Customize

Alex Gibney: Going Clear

Discussion in 'Media' started by DeathHamster, Nov 24, 2014.

1. True.
  2. Anonymous Member

An excellent post @ VICE:

Scientology, 'Going Clear,' and the Church's Long War With the IRS

By Justin Rohrlich

March 29, 2015 | 3:30 pm

Shortly after 6am on the morning of July 8, 1977, Special Agent Elmer "Lindy" Linberg stood at the gate in front of 4833 Fountain Avenue and pushed the call button. The night caretaker of the West Hollywood building came out, walked about 10 feet toward the gate, and then stopped. He refused to come any closer.

"We are with the FBI, and we are here to serve a federal search warrant," Linberg shouted.
    The imposing 500,000 square-foot building that once housed the Cedars of Lebanon Hospital had been purchased the year before by the Church of Scientology for $5 million. The church had then painted it blue and made it their international headquarters.

As Linberg, then the head of the FBI's Los Angeles Field Office, later wrote in his official report of the incident (it was eventually made available to the public along with thousands of related documents via the Freedom of Information Act), "a large German Shepherd dog was noticed roaming free inside the fenced area." Linberg ordered his agents to cut the lock and move in. The dog left them alone.

Agents entered the building and fanned out to begin their search. Many of the offices they needed to enter were locked, and church officials either couldn't or wouldn't give agents the keys. Linberg, a seasoned investigator who had worked the Patty Hearst kidnapping case a few years before, gave church members an hour to open the doors; they assured him the keys were on their way. In the meantime, a group of 40 Scientologists showed up with push brooms and "milled among the Agents and started to sweep the area."

"SAC Linberg immediately advised [name redacted] and [name redacted] that the continued operation of the sweepers would interfere with the search, and SAC Linberg ordered all but one broom sweeper to clear the area," reads the report. A few minutes later, "numerous individuals carrying clipboards, cameras, and tape recorders" appeared. They identified themselves as church "affiliates" and said they were on hand to "observe and record the Agents' conduct."

At 7:30am, the keys still hadn't arrived. Linberg was told that the church's "legal advisor" was en route, and that he'd have the keys there in 10 minutes. At 8am, Linberg instructed his men to open the locked doors and cabinets by force. No one identifying themselves as a legal advisor ever showed up with keys.

While all this was going on, the FBI was executing simultaneous search warrants at two other church locations: Scientology's so-called Celebrity Centre two miles away, and the church's offices near Dupont Circle in Washington, DC. At both locations, church members followed agents with cameras, clipboards, and tape recorders. According to FBI reports, church members at the Celebrity Centre shut off the water so agents couldn't go to the bathroom.

I'll close with J. Augustine's final paragraph:

"The church now has to deal with a piece of art they don't know how to respond to," Augustine said. "So they're spending a lot of tax-exempt dollars to slander, defame, and attack. Tell me, how is that for the public benefit?"

https://news.vice.com/article/scientology-going-clear-and-the-churchs-long-war-with-the-irs

No, maybe I'll close with a quick and dirty shoop that the article inspired me to compose:

Crime Scene Do Not Cross-small.jpg
    • Like Like x 10
  3. Ogsonofgroo Member

Holy hell that is frikken excellent! Fantastic posting up thar ^^^ *Cheers!*

:)
    • Like Like x 5
  4. BigBeard Member

Saw a tweet during "Going Clear" that pretty much summed it up.

"Scariest horror movie I ever saw. Only it's real.#GoingClear"

BigBeard
    • Like Like x 7
  5. Incredulicide Member

Another one a TO commenter pointed to:
    @stateofthehand
    Right now there are members of the mafia watching #GoingClear and saying, "Jesus, these people are brutal."
    3/29/15, 9:55 PM
    • Like Like x 8
  6. The Wrong Guy Member

16 Shocking Allegations In Scientology Documentary 'Going Clear'

By Erin Whitney, The Huffington Post

Here are the headings in the article:

1. L. Ron Hubbard's Scientology creation story

2. Hubbard spent time in a black magic cult

3. Members were allegedly thrown overboard as punishment

4. Hubbard told his second wife he murdered their daughter

5. There was a Scientology "prison camp"

6. The FBI raid on the Church was the biggest in history at the time

7. The Church stole government documents

8. The Church apparently has a blackmail folder on John Travolta

9. The Church investigated the IRS

10. Tom Cruise and the Church allegedly wire-tapped Nicole Kidman's phone

11. Cruise may have had employees pimp his cars for 40 cents an hour

12. The Church supposedly found Cruise a new girlfriend

13. Paul Haggis left because of the the Church's homophobic stance

14. Scientology's book value is about $1.5 billion

15. Sea Org members were allegedly tortured to the sounds of Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody"

16. If members leave the Church their friends & family are forced to "disconnect"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/29/scientology-doc-going-clear_n_6939318.html
    • Like Like x 5
  7. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 3
  8. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 5
  9. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 6
  10. The Wrong Guy Member

Church of Scientology Slams HBO’s ‘Going Clear’ Documentary: ‘Desperate, Ludicrous, Made-Up’

'Going Clear' Director Says Ex-Scientologists Received Physical Threats for Appearing in HBO Documentary

By Matt Donnelly, The Wrap

http://www.thewrap.com/going-clear-...cal-threats-for-appearing-in-hbo-documentary/

How a filmmaker finally infiltrated Scientology for HBO's explosive documentary airing tonight

By Jason Guerrasio, Business Insider

http://www.businessinsider.in/How-a...ntary-airing-tonight/articleshow/46740717.cms
    • Like Like x 4
  11. Entertainment Tonight serves as a mouthpiece for Scientology on Going Clear.

The article: 8 Burning Questions We Have after Watching HBO’s Scientology Doc, ‘Going Clear’
    http://www.etonline.com/news/161844_9_burning_questions_hbo_doc_going_clear/

Starting with the most important point first:

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

5. Did Nicole Kidman know of the wiretap allegations on her phone when she was married to Cruise? One former Church member -- who's largely been discredited by the Church -- claimed they wiretapped Kidman’s phone in order to undermine her relationship with then-husband, Cruise. (She did not participate in the documentary.)

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

The word "discredited" links to Scientology's Freedom magazine as follows:
    Code:
    http://www.freedommag.org/hbo/videos/exterminating-gibneys-propaganda.html?source=gaw&gclid=CKiSq-_DnsQCFReTfgodxU4AIw
    Seriously? Entertainment Tonight comes to the conclusion that Mark "Marty" Rathbun has been "largely discredited" based solely on the word of Scientology Freedom magazine, and without first communicating with him? Without doing any investigation? That is what passes for journalism at Entertainment Tonight?

Next:

6. Does anyone remember that Cruise allegedly dated Homeland actress Nazanin Boniadi? In the documentary, it’s purported that the actress was selected and groomed to be Cruise’s next girlfriend. However, their relationship reportedly lasted three months.

Google and Getty Image searches show no results of them to together, outside of Vanity Fair’s expose on Cruise’s relationships. The article also reports that Scientology representatives deny any sort of search or audition took place.

Is Entertainment Tonight seriously questioning whether Tom Cruise and Nazanin Boniadi dated based on the fact they don't turn up together in image searches? Did it ever occur to Entertainment Tonight that they may have dated privately? Did it ever occur to Entertainment Tonight to, oh, I don't know, do journalism and ask Nazanin Boniadi if she dated Tom Cruise? Ask Tom Cruise if he dated Nazanin Boniadi? Ask Marueen Orth about her Vanity Fair story? Is Entertainment Tonight seriously suggesting that Marueen Orth and Vanity Fair got it wrong to the extent that Nazanin Boniadi never even dated Tom Cruise? And doing so without doing any actual reporting? Without bothering to ask anyone? Based on image searches?

Also, while "[t]he article also reports that Scientology representatives deny any sort of search or audition took place": (1) not even the Church of Scientology denies that they dated and that a relationship "took place"; and (2) Entertainment Tonight is again taking the word of the Church of Scientology without investigation or doing anything remotely related to the practice of journalism.

Next:

4. Why didn’t Gibney reach out to Katie Holmes for comment? Cruise’s third wife started studying Scientology soon after she started dating the actor, but no mention of her was made throughout the entire film nor was she listed among those the production reached out to. a

Um, ask Katie Holmes about what? About the wire-tapping of Nicole Kidman a decade before? Out of the two hour Going Clear documentary, that is one of Entertainment Tonight's eight "burning questions?"
    • Like Like x 4
  12. Anonymous Member

One might be inclined to suppose that the research staff at ET could use a search engine and run "Anthony Pellicano + Tom Cruise + Nicole Kidman."

Evidently, said staff has no idea how to use an Internet. Pathetic "news" is pathetic.
    • Like Like x 4
  13. The Wrong Guy Member

#GoingClear Goes Viral On Twitter As Folks Live-Tweet Reactions To HBO Scientology Documentary [Video]

According to Twitter, there’s a reason why the #GoingClear hashtag is going completely viral as of this writing on Sunday evening, with HBO’s premiere of their documentary exposing the ugly side of Scientology. As reported by the Inquisitr, Going Clear has been gaining buzz, in large part due to shocking claims about the abuses suffered by people within the Scientology faith — some of them children — and the charges that well-known celebrity names were allegedly aware of the abuse.

Lawrence Wright wrote the book that the movie is based upon, titled Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief. Within the tome, the ugly side of the often mysterious and secretive Church of Scientology is exposed. After the book gained popularity and the documentary makers — Alex Gibney and Lawrence Wright — started gaining traction and attention online for Going Clear, Scientology lawyers took out New York Times and Los Angeles Times ads saying that Going Clear was full of lies, as reported by CBS News.

Twitter, however, is experiencing a whole different aspect of the film, as users tweet their reactions to #GoingClear. Many of tweets regarding the strange religion are quite humorous in nature.

Continued here:
    http://www.inquisitr.com/1966679/go...actions-to-hbo-scientology-documentary-video/
    • Like Like x 3
  14. The Wrong Guy Member

John Travolta's Friend Spanky Speaks Out In 'Going Clear' & Sheds Light On The Church & Travolta Being "Trapped"

By Kelsea Stahler, Bustle

It’s an understatement to say that HBO’s Scientology documentary Going Clearis shocking. The film is packed to the brim with interviews with former Scientologists and the journalists who’ve investigated the church, videos from Scientology-sponsored events, news reels, and documents from the church. It’s almost too much information to handle, but from the avalanche of testimonials and information, come nuggets of truly intriguing claims. One that stands out dramatically is that of John Travolta’s former friend & former Scientologist Spanky, aka Sylvia Yvonne Theresa Piñón.

Spanky was also a source for the book HBO’s documentary was based on and a source for The Underground Bunker, a blog dedicated to unearthing dirt on the church; she has claimed that the church “trapped” her former friend after she left. The documentary gives extra credence to Piñón’s testimonials by bringing this woman and her still seething anger and sadness into our homes. It would be easy to forget her as a witness on paper, but watching this woman cry about the injustices she claims she was victim to is something that will never leave my mind.

Continued here:
    http://www.bustle.com/articles/7275...-out-in-going-clear-sheds-light-on-the-church
    • Like Like x 4
  15. This looks really bad for Tom Cruise. I wonder if he will be forced to say something?

It might be a little while before he or Travolta do another project for Warner Brothers.
  16. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  17. Kilia Member

Same here, eddie...also too, I don't have a TV per se anymore.
  18. The Wrong Guy Member

My guess is that Cruise was "handled" and reminded of the cult's policy of ignoring "entheta".

I'd be surprised if he watched Going Clear, although his attorneys likely had to.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Dot Member

Slavery. It looks different than what people expect because it's not 1830 anymore. It still exists in many forms. This is one.

Wrong Guy -- TY for posting these articles!
    • Like Like x 4
  20. Kilia Member

I 'Retweeted' him. :)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 9
  21. BlooAnon Member

Don't have HBO. Waiting for it to appear on the Internets, but posting in epic thread. Thanks for all the article links, guys; it's going to take me a while to read all of these!
    • Like Like x 5
  22. Kilia Member

Likewise, Bloo. Hope to be able to see movie soon.
    • Like Like x 1
  23. The Wrong Guy Member

Church of Scientology Denies Claim It Threatened Ex-Members Who Appear in HBO Doc

A Scientology spokesperson says director Alex Gibney's allegation that the church threatened former members for their participation in 'Going Clear' is 'absolutely false and rejected.'

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00081659.html
    • Like Like x 1
  24. The Wrong Guy Member

L. Ron Hubbard kidnapped daughter, told his wife he had killed her | Starcasm

In the HBO documentary Going Clear that aired Sunday night it was revealed that according to Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard’s second wife Sara Northrup, the leader kidnapped their daughter and then told his wife he had killed her.

http://starcasm.net/archives/311106
    • Like Like x 3
  25. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 4
  26. pedrofcuk Member

As someone who sadly, has extensive knowledge of this scary, terrifying cult I have to say that I didn't spot one lie. Good job guys ;)
    • Like Like x 4
  27. The Wrong Guy Member

Several hours ago the #Scientology hashtag became popular enough to be listed under Twitter's United States Trends.

https://twitter.com/search?f=realtime&q=Scientology

Now the #GoingClear hashtag is also on the list.

https://twitter.com/search?f=realtime&q=GoingClear
    • Like Like x 3
  28. Incredulicide Member

29. Random guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  30. anon8109 Member

Either sloppy lazy work, or the producers were coerced.
  31. Random guy Member

Could use some comment love
    • Like Like x 1
  32. Anonymous Member

The comment thread has some well aimed hits but it's being invaded by 17 year old moonbats from facebook.

Also, some "musician" posted links to his cult song. I found the lyrics posted on the Youtube link:

You can download the song at https://kickintheeye.bandcamp.com/tra...

Going Clear by Kick in the Eye
    Animation by Irene Pu

Look at me, I'm OT3
    I'm at Thetan operating at Level 3
    L.R.H. is in whom I believe
    I'm into Dianetic Scientology

No psychologist no psychiatry, organized religion is not for me
    What I need is Auditing

Silver in hills. silver in hills
    So many past lives digging silver in hills

Adversity conquered with philosophy
    And electro-pyschometer technology
    The Bridge to Total Freedom, immortality
    I found in Dianetic Scientology

I'm getting near to Going Clear

L. Ron Hubbard appeared in a dream and asked Donnie to write a song for him. We think this is an objective window into Dianetic Scientology. Please share.

Creepy web site is creepy! :confused:
    • Like Like x 3
  33. Random guy Member

So much for all the cults protestations about how disconnection is voluntary.
    • Like Like x 2
  34. TrevAnon Member

Just watched it.

Wow. :)
    • Like Like x 2