Customize

A Panorama Special: Secrets of Scientology, BBC One, Tuesday, 28 September at 2100

Discussion in 'Media' started by Sponge, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Anonymous Member

Re: A Panorama Special: Secrets of Scientology, BBC One, Tuesday, 28 September at 210

Here's that thread

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/12-active-projects/scientologys-us-tax-exempt-properties-71490/
  2. xenubarb Member

3. Sponge Member

Re: A Panorama Special: Secrets of Scientology, BBC One, Tuesday, 28 September at 210

Does anyone here feel that the cult is being eerily quiet? I mean, is their freedumb mag/google ads "john sweeney desperate lies", the thumbing-down of critical videos and flagging the moxon badger cartoon, really all there is? Don't you just feel that there should be something else or is this all that cocksucker David Miscavige can muster from his depleted and demoralised flock?

sweenedissappoint2450.jpg
  4. Anonymous Member

DM is far too busy constantly opening up new Ideal Orgs worldwide, and personally overseeing the biggest expansion of the fastest growing religion in the [STRIKE]whole track[/STRIKE] history of the universe to be bothered with a pipsqueak bigot like Sweeney.
  5. BlooAnon Member

I noticed that for all but one of the four parts of the Panorama video on YouTube there were only 20 thumbs down. The fourth part had 21.

Just 20-21? I laughed.
  6. LocalSP Member

* News
    * Media
    * TV ratings

TV ratings - Tuesday 28 September
    John Sweeney's Church of Scientology rematch draws almost 5m

Panorama journalist's follow-up to his 2007 BBC1 documentary is the most popular show in the 9pm hour

John Sweeney in Panorama - The Secrets Of Scientology John Sweeney in Panorama - The Secrets Of Scientology. Photograph: BBC

Journalist John Sweeney's return match with the Church of Scientology attracted nearly 5 million viewers to BBC1 last night, Tuesday 28 September.

The Secrets of Scientology was a follow-up to Sweeney's 2007 BBC1 documentary, which produced a viral hit when a video of him ranting at one of the church's officials was posted on YouTube.

Last night's programme attracted an average of 4.819 million viewers and a 20.3% audience share, making it the most popular show in the 9pm hour.
  7. AnotherSock Member

I was surprised at how non-confront they've been over this whole thing, this time around. We saw a lot of vintage Tommy last night, but no new Tommy, and no replacement for him. Just a gaggle of private eyes or possibly Sea Ogres with orders not to speak.

There was an utterly predictable and insincere statement or two from the cult, but... so what? No confront at all.

Even their pre-emptive counterattack with a movie of their own was feeble. It'd have any member of the general public reaching for the 'off' switch in seconds, it's so dull. Also, LOL@ the the name chosen for it. 'Desperate Lies'? That's a cry for help, from somebody. Maybe subconsciously, but it is.

I'm pleasantly surprised at Scientology's lack of spunk, but I'm not waiting for the shoe to drop. I think they're doing what they do in all the UK orgs now on raid days... close the doors, close the blinds and hope all the bad things will go away.

If anything, I'm more concerned about the legitimacy that might be conferred on the Freezone movement. Last night's programme really was a 'coming out party' for the independent Scientologist movement. I don't believe they ever got mainstream attention before. Nobody joins the Freezone from the general public of course. Only ex-Scinos become Zoners... so they have a potential target for recruitment of, what, maybe 45,000 people world-wide? And the sooner we shut down Scientology, to sooner we stop that potential market from expanding.
  8. Rockyj Member

Hopefully, I can attend Seattle's next protest (do not live in Seattle) BUT plan to
    make sign re: Co$ TAX Exempt status & how much Co$ would pay in Taxes if it wasn't cloaked as a religion.

BTW Panorama did a excellent job & loved all the new footage!
    Mike Rinder has a really bad Barber & it looks like Marty won't be needing a Barber soon.
  9. Anonymous Member

I think they realize that the more they make out of it the worse they look. The best case scenario for us would be a full on scilebrity media campaign. And I agree with who ever said that the youtube and google ads are for the benefit of their parishioners and not the public at large. They really have the resources to wage an all out media campaign and rebuttal but the fact that they haven't (yet) speaks to their understanding of "The Streisand Effect."

If I were so bold as to speculate, you could also interpret this as an understanding that they are fighting a losing battle and are trying their best to hold onto what members they have. They realize that attracting new members is going to be more and more difficult if at all possible with this level of critical exposure.
  10. OhSah Member

very disappointed with this Panorama episode. He spent the first half hour re-living something I'd seen, not cared about and had forgotten about days after it happened. Then he went on to lick Marty's asshole by applauding and discussing his use of a skin galvanometer then Rinder taught him to make fun of people. Hard-core journalism at it's finest - even the Headleys just rehashed stuff we'd all heard a thousand times over.

TL;DR

Marty watches Amy Scobee talk
    Rinder/Marty audit/falate Hubbard with Sweeney
    Someone whose name ends in "James" is really upset and thinks she's a Scientologist (lol ..)

The only two highlights were Larry Anderson (who was pretty much the only one to say Scientology and Hubbard suck) and Jason Beghe (but he didn't get to swear so it was boring).

all in all, huge let-down.
  11. Anonymous Member

You seem to assume that the documentary was for the benefit of Scientology's critics instead of a documentary informing the public.

Just because we have seen this all before doesn't mean that 4.8 million other people have.

As for Sweeney playing with the emeter, that was kind of silly, but for someone who doesn't know anything about scientology the first thing they are going to ask when they see this documentary is "what the fuck is Scientology" and you can't cover that without talking about the emeter. Do you remember when he covered that auditing sessions are secretly recorded and used against people? Do you remember when he talked about Xenu?

I'd say that he gave a pretty balanced view of the tech.
  12. Sponge Member

New Statesman :: 29/9/2010 :: A bad day for Scientology?
    The Church of Scientology in the internet age

also posted that in the John Dixon #stupidscientology thread

.....enter the longjohns, Dixon & Sweeney
  13. Random guy Member

I'm not really sure. I think the focus of this program was geared towards the general audience. The great majority of cult followers never have and never will experience Miscavige beating anyone. Disconnection and fair gaming is another kettle of fish though.
  14. Anonymous Member

Hodkin is probably busy writing a complaint to the BBC Trust.
  15. AnotherSock Member

Something occurred to me about YSCOHB-gate...

This is news to us. It's new... but the event is actually 3+ years old. Wee Davey Miscavige was already acting very weird then... and that's during a relatively successful handling of the media.

Think back three years ago... before the goofy Tom Cruise video leak, before Chanology; before Rinder blew; before certain well-known books came out. Before legal judgments in France and Germany, before Xenophon's big win, and before the Freakwinds got impounded for being an asbestos trap. (Und so weiter...)

Question: what on Earth must his mental state be like now? It was clearly always fragile, but now? Woah. I'm sure glad I don't have to report my stats to him this Thursday.
  16. slobeck Member

The only thing that I found lacking was an explanation of the cult's tax exempt status (in this case in the UK) but in other places too. Perhaps it would be too much to hope for for a mention of Operation Snow White, or the fact that L Ron Hubbard's being a con (as opposed to a nuclear physicist and explorer) makes him a poison tree which bears the poison fruit of the tech. If Hubbard was a fraud then so is the cult and so is the tech. But other than that it was great. imo
  17. Random guy Member

I don't think so. I at least am not in this for honourary mention, I'm here to help see the cult go down.
  18. Rockyj Member

19. getbeckyout Member

20. xenubarb Member

They're kinda busy at the moment here with LisaMcPherson 2.0, the Kyle Brennan case.

Peter Mansell for the defense:

Scientology not to blame for Clearwater suicide

I don't think like a Scilon so I can't fathom what's going on inside their Hubbard-soaked little minds, but to me, the Kyle Brennan case would be way more serious than a little bad publicity from the Beeb.
  21. xenubarb Member

LOL this is funny, particularly in light of Rinder's lecture on the use of interruption to drive one bonkers.
  22. Anonymous Member

23. Anonymous Member

"a little Bad publicity from the Beeb" as you put it will do a great deal of damage to the Cult in the UK.
  24. Anonymous Member

Oh my! Just when you thought it was all over, clams?

This is the real story. The "Scientology is a cult and they act really creepy" story is just preamble, compared to the shitstorm to follow.

This is the article to include when you write to your MP, I think. Concise, accurate and damning.
  25. Re: A Panorama Special: Secrets of Scientology, BBC One, Tuesday, 28 September at 210

£20 million in just one year???

Who's in charge of VAT rebates in the UK?
  26. AnotherSock Member

HM Revenue & Customs: Home Page
    Also:
    Or the Chancellor of the Exchequer, Rt Hon George Osborne. I don't think they have a Minister for Cult Affairs.
  27. Anonymous Member

That sir is a good idea.
  28. RightOn Member

29. Anonymous Member

30. Anonymous Member

There's so much that needs to be covered but only so much that can be covered in an hour. Sweeney/BBC did a good job of getting the basics in without becoming too distracted by the greater details.

Had there been time, it would have been nice to see Sweeney do a little "Lol Wut" at the explanation he was being given over the workings of the "pinch detector". There's not a carnival huckster alive that wouldn't be proud of having made such a delivery.
  31. AnotherSock Member

I imagine that a BBC researcher or two are examining the impact of their programme on the Internet, so "ohai" to them.

Rates relief as mentioned in this new article is only part of the story...

The cult won VAT exemption in 2000, despite not being a UK charity or a religion (rejected by the charities commission in 1999).

They didn't pay stamp duty when they bought the cult 'Ideal Org' on Queen Victoria Street - instead they bought the holding company that owns the building. Nice tax dodge there.

They don't pay corporation tax because they claim to be a South Australian charity ('COSRECI') - despite the fact that they haven't filed any paperwork there for decades. They submit unaudited accounts in the UK on this basis... and have been getting away with it for years.

They don't pay minimum wage (or anything close) because their staff are 'volunteers'.

They claim to be a 'not for profit' organisation, yet the Times estimated that they made £17m in 2007 and had a net worth in the UK of £54m.

For further info: our wiki
  32. Re: A Panorama Special: Secrets of Scientology, BBC One, Tuesday, 28 September at 210

I liked the section with Sweeney on the e-meter, notice martys thumb on the tone arm making the needle move. slight of hand anybody.
  33. starborgled Member

YouTube - John Sweeney (BBC) Reviews Valkyrie

Funny as fuck! I love the way he just carried on too. Sounded like his interviewer DIDN'T have a sense of humour though
  34. Anonymous Member

To be fair, the VAT people have taken this one right through the courts in an attempt not to grant the rebate. They lost.
  35. Anonymous Member

36. Anonymous Member

Re COSRECI's supposed status as a charity in Australia:

When they applied to City of London for mandatory relief from business rates, they said 'COSREC is a South Australian charity'. We have a copy of this document.

Now they say (in response to the TodayTonight probe) that they have never claimed that COSREC was a charity.

So this is:

- internally inconsistent

- fraud, in that they claimed to City of London that they were a charity when in fact they weren't.
  37. Anonymous Member

I had no idea Carter-Ruck were the blood-sucking lawyers in the UK until last night. That firm has definitely gone down in my estimation.
  38. Anonymous Member

39. Kim_Philby Member

Dunno if this has been mentioned or not, but October the 1st's Private Eye* carries a partial "rehash" of the BBC Story with about half of "Cult Corner" being dedicated to the rates relief issue.

P.S they think the Carter Fuck input probably cost the Scilons a cool million quids.

*For the colonials, Private eye is a british political satire magazine, that's read by at least some of the UKs movers and shakers, and at least one useless layabout (Me)

If it has... disregard etc.
  40. Smurf Member

If you referring to the brunette in front of Marty at the fast food joint... No.. that wasn't Jessica.