Customize

Alex Gibney: Going Clear

Discussion in 'Media' started by DeathHamster, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Mike Rinder: Going Clear Fallout

http://www.mikerindersblog.org/going-clear-fallout/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

I believe there are two things Miscavige will be concerned about following the deluge on Sunday night that was the leading edge of a category 4 shitstorm making a direct hit on his gilded beachhouse.

His first concern: shore up Tom Cruise.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

His second concern is for the big donors.

• Like Like x 3
  2. RightOn Member

Oh yes. He is COS competions too
  3. Yes. Leah brought him in.
  4. The Wrong Guy Member

HBO Scientology Doc 'Going Clear' Converts 1.7 Million Viewers, Best in 9 Years

By Tony Maglio, The Wrap

Sunday premiere is pay-TV channel’s most-watched documentary in nearly 10 years

HBO Scientology documentary “Going Clear: Scientology and The Prison of Belief” attracted nearly 1.7 million viewers on Sunday, according to TV By the Numbers. It had a 0.7 rating in the key 18-49 demographic.

The viewer total (more specifically 1.652 million) makes the film the pay-TV network’s most-watched doc premiere since Spike Lee‘s two-part 2006 Hurricane Katrina offering, “When the Levees Broke” (1.75 million viewers).

“Going Clear” also topped the individual airing’s Live + Same Day audience total of recent Robert Durst HBO doc “The Jinx.”

http://www.thewrap.com/hbo-scientology-doc-going-clear-converts-1-7-million-viewers/

http://news.yahoo.com/hbo-scientology-doc-going-clear-converts-1-7-191348621.html

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/scientology-expos-going-clear-is-785556
    • Like Like x 6
  5. RightOn Member

BWA HA HA more viewers than Scientologits in the world
    SUCK ON IT POODLE!
    • Like Like x 7
  6. Mr. Magoo Member

I do not love Rinder but I love his response to Bodhi Elfman. It is a much more accurate analogy.
    bodhi elfman is a sleeze.png
    • Like Like x 8
    • Like Like x 5
  7. The Wrong Guy Member

Scientology Doc 'Going Clear' Could Cause Problems For Tom Cruise At Box Office For 'Mission: Impossible 5'

By Alex Garofalo, International Business Times

Excerpt:

For years, Tom Cruise has been a public face of Scientology, championing the religion with his time and money and defending it in interviews. At the same time, he has shied away from addressing alleged abuses of the church – especially those surrounding his friend and church president David Miscavige – and speaking about his experience within the Scientology community. University of Southern California professor and celebrity brand expert Jeetendr Sehdev says that is a big problem.

“People question why an ambassador [of Scientology] comes forward in some circumstances, but not in others,” Sehdev told International Business Times Tuesday. “What is necessary is for Tom Cruise to provide context for his involvement.”

Indeed, the public seems to fault Cruise, not for his beliefs, but for not explaining his involvement and not acknowledging, let alone attempting to stop, the abuses that seem to plague certain areas of the church’s administration.

<snipped>

However, that acknowledgment may never come. The Church of Scientology is known for its veil of secrecy. “Going Clear” details alleged blackmail files the church maintains for certain figures -- including John Travolta -- to prevent them from speaking out against it. That's bad news for Cruise.

“[The Church of Scientology] is seen as a highly secretive institution and [the public] does not respond well to celebrities being highly secretive,” said Sehdev.

Sehdev explained that before social media Cruise would have “had control over the conversation” about his involvement with Scientology. However, now the conversation is happening with or without him and the actor’s attempts to brush controversy under the rug largely have failed to silence critics.

“It will absolutely have a box-office effect and an effect on his appeal,” said Sehdev.

Cruise, once arguably Hollywood’s most bankable name, stars in “Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation,” set to premiere on July 31. The previous “Mission: Impossible” movie, 2011’s “Ghost Protocol,” was a box-office success, but the star has not had a major hit since -- striking out with “Edge of Tomorrow,” “Oblivion,” “Jack Reacher” and “Rock of Ages,” despite decent reviews.

If “Rogue Nation” fails to perform, the pressure will be on Cruise to do something to halt the decline in his marketability. In the end, he may have to choose between Scientology and his career.

http://www.ibtimes.com/scientology-...roblems-tom-cruise-box-office-mission-1865306
    • Like Like x 4
  8. The Wrong Guy Member

21 insane Scientology stories that HBO's 'Going Clear' left out

By Lindsey Weber, Business Insider

The revelations in last night's premiere of Alex Gibney's doc Going Clear left plenty of mouths agape — from abuse allegations at Sea Org to charges that John Travolta is being blackmailed — but 119 minutes wasn't nearly long enough to cover every Scientology scandal.

What about Katie Holmes? And David Miscavige's "missing" wife, Shelly? We've rounded a few of the craziest stories that didn't make the final cut of Going Clear. (Did someone say "sequel"?)

http://www.businessinsider.com/scientology-stories-not-in-going-clear-2015-3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. The "former executive director" interviewed and quoted in the article is Mike Rinder.

Daily Mail - EXCLUSIVE: Inside the town Scientology built - Clearwater, Florida, where Tom Cruise, John Travolta and Kirstie Alley rule with palatial estates, Sea Org members live six to a room and pay $100,000 to learn super human powers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...oom-pay-100-000-learn-super-human-powers.html

The beautiful resort town of Clearwater has millions of tourists every single year - but few ever set foot in the downtown area

Exclusive photos show the extent of Scientology's grip on the city

The church owns 67 buildings over ten square miles, including motels, training centers, offices for 'Special Affairs' and 'religious retreats' worth more than half a billion dollars
    S
    ea Org members earn $50 a week and work seven days starting at 7am and ending at midnight

They pay for the right to run around a pole in circles for hours until they realize the error of their ways, says one former member

'You never get to see your family. That's how it was for me. I was there from 1973 to 2007,' former executive director tells Daily Mail Online

10. The Wrong Guy Member

Paulette Cooper on HBO Scientology film: Told you so

By Mark Shanahan, The Boston Globe

Going Clear,” the new documentary about the Church of Scientology that premiered over the weekend on HBO, includes several former members who call the religion a cult — and a dangerous one at that. What it doesn’t include is the story of Paulette Cooper, who was one of Scientology’s first and fiercest critics, having written “The Scandal of Scientology” in 1971, long before much of America knew anything about L. Ron Hubbard’s church.

Cooper lives in Florida these days, but back in 1981 she sued the Church of Scientology in federal court in Boston for $25 million. She alleged that Boston-based Scientologists had broken into the Belmont office of a psychiatrist she’d seen while a student at Brandeis, and stole her file. It was part of a long and devious pattern of harrassment by the church, she claimed. The suit was settled in 1985.

“I was one of the only people in America warning people, so they came after me,” Cooper, 72, told us Tuesday. “They sued me 19 times and did all sorts of other things to get me to stop speaking out.”

What does she think of director Alex Gibney’s documentary? “It’s a lot of people saying things I’ve been screaming since 1971. I don’t want to be negative about it, but there’s nothing in it I didn’t know,” she said. “I do have friends who thought I was the slightly crazy one but they watched the movie and I’m getting e-mails saying, ‘Now I see what you were talking about.’”

Source:
    http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyl...lm-told-you/pjPNfy8qPz9C0TXQuYnQEO/story.html
    • Like Like x 7
  11. The Wrong Guy Member

Going Clear - Main Titles

Artjail shot and designed the Main title sequence for Alex Gibney's ground breaking Documentary "Going Clear".

Director: Alex Gibney
    Editor: Andy Grieve
    Creative Director / Senior Visual Effects Supervisor: Steve Mottershead
    Creative Director: Tamir Sapir
    Main Titles DP: Lee Towndrow
    Designer / Animator: Chris Monaco
    Motion Designer: Jade Milan
    Executive Producer: Arthur Portnoy
    Producer: Lisa Starace
    Flame Artist: Ben Vaccaro
    VFX Assistant: Delano Samuels

vimeo.com/123759450

Going Clear - Xenu Sequence

Artjail collaborated with Academy Award winning Director Alex Gibney on his Ground breaking documentary "Going Clear". We completed 80 shots / sequences including the Main Titles and the Xenu sequence. Alex wanted to keep the look on par with America during the 1950's but with a Sci-Fi influence helping to create a tone of that is a little off center from the world we know. We utilized Adobe After Effects to augment stock footage while keeping the look nostalgic and filmic.

Director: Alex Gibney
    Editor: Andy Grieve
    Creative Director / Senior Visual Effects Supervisor: Steve Mottershead
    Creative Director: Tamir Sapir
    Designer / Animator: Chris Monaco
    Executive Producer: Arthur Portnoy
    Producer: Lisa Starace

vimeo.com/123744845
    • Like Like x 5
  12. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 3
  13. The Wrong Guy Member

Activists Are Clear on One Thing: Scientology Better Start Paying Taxes

By Jennifer Swann, TakePart

HBO's revealing documentary Going Clear is reigniting a storm of criticism aimed at the Church of Scientology and driving a new petition seeking to have its tax-exempt status as a religious institution revoked.

The whitehouse.gov petition was launched independently about a week ahead of Going Clear's premiere on Sunday night. It has since gained traction on social media, with the documentary's filmmaker, Alex Gibney, tweeting the link on Tuesday and stars such as Mia Farrow calling for an end to the "thuggish, dangerous, cruel cult."

The petition asks the IRS to revoke the Church of Scientology's tax-exempt status and has garnered more than 6,000 signatures to date. It reads in part: "The money is used to harass former members, coerce abortions, to secure their Int. base so people can't escape, child abuse, forcing members to disconnect from family who aren't Scientology friendly, and to litigate to death anyone who opposes them."

Scientology's three organizations claimed a $1.5 billion combined value, according to a 2011 tax filing exposed in the movie and reported in The Wrap. The Church of Scientology did not immediately return TakePart's request for comment.

The allegations made in the petition have been widely circulating for years but were presented in thorough detail in Going Clear, which interviewed several former high-ranking members of the church, including screenwriter and director Paul Haggis, publicist Sylvia "Spanky" Taylor, and Tom De Vocht, a former aid to current Scientology leader David Miscavige.

A petition has emerged calling for the revocation of Scientology's tax-exempt status.
    https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/revoke-scientologys-tax-exempt-status
    — Alex Gibney (@alexgibneyfilm) March 31, 2015

Continued here:
    http://www.takepart.com/article/2015/03/31/going-clear-petition
    • Like Like x 6
  14. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  15. Nora Crest has posted a powerful response to Going Clear.

Raging Buddha: How I left the #Scientology RPF and why #GoingClear is the most important film of 2015

http://ragingbuddha.net/television/...oingclear-is-the-most-important-film-of-2015/

Today while reading through all the responses to Alex Gibney’s brilliant Documentary, Going Clear, I came across a review of the film by an Independent Scientologist. She was insulted by the film. She was upset that none of the wins and gains were shown. That it was a rehash of “old” data about L Ron Hubbard and that it was trying to smear him and make Scientologists feel bad or dumb for being believers. I should have just kept scrolling. But I didn’t. I pleaded with her to really look at the real data about LRH. About how he had lied about everything, including the most important thing of all, being handicapped and curing himself using his “tech”. Her response was typical. Should she “toss out” her wins because LRH did some things we all regret when we are young (I NEVER kidnapped my kids, told my husband I chopped them up and then called back saying they were alive. Oh the things young people do!)

So I decided to tell her what the tech did to me. I am putting it here on my blog for the world to see. THIS is what Scientology does. Jason Beghe touches on it for a brief moment in Going Clear as does Hana Whitfield. But here it is, the raw truth.

I have never asked anyone to “toss aside” their wins. Feeling better about yourself or doing better is never a bad thing. What the film points out and what is hard for people to do once they are swimming in the deep end of Scientology, is to look objectively at the tech. I was a member of the original GAT team for Celebrity Centre. COB talked about ME at the original event. I have 2 RTC passes on TR’s 0-4 and 6-9 I have an RTC metering pass. I trained 1000’s of people. I was the #1 Word Clearer on the planet. I still hold the record for number of words cleared in a single week. My department was declared in a state of Power for 6 months in a row by ED Int. I was the word clearer to celebrities and their families. I was a true believer. I was in the honor guard and I marched on stage at the New Years 2000 event.

I spent 8 years in the Sea Org and 3 on the RPF because I had the audacity, at age 23, to fall in love with my roommate and kiss her. For that I was tossed out, despite my STELLAR unbeaten production record. Despite all the people I trained, marriages I saved, people I personally audited and got into Scientology. I kissed a girl. And because LRH in all his wisdom and “research” determined that being homosexual was perverted, degraded, and evil I was sent to the RPF. For three years I received 100’s of hours of FPRD. Driving me further and further into my psyche of self doubt and loathing. Not making me better, not “Curing” me of my “Evil” sexual purposes, just making me feel worse and worse and worse about myself. Becoming more and more convinced every day that I really was evil and perverted. That I would never and was not capable of change. And then I wanted to leave because I was no good and I didn’t deserve to be a part of the Sea Org any more. I was so unworthy I BEGGED to leave.

• Like Like x 6
  16. RightOn Member

inb4 Tom Cruise sues HBO for loss of revenue for Mission Impossible Flop 5
    Ohhhhh Bert! Tom has a job for you:D
    • Like Like x 1
  17. http://ragingbuddha.net/television/...the-most-important-film-of-2015/#comment-5650

* * * * BEGIN QUOTATION * * * * *

Elli Fordyce says:

March 31, 2015 at 5:03 pm

In 1967 when the ethics formulas started being revised, published, talked about and used at MMO, we had a little casper milktoast kinda guy who’d been in quite a while but was not very confident on any dynamic. He’d been doing part-time finance duty and was given a condition of Liability, not sure why but I think some errors in the books. He reinterpreted that in his head as Treason and went spiralling down, took a bottle of aspirin (with a weak heart and not very healthy) and then came and confessed to the 2 women running the tiny org (6 staff, mainly part-time). They assigned my ex to take him to the john to eat mustard and throw up while running a process like “you put that body in that chair,” or something like that. That went on for hours, Finally the guy died and the 2 execs gave us all our stories, called the police and covered it up. Never forgot that.

* * * * * END QUOTATION * * * * *
    • Like Like x 5
  18. anon8109 Member

Anyone else would have called for an ambulance.

Scientology is associated with many suspicious deaths.
    • Like Like x 3
  19. laughingsock Member

Tune in to fox news now....
  20. laughingsock Member

Megan kelly is on it IRS questions and shit......
  21. laughingsock Member

Faux news naow?
  22. REVOKE SCIENTOLOGY INC.'S TAX EXEMPTION!
  23. The Wrong Guy Member

Screen-Shot-2015-03-31-at-5.05.26-PM.png

Scientologists' tweet campaign against 'Going Clear' movie was laughably clumsy

By Mark Sullivan, VentureBeat

It’s well known that the Church of Scientology takes a “fight fire with fire” approach to people who criticize it, and in the face of the church’s damning portrayal in Alex Gibney’s documentary “Going Clear,” it took to Twitter to mount its defense. With pretty poor results.

The tweets come from an account called @FreedomEthics, which the church set up just for the campaign (its regular account is @Scientology). The tweets began before the movie premiered March 29, and are still flowing.

Continued here:
    http://venturebeat.com/2015/03/31/s...ainst-going-clear-movie-was-laughably-clumsy/
    • Like Like x 4
    • Like Like x 7
    • Like Like x 4
  24. Kilia Member

Excuse me???
  25. Kilia Member

• Like Like x 2
  26. jensting Member

That's a punishable offence in enlightened jurisdictions (non-assistance to person in danger).
  27. Sara Northrup Member

what I found most offensive was how they trotted out that same tired old data about LRH's second wife
    when we all know he never had one
    Sara Northrup
    This message by Sara Northrup has been hidden due to negative ratings. (Show message)
    • Dislike Dislike x 4
  28. RightOn Member

at least they ACKNOWLEDGED his second wife.
    Unlike Hubbard who had her removed from photos and when interviewed lied that he was married a second time.
    Just like they did in the film where they removed Nibs. In one film Nibs is seen bringing in books to Hubbard on stage, but the next copy of the film, poof! Nibs is gone!
    • Like Like x 1
  29. laughingsock Member

• Like Like x 1
  30. You were offended?

Think how offended his second wife was when he physically abused her.

Think how offended his second wife was when her husband wrote letters to the FBI claiming she was a communist.

Think how offended his second wife was when her husband absconded to Havana Cuba with their infant daughter, holding the baby as ransom.

Think how offended his second wife was when Hubbard phoned her and told her he had killed and dismembered their daughter.

And it goes on. Hubbard was obsessed with his second wife, not just in the 1950s, but in the 1960s, and onward.

The stalking of Sara and her family by Hubbard's agents is still an untold story.

Prepare to offended some more.
  31. RightOn Member

32. Bodi_Elfman_Tweet.jpg
    What's that putrid smell?
    Could it be Bodhi Odor?

Let's check in with the highly trained LRH luminary, the noted Scientology 'Reverend' John Carmichael..........

Twat's puthy got to do with it. (Bohdi's the Twat.)
    Thanks for clearing this up, Reverend.
    • Like Like x 2
  33. Seriously, there were people who were offended, and there were people - not Scientologists - who are so politically correct on the topic of never criticizing another's religion, and also are so incredibly stupid as to think of Scientology, not as a business, or as a destructive cult, but as a actual religious institution, that they were offended by most of the content of 'Going Clear'.

They weren't offended by the abuses and insanity of Scientology, but by the fact that these abuses and insanity would be exposed before a wide audience.

They think that's "religious bigotry."
  34. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 3
  35. RightOn Member

LEAVE BHODI alone! :D
    He is doing a fine job of showing his ignorance :eek:
    • Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 3
  36. The Wrong Guy Member

FMRI Study Finds That Mindfulness More Effective Than Scientology At Clearing Thetans

By Ariana Anderson, Science 2.0

BeSlyfMRI Brain Training program, created by Dr. B. Raneded out of California State University, Las Flores, has successfully demonstrated that mindfulness can clear thetans better than Scientology. Not only can fMRI answer what is really going on in a man's head, it can also verify that men can and do think of absolutely nothing when hearing their wives speak, validating suspicions held by women everywhere.

Fifteen male healthy controls were scanned using fMRI while watching a video of Scientologist supermodel Agyness Deyn postulating how Hillary Clinton read and deleted 30,000 emails within a single week. After training men in the BeSlyfMRI Mindfulness technique, this experiment was repeated with a video of their wives recounting their theories of the missing Clinton e-mails.

As detailed within Figure 1, within the Deyn stimuli men showed significant activation in the visual cortex, whereas no activation was found while watching their spouse, anywhere (p < 0.005). No differences were found in the ability to recall the missing email theories, since no men could recall any details whatsoever in either condition (p < 0.05).

beslyfmri_brain_training_program.jpg

(Top) Brain activation (thetans/cc) when viewing wife speak of Hillary Clinton.
    (Bottom) Brain activation (thetans/cc) when viewing Agyness Deyn speak of Hillary Clinton.

Dr. Ohmet Mez of the Dr. Mez show enthusiastically declared, "this is the greatest scientific discovery since green-snail extract curing cancer in gluten-free, unvaccinated individuals."

Dr. B. Raneded intends to extend his services to all who believe that aliens once fell inside volcanoes. "Compared to the Scientology OT9 course to go clear costing $365,000, we anticipate that the $750 per hour for scan time may be quite the bargain. In an era when NIH funding levels are at an all-time low, this may be a future direction for Indie Scientists everywhere."

Continued here:
    http://www.science20.com/mad_data_s...e_than_scientology_at_clearing_thetans-154189
    • Like Like x 2