Customize

Accounts count over on ExScn

Discussion in 'Media' started by TrevAnon, Jul 31, 2009.

1. TrevAnon Member

Accounts count over on ExScn

Somewhere on this board - I don't know where - I saw a post where was told that over on ExScn the growth in accounts was pushed ever since Chanology / Enturb / WWP started.

I decided to make a short analysis. Keep in mind that, as here on WWP, people may have more than one account, and that also people who are not ex-scientologist have made accounts, etcetera, etcetera. Despite these and other factors, I think my results give a good impression.

- ExScn has 2000 accounts, however, as of today roughly only 70% of them has made at least one post.
    - As far as I know ExScn started January 2007. In that month an average 2.5 accounts per day were made.
    - Through the rest of 2007 an average of 0.7 accounts per day were added.
    - In 2008, so when Chanology started, an average of 3 accounts per day were made. Especially in February and March the average daily growth was high with 5.5 and 4.7 accounts respectively.
    - The rest of that year as well as 2009 until July on average 2.6 accounts per day are added.

Don't know if this is interesting to anyone over here on WWP, but after having made the analysis I thought it would be fail not to post anything about it.
  2. moarxenu Member

Re: Accounts count over on ExScn

Thanks. This is relevant to my interests.
  3. TrevAnon Member

Anyone interested in the spreadsheet I made and who I can verify please PM me.

I do not have an account on ESMB myself. I used only public information.
  4. Anonymous Member

This is really interesting. Thanks.

I'm curious, did you create a script to extract the data from ESMB's member pages?

PM flying your way re the spreadsheet too.
  5. JohnnyRUClear Member

Stats are cool, if handled intelligently and honestly.
  6. Re: Accounts count over on ExScn

It's probably outside the scope of you analsys, but it would probably be interesting to note the % of accounts that are:

Long-out Exes

New-out Exes

Anons

FZers (and their socks)

"none of the above"

and 0-post lurkers
  7. Re: Accounts count over on ExScn

Thanks for posting this, I was curious.
  8. TrevAnon Member

That indeed is outside the scope of my analysis.

One would first have to define mutually exclusive groups for this kind of an analysis. For example, if some person uses "anon123456" as a nick that could mean (s)he is an anon who was never in, who is now in the FZ, or an anon who is out for a long or short time. (I think by "anon" you mean someone who was never in?)

It would then require a content-analysis of the posts by each single poster. That is far beyond what I can do. For starters I don't think I have enough knowledge of Scientology and FZ to be able to make a distinction between the two. Even for someone who has the knowledge it will be difficult, for example if a poster has only left a few posts.

So I'll leave this task to someone who is more capable and has more time.
  9. TrevAnon Member

tl;dr : I made a classification that might come in handy when talking about people who talk about Scientology....

Based on three variables, I made a classification that might be useful.

Variable 1: CO$ status.
    - You are in CO$ (as public, staff or Sea Org)
    - You have been in CO$ (as public, staff or Sea Org)
    - You never were in CO$

Variable 2: beliefs. You believe LRH BS yes or no.

Variable 3: anonymity. You are anonymous yes or no. I.e. you speak out anonymously, the other possibility being you were never anonymous, or you were namefagged.

Using these three variables, I get the following groups:

A. You are in CO$ and believe LRH BS
    - Not anonymous. Example: Tom Cruise.
    - Anonymous: Well, I do not have a good example here. (Herro might qualify, lol...)

B. You are in CO$ but you don't believe LRH BS anymore. However, you keep that to yourself.
    - Anonymous. For example, someone who is afraid to be declared or disconnected.
    - Not anonymous. Illogical combination, so I won't talk about it anymore. (However, Tommy Davis might qualify, lol.... )

C. You have been in CO$ and you believe LRH BS.
    These are people who practice Scientology in the Freezone or independently.
    - Not anonymous: Examples: Jonathon Barbera over on ARS, also maybe Ball of Fluff on ESMB? (not sure about this)
    - Anonymous: I don't have any examples.

D. You have been in CO$ and don't believe LRH BS anymore.
    - Anonymous: I don't have any examples. Maybe you qualify...?!
    - Not anonymous: Magoo, Jason Beghe, many more.

E. You were never in CO$ and you believe LRH BS
    Think of people who went directly to FreeZone, or who were born into FZ. Anonymous or not anonymous: I don't have examples.

F. You were never in CO$ and you do not believe LRH BS
    - Anonymous: a lot of people over here, myself included
    - Not anonymous: Paulette Cooper, Mark Bunker, Andreas Heldal-Lund, others

One could argue if, for people who were never in CO$, it matters whether they believe LRH BS or not. In case you don't think it matters, you could merge E and F.

Problem with this classification is of course that there will be discussion about putting people in the right place. I think we can't do anything about that.

Your thoughts please...? :p
  10. JustAnotherEx Member

Not a bad beginning, but I am sure you will find people who don't fit unless you add a few more categories. lol

It would be interesting to see the results of such a poll or study... providing you could get cooperation given that so many post not at all or simply lurk without registering. What would be hilarious is if you found that the Anon lurkers outnumbered them all!

Looking at all the categories you have so far, do you get an idea of the multifaceted complexity of the place? Kind of like an 8 headed pushme-pullyu perhaps? (With all the heads talking at the same time, of course! lol)
  11. Django Member

Just one data point here. I have an account at ESMB (and ESK as well), lurk there sometimes but don't post 'cause I was never in Scn, and I kinda don't think it's my discussion. Or something.

OTOH, I'd hang out at OCMB a LOT more if I was allowed to participate. But NOOOOOOO......
  12. TrevAnon Member

You could start a thread over on ESMB about THIS thread. Maybe they like it (or not...).

I just looked if I could make a same kind of analysis for OCMB, but as I have no account there, I cannot see the member list (if there is any).
  13. JustAnotherEx Member

On ESMB there is a pretty well respected NEVER-Sci who goes by the name Zinjifar.

He seems to be the true canary in the coal mine and probably the most sane being in the place too! lol But yeah, say the wrong thing and you may accidentally gore one of the many sacred oxen. Still, it's your discussion if you make it so. Sometimes I think the place might benefit from the presence of a few more Zinjifars... too bad he is so unique.

As for OCMB... I can't get in there either. *shrugs*
  14. Smurf Member

Zinjifar is an OG that's been around for a very long time.. he was actively posting on the newsgroup alt.religion.scientology when I was in OSA. Don't know if he still posts there or not.

He was one of the more cooler heads there.
  15. Relyt Member

cool_story_bro.jpg
  16. TrevAnon Member

/r/ to a mod to change thread title to "Accounts count on related sites" or something.

This because now I have done a similar analysis on the ESK-memberlist:
    - ESK started February 2008
    - They now have 1129 accounts, of which only 54% was used to make at least one post
    - Like on ESMB at the start a lot of people took an account: 2.5 a day in February '08, a staggering 12.4 per day in March '08, 4.7 in April '08 and 2.4 in May '08.
    - During the rest of 2008 approx. 1.2 account per day was added.
    - In 2009 approx. 0.9 account per day was added.

Of course the site has a target group that's different from ExScn, so it's no surprise that the numbers are different.
  17. Anonymous Member

Respected by those who don't know him, tolerated by those who do.

Most people don't take kindly to unemployed 50 year old losers who try to nonce up 14 year old girls.

I don't anyway.

[I always post anon btw.]
  18. Anonymous Member

Imnotsupposedtobehere would fill this latter category. Only person I can think of who does though.
  19. Anonymous Member

Thank you for differentiating.

I know people in the E. group.
    Please do not arbitrarily merge with the Fs.

Some Es may be inclined to ally with Chanology, but some would not.
    Also, some Fs will indeed take this distinction very seriously.
  20. tazor Member

Dox or GTFO. I happen to think very highly of Zinj.

And I can see why you always post anon.
  21. Anonymous Member

I've PM'd them to you. [Don't want to fag up the thread, and take it off-topic. The original comment p'd me off though, given the facts.]
  22. tazor Member

Don't pm me with that bullshit again.
  23. TypingChimp Member

Hmm, critic being labeled a pedobear with no public dox. Where have I heard that one before? Oh, SAy can you see?

Please PM me. I can always use something else to ignore.
  24. Anonymous Member

Don't shout for "Dox" on the subject again then.

Anyway...derail over. Sorry.
  25. tazor Member

I didn't shout. And I also didn't get dox.

I got some logs with some people gossiping and some logs with Zinj (or someone using that nick talking about a meeting with the FBI. No proof of anything as far as I'm concerned.
  26. Anonymous Member

That's why I give you the names of some of the people that participated in the original chat. As many of them post here, if you want to confirm that the logs are accurate, it's not hard.

Anyway, like I said, I respected the guy myself before it happened. I'm not someone who tends to sit judging other people's "peccadilloes," I'm sure I've got more than a few that other people would disapprove of. However this is some very sick sh?#.
  27. TrevAnon Member

I now compared the names of the accounts used on ExScn and ESK.

There are 200 accounts that are used on both sites.

I could only do a literal comparison. However, I corrected for uppercase/lowercase, so Alanzo = alanzo.

Of course I do not know if the person who uses e.g. the Smurf-account on the one site is the same as the person who uses the Smurf-account on the other site.

It's a funny job making these analyses. :)