Customize

Alex Gibney: Going Clear

Discussion in 'Media' started by DeathHamster, Nov 24, 2014.

1. RightOn Member

• Like Like x 1
  2. The Wrong Guy Member

Tony Ortega on Scientology being called a cult

Published by Tony Ortega on April 1, 2015

Tony Ortega's website: http://tonyortega.org
    • Like Like x 3
  3. The Wrong Guy Member

This Is How The Church Of Scientology Could Have Responded To 'Going Clear'

While the Church of Scientology forcefully denied the claims made in the HBO-aired documentary "Going Clear," comedian Livia Scott offered a somewhat friendlier response.

"We’re just like you," Scott says in the Internet Action Force bit, above. "And we know where you live.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/01/scientology-going-clear_n_6984444.html

The Church Of Scientology Responds To Going Clear

Published by Internet Action Force on March 31, 2015

They're just like you.
    • Like Like x 6
  4. It looks like Karin Pouw has finally appeared in a video:

Edit: Bah! Too slow.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Maybe the petition thing at whitehouse.gov might actually do something this time. Maybe this time the government might really do their job and have a real investigation into how scientology got the exemption in the first place. Maybe the US government will look into the abuse accusations that have been leveled against the "church" at long last and stop being such sniveling cowards.

snl_03_jpg_594x334_crop_upscale_q85.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  6. BigBeard Member

I think the petition will get people thinking they did something by signing it, but writing Congress critters will actually be more effective. Someone started one of those petitions on Cof$'s tax status a while back, and the response was basically, "Take it up with the IRS, not us."

One major change, among many that are needed, is to get Congress to change the rules for 501(c)3 tax exempt entities have to open their books, not just their Form 990's, to public inspection.

BigBeard
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Malory Member

http://thehollywoodsigh.com/scientologys-shelly-miscavige-missing-from-new-documentary/

• Like Like x 2
  8. the anti Member

I remember they said the same thing after anonymous came into the picture in 2008. if true, why didn't they send us something like gift baskets to thank us instead of making vicious attacks on everyone?
    • Like Like x 2
  9. TrevAnon Member

I guess caek would have been OK too! :)
    • Like Like x 2
  10. the anti Member

I just discovered i was blocked by Bodhi on twitter. I don't think I've ever interacted with him before.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. TrevAnon Member

I envy you. :p
    • Like Like x 2
  12. I wonder if the CoS is encouraging the use of some kind of Twitter block bot. It would be consistent with their previous behaviour (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scieno_Sitter).

I gather it is easy to make bots that automatically block people based on who they follow (e.g. Tony O).
  13. The Wrong Guy Member

Converting To Scientology Is Just Like Going Gluten Free

Published by Internet Action Force on April 1, 2015

When you're a celebrity, you have to. Duh. Let the Reformed Whores explain it to you.
    • Like Like x 4
  14. The Wrong Guy Member

#GoingClear: Alex Gibney Clears the World of Scientology

Published by Chris Shelton on April 1, 2015

The HBO Documentary called Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief has impacted the world like few other documentaries and is shaking up the Church of Scientology by exposing its abuses to everyone. Here are some of my thoughts on this and what actions we can all take to get its tax-exempt status reviewed and hopefully revoked for good.

White House Petition to revoke Scientology's tax exempt status:
    https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/revoke-scientologys-tax-exempt-status

IRS Form 13909: Tax-Exempt Organization Complaint:
    http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f13909.pdf

For more articles and videos about Scientology and critical thinking, see my blog at
    http://mncriticalthinking.com
    • Like Like x 7
  15. The Wrong Guy Member

Going Clear - CG Sci-Fi Magazine Sequence

One of the many sequences Artjail worked on for Alex Gibney's groundbreaking Documentary "Going Clear".

Artjail created full CG magazines for the Sci-Fi Magazine sequence.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. The Wrong Guy Member

'Going Clear' is one of the creepiest movies of the year

By Ian Casselberry, The AP Party

Last five paragraphs:

One of the more compelling, yet undeniably hilarious, scenes in the film depicts Cruise being awarded the IAS (International Association of Scientologists) Medal of Valor, which appears to be a completely bullshit honor created to thank him for being such a great spokesperson for Scientology (and presumably a very big donor). The ceremony takes place on a ridiculously adorned stage that would embarrass just about any set designer. The video congratulating Cruise has trumped-up production values inferior to what you see on YouTube these days.

Yet Cruise seems so sincere in his gratitude and emotion when he accepts the award from Miscavige that it’s virtually impossible not to laugh. Wow, he is really, really buying into this. And of course, he is. That’s really the whole point, isn’t it? Cruise is getting anything and everything he could possibly want out of Scientology. No wonder it’s the religion he’s chosen. Consequently, Miscavige treats Cruise like a king because he’s unwavering in his faith, exceedingly loyal and a staunch defender.

From there, the film takes a darker turn as you see the other side of Scientology, what happens when you leave the church. Or even worse, what steps the church takes against those who speak out against its practices. Internet smear campaigns, dividing family members against one another, harassing visits to people’s houses and invasive surveillance campaigns. It’s ugly, ugly stuff.

If there’s a bright side, it’s that people like Haggis, Rathbun and Rinder legitimately seem happier now. Video of Rinder from 2007 is especially jarring compared to the man you see now, because his cheeks and eyes are sunken. His role with Scientology and having to defend the church was obviously taking a toll on him. Those who feel duped now, well, see things more clearly. But getting out of Scientology prison did come with a price. Almost all of the defectors have become estranged from loved ones still with the church, who were encouraged to separate from “suppressives.”

Some might be disappointed that Gibney doesn’t provide as many answers as you might expect. Part of that is because there were only so many people willing to talk to the filmmaker. And if you’ve read about Scientology online or in magazines, there’s not much here that you likely haven’t already learned. (Though I’m guessing the physical tortures, prison camps and humiliating practices like forcing those who have strayed to clean bathrooms with toothbrushes will be new to you.) But Going Clear is illuminating. This stuff takes place in the world we live in. That’s what makes the film so scary.

http://bloguin.com/theapparty/2015-...-one-of-the-creepiest-movies-of-the-year.html
    • Like Like x 6
  17. Malory Member

Me too and just now is the first time I've even tried to look at his Twitter.
  18. The Wrong Guy Member

Mara Wilson ‏@MaraWritesStuff 2 hours ago
    Watched Going Clear. It bothers me when people make light of Scientology. It's not what they believe, it's what they DO.

Jay Rosen @jayrosen_nyu · 1 hour ago
    I watched it last night. 'Going Clear' is great documentary journalism, meaning: delivers an effect no book or series of articles can have.

1/2
    I told the filmmaker, Alex Gibney, that as great as 'Going Clear' was, I still could not fathom why people were so drawn to Scientology.

2/2
    Alex Gibney's answer to my question: how do people get so drawn into Scientology? The "talking cure."

Jay Rosen @jayrosen_nyu · 54 minutes ago
    For the last 25 years, what institution has been the most hostile to journalists trying to do their jobs? I say: Church of Scientology. You?

Jay Rosen @jayrosen_nyu · 46 minutes ago
    Obama Administration? As an answer to my question?
    No. Not close. Try to find press interviews with David Miscavige.

Dan Telfer ‏@dantelfer 15 minutes ago
    Thinking about blackmailing the IRS until they recognize Girl Scout Cookies as a religion.
    #GoingClear

Frank V Nicolas ‏@fvnicolas 2 hours ago
    Dear Tom Cruise, I'll still watch your films... even if you're one crrrrrazy bitch.
    #GoingClear
    • Like Like x 2
  19. RightOn Member

^ no Frank just no!
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Kilia Member

21. RightOn Member

I think SallySock tweeted it too?
    I couldn't be happier
    I hope Leah says WTF? and says hey! let's do this again by unbiased investigator!
  22. anon8109 Member

• Like Like x 1
  23. anon8109 Member

• Like Like x 1
  24. failboat Member

• Like Like x 3
  25. A.O.T.F Member

rs.jpg

10 Things We Learned From Scientology Doc 'Going Clear'

Now that the HBO doc on Scientology has aired, we break down a few of its more damning talking points

720x405-42-35352964.jpg
    Alex Gibney's HBO documentary 'Going Clear' reveals some of Scientology's most controversial secrets. Paul Buck/EPA/Getty

Last night, HBO aired Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief, Alex Gibney's documentary exposé of the Church of Scientology and its founder, science fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard. While much of the information contained within the film isn't technically new (especially since the doc is based on executive producer Lawrence Wright's book of the same name), it does forcefully, brutally put faces to many of the stories, and assembles a meticulous, damning case against the church. The organization had taken aggressive action to counterattack (including a full-page ad in The New York Times) after the movie's premiere at Sundance last January, and now that the film has finally aired on the cable channel, they're likely to go on the offensive as a whole new audience begins to discuss some of the Scientology's more terrifying, disturbing practices. Here are 10 of Going Clear's biggest talking points.

Continued - http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/features/10-things-we-learned-from-going-clear-20150330

• Like Like x 5
  26. My favorite part was Miscavige singing 'We stand tall.'

I laughed.
  27. Anonymous Member

Here's WWP's version. Enjoy!

ETA: Link --->
    • Like Like x 2
  28. Incredulicide Member

• Like Like x 2
  29. The Wrong Guy Member

Religion is a pyramid scheme: Scientology and the lasting lesson of “Going Clear”

Alex Gibney's new documentary is more than an exposé. It's an urgent reminder that salvation is big business.

By Lynn Stuart Parramore, AlterNet

In America, salvation is big business, and he who dies with the most souls wins. Plenty of lives are wrecked along the way, but no matter. When consumer capitalism meets religious yearning, the sky’s the limit of what can you can get away with. That’s the subtext of Alex Gibney’s latest film, Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief, which premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in January and screened on HBO on March 29.

L. Ron Hubbard, or LRH, as he liked to style himself, was an American of unprepossessing origins in search of meaning and money. Possibly he found the first, and is just now cavorting with intergalactic spirits in the sky. Most definitely he found the second, riding a rocket ship of wacked-out ambition to create what is now essentially a tax-free shell company with $3 billion in assets and real estate holdings on six continents.

Gibney doesn’t give us LRH as a madman, or even a simple huckster. The penny-a-word pulp fiction writer could have just been another loser who couldn’t manage to finish college and whose less-than-stellar naval service went awry when he inadvertently used a Mexican island for target practice and was deemed unfit for command. Going Clear traces the young man’s early perambulations through California occultism and various hare-brained moneymaking schemes to the Jersey Shore, where he washed up exhausted and plagued by anxiety. Another man might have just given up. But not LRH.

Instead, he marshaled a smattering of knowledge from various strains of psychological and philosophical esoterica to gin up a mental health self-help system he named Dianetics, which he introduced in a hugely successful book in 1950. For a while it seemed like LRH had finally found his pot of gold, but alas, the Dianetics fad faded like the hula-hoop craze, its foundations disintegrating into debt and disorder.

Then came the epiphany, shared with his second wife Sara Northrup, who appears in the film as the shell-shocked survivor of LRH’s dreams. “The only way to make any real money,” he told her, “was to have a religion.”

Shazaam! When he wasn’t terrorizing Sara (once at gunpoint, she claims), LRH set about grafting Dianetics onto a space opera of cosmic conflicts going back trillions of years, much of the details mined from his pulp novels. He added messages of freedom and progress that fit neatly with the values of late capitalism, sprinkled in a little New Age hoo-ha, and called it Scientology.

Behold, a moneymaking scheme for the ages was born.

LRH reasoned that if he could turn Dianetics into a religion, the U.S. government couldn’t take away any income from him in the form of taxes. Surely he’d soon be swimming in it. He grokked the American zeitgeist well enough to bet that a seeker of spiritual relief could be transformed into a steadfast consumer who would empty her pockets for the promise of conquering the anxiety of being human in an uncertain and often hostile world.

Continued here:
    http://www.salon.com/2015/04/02/rel...nd_the_lasting_lesson_of_going_clear_partner/
    • Like Like x 4
  30. finnishandy Member

• Like Like x 6
  31. mojo Member

• Like Like x 3
  32. RightOn Member

• Like Like x 3
  33. Disambiguation Global Moderator

• Like Like x 2
  34. The Wrong Guy Member

From Canada:

Law: Leave my cable alone, Scientology | Welland Tribune

If you were looking forward to HBO's Church of Scientology documentary Going Clear on Sunday night, it was conspicuously absent from HBO Canada.

By John Law, Niagara Falls Review

I don't know any scientologists. None in my neighborhood, as far as I can tell. If I've met one, I wasn't aware.

We don't have a beef with each other, to the best of my knowledge. Maybe they have a file on me, who knows. They wouldn't be the first.

Sure, I loved the South Park episode that tore a strip off them (the classic Trapped in the Closet), but surely they wouldn't know about that, right? Can they tell what DVDs I'm watching? How far does this rabbit hole go?

I suspect just typing the word 'scientologist' will now put me on their radar thanks to their alien-powered search engine, so now that I have their attention, please enlighten me:

Why are you messing with my cable?

I can overlook your 'spiritual rehabilitation' and that we're all cosmic beings called 'thetans' and maybe even your theory that we were all brought to Earth millions of years ago by the ruler of a Galactic Confederacy named Xenu. Every single religion has stuff that seems crazy to outsiders, how is Scientology any different?

(And before you get too uppity, just remember what we're celebrating this weekend.)

If I'm what you call a 'suppressive person' because I think it's a bunch of hooey, so be it. I can still watch a Tom Cruise movie without thinking about it.

But now that you've interfered with my TV viewing, all bets are off. You know what I'm talking about.

Like most Canadians, I spent Sunday night watching The Walking Dead. But I had full intentions of catching up on HBO's high-profile documentary Going Clear afterwards. It was being broadcast at the same time, and attracted 1.7 million viewers — the most for an HBO documentary since 2006.

It had been hyped for months. Based on Lawrence Wright's 2013 book Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood and the Prison of Belief, the two-hour movie by director Alex Gibney (Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room), is a probing look at the church's tactics of intimidation and legal threats to keep its secrets safe and members quiet. One ex-Scientologist asserts John Travolta has been forced to stay with the church because of threats his personal life will be exposed otherwise.

Sounds good. Maybe some day the cable I pay for will offer it.

When I clicked Cogeco's On Demand this week, Going Clear was AWOL. Stuff on Sunday is usually available Monday, but it wasn't there. Checked again Tuesday — nope. Wednesday? Nada.

Intrigued, I searched 'Going Clear Canada' on Twitter, and saw a whole bunch of other folks wondering what happened.

- 'Glad Going Clear released this week, too bad it's not available in Canada.'

- 'This is starting to get a little embarrassing for you guys. Why won't you say if Going Clear will ever air on HBO Canada?'

- 'When will Scientology doc Going Clear air on HBO Canada? Why won't you respond to tweets about it?'

I sent an e-mail to HBO Canada asking what's up, and 10 minutes later got this response: "Unfortunately, we were unable to broadcast Going Clear at the same time as its airing in the US. That is all the information we have at this time. I will forward your comments to our Programming Department for review."

Really? That's all the information they have?

Do you suppose the fact Wright's book was never carried by Canadian book stores two years ago out of legal concerns had anything to do with it?

Might the fact HBO Canada also kiboshed the March 6 episode of Real Time With Bill Maher, in which Wright was a guest, be related?

Might the fact the Church of Scientology has a long history of suing magazines, newspapers, governments and thousands of different people — spending about $20 million per year on legal actions, according to TIME — be the reason I can't watch this freakin' movie?

Is Scientology happy they're forcing me to illegally download it? Xenu would be so disappointed.

Let's go straight to the Church for answers. At [cult link removed] there's a contact form to ask a question.

They want your name. They want your e-mail. They want your phone number.

On the other hand, I think I'll wait for the DVD.

john.law@sunmedia.ca

Comments are open, here:
    http://www.wellandtribune.ca/2015/04/02/leave-my-cable-alone-scientology

Twitter mentions:
    https://twitter.com/search?f=realtime&q=GoingClear Canada
    • Like Like x 6
  35. 260

Just heard Lawrence Wright interviewed. The interviewer keep saying how Scientology doesn't seem like a real religion, that it doesn't qualify as an authentic religion, etc. is a money make cult. etc., and Wright kept ignoring him and calling it a religion.

Stupid.

Wright is a mixed blessing.
  36. BigBeard Member

I prefer Tony Ortega's take on it. Religion/Cult doesn't matter, it's the actions that matter. And when those actions negatively impact peoples lives and livelyhoods, that matters. Changing the 501(c)3 rules to require tax exempt entities books to be open will make it a lot harder to hide funding being used for that harassment.

BigBeard
    • Like Like x 4
  37. Huh? It matters hugely.
  38. Anonymous Member

How?
    • Like Like x 1
  39. Ask Luis and Rocio Garcia.
  40. Anonymous Member

You made the statement, you answer the question.

Legislation in the USA regards scientology as a "church."

Anyone who has done serious study of the cult knows it to be and regards it as a cult.

So? It's both. It's not an either/or situation except with respect to the USA legislation.

To some, it's a church. To others, it's a cult.

As for the Garcia's, I'm saddened by their losses, but - they bought the ticket and they took the ride. We must act responsibly for the choices we make.