Customize

Alex Gibney: Going Clear

Discussion in 'Media' started by DeathHamster, Nov 24, 2014.

• Like Like x 2
  1. The Wrong Guy Member

‘Going Clear’ subject Tom DeVocht reveals new info about Tom Cruise and Scientology’s leader

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker

Tom_Devocht_GC3-e1426913093813.jpg

We have another screenshot from Alex Gibney’s documentary Going Clear, which airs on Sunday, March 29 at 8pm. Pictured here is one of the eight former Scientologists interviewed for the movie, former Sea Org executive Tom DeVocht. We recently gave you a little background on Tom and explained how he’s been dealing with an increase in private investigator harassment as the movie’s airing nears.

And now, for the first time, he’s giving us new information about what he saw up close as one of Scientology leader David Miscavige’s most trusted lieutenants at a time when one of Miscavige’s top priorities was actor Tom Cruise. We’ll let DeVocht explain.

In Alex Gibney’s documentary Going Clear, I was glad to see how much Tom Cruise is put on the spot about his behavior in the church. I’ve seen others portray Tom as a kind of “victim” of Scientology. It simply isn’t true.

Many people are victims of Scientology. They’ve been bullied into submission. They’ve had their family and friends ripped away from them through Scientology’s policy of “disconnection.” Others have been ruined financially, and some have had their minds so warped they no longer know who they really are.

Someone like my sister, for example. And my ex-wife, Jenny Linson (daughter of Fight Club producer Art Linson). Both women have been turned into mindless automatons. And let’s not forget the young children who have been raised in the cult. When they finally escape into the outside world, they typically have no formal education, and nowhere to go or the means to get there.

No, Tom Cruise doesn’t fit into any of those categories, except for maybe not knowing who he is. But it’s plain that his involvement in the Scientology cult has done him nothing but harm.

So why is Tom Cruise involved with Scientology at all?

I worked closely with David Miscavige for years. I became for a while his “buddy,” and, unwittingly, one of his henchmen. I did his dirty work, spending many millions of dollars in parishioner donations on a roughly 40,000-square-foot building at the International Base near Hemet, California.

It was “Building 50,” or the headquarters of the Religious Technology Center, the controlling entity of Scientology, which Miscavige runs as its Chairman of the Board. (Hence, the name he’s called by lowly parishioners, “COB.”)

Almost everything in this over-the-top building was custom made, from hand-woven rugs and one-of-a-kind pieces of furniture, to bulletproof windows and a customized stainless steel desk. Miscavige was adamant that this building would be a showpiece — even though it sits on a piece of desert property in the middle of nowhere and is never visited by anyone except members of the inner sanctum of Scientology leadership.

But what does this have to do with Tom Cruise? My answer: Everything.

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2015/03/21/go...nfo-about-tom-cruise-and-scientologys-leader/
    • Like Like x 5
  2. RightOn Member

We are SIX away from hitting 2500 names on the Big List! (thanks to TrevAnon and Incred)
    I think Gibney and Wright need to know just how many are speaking out!
    • Like Like x 9
  3. RightOn Member

WE WENT OVER 2500!
    Thanks to TrevAnon!
    WOO HOO!
    With everything that is going on right now, it is the time for the Big List to get more legs.
    It has to be spread far and wide. If anyone posts on Ortega's blog, let me them know!
    Tweet it to all the exes! Tweet it to Gibney, Wright, and whoever! GO GO GO!!!!
    • Like Like x 14
  4. Mr. Magoo Member

Like Like Like Like Like Like Like Like Like

Surely once Going Clear airs, even more will feel comfortable to speak out.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. The Wrong Guy Member

Cancel Your HBO Service

By Mike Rinder

Next chapter in the footbullet parade.

I guess he doesn’t realize it, but this will give an accurate count of how many dedicated scientologists there are in the United States. HBO will be able to tally up how many cancellations they receive.

If it tops a couple of dozen I would be stunned.

These people demonstrate two things about fundamentalist scientologists (which is likely true of all fundamentalists):

1. They have a hugely inflated sense of their self-worth

2. They have tissue-paper thin skin.

It is sort of amazing that scientology does not believe they can live in the face of criticism.

If it was true that their technology is beyond anything ever seen before and is so powerful it can turn ordinary mortals into homo novis surely they can stand up to some criticism without the need to overreact? Why not let the good works and miracles demonstrate their worth instead of ranting about anyone and everyone that doesn’t share their views?

Every day, they prove the truth of what is contained in Going Clear.

View attachment TO_MY_FRIENDS__CANCEL_YOUR_HBO_SERVICE_HBO___Cary_

Continued here: http://www.mikerindersblog.org/cancel-your-hbo-service/
    • Like Like x 6
  6. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 7
  7. The Wrong Guy Member

Scientology Leader David Miscavige Wanted Tom Cruise To Break Up With Penelope Cruz: Report

Tom Cruise dated Penelope Cruz dated from 2001 to 2004 but according to a new report, their relationship was frowned upon by Scientology leader David Miscavige.

Tom DeVocht, one of Miscavige’s most trusted lieutenants in the Church Of Scientology, claims Miscavige said Cruz “had to go,” according to reporter Tony Ortega‘s blog The Underground Bunker.

Continued here:
    http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2015/03/david-miscavige-break-up-tom-cruise-penelope-cruise/
    • Like Like x 7
  8. http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...lear&p=1018547&viewfull=1#post1018547

• Like Like x 6
  9. How will those with out cable tv see it?
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Sioux City Journal - REVIEW: 'Going Clear' fills in blanks most have about Scientology

http://siouxcityjournal.com/enterta...cle_ac8f1b87-1abd-5bb8-bbee-018aa732d242.html

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

“Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief” has so many confessions from high-level former members, it will be hard for church officials to claim this is nothing more than a hatchet job.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Although it’s two hours long, “Going Clear” speeds by. That’s because Gibney has so much material, made understandable by those who once promoted it. The documentary suggests that Scientology’s membership numbers have declined but its reach has expanded. It now has headquarters in a number of key cities.

Mesmerizing? If you’ve had even a passing interest in Scientology, “Going Clear” will fascinate in ways you never thought possible.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Anonymous Member

On Libel And The Law, U.S. And U.K. Go Separate Ways

http://www.ideastream.org/news/npr/394273902

Posted: March 21, 2015

An HBO documentary about Scientology, Going Clear, won't be released in Britain. Neither will the book on which it's based. That's because British and U.S. free speech protections are very different.

In the U.S. this past week, HBO aired the documentary Going Clear, about the Church of Scientology, to strong reviews. The nonfiction book on which the film is based was short-listed for the National Book Award.

Yet there have been serious challenges to releasing the film and the book in the U.K. That's because Britain does not have the same free speech protections as the United States.

As with many other works of investigative journalism, publishing Going Clear in the U.K. could expose the authors to a much more serious risk of lawsuits than they face in the U.S.

Given how closely the U.S. and Britain align on many topics, the degree to which they differ on the issue of free speech is striking.

Rachel Ehrenfeld never set out to become the face of this issue.

"I just set out to write the truth, to expose those who funded terrorism," she says.

Ehrenfeld runs a think tank in New York called the American Center for Democracy. In 2003, she wrote a book called Funding Evil: How Terrorism is Financed, and How to Stop It.

The book accused a wealthy Saudi businessman of funding al-Qaida. The businessman, Khalid bin Mahfouz, sued Ehrenfeld in a British court.

"I did not live in England, I do not live in England, the book was not published there, so why not come and sue me in the United States?" she asks.

The reason is simple.

"English laws are much more favorable for someone looking to protect their reputation," says Jenny Afia, a lawyer in London who often represents people making libel and privacy claims.

Ehrenfeld's case was an example of "libel tourism," where someone brings a libel claim in a country where he is most likely to win. Often, that country is Great Britain.

"Crooks and brigands from around the world come here to launder their reputations, where they couldn't get exculpation in either their home country or indeed in the United States of America," says Mark Stephens, a London lawyer who often represents media companies in these cases.

In American courts, the burden of proof rests with the person who brings a claim of libel. In British courts, the author or journalist has the burden of proof, and typically loses.

"So you've got the rich and powerful shutting down and chilling speech which is critical of them," says Stephens.

Afia disagrees with that characterization. Journalists "are writing about the wealthy and the powerful, so those are the people who are going to be the victim to more false claims, and they're the people whose families will have their privacy invaded," she says.

U.S. Fights Back With 'Rachel's Law'

When author Rachel Ehrenfeld was sued in England, she didn't show up, and the court issued a default judgment against her, "that I would destroy the book, in addition to the fine" of about $250,000.

Typically, a U.S. court would enforce that ruling. But in this case, something extraordinary happened.
    The New York Legislature took up Ehrenfeld's cause and passed a bill called the Libel Terrorism Protection Act. Many referred to it as "Rachel's Law."

Then, the U.S. Congress acted on it. Rep. Steve Cohen, D-Tenn., spoke on the House floor about the bill, known at the federal level as the "Speech Act."

"While we generally share a proud common law legal tradition with the United Kingdom," Cohen said, "it is also true that the United Kingdom has laws that disfavor speech critical of public officials, contrary to our own constitutional tradition."

The bill passed the House and the Senate unanimously, and President Obama signed it into law in 2010. It prevents U.S. courts from enforcing British libel rulings.

(more at the link with a downloadable audio commentary... )

http://www.ideastream.org/news/npr/394273902
    • Like Like x 6
  12. The Wrong Guy Member

The Internet Movie Database currently has fourteen reviews of Going Clear. This one is excellent, and has been voted the most popular:

Extremely Valuable and Gripping Viewing
    14 March 2015 | by reluctantpopstar (North Hollyweird) – See all my reviews

I moved to Hollywood in 1989. My first experience with Scientology rank-and-file was seeing crowds of Sea Org teenagers milling about Hollywood Boulevard in their fake naval uniforms. I was like, what is this? The Navy docked in port? Uh, no, the port's 25 miles away. Halloween is two weeks away, so what is the costume party all about? Scientology had a lot more members then, so there were dozens of these people wandering around, trying to look important and accomplished. All of them probably under 20 years old. They all looked like children playing dress up. I just smirked and shook my head. It was a combination of hatred and sadness that I felt for these poor children. Many times later on, passing the by the Scientology "Testing Center," I got hit up on the sidewalk for a free "personality test," or maybe it was a "stress test" by that point, I can't remember. I took one look at the zombie-like girl with the plastered smile, and just laughed. I wanted to tell her, I see right through your lousy sales technique. That smile is not real. You're miserable. You're trying to sell books and register new members and are failing miserably. I wish I could have helped her. I wish I could have told her, you know, it's okay to be grumpy. It's okay not to smile 100-percent of the time. We're all humans and we have emotions. That's just how it is. I can see somebody being grumpy especially doing the job that you're doing. You think Scientology works somehow? You're trying to audit away your emotions? That means you're attempting to audit away your humanity.

Years later, I started running into several books laying bare the psychosis of L. Ron Hubbard and his army (sorry, navy) of hypnotized, brainwashed robots. Then I started to get mad. Mad that this organized fraud mafia masquerading as a religion existed and there was apparently no way anyone could prosecute them for their crimes. Then, when the internet became a thing, the word began to spread far and wide about the ongoing criminal activities of Scientology. Human trafficking, kidnapping, slave labor, espionage, wholesale fraud, negligent homicide.

With Going Clear, the true facts about Scientology are going to be revealed to the public at large. Many people watch HBO. The scales are going to fall from their eyes. So many people in the public probably don't think much about Scientology, and if they do, they think of it as that wacky alien worshiping, e-meter using religion that Tom Cruise belongs to. This film will change that perception. There are a lot of shocking facts here, and Oscar winning documentary film director Alex Gibney delivers them in a stunning presentation. The film just flew by. I was on the edge of my seat for a lot of it, and I knew most of the story.

Just to add, as a long time Scientology watcher, very little of this was new information to me. But the way that Gibney presents things using the language of film is powerful and engrossing. For people not versed in the subject, this is a fantastic primer on the madness that is Scientology. The approach of having people tell their personal stories, mixed in with archival footage, really humanizes the film.

Gibney has a lot of ground to cover. He takes a look at the life story of L. Ron Hubbard, a lot of his lies and crimes, the founding and rise of the Church of Scientology, Hubbard's death and the dictatorship since that time of one David Miscavige. The film also explicitly calls out the two highest profile Scientologists, John Travolta and Tom Cruise, and accuses them of culpability in the large range of abuses that the Church perpetrates on their low level staff, who get paid 60 cents an hour.

There are just so many bizarre tales, wacky stories, unbelievable occurrences, that a two hour movie is not enough. But it is a stunning introduction that touches on a majority of the important points. The life of L. Ron Hubbard alone could be great material for a lengthy TV series lasting several seasons about the long strange life of a sociopath, at least as watchable as Breaking Bad if not more so, except the stories would all be true events that actually happened.

If you are one of those people that dismiss Scientology as just a bunch of harmless idiots, I urge you to watch this film and get the real story of what a dangerous, power-mad organization Scientology really is. You won't regret spending the two hours.

Source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4257858/
    • Like Like x 7
  13. anon8109 Member

IMDB has
    RELEASE DATE May 16, 2015 (United States)
    Will it be widely shown in theaters, or is that the date it becomes available on Vimeo?
  14. To anyone who has seen this film: Are Rathbun and Rinder still insisting that they did nothing illegal?

I see a very protective stance regarding M&M over at such places as Ex Scientologist Message Board - which I guess is natural under the circumstances - but wouldn't it be more realistic, and truthful, to admit that, while Hubbard was a criminal psychopath, as is Miscavige, it's impossible that his two top guys - M&M - could have been unaware of any and all illegality?
  15. Marty Rathbun admitted that he knew the wiretap ordered by himself on Nicole Kidman was an illegal act. According to Marty, Miscavige ordered him to do it. He has also admitted to ordering staff to 'lose' documents relating to the Lisa McPherson case.

But he couldn't have done any of that, if he was only a low-level staff member, which CoS are now claiming (as they appear to do in every case of whistle-blowers).

Oh, and he admitted he beat up fellow executives in the Hole - but there was no Hole, and he wasn't an executive, so wasn't there, and neither was anyone else, according to CoS, except that Marty did it, according to Tommy Davis.
    • Like Like x 3
  16. RightOn Member

FYI in one of Marty's latest interviews, (I think it was the Today show) she asked if he knew if wire tapping (they were talking about Nicole Kimdan) was illegal and he said yes.
  17. Incredulicide Member

• Like Like x 1
  18. The Wrong Guy Member

‘Going Clear’ subject Hana Eltringham Whitfield fills us in on a Scientology secret or two

Hana_Whitfield_GC2-e1426982450739.jpg

Here’s another still from Alex Gibney’s documentary Going Clear, airing a week from tonight at 8 pm on HBO. This screenshot features one of the real stars of the movie, Hana Eltringham Whitfield.

Hana was one of Scientology’s original Sea Org members in 1967, and captained a couple of the vessels in L. Ron Hubbard’s small armada when he ran Scientology from sea until 1975. In the film, she provides key insights about what it was like to work with Hubbard, and how she reacted when she encountered the OT III materials when they were first released in 1968. Her account is one of the best parts of Going Clear‘s first half, and it was a delight to see so much of her on the big screen.

But her journey has many more amazing twists and turns than were able to fit in either Gibney’s film or Lawrence Wright’s epic book. And that’s why we’re happy to report that Hana has revealed to us that she has written a book proposal of her own and several chapters that she’s let us see, and it is material that will knock your socks off.

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2015/03/22/go...d-fills-us-in-on-a-scientology-secret-or-two/
    • Like Like x 5
  19. I want to hear about illegal actions having to with the IRS deal and the handling of the IRS Commissioner.

I have a feeling I'm going to be waiting a long time.
    Yogii
    This message by Yogii has been hidden due to negative ratings. (Show message)
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
  20. RightOn Member

I love me some Hana!
    <3
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Oh. I see that upset some one. Don't misunderstand. I have no doubt that illegal actions occurred. I just think that Miscavige and Rathbun and Rinder have some secrets that they quietly agree will remain secrets.
  22. Random guy Member

The IRS deal is well known by now. The cult did it by flooding the IRS with individual lawsuits until they caved. It's amoral, but not to my knowledge illegal per se. He has discussed his role in the IRS deal previously.

Is it more to the case? Possibly, but it's also possible our present knowledge is all there is to it. If there is more, it would not make sense for the cult to fight nails and claws for the right to harass his wife. He just might feel the need to spill the beans.
    • Like Like x 1
  23. RightOn Member

don't forget , that the IRS "deal" with the cult also involves letting "parishioners" take off COS courses and materials off their taxes.
    There was a court case for another family (the Sklars) who wanted to do the same for their son (I think it was for Jewish studies), but they LOST in court.
    The COS is still the ONLY "church" that has this "special" perk.
  24. anon8109 Member

The IRS has been protecting the cult for 20 years despite evidence that the cult has not respected the terms of its agreement.

There is a case for inurement with Miscavige living like a Saudi prince and his boyfriend Tom Cruise receiving all kinds of free labor.
    The cult was supposed to give refunds but doesn't.
    The squirrel busters probably broke a clause or two.
    • Like Like x 2
  25. RightOn Member

not to mention human trafficking and abuse of it's members which include and are not limited to:
    coerced abortions, causing sleep deprivation among the staff and Sea Org members, no proper medical or dental care for Sea Orgers, not paying a proper working wage, cutting people off from society, family and friend disconnection, they use mentally abusive tactics on adults and children, guilty of not following child labor laws, passport confiscation, holding people against their will, unexplained numerous deaths at their Narconon facilities, their orgs, bases and other areas, No proper medical staff at their Narconons, using extreme regging tactics and pressure for donations, illegal wire tapping, illegal harassment, illegal snooping in people's private lives, shall I go on?

Don't even get me started on whatever the hell they are doing with their shady real estate holdings.
    AND they also came into Florida under an assumed name back in the day and they were pretending to be someone else from the get go.
    All this and more needs to be out in the public NOW!
    People need to know that THEIR tax dollars are funding all this CRIME!
    It makes me sick that some of my money goes towards helping the cult.
    • Like Like x 3

26. I think you are giving Miscavige too much credit for thinking logically, therefore underestimating him. Looking at the bigger picture, there is a high probability that Scientology did conduct illegal activities when battling the IRS pre-1993. With this cult, past behavior is a very good indicator of future behavior as they stick to the same, tired, and outdated playbook. So this discussion should be reviewed with the playbook and history in mind.

Their actions prior to the IRS war in 1993:

1. Committed countless crimes against private citizens over the last 60+ years, with many of the serious offenses possibly not publicly known. That list of 2500 that speak out is just a minor segment of the larger victim pool. From what we know, there are many suspicious deaths and at least one negligent homicide;

2. Committed known crimes when infiltrating the IRS during Operation Snow White, which included the theft, infiltration, obstruction of justice, and many other criminal acts. This was conducted against a Federal Agency for years;

3. Rathbun over the last 6 years has made statements that "he's not going to jail" and alluded to a very large secret that he's threatened to release. Now Rathbun's credibility is shaky at best and I'm the last one to put stock in what dribbles out of his mouth. But his motivation to stay out of jail (which he's repeated in several interviews) is what keeps his mouth shut.

With Scientology's known playbook against known facts, it is a valid argument that Scientology did conduct dirty tricks and illegal activities against the IRS (and its employees) to achieve Federal tax-exempt status.
    • Like Like x 5
  27. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  28. Thank you for the dose of realism.

Good post.
  29. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 5
  30. anon8109 Member

31. BigBeard Member

Nice article at 'The Daily Beast this morning:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/03/23/scientology-s-sneaky-ads-slam-critics.html

I especially like the last paragraph:

BigBeard
    • Like Like x 6
  32. The Wrong Guy Member

‘Going Clear': Mike Rinder helps us understand a Scientology document that will creep you out

The letter was written in 2007, and it indicates that it was copied to Mike Rinder. We showed the document to Rinder recently, and he confirmed its authenticity. It was a letter written by Miscavige and copied to him, he says.

It’s a really strange document, filled with allusions and references to past events, and so we’re going to give it to you a few lines at a time, and we hope it gives you some idea of what it’s like to work for Scientology’s head honcho.

http://tonyortega.org/2015/03/23/go...scientology-document-that-will-creep-you-out/
    • Like Like x 3
  33. Random guy Member

I' not saying you are wrong, but Rathbun's skeleton the closet may something else, the Lisa McPherson case for instance, or some of the faggotry in connection with the Garry Armstrong case for example.

We should perhaps make a separate thread for this, not fag up the HBO-thread.
    • Like Like x 2
  34. anoninoob Member

"they stick to the same, tired, and outdated playbook."

They have no choice. With LRH's death, the policies within $cientology are now codified into dogma. It's fervent believers (DM mostly) truely believe that the Tech works 100% of the time, just follow the Tech. The Tech is now immutable, unchangeable, literally etched in titanium plates in underground bunkers. Their response is now pavlovian, they have no other choice, and this will be a large part of their eventual downfall. DM, and anyone who take over for him for that matter, will follow the Tech blindly off a cliff. They can't evolve and so will go extinct.
    • Like Like x 2
  35. DeathHamster Member

Has there been anything officially said about a UK release, or is the author assuming that?
  36. Anonymous Member

So far, the Ideastream post is all my Alerts have presented. I've seen no other references to the film with respect to the UK.