Customize

A modest proposal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by grebe, Dec 17, 2011.

1. grebe Member

Here's the problem:
    1. Politicians have to pander to the people who fund their campaigns.
    2. When you don't have facts to support your case, you can still win politically with slick PR and PAC donations.
    3. Scammers necessarily are better at the PR and palm greasing game than honest people.
    4. Our government wastes time and money on bullshit that misleads people and makes America moar stupid.

Below is an example from the Texas legislature that I stumbled upon this morning. I believe these ass kissings come with a fancy official certificate suitable for framing --quite useful when you want to distract visitors to your office from the fact that you have no actual valid credentials.

I am old now and have watched this shit go on for decades. The past ten years it's become much worse. The Internet has given formerly marginalized idiots a sense of community and unwarranted self importance. They must be stopped before they ruin everything.

Proposal:

Similar to the DMCA take-down notice procedure, we create a system for spotting woo on the Internet where it should not be. I imagine an appropriate consequence would be a hit to the woo promoter's reputation for honesty and due diligence, probably in the form of an entry in some searchable on-line database. An entry would add one point to the person's overall moonbat score. The point could be removed after an appropriate removal or correction of the offending material.

This database will require a fair amount of labor to maintain. It could be crowd sourced as with Wikipedia. But it still would need admins and mods and procedures for challenging bogus reports and handling good faith corrections of woo promotion.

If such a woo-take-down system existed, I would report Rep. Roberto R. Alonzo for honoring a homeopath without mentioning that homeopathy is a scam. I would also report the homeopath, Fred Shima, for promoting himself as an actual doctor rather than an entertainer.

Before taking your sick child to a new doctor or voting someone into office, you could check the person's moonbat score. I would find this handy and an enormous time saver.

As with Wikipedia, I would set some content boundaries. The database would not be the appropriate place to sort out fact verses fiction. Only recognized scams would be reportable. And I would not report faith healing where it is clearly represented as such. Only sciency looking magic that might fool people into thinking the stuff is more than mystical magic will power wishful thinking.

What do you think?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. xenubarb Member

Make it so.
  3. 00anon00 Member

Kill Irish babies.
  4. xenubarb Member

Meh. Tater-filled gingers, Do Not Want.