Customize

An Essay by The Hive Mind

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by underminer, Mar 9, 2011.

1. underminer Member

Hi all. Quite a few of you might read this and go "meh" or be totally against it, but that's fine, some of you might want to help which will be nice.

I'm in the middle of writing a book - pretty hard-core stuff (not like that) about taking out the industrial system, more specifically undermining the things that keep us disconnected from the real world and instead plugged into the machine. You can read a bit about it here.

Each of the ten chapters is accompanied by an essay written by a person who has something important to say about the topic in that chapter. For the second half of the book I want to go into some detail about specific types of undermining activity, one of which is taking control of the infrastructure that determines how we think and behave (government propaganda, mainstream TV and radio news broadcasts, advertising, public schooling etc.) The kinds of tactics employed by Anonymous fit into that bracket very well so I want to try to construct an essay of sorts that represents the views of at least some of the people involved in Anonymous.

I'm making a conscious effort not to end up with the load of wank that newspapers and TV broadcasters churn out by collaring a "leader" or just assuming they know the hive mind, which they clearly don't, and don't really want to - all they want is a story. I'm after a bit of reality, while also keeping individuals protected, which is why I would like to build something up through this thread.

The subject of the essay is, "Why Anonymous Works", and it's going to try and capture a range of views, all unattributed. You can say as little or as much as you like on the subject, sometimes less is more, but sometimes long rambles can contain some real gems - I'll assemble it into something that resembles a coherent essay and post it back here so you can say whether it reads ok. Whatever it ends up as, it will be your words only.

Eventually the book will go online as a Creative Commons document, and it might even find a publisher (my last one did, amazingly). Rest assured I won't make any money out of it - I gave up paid work to do this and writing is definitely not a way of earning money.

Many, many thanks. Please just contribute as you see fit.
  2. Anonymous Member

You never heard of L. Ron Hubbard?
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Anonymous Member

Hubbard never got any money writing books remember? Thats why Scientology happened.
  4. underminer Member

Ok, *most* writing is not a way of earning money - not mine, anyway :-/
  5. Anon3Mouse Member

Could you be clearer as to what it is you're asking for? Just a rambling wall of text on anything Anon related? And really, I'm not sure this is the place to get an accurate look at the hive mind, most of the people still here have no better grasp of Anonymous than any cable news network. This crowd has become pretty much mostly NORPs that learned some memespeak.
  6. xenubarb Member

Why Anonymous Works:

Imagine, if you will, a giant cookie cutter descending on your neighborhood, lifting away all within its circumference. A random selection of neighbors, shops, and other businesses would be impacted. Depending on the size of the cookie cutter, you'd get a pretty big cross section of society. While there might not be much this disparate group can agree on, if they find one point, internet pedophilia say, they can agree on they can work together to fight it.

That cross section is analogous to Anonymous. The only prerequisite to anonymous participation is internet access.
    Hubs of communication are formed, such as this forum and irc channels. There, issues are discussed. If it is agreed by the majority, courses of action are then reviewed and selected. If not agreed to by the majority, you will still have leaderfags stepping up as the "leaders of Anonymous." This is inconsequential to the hivemind, which understands that egofaggotry is human nature. This does not mean said leaderfags won't be slapped around a bit with a large trout by the legion.

It works because we have the ability to communicate in real time, from the street, or online in fora addressing our interests. It works because my interest isn't necessarily your interest, but our interests may intersect somewhere and when that happens, we can play nice with each other. It works because we're all the same. There is no "Elite Anonymous" except in the imaginations of Scientology and the few deluded who think they speak for the hive. It works because our decentralized nature offers few targets.

Anonymous really is the first global iteration of "We the people." And the people is getting fed up.
    • Like Like x 6
  7. underminer Member

Ideally something as close to "Why Anonymous Works" as possible - if it answers the question then that's good. For obvious reasons I want to depersonalise this so, for instance, I wouldn't use the subject "Why I support Anonymous", as that might give away personal information.

I guess there are ways of getting a more representative view, but a forum like this is a way of allowing people to think before they reply, and also build up a picture, as opposed to IRC where I'd probably be told to ask Pedobear as much as getting any useful information. But if you do have a way of putting the words of others on here, those in the know I mean, then that would be great. Cheers.
  8. underminer Member

That's great - just the kind of thing I'm looking for.
  9. xenubarb Member

That will be tree fitty pl0x.
    • Like Like x 4
  10. SquirrelBait Member

Elaborating on Xenubarb, it works because we don't individualize. Xenubarb offers an example of internet pedophilia, something most people can agree is horrible and will most certainly get behind to fight, but the problem comes when people don't leave their persona agendas behind and focus on the goal. We aren't men/women/children/republican/democratic/etc, We are Anonymous. When deciding to join the ranks of Anonymous, you make a conscious and firm decision that it is not about who you are, what you want, it's about what Anonymous is. And, in removing that, you consider things as a unit. When there is a discussion going on, I'm not think about how I personally feel, I'm thinking "Does this represent Anonymous?" and "Would Anonymous do this?".
  11. Anonymous Member

If you don't mind slogging hip-deep through the mire to find a few gems you should check out the "manifestos" and "press releases" > HERE. Even more entertainment to be found in the Comments sections.
  12. underminer Member

Good idea. Thanks for the tip.
  13. underminer Member

Thanks SquirrelBait - added to the pile.

When I get lots of pl0x I will pay you all back :)
  14. Anonymous Member

15. I respectfully disagree with you to a point, and consequentially that illustrates the general point. While I agree that by being anonymous you are firmly choosing to leave behind all the labels you wear as a NORP. This alone great helps you by being an activist. You aren't looking at how the other people in your label (i.e republicans) are feeling about the situation, you are concerned with solid, DOX or GTFO. And you demand and work for action, setting aside your other restricting labels.

I do disagree with you however on the last part:

Personally, I feel it is not so much as doing what the hive mind does, and thinking "Does this Represent Anonymous" etc. Anonymous isn't a group with certain ideas. Anonymous is loosely collected, and truthfully, All Anonymous does is let people get behind the mask, hide their NORP identities, and discuss. That's all we do is discuss. Then discussions lead to Action, and each person can think for themselves, or arrive at different reasons for what they do.

Pointing to Scientology, There are a great number of protesters who stipulate that they do not protest the beliefs of the cult, only the abuses perpetrated by it. Lisa McPherson etc. However, I have done research into their beliefs, which show their contempt for the rest of Humanity calling them WOGS, and advocating denying anyone seen as 2.0 on their tone scale to be removed from Society.

In short, while Anonymous is a monicker you can hide your NORP personality behind, Anonymous as a colective have their own agendas : i.e. the Anons who took part in the Habbo Hotel Raids, are Anonymous, and different from Chanologists.

tl;dr Anonymous action is whatever you want to do. You could be solo ANonymous protesting Muslims outside a mosque, but it doesn't mean Anonymous groups support you.
  16. xenubarb Member

Righty right, mostly. But you missed one detail; when behind the mask, society sees us as one pseudopod of a global entity. Also V For Vendetta, but he died so we must represent anon rather than Vee.

Your example of the Scientology issue demonstrates that we can disagree while working toward a common goal. It's not relevant, but I agree with you. The abuses are written into the damn doctrine! Strip that abusive garbage out, and you get Scientology Lite; still crazy, still insanity producing bolonium that includes being able to affect the analog world with yur Mind Powers and coming back for billions of years. That last one, I fear, makes it easy for Scientologists to "drop the body" in anticipation of picking up a new one. Rex Fowler wasn't looking for a dead end, he was seeking an off-ramp.

some of the Habbo Raid anons were with us in the early part of the first year. But those guys have rolled on, leaving Chanology in their wake. They hate us now and call us 'moralfags,' but when Scientology implodes, they'll get to join in on the credit.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Yeah your right on the how society views us bit, but I was writing about actually being anonymous, not what the media fags say Anonymous is.
  18. xenubarb Member

It's a series of tubes...no, ogres, I mean onions, I mean...

Anonymous. It's complicated.
    • Like Like x 3
  19. Anonymous Member

If the essay were written one word at a time by all of Anonymous (impossible, I know... just watch /b/ try to count to 10 for bewbs), then it would be an essay written by the hive mind.
  20. xenubarb Member

Dibs on "the!"
  21. Zak McKracken Member

I've got "second space, after a full stop."
  22. underminer Member

That would be fun, but probably really bad. Disagreements show we are all human which is a bit weird in terms of a hive mind and makes Anonymous vulnerable to some things; but on the other hand makes it possible for anyone to feel they are part of things rather than being absorbed into a whole.

Bugger, I'm writing things. That won't get into the essay.
  23. Anonymous Member

"Penetrating so many secrets, we cease to believe in the unknowable. But there it sits, nevertheless, calmly licking its chops." - H. L. Mencken
  24. underminer Member

Nice quote. I've used this earlier in the book:

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.” (Roger “Verbal” Kint, The Usual Suspects)

I guess that came from the former.
  25. Consensus Member

• Like Like x 1
  26. Anonymous Member

Based on some of what you and others have posted onto that thread, I understand why you (honestly) are tired of writing and re-writing your thoughts.

That thread and many others, directly or obliquely related, have more than enough for a book or two, if one was diligent enough to pursue such a project.

I agree and think the writer should spend time examining what has been already written and posted to WWP before asking others to submit to another writing project. In my experience, writing engages us deeply in reading and not so much in asking for written submissions from others.

Unless the others are directly involved with an editorial role, proof-reading and such, I think a writer has a dual responsibility to the reader - writing and reading.
    • Like Like x 2
  27. Anon3Mouse Member

This right here demonstrates exactly why you are not and never will be Anonymous.
  28. LocalSP Member

I'd like to buy a vowel.
  29. LocalSP Member

I hate the term "Hive mind". To me it brings up an image of worker bees doing the bidding of a queen (leader). Since Anonymous doesn't have a leader, any leaders, contrary to what Barret Brown says, I would love to see that term die.
  30. Anonymous Member

I wonder if the bees know they have a leader?
  31. LocalSP Member

That I'm afraid is a question for the ages.
  32. Anonymous Member

I t
    I think the fagbees know that there is a queen bee but they don't talk about it much; they're too busy buzzing and joking about frayed knots.
  33. Anonymous Member

Ages 3 and up.
    • Like Like x 1
  34. annon21 Member

I don't know if we could be called hive mind but....
    I if you were to start answering the question "Why Anonymous Works?" You need to ask A Psychologist how a persons mind works and then Sociologist how a counterculture works, and then you have to think about how the internet changes some things we think about interims of both how a persons mind works and how the internet is society by itself. The internet creates this awesome vial of anonymity. Anonymity plus a big group of people equals invincibly. Think of Anonymous as a herd of zebra rather than a hive of bees in that since. This allows Anonymous to do the things they like to do on 4Chan and the other parts of the interwebz without fear or guilt. This lack of fear can apply to everything including dangerous cults like Scientology or even our governments..... Thats all i got.

Also they like to troll.
  35. Anonymous Member

+1
  36. Clever Name Member

fix'd
  37. Anonymous Member

Anonymous works because the people who believe they are it's members believe it works. The simple fact that their is no central leadership or government is both a blessing and a curse. A Blessing because it can never be snubbed out. A curse for without central leadership the organization or (dis-organization) spreading new, info, or recruitment is on person at a time. Ear to Ear. Mouth to Mouth.
  38. xenubarb Member

I am because I say I am. It shows you don't understand human nature. You think we're not gonna strut when it goes down? You think there won't be parties, preening, epeen waving?

You're glib. You don't know the history of anonymous. And if you give a fuck, how bout getting off your "I'm a card carrying anonymous and you're not" ass and write something yourself instead of wasting my time with your unsolicited input?
    • Like Like x 6
  39. Anonymous Member

I doubt na, whyles, but thou may thieve;
    What then? poor beastie, thou maun live!
    A daimen icker in a thrave
    'S a sma' request;
    I'll get a blessin wi' the lave,
    An' never miss't.
  40. Anonymous Member

What's true for you is true for you?