Customize

Anonymous and democracy

Discussion in 'Freedom of Expression' started by VIRITUAL, Feb 17, 2009.

1. VIRITUAL Member

Anonymous and democracy

I am researching anonymous for a paper in my English class because I feel anonymous is extremely important and needs to be discussed as you are much more significant than anyone right now may know. I believe that you people are the purest form of democracy. I believe you people are going to be looked at by future generations as one of two things. You could be looked at as a "cyber terrorist" organization that dismantled Scientology or as the organization that brought about a new way of thinking. I personally hope it is the latter of the two.

I am not writing about your groups plans to dismantle Scientology but I plan to focus on the bigger picture that anon has presented, I hope to present the idea that in the twenty first century democracy has finally found its place in America. I believe that anon will become known as the first online group that represents an idea and through that idea comes actions that are planned out in cyberspace but acted on in real life. I believe that if something needs to be changed in America from now on it will be known first on the internet and i believe that anon is exactly that. Anon saw something wrong (ie. CO$ taking down the tom cruise video) and created a plan to dismantle the wrongdoers. i believe that finally it is not up to the elitists in Washington to come up with solutions to the problems in America but the everyday man woman and child.

I am not telling you my beliefs as if you will care I am only telling you them because I want to know what you believe about what I have just said. I want to know what a member of anonymous believes. I know there is no ranks in anonymous and I know that not one person can speak for all but I want to know what you think.

(also I apologize if you live in the UK but i think that this applies to any government its just that I live in America so that's just how i think.)
  2. LolitaTrap Member

Re: Anonymous and democracy

Anonymous and the chans are probably the greatest social experiment ever, but the thing is, how are you going to weed through all the shit and masturbation that makes up 99% of Anonymous to really get some points? Anon is pretty-much a Hive Mind entity that operates on the premise of a Stand-Alone Complex. While sometimes it comes together to good things, it can equally be a force of bad. It's Chaotic Neutral or Chaotic Chaotic. You never fucking know what to expect. One day it'll be Hal Turner who's getting shitted on, but simultaneously a new black joke will pop up on the boards that doesn't die for a few months...
  3. azonymous Member

4. King Nerd Member

We have cake. That's our real selling point.
  5. VIRITUAL Member

shit i should know....its been cake all along huh.
  6. King Nerd Member

Always and forever.
  7. ClingingMars Member

also LULZ

many lulz
  8. King Nerd Member

Lulz make me happy in the pants.
  9. Rihan Member

sorry dude the cake is a lie.

btw I AM NOT A FUCKING ISLANDMONKEY FROM UK! nether i am from the glory obamaland (inb4 CHANGE spam)

anon is not bound to any fucking country.

and our main point is to fap on strange stuff!
  10. VIRITUAL Member

so if anon since anon is not affiliated with any country it makes it the strongest organization because just like a religions the people are not a collection of region but of ideas. is this true or am i just making anon into something it isn't?

plus I am a little disapointed about the cake..
  11. King Nerd Member

Anonymous is what it is. There's nothing fancy about it. The same thing can happen in any community that shares the same culture and ideas. For instance, look at Star Trek conventions.
    However, I think this is the first time a collection of people from the internet gathered to protest something.
  12. VIRITUAL Member

exactly. I am thinking that anon will become an example of how the internet will become the forefront of change. It already has shown that the internet can break barriers such as ageism and racial differences by making everyone anonymous but all with the same goals and ideas. anon is the perfect example of change through nothing but ideals. for example i have no clue who you are and what you stand for, all that i know is that you fell that you have been wronged by the CO$ and that anon will bring about a change for the better. But you are still taking time out of your day to listen to what i have to say even though you dont know what i look like how old i am and if you should be looking down on me for any other reason.
  13. King Nerd Member

Its just the internet. Anonymous being one (albeit popular) community among many.
  14. VIRITUAL Member

think about this. in the beginning of America all the decisions were left to the elitist because the common man was deemed to stupid and uninformed to make the right decision, now jump forwards two hundred years and think about the fact that Americans have no real rights as we do not actually hold any power. but with the internet we are as informed and intelligent as the elitists and it has become easier to start a cause and form a following on the internet. Dont you think that through the same means anon has gone through that a civil war could break out over the internet much the same way anon has broken up out of 4chan and on to fox news and into the streets?

(again i do know anon is not representing a country)
  15. King Nerd Member

I don't think Anonymous cares much about those sorts of things.
    The cult of scientology rattled the wrong cage. Once this project is completed, many people will return under the bridges they emerged from.
  16. VIRITUAL Member

i know anon probably doesn't care about any government or any civil war but i am just saying that one singular ideal that a small group of people have and persue can cause a snowball effect that pulls everyone out from underneath the bridges that is the awesome part.
  17. King Nerd Member

Well, in this day and age, those things happen.
  18. Nataku Member

Anonymous is not a group or organization.
  19. King Nerd Member

This too.
  20. VIRITUAL Member

ok now i have one last question and it is how long have you been part of anon and what were your reasons for joining in. What has prompted you to start against CO$. please just say the exact reason because i just watched that angry gay pope video of him getting tackled and that pissed me off enough to where i wanted to get involved because that was bs....but i regress. please anyone answer this one.
  21. Anon1720 Member

Using the search function, check out these threads "Introduce Yourself Here" and "What has Anonymous done for you" to answer your latest question.
  22. themadhair Member

There is nothing to join. Seriously, you either participate or you don't. There really is nothing to join.

They didn't like caek and lulz and mudkips.

AGP didn't get tackled. The cult know he has aids and anonymous know he has aids so who would tackle him???

I don't take 'survey' threads seriously.
  23. Anoniemert Member

24. anonymous612 Member

Have I missed the "LURK MOAR" post? No?

Okay, lurk moar.

I should point out that pure democracy works about as well as pure communism. It all has its faults, it's hard to make it work as intended without by your actions making it no longer a pure democracy, and there's a reason we get leaderfags. Pericles was basically a Greek leaderfag, after all. And I don't remember what my point was. Something about lurking moar in history, too.

ALSO THE UNITED STATES IS A REPUBLIC FFS.
  25. Nataku Member

26. twelve Member

Anonymous is a democracy in about the same way that Industrial Revolution Britain was a communism. Freedom is neither a necessary nor sufficient prerequisite for democracy, nor is democracy either necessary or sufficient for freedom.
  27. King Nerd Member

28. LilDebbie Member

why not both? anonymous is not your friend. we will happily fuck you sideways if the lulz moves us to do so. we were brought into this world by that mad bastard aleister crowley. contrary to popular opinion, our name is not legion. it is choronzon. our number is three hundred thirty three.
  29. Herro Member

This is a fantastic idea for a paper. As KN has pointed out, note that anonymous is just one manifestation of a much broader change in human interaction and group dynamics made possible by the wide scale dissemination of online telecommunications technologies. Anonymous isn't what's driving this change, anonymous is being driven by this change. Also remember that the culture of Anonymous grows and develops from existing cultural norms. It's evolutionary, not revolutionary.
  30. BTANONNYC Member

What do you mean "you" people?
    rhymefest_full.jpg
  31. VIRITUAL Member

is that black man holding a glue gun?
  32. TypingChimp Member

We all liek Rick Astley and Paul Van Dyk and think Metallica are gods for all the good they have done for the internetz.

What was my point? Oh yeah. LURK MOAR!
  33. Re: Anonymous and democracy

All things Anon can be either traced back to either fapping or lulz. Sometimes both.

Usually both.
  34. Re: Anonymous and democracy

Not a democracy btw.
  35. BTANONNYC Member

i honestly have no idea.
  36. SwordSworn Member

I believe the candy coated happy carefree video to watch is

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0WCLKzDFpI&feature=PlayList&p=150C43C4C3846D51&playnext=1&index=21]YouTube - Who is Anonymous?[/ame]
  37. TypingChimp Member

Agreed. This isn't a democracy. This is anarchy, though we do sometimes form transient collectives. If anyone wants to understand Anonymous, they should ponder the philosophical implications of the Mandelbrot set. 420 and the like are optional.
  38. Freu Member

Or is that what they want you to think?
  39. TheStig Member

NOT IN MY ANONYMOUS, IT ISN"T!!1!1!muthafuknone!

Anonymous is a new entity, one that defies categorization in pre-globalization, nation-state based paradigms. Anonymous is postnational (listen to Paul Kurtz on Point of Inquiry). We have no allegiance to anything but our own ideas. Anonymous is not a democracy.

Anonymous is a nebula - each molecule has it's own trajectory but gravity and dark energy provide a structure by mechanisms we don't understand.
  40. j0eg0d Member

Democracy only works when you're one of the majority.

Anarchy works without need of leadership, and that's what Anonymous basically is.