Customize

Alex Gibney: Going Clear

Discussion in 'Media' started by DeathHamster, Nov 24, 2014.

1. The Wrong Guy Member

Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief - Review

Published by What The Flick?! on April 3, 2015

Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief directed by Alex Gibney and featuring Paul Haggis and Jason Beghe is reviewed by Ben Mankiewicz (host of Turner Classic Movies), Matt Atchity (Editor-in-chief Rottentomatoes.com), Alonso Duralde (TheWrap and Linoleum Knife podcast) and Christy Lemire (www.ChristyLemire.com).

See what other critics are saying:
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/going_clear_scientology_and_the_prison_of_belief_2015/

Directed by Oscar winner Alex Gibney and based on the book by Pulitzer Prize winner Lawrence Wright, Going Clear profiles eight former members of the Church of Scientology-whose most prominent adherents include A-list Hollywood celebrities-shining a light on how the church cultivates true believers, detailing their experiences and what they are willing to do in the name of religion. One of the most talked about films at the 2015 Sundance Film Festival, this powerful documentary highlights the Church's origins, from its roots in the mind of founder L. Ron Hubbard to its rise in popularity in Hollywood and beyond. Going Clear is a provocative tale of ego, exploitation, and lust for power. (C) HBO
    • Like Like x 6
  2. mojo Member

• Like Like x 2
  3. mojo Member

you know, i've been reading and posting here since the first anonymous vid....i was not prepared for this documentary....seriously speechless
    you can watch here. i don't know for how long
    • Like Like x 4
  4. White Tara Global Moderator

Thank you for this timely post mojo, I was just telling a member of my family to watch it when they get a chance, and low and behold here tis :)
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Anon1942 Member

Blocked in the US
  6. Random guy Member

Quite. It is an organization.
    • Like Like x 4
  7. TrevAnon Member

• Like Like x 2
  8. RightOn Member

He was IN going clear, duh! and the cult is bugging him again and that is the reason why he has been speaking out so much again. His tire was slit too.
    edited: Spanky's tire was slit.
    ok satisfied?
  9. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  10. Incredulicide Member

WANT!
    • Like Like x 6
  11. anon8109 Member

• Like Like x 2
  12. Mr. Magoo Member

The fact that people constantly refer to scientology as "the Church" or a "church" is one of my pet peeves. Perhaps "the Church" is technically correct for journalistic purposes, as that is the name the cult has chosen for itself, but factually, scientology is not a church. It is scam/business/organization/cult/etc. (whatever). IMHO every time it is called a "church" or "the Church," those who use those terms are giving the cult an increased air of credibility that it absolutely does not deserve. I can't even bring myself to use an upper case "S" when I type out the word "scientology."
    • Like Like x 5
  13. TrevAnon Member

Not sure, but I think I saw somewhere it wasn't his OWN tire? :confused:
    • Like Like x 1
  14. RightOn Member

oh I didn't know that. I wondered if it was an actual tire slit, I heard it is a crazy hard thing to do?
  15. The Wrong Guy Member

Going Clear with Scientology Member Turned Whistleblower Tom Devocht

Published by TheLipTV on April 3, 2015

Going Clear, the HBO documentary on Scientology, and the sinister truth about the church is discussed with former Scientologist, Tom Devocht. His decades-long exploitation by the group, the dark side of David Miscavige, and how Scientology corrodes the will of members from the Sea Org up to Hollywood stars including Tom Cruise are exposed by the whistleblower in an uncensored Media Mayhem, hosted by Allison Hope Weiner.
    • Like Like x 6
  16. hokum Member

• Like Like x 3
  17. RightOn Member

wow! sorry I can't remember EVERY little thing that is posted on all these threads!
    Read post #'s 1133 and 1134!
    sigh ... worse than the cult!
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Incredulicide Member

Going Glib: On Alex Gibney’s Fleet but Tactless Scientology Exposé
    by Angelo Muredda

Last two paragraphs:
    The trouble might be that Gibney’s campaign to deliver a shocking scoop for Sunday-night television is at odds with the difficult lived experiences of his subjects. As a result, Going Clear is probably more entertaining—and self-enchanted by its own entertainment value—than an exposé about people who’ve had their lives stolen from them really ought to be. Between his Errol Morris-cribbed dramatic recreations, his cheeky conceptual tutorials about auditing modeled after 1950s educational videos, his wailing ondes Martenot score beamed in from Star Trek, and his cheerful infographics about Scientology’s top-secret higher levels of enlightenment—which sound a bit like different kinds of drivers’ licenses to the uninitiated—Gibney seems to be conducting a mini-tour of informational nonfiction aesthetics. Going Clear seems as preoccupied with demonstrating Gibney’s fluency with the genre—what we might call the “information dump doc”—than it is with delivering the actual information. Gibney’s aesthetic self-consciousness is not inherently a bad thing, but it strikes the wrong note here, giving an air of condescension to not only things people actually believe, but also, more troublingly, traumatizing experiences people actually survived.

Indeed, for all the weird archival footage of Tom Cruise dissolving into a flurry of impenetrable buzzwords and punching gestures when presented with the Church’s top honor, Going Clear is a strange sit mostly because its darkly comic tone doesn’t quite support the painful stories its prized subjects are telling. This is not to say that Gibney is unaware of the seriousness of human trafficking and child abduction, just two of the heavy charges convincingly laid at upper ranking Church members here; his previous work is a sobering argument to the contrary. But there is an indelicacy to his touch here that neutralizes the film’s impact as anything but a glib, rollicking tour through strange lands.

One comment: "Hipster review. Trying to prove he's too cool for school. C-, must try harder."
    • Like Like x 4
  19. Ogsonofgroo Member

Yup, the pic provided showed a cut on the tread, not how its done for slashing tires, as the sidewall is where to do that sort of fuckery due to steel belts and thick tread, so I wuz sortta meh on that *shrugz*
    My thought was theres a bit o' paranoia happening there, but hey, nothing even remotely involving cult surprises me any more.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. RightOn Member

"The trouble might be that Gibney’s campaign to deliver a shocking scoop for Sunday-night television is at odds with the difficult lived experiences of his subjects"

uh no, Angelo. Ain't no "trouble", move along now.
  21. Quentinanon Member

Or, more precisely, a crime syndicate, or criminal enterprise.
    • Like Like x 2
  22. The Wrong Guy Member

Former Scientologists Speak Out Against Church in Wake of HBO Documentary | Yahoo

The HBO documentary about Scientology, “Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief,” premiered on Sunday with a two-hour runtime that nabbed nearly 1.7 million viewers. It proved to be the network’s biggest documentary premiere in almost a decade. While some of the church’s most high-profile Hollywood members such as Tom Cruise and John Travolta have stayed silent, those who chose to leave, such as “Chicago Fire” star Jason Beghe and Lisa Marie Presley, are now speaking out.

Video and comments:
    https://music.yahoo.com/video/former-scientologists-speak-against-church-215642171.html
    • Like Like x 3
  23. anon8109 Member

• Like Like x 2
  24. Hugh Bris Member

"Sometimes the shit hitting the fan is a damn nice sound" says Lisa Marie Presley.

and while watching Beghe swearing his way through the interview I had the thought that he is a perfect counter factual. COS insists that anyone who leaves COS will experience bad times. Yet looking through Beghe's CV on IMdB it looks like he's been just fine since he left scientology. A slap in the face to DM and scientology.
    • Like Like x 4
  25. It is scam/Church/business/organization/cult/etc. (whatever).
  26. Hugh Bris Member

ikr
    It was the right way to approach it for Wright. This avoids making the reporting style or technique controversial.

In the movie, Wright starts reading the OT3 story, then after establishing the thought the voiceover switches to Hubbard's voice finishing the OT3 point. They did this several times, reading through the insane parts about DC8s and injections. Very effective presentation.

To me that shows that Wright is not putting his spin on things, but is reporting what was said. Finishing the thought in Hubbard's own voice completes the point, that Hubbard is batshit insane. But at no point did anyone do anything other than excellent journalism.
    • Like Like x 5
  27. Anonymous Member

Brilliant SNL Fake Ad Ridicules Scientology’s Creepy Underbelly

by Andrew Kirell | 12:18 am, April 5th, 2015

When SNL presents a highly-produced pre-taped video sketch, it’s almost a guarantee to be better than the live-action skits. And tonight’s Scientology-bashing example was one for the ages.

The scene: A fake ’90s-era musical ad for a religion called “Neurotology,” replete with nonsense jargon like “Diametrics”; belief in aliens living in your brain; expensive devices that attach to your head; and subtly terrified followers who eventually leave the religion, go “missing,” or become outspoken activists against the cult.

There’s even a terrifying Miscavige-like leader and goofy black-and-white footage of an L. Ron-Hubbard-like founder.

You could spend two hours watching HBO’s Going Clear… or you could just watch this now:

Also picked up here: http://www.bustle.com/articles/7421...ombines-the-90s-neurotology-and-it-is-amazing

And here: http://www.hitfix.com/news/snls-scientology-spoof-is-damning-and-hilarious
    • Like Like x 11
  28. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 5
  29. Anonymous Member

Any educated guesses on how long the Gibney Effect will endure?

The Gibney Effect copy.jpg

I reckon that the heads will continue to explode and the cages will stay rattled until the end of the year.
    • Like Like x 7
  30. TrevAnon Member

LOL! One of them even "Switched to Scientology" ! :p
    • Like Like x 5
  31. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 4
  32. TrevAnon Member

• Like Like x 7
  33. Anonymous Member

switched to scientology.png

Thrown Off Boat.png
    • Like Like x 3
  34. The Wrong Guy Member

SNL Slams Scientology With Scathing Skit About Missing Members (Video) | The Hollywood Reporter

The sketch from Michael Keaton's episode focused on believers who had disappeared or been disconnected from their families for speaking out.

Saturday Night Live went for the jugular with its takedown of Scientology.

In a sketch from this weekend's Michael Keaton-hosted episode, the NBC series aired a fake advertisement for a religion called the Church of Neurotology, which was an obvious stand-in for founder L. Ron Hubbard's controversial faith. It appears that SNL opted to change the religion's name slightly for legal reasons.

One line from the jingle was, "The oldest religion, real and true, started in 1982."

The ad was supposedly filmed in the early 1990s, and captions on the screen pointed out various members who have since gone missing for speaking out against the church.

"Not allowed to see family," read one such caption. Another person was identified with the tag, "Blackmails gay actors."

This sketch follows the March 30 HBO premiere of the Scientology documentary Going Clear. In director Alex Gibney's film, former members claim to have been tortured and allege that they have been kept from seeing their families after leaving the religion.

The skit can be seen below.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/snl-michael-keaton-scientology-slammed-786442
    • Like Like x 6
  35. The Wrong Guy Member

Here's the SNL video in HD:

Neurotology Music Video - SNL

Published by Saturday Night Live on April 5, 2015

Followers of Neurotology star in a music video that sings the religion's praises in this Scientology parody.
    • Like Like x 5
  36. anon8109 Member

Nazi salute at 2:07.
    • Like Like x 2
  37. RightOn Member

Holy crap! It deserves its own thread.
    Bravo SNL!
    thank you Lorne Michaels!
    • Like Like x 4
  38. Scientology wants to be called a church and a religion. Either is a small victory for Scientology. Scientology wants to be depicted as religious, even when being ridiculed.

It's not a small victory for Scientology to be called an organization, or just Scientology. That's has a neutral effect.

What Scientology does not like is to be called a business, a money making activity, a rip off, a racket, a crime syndicate, a criminal organization, a cult, a mind control cult, a destructive cult, etc.

And it very much does not like it when it's pointed out that it uses religion, deceitfully, as a protective cover to avoid paying taxes and avoid being subject to numerous laws and regulations.
  39. DeathHamster Member

Funny, but is it a parody since it's so close to the original?
    • Like Like x 2