Customize

according to tehran bureau 9th of july looks to be eventful

Discussion in 'News And Current Events' started by Unregistered, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Visionary Member

From all indications though Ahmadinejad has given handouts, not constructive results.

Also I think the freedom to not be shot, beaten to death, or raped by the regime's thugs for even being near a protest is a pretty important thing.
  2. Visionary Member

I'll be honest, I kind of stop paying extra attention to Iran for a while after Ahmadinejad was elected. I made the false assumption that because he won the first election that it meant people were not looking for reform anymore.

Seeing how things were in the run up to the current elections and their aftermath...I will not make that mistake again.

At least some people did, for instance the students who were treated so badly in the past did.
    And for the others...well they sure as hell are now, lol!
    More groups and clerics are coming out every day condemning the violent crackdown and the regime.
  3. Ahmadinejad's populist propaganda

Dear friend, I've worked on the topic of Iran for many years, and your supposition that those opposing Ahmadi are 'elites' and those supporting Ahmadi are the salt of the earth is not correct. Over the past years, 'the classes that actually do the work' (as you put it) have carried out strike after strike -- from Haft Tappeh's sugar industries, to teachers nationwide, to Tehran's transit workers, to textile workers, etc. -- and have been attacked by security forces or in some cases jailed. Furthermore, if you're into economic justice, you might find that Ahmadinejad's economic policies - despite his slogans - have been hardly soclialistic. A bit research on your part would provide you with all necessary details. Please stop repeating this absurd populist propaganda about Ahmadinejad's supposed special link to the working classes.
  4. I think you meant "Let (Green) Freedom Reign!". :)
  5. JohnDoe Moderator

Bribery?

I wonder if the reason the poor were behind Amamadman in this election, was anything to do with the fact that in months leading up to the election, he travelled to the poorest of the poor areas of every part of the country and gave $50 to each family in those districts?

I also listened to John Simpson - highly respected journalist - who has been covering Iran for over 30 years, even travelled back to Iran with Khomeni on the plane from his exile and asked him that famous question "how do you feel about returning to Iran after so long?" and the expresionless answer "nothing"!!!!!!!!!

Anyway in the report he gave, he said what amazed him about his time in Iran this time, was that the unrest was not just among the rich northern suburbs, nor just among students - but it was in every single part of the city, people were openly saying they did not want Amadinajad.
  6. Srpska Member

No. However, the combination of the the upper and middle classes, the educated, the young and the disaffected takes in a fair swathe of Iran, where the birth rate is relatively high and the population pyramid quite bottom-heavy; moreover, with the spread of electronic communication, the younger tech-savvy chunks of ALL the social classes are starting to feel uncomfortable.
    I'm almost speechless with a combination of shock and amusement here. You're actually managing to ignore the victory of Barack Obama last year in order to try and hammer out your antiquated point. Falling back on the previous, defeated Democrat as evidence when there is a current, victorious one right in front of your nose is - well, "disingenuous" doesn't come close.
    Au contraire; fluctuat nec mergitur.
    No. The un-educated rural poor are behind Ahmedinejad. The urban poor, largely, are with the protesters.
    You're actually saying you wouldn't notice or mind if all the doctors, nurses, surgeons, dentists, lawyers, teachers, lecturers, civil servants, secretaries, office workers, IT support staff, web designers, graphic designers, publishers, cameramen, sound engineers, lighting crew, directors, newsreaders, priests, counsellors, psychiatrists, therapists, physios, photographers and scrounging liberal arts faggots in your country went on strike?
  7. Beat it you regime agent / Basiji scum!
  8. Swarm Theory Member

It's not where they are standing..

that Ahmedi-Nejad should be worrying about.

It's what they have in their hands he should worry about.
  9. Akhbar Azadi Member

Hold on a minute

So the rural poor were solidly behind Mr Dinner Jacket were they? Hmmmm, not here they weren't
  10. Sunshine-IRAN Member

Students cannot wage effective strikes?!?!?!?!

This was a little bit back, but I just got on this thread....

I'm sorry, but you truly believe students cannot wage effective strikes? What about college students' role in the Islamic revolultion?

Or since apparently you seem to think the situation in Iran is comparable to the US :)eek: ?!?!?!) students' role in the Vietnam war, civil rights movement....etc. etc.

From my experience, hot headed energetic college kids wage some of the mose effective strikes...
  11. It least since the last election...
  12. Stacy Member

There are others that would say we don't have to right now, but that could change at any minute.

Some see a danger before the last election and some see a danger since the last election.
  13. election was last month, dude. it's a little too late to be campaigning for ahmadinejad.
  14. Folks do you mind keeping your American politics out of this - this is not about you or any of us in the free west, but about freedom for Iran
  15. Kruge Moderator

or to bring it more to the point:

16. Srpska Member

Dude, what? The bazaars were the crucible of much of the revolutionary activity in Iran throughout the entire Twentieth Century. If you don't believe me, go read a book. I recommend Blood and Oil by Manucher Farmanfarmaian.
  17. Stacy Member

As the last many, many years shows, American politics seem to have a LOT to do with not just Iran, but many countries.

American politics has been a huge part of Iran, it was deeply involved in the Hostage Crisis, American politics is deeply involved in the Middle East.

American politics also involves the will of the people, we do have a voice and it our government isn't helping something the people want helped, eventually our government can't ignore us. It will be shown all over the world and they can't stop it from being shown.
  18. All good points, but I like this website for concentrated news and discusion about IRAN.

Thanks
  19. Stacy Member

Guess I should have been more clear on my statement and this is the last I'll say on it.

No, this is not a discussion of US politics site but with what is going on you can't expect no mention at all of US politics because US politics are also inovled in this.
  20. Usa! Usa! Usa!
    We're number one!!
    We're number one!!
  21. Stacy Member

Getting back to the topic.

I haven't seen much on the plan for a gathering on this anniversary, is this still planned?
  22. JohnDoe Moderator

American Policies

Yes it's true that American policies have been a huge part of Iran - both America & Britain have to take responsibility for disposing of the elected Mossadeq in 1953. Our countries played a major role in overthrowing the Shah in 1979 - which led to the current tyrannical dictatorship.

From 1997 until 2005 Iran had elected (in spite of the best attempts of the regime) a reformist president - who made massive steps forward, when understood against the background of the restrictions that were on him.

After 9/11 Tehranis were out on the street with candles in support of America.

Then came the State of the Union speech in Jan 2002. "Iran with Syria is part of the axis of evil" (The same Iran who have been providing not only airspace but also information for the attacks in Afghanistan)

My Iranian spouse wept that day, and said "he has just put Iran back 10 years in the reforming process "

With any Iranian I know there is no doubt in their mind that the reason Ahmadenijad got elected in 2005 was a direct result of that 'axis of evil speech'

In everything we have read in the intervening period the message has been the same "What do Iranians need & want?" They say they need the American gvt (in particular) to support democracy in Iran, and allow the people to bring the change.

Fast forward to 2009. One prominent Iranian on his web site urged the gvts of the world to support the people, to condemn the violence etc etc. What President Obama consistently done? He has supported the people and condemned the violence. (The reqest that Twitter postponed essential maintenance on their system - so that people could get their message out, came from ?????? the State Dept!)

You & I, and probably most genuine people on this forum hope for, long for and believe that this is the end of the regime. However your gvt & mine have to keep their options open. They may well have to work with the current regime for a little longer. Whilst we would love to see the world stepping in, at this point in time, I don't believe they can. For the change to be genuine and lasting has to come from the people - the only people in the world who can bring it are the Iranian people themselves. (AND THEY WILL!!!!!)

But as a non American married to an Iranian I can tell I am very grateful that there is a wise president who thinks before he speaks, and every statement is very measured and well thought through.
    Indeed it may well be that because Iran is no longer being linked to the Axis of Evil, that that is what given the people the courage to stand up against the regime - for they no longer feel a threat against their country from America. (And Iranians are very nationalistic - they will defend their country against any outside threat - eg the war in Iraq which only solidified the regime's position!)

Yes Stacy I agree with you that America has a key role to play - but I'm not sure I agree on what that role should be. Remember if America steps in and is seen to be meddling then the Regime can say "I told you so!"

What all the world gvts need to be doing is taking advice from those who do know! They need to be freezing assets of the IRG, and listing companies that they own so that they can boycotted.

No more sanctions on the country - that only leads to hardship for the people and as has been seen time and again - doesn't work.

Political sanctions yes - refusing to give credibility to the 'president' might well be another option - but nothing that will harm the people. And certainly continuing to support the people technology wise - help them get their message out uninteruppted - that would be vital.

(We can at least say that none of our gvts have congratulated Amamadman - that is good and long may that continue!)
  23. Stacy Member

Oh I'm not so sure we have a role to play, but I am sure we always affect many countries. At this point I really don't have any ideas of what our Country should do if anything. It's all really a big mess.

American politics just seems tightly woven with other countries politics, not because I think they should be, but because it seems to happen that way, that was my point.
  24. maxoud Member

25. JohnDoe Moderator

My problem is that I'm dead impatient, and long to know all that is happening! Which of course is rather foolish on my part - for if info is accessible to me then it's accessible to the regime as well, who then would take steps to prevent or destroy it!:eek:

I guess I'm just going to have to learn to be content and wait until I hear the reports of what has happened, since I can't be a part of it anyway!!!!!
  26. Stacy Member

Thanks Max!

Roe, I'm impatient also. I keep thinking we should be seeing all of this on the news. I guess watching the Gulf War and Desert Storm on the news got us spoiled.
  27. maxoud Member

your wellcome Stacy, my first name is masoud= مسعود by the way.

IRAN: Protesters advised to carry roses as weapons

Keep quiet under all circumstances, the circular advises those planning to march in Thursday's unauthorized demonstrations in Iran cities.

"The heaviest weapon to carry is one rose in the hand," it says.

As Iranians prepare for what could be another violent day of confrontations Thursday between demonstrators and security forces, including pro-government plainclothes Basiji militias, supporters of opposition candidate Mir-Hossein Mousavi have distributed instructions to try to keep any anticipated violence to a minimum.

One video making its way around the Internet shows demonstrators how to make devices to disable the motorcycles used by truncheon-wielding Basiji and Ansar-e-Hezbollah militiamen.

The marches, which are taking place amid continued political discord over the June 12 election of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, are meant to mark the 10-year anniversary of the storming of Tehran University dormitories by pro-government militias and subsequent weeks of unrest.

The circular urges marchers to avoid wearing the green that has become the official color of the Mousavi campaign or "flashy make-up" in order to demonstrate the marchers' serious intent.

It suggests demonstrators leave cellphones and jewelry at home and carry only an identification card and relatives' phone numbers.

If protesters decide it's too risky to take part in the rally, the circular advises them to walk or drive around in their own neighborhoods, flashing the "victory" sign with their fingers.

"Bear in mind the most important point is to walk to the destination and not follow the exact path," the message advises. "Wherever you see the anti-riot police or militia ... hindering you ... change your path ... the goal is to keep on going."

From:IRAN: Protesters advised to carry roses as weapons | Babylon & Beyond | Los Angeles Times
  28. Ray Murphy Member

What a great plan!
    "Wherever you see the anti-riot police or militia ... hindering you ... change your path ... the goal is to keep on going."

Attached Files:

29. Abolrish Member

You're right. Look: the whole "elite" argument looks like Sarah Palin's argument that she represented "the real America". And it's pointless as well.

What these guys pretend to be the "real Iran" - i.e. farmers and villages - by now is no more than a bare 30% of the overall Iran population.

The Islamic Republic was very effecive in transforming a rural and illiterate country into an industrial and literate one. Or at least the transformation happened anyway and there's nothing to do about that.

Even claiming that students are an "elite", in a country where 50% of the population is under 25 yrs old, is pretty ridiculous! Calling them "elite" is the admission of a total lack of capacity to attract the sympthy of the real backbone of the iranian society. And the only guys tol blame for that are the present iranian hardline rulers.

And that's why the present iranian ruling class can rule only by violence.