I am not Iranian. I have never grown up in a repressive country. But I know, because I have experienced the same evil. I can relate.

I want to explain. It may not sound the same at first, but it is very similar.

When I grew up, every day when my father would come home, he would beat the shit out of my mother, or my sister, or my brother. Every night I would have to listen to them scream and beg and cry through the wall, and see the marks the next day in the morning. My mother, all of us actually, could not do or think or act in any way that was not approved by our almighty father, and what he approved changed each day and each minute as his whims changed. You could not keep up. He threatened to kill us, tormented us, you get the picture. That's all you need to know.

Now, I say this is similar, because what Iran is going through is the same thing, only on a national scale. What happened just inside my one house, with all the neighbors and school teachers and people at the hospital looking the other way and ignoring, this same thing is happening in Iran only everyone in the entire country has to endure it! It is the same thing only on a massive level, blown up a millions times larger.

The effects are the same. The results are the same. The pain, I can understand. The scale, I don't even want to think about the scale.

No one should ever have to live through this. Evil has the same face, everywhere it rears its disgusting head. They take what is good - love for the family, religion, and pervert it and twist it into something that is so evil no human mind could ever grasp or comprehend it until it is too late and they are surrounded by it.

I hope she lives. I hope she can have a family, and children, and live a happy life. I have never married, never had children, because part of me has always been terrified that some seed planted in me when I was a child is still there and will grow. Mostly I doubt it, but just that chance, that suspicion, keeps me from even trying. I would rather die than become like my father was. He would have made a natural basiji or Iranian prison interrogator.

So I know how she feels. She has no choices. Become like them, hide, or resist - no matter what the price.

I pray she doesn't have to pay the price. But if she does, she is to be honored, and no one should ever for a single millisecond think that what she did was not worth it. Nothing any human being can ever do is as courageous and right as what she is doing. I am proud of her.

I'd like to scream that in everyone's ears with a bullhorn, too.
  11. I had a childhood very similar to yours, only add in rape as well. Somehow, I survived it.

I lived in New Orleans, lost everything when Katrina hit and spent nine days in hell. I had to fight to survive. Somehow, I survived it.

I know the helplessness and the frustration and the rage you are feeling, Coyote. I wish I could hold you and soothe you and cry with you.

I'm the OP of this thread. Fayah is my friend. I've been posting about Iran nonstop, and have been met with mostly silence and indifference. Until today. Fayah's words have a power that mine can not, and word is getting out.

If you ever need someone to talk to who understands, I can be reached at gwyndynalexander AT yahoo DOT com.
    My blog is Never Apologize,Never Explain

I know your pain, my dear. I'm here if you need me.
    --Gwyndyn Alexander
  12. Coyote-IRAN Member

Thank you for the concern, but the best way to make me feel better, is to help Iran in any way you can. The thought that this is happening to an entire nation, to everyone, all over, it boggles the mind.

What happened to us is over. There, it is not. It needs to be.

Tell Fayah that she is not alone, and that we will do everything we are able to help her, so that what she does is not for nothing. My prayers are with her. She makes me proud.

13. Voters Union Member

Why not post the original letter without the editing (except for clearly marking/hiding identity related text)? It may be even more forceful.
  14. Visionary Member

:( This thread is really making me emotional today.
    I'm so sorry that you and your family had to go through all that.
    I remember a few weeks ago comparing what was going on in Iran to a domestic abuse situation.
    (it was while talking with that crackpot hussain mehdi in the off topic thread)

It always shocks me at how unconcerned so many people around me are about Iran. Most people I've mentioned it to in person (especially the older ones) either are just too absorbed with their own lives and problems, or just assume that it's business as usual in Iran and nothing will change.
  15. I did very little in the way of editing. I removed two paragraphs about her life which could be possibly have identified her. I cleaned up her word order a bit to make it more readable, and corrected spelling only where it made the word incomprehensible.

I got her approval of the final text before I posted it, and this is the version she wanted to go out.

I've been passing on everyone's messages to her, and she is very happy that her words are being heard.

Her internet access, btw, is via a tor bridge, so keep up the good work everyone. It's making a difference
  16. atmasabr Member

Risking your life and dying are two different things. But it is impossible to tell the difference. To continue to risk your life in such a situation...

The death of every single person in Iran is a tragedy. Every single murder in Iran is an unspeakable crime.

The bravery of so many people is amazing.

I'm afraid the shock is wearing off for me. But I won't forget. My government hasn't forgotten and many of us are letting our government know that we don't want them to forget. And I sure hope our prayers are being heard for you, who pray every single day for deliverance.

Please, stay safe.
  17. Risking your life is better than sitting down and taking what they are dishing out. It is one thing to jump in front of a train. It is another to say how you really feel, knowing you will be beaten and possibly killed for it. They are not the same.

18. Voters Union Member

Thank you for this extra info. I hope you didn't take my question in the wrong way.

My thoughts and heart are with her and others like her.
  19. Vee Member

Reposted this also. Send our love from Australia.

I started tearing up in the airport reading this.
  20. You are not the only ones. Neither are you alone. There are many, many, all too many of us.
  21. 3644826854_0d6eece410.jpg

3629283282_1ba6d7b782.jpg

3629292148_090f31d3cb.jpg

3631775069_7f76c8d069.jpg
  22. I'm proud of her, too.
  23. jadt65 Member

A story about heroes

When I entered my profession almost 20 years ago, I had the privilege of working w/ a 16 yr old girl in a long term treatment facility...her history was horrendous... physically abused by mother, prostituted by mother & left for dead by her mother. We worked hard together to drive away the demons & then I was able to locate her father. Another battle w/ the system to reunite her w/ father...on the day she was discharged, I asked her if there was anything else I could do, she told me, " Be the voice for the others."

Ten years later I was working w/ a 9yr old girl who had been through sexual assault, severe beatings and witnessing her father murder her mother. She often provoked her father so her twin and older sister could escape her father. I went w/ her to court on the day she testified against her father. She took the stand, looked the bastard in the eye and held him accountable for everything. He is in prison today & she is in college. She is my hero because she not only had the courage to survive, but also to take the power away from her father and then the audacity to thrive.

The people of Iran also have the strength & courage to survive & recover. They will have a new beginning & thrive.

They too are heroes
  24. Iran is an example to the world. They all are heroes. Willing or not, anyone who refuses to be part of what that system has turned into is a hero.
  25. This woman has become like Neda to me.

I'd like to honor the memory of Neda, by honoring someone like her who is still alive.

5700_1029192510690_1851683083_64866_1062467_n.jpg

5700_1029192590692_1851683083_64868_2202199_n.jpg

5700_1027840516891_1851683083_62260_8154796_n.jpg

5700_1027408626094_1851683083_61332_5455643_n.jpg
  26. Sorry dudes, but I can't let this one drop off the page.
  27. Has there been any recent word from Fayah? I hope she's alright.
  28. Idiomagic Member

No news. They turned off the phone service, electricity, and internet today to try to stop the protests.

Fayah and her group had anticipated being out of touch for a while, so I don't know when I'll hear from her.

I'll post here the second I know anything.

29. Dro Member

bump

I just want to bump this back onto the front page. I think it deserves some more attention.
  30. It does. I still have the urge to break out a bullhorn and blast this letter into everyone's ear. I really hope she is okay.
  31. Idiomagic Member

I hear you. I've been checking my email every five minutes, just praying for some word from her or her friends.

I haven't slept since getting her email...I've been posting it, tweeting it, sending it to every news website I can find. It's really frustrating not knowing if she's all right, and knowing that the main response to all of this is 'meh'. The indifference has me in a frothing rage, and the worry and anxiety has me cultivating a fine set of ulcers.

As soon as I hear anything at all, I'll post it.

Thanks, all of you, for caring and for listening.
    -Gwyndyn
  32. Coyote-IRAN Member

Yeah, I hope she is okay.

Watch this video.

There is a part, starting at 6:52, where they are in a bookstore and an older woman is looking at a younger woman who has been teargassed. They were both teargassed, actually, but the younger woman seems a lot newer to the fear. Then the older woman noticed the camera is pointing at her, and quickly turns around and leaves.

The expression on that woman's face says it all. It is an expression I have seen so many times.

I don't want to see that look anymore. This shit needs to end. Now. Fucking yesterday.

My mood was depressed, but then I saw the video linked above, and the look hit a nerve, then a little while after that I read Fayah's letter, which flipped my mood. Now it is just frustration and rage. I've been a little pissy the last few days, lol.
  33. Coyote-IRAN Member

I wish they would sticky this thread.
  34. SanguineRose Member

~~~~~Done~~~~~
  35. Thank you! :)
  36. Coyote-IRAN Member

Yes, thank you. I really hope she is okay.
  37. There has been much more attention paid to Iran on US TV these last few days. Much of it is about Ahmadinejad's confirmation and coming reinauguration, but much is also about the continued violence against the citizens and inhuman treatment in custody, whether in prison or elsewhere. Iran, and especially the brave Iranian citizens, is/are not being forgotten. Thousands (maybe millions) read here every day.

Fayah, we love and admire you for your willingness to put yourself at risk for your principles. True Islam loves you too, no matter what these evil pretenders say and do. We all, Muslim's, Christian's, Jew's, Bahai's, whatever faith as well as those that lack faith, wish you well and hope your courage and strength are rewarded here on earth long before your reward in heaven.
  38. midrashist Member

very moving

After weeks of watching videos it's easy to lose track of the momentum, the changes. (I watch videos every time new ones come out.)

This brought me back. It's very moving. Is the soundtrack someone well-known (and safe)? What are the words?