Customize

A thread about police brutality continued

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Oct 29, 2011.

1. The Wrong Guy Member

2. 00anon00 Member

3. Jeff Jacobsen Member

Pepper spray futures are better than gold!
  4. quantify Member

5. telomere Member

6. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  7. The Wrong Guy Member

UC Davis Faculty Association Board Calls for Katehi’s Resignation

The DFA Board calls for the immediate resignation of Chancellor Katehi. The Chancellor’s authorization of the use of police force to suppress the protests by students and community members speaking out on behalf of our university and public higher education generally represents a gross failure of leadership.

Given the recent use of excessive force by police against “occupy” protestors at UC Berkeley and elsewhere, the Chancellor must have anticipated that, by authorizing police action, she was effectively authorizing their use of excessive force against peaceful UCD student protestors. The Chancellor’s role is to enable open and free inquiry, not to suppress it.

We also call for a policy that will end the practice of forcibly removing non-violent student, faculty, staff, and community protestors by police on the UC Davis campus. The University of California should be taking a leadership role in encouraging the exercise of free speech, not in suppressing it.

Source: http://ucdfa.org/2011/11/19/dfa-board-calls-for-katehis-resignation/
  8. Anonymous Member

9. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  10. 00anon00 Member

11. The Wrong Guy Member

12. Anonymous Member

13. Anonymous Member

This is worth watching all the way through.
  14. Anonymous Member

more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bob-ostertag/uc-davis-protest_b_1103039.html
    • Like Like x 1
  15. The Wrong Guy Member

Exclusive: Pepper Sprayed UC Davis Undergrad Speaks Out, Says Chancellor Ignored Her, Hasn’t Reached Out At All | The Second Alarm

Shanon, a UC Davis undergrad, said she was linking arms with her fellow protesters, and the UC Davis police pepper sprayed directly into her face and body. The chemicals get into her eyes and deep into her lungs, and she still has difficulty breathing.

But perhaps damning for UC Chancellor Linda Katehi is the revelation that no one at the UC Davis administration has reached out to Shanon to apologize for the pain inflicted by the police, to make sure she is okay, or to at least to hear her perspective. View Shanon’s interview with The Second Alarm below:

(Audio only)

More: http://thesecondalarm.wordpress.com/2011/11/20/interview-pepper-spray-student/
    • Like Like x 1
  16. The Wrong Guy Member

This is all from ThinkProgress.org reporter Lee Fang, who attended the press conference that was held on Saturday at UC Davis.

A pretty remarkable thing just happened. A press conference, scheduled for 2:00 pm between the UC Davis Chancellor and police on campus, did not end at 2:30. Instead, a mass of Occupy Davis students and sympathizers mobilized outside, demanding to have their voice heard. After some initial confusion, UC Chancellor Linda Katehi refused to leave the building, attempting to give the media the impression that the students were somehow holding her hostage.

A group of highly organized students formed large gap for the chancellor to leave. They chanted “we are peaceful” and “just walk home,” but nothing changed for several hours. Eventually student representatives convinced the chancellor to leave after telling their fellow students to sit down and lock arms.

lhfang Lee Fang
    #ucdavis students are euphoric as someone announces this is headline news at CNN, Google news, etc.

lhfang Lee Fang
    Pepper sprayed student leads mic check. Met with Katehi and asked for resignation yfrog.com/kk6zibhj

lhfang Lee Fang
    Some 1,000 #ucdavis students form wider human chain, sitting in silence & linking arms yfrog.com/h2fqexqj

lhfang Lee Fang
    Awkward silence as hundreds of students prepare for UC Chancellor to leave

lhfang Lee Fang
    students now sitting & linking arms. last mic check: "silence for we are the peaceful ones!" yfrog.com/klddqchj

lhfang Lee Fang
    Chancellor leaves in utter silence as looks of shame stare at her. 1,000 stayed disciplined yfrog.com/nte7upbj

UC Davis Chancellor Emerges From Standoff, Tells Me She Didn’t Feel Threatened

• Like Like x 5
  17. 00anon00 Member

Impressive restraint
    • Like Like x 3
  18. 00anon00 Member

Thats that for her career
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 3
  19. theodor Member

i dont live in USA and the coverage of any of these demonstrations is white washed or not even really covered at all, are tensions high in USA? and what is the next step for the people if the police continue to violate human rights? i see videos of people remaining strong and i hope vengeance comes for the oppressors.
  20. The Wrong Guy Member

21. quantify Member

She should resign immediately. She has no credibility in that school.
  22. theodor Member

is anyone help accountable for the action of the police?
  23. The Wrong Guy Member

24. lulzgasm Member

Technically yes. But in reality.... :(
  25. Anonymous Member

Guys, here are some things you can do. Consider taking a few minutes to email/call the following people.
    1. Contact the UC Davis Chancellor here and call upon her resignation immediately. She is essentially the scumbag that authorized excessive police force, and is obviously not fit to serve the student community. For inspiration on what to write, you may read a professor's open letter to the chancellor here.
    Note: Nevesis has suggested emailing the chancellor directly instead of using the web submission form that I provided. The chancellor's direct email is lkatehi@chancellor.ucdavis.eduand katehi@ucdavis.edu
    2. Police contact information.
  26. Anonymous Member

For those of you who don't already know, Pepper Spray, as used as a weapon of political control, scores around 5,000,000 on the Scoville scale (used to grade the 'heat' of chilli peppers). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale

That's more than 100 times hotter than Tabasco sauce or Cayenne pepper.

It is deliberate, cold-blooded cruelty, the way it has been used on these students.

I hope Chancellor Katehi understands the reasons for the silent protest.
  27. Anonymous Member

The protest against Katehi is a great thing.

She should feel the full contempt of the people that she is supposed to be looking out for. I hope she is unable to sleep for guilt.

But this call and repeat thing is fail and full of AIDS.
    No need for it, everyone was listening to that dude and he had a loud enough voice, they didn't need to repeat.
    It's an OTT egofag trip.
    Just sayin'.
  28. I see the mic check thing, while maybe silly looking on the surface, as a very effective tool in showing unity and in having all protesters add their voice to the agreed upon strategy. Much more so than merely following the message of an individual who could then be viewed as issuing instructions.

I bet Katehi did indeed have a sleepless night. I hope she spent it in careful thought and reflection.
  29. The Wrong Guy Member

The reporter who was there said that there were a thousand people outside. What was being said was mainly directed at the people who were inside the building.
  30. Anonymous Member

The chancellor is making a statement on monday.
    Her position is untenable,i hope she realises this and resigns.
  31. The Wrong Guy Member

KCBSNews KCBS 740AM/106.9FM
    Two UC Davis police officers have been placed on administrative leave following their use of pepper spray in Friday's arrest of protesters.
    3 minutes ago
  32. Anonymous Member

I've met her. She seems like an intelligent, reasonable person; I don't understand how people like her are allowing these incredible abuses by police to take place.

From the comments section of the YT vid:
    It's really awful being on the wrong side of history, isn't it?
    MrCowicide 9 hours ago 32 pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gif

I'm in San Francisco, very near Oakland and an hour and a half from Davis. Because these events are spread out across the country and have been happening so rapidly there isn't a sense of concentrated "tension", but people are watchful. Because we are in a national election cycle, with presidential elections a year away, and because the economic situation here is likely to NOT improve over the coming year, there's undoubtedly more drama in our future, not less.

FYI, California is in deep economic shit, worse than a lot of the rest of the US, and we are seeing the results of "austerity" measures on a daily basis.
  33. 00anon00 Member

I can't find the link, but there was a unofficial review of the pepper spraying at UC Davis. The police reviewer believed it was justified because there were 2 episodes of "resisting arrest". One woman pulled her arm back from the campus policeman who grabbed it, and someone else rolled up in a fetal position.

If this is the definition of "resiting arrest" then we need a new definition.
    Also this statement pops up alot.
    "At a news conference Saturday, UC Davis Police Chief Annette Spicuzza said the decision to use pepper spray was made at the scene.

"The students had encircled the officers," she said. "They needed to exit. They were looking to leave but were unable to get out."
    This is simply not true (note: a polite way of saying they are dirty rotten liars). The video shows the officers were surrounded AFTER they pepper sprayed the students. The human mic got the people out of the way so the officers could go.
    "You can leave, you can leave"
    Powerful and I cried watching it. (No homo)
    • Like Like x 1
  34. 00anon00 Member

Look into it more. It sounds creepy the first time you hear it. BUT it allows the crowd to express ideas w/o a bullhorn. If they don't like what the speaker is saying, they just stop repeating it. The people control the mic.
  35. Anonymous Member

Not good enough. The pigs acted illegally and should face a judge.
  36. Anonymous Member

I remain annoyed by its creepy church-like sound, but it's a moot point in the grand scheme of events.

What they did in silently facing that chancellor woman was powerful and moving.
    • Like Like x 1
  37. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  38. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  39. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1