Customize

Another Scientology Related Death? Tayler Tweed aka Tayler DeBari

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by RightOn, Jan 20, 2014.

• Like Like x 1
  1. Rickk Member

Anyone out there that can help me? I'm having serious problems.

This is my first post. I don't know which thread to go into.

I didn't know Tayler much. I know her brother very little. My memory is not good, but I think she was at Mojave at the farm when I was. I remember a group of girls would sing a lot in the van when driving around. I remember having a lot of fun. I think some of them were TLC Waterfalls, You Gotta Be Des'ree and Spice Girls. Hard to remember, but I'm pretty sure she was there. I only saw her I think twice after that and we never spoke. The last time was in the front of the org at the canteen. I've been having a lot of health issues and was going to say hi, but was feeling terrible.

I wish I got to know her.
  2. There many links in the thread that may help.
  3. Escape, I would love to see a picture of that t-shirt with Tayler's photo on it. If possible. Would you be willing to send me a photo of it?
  4. Orgsclosed Member

Fvh35H4.png
  5. Thank you! But is there a clearer, closer picture of it? So I can read what it says?
  6. The Wrong Guy Member

A Scientologist heading for suicide — the missing Tayler Tweed Facebook postings

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, April 28, 2016

Two years ago, we told you about Tayler Tweed, a 27-year-old Scientologist who had been working on a career in music and acting under the name Tayler DeBari before she killed herself at the home of some friends in Fullerton, California on January 10, 2014.

We heard from people who knew Tayler that in the months before her death, she had been saying negative things about Scientology on Facebook and talked about leaving it, but she had later been convinced to take those postings down. Her mother, Cathy Tweed, assured us that her daughter’s “upsets” with Scientology were minor:

Cathy, who is a Scientologist herself, denies that her daughter was turning away from the organization. “She had some upsets with the church,” she acknowledges, but she puts it down to Tayler’s anger when an ex-boyfriend began dating someone new. “She made one slight comment and then she retracted it,” Cathy says.

Her daughter was becoming increasingly frustrated with her career options, she adds.

“She couldn’t figure out what she wanted to do with her life. She felt very overwhelmed. She just got so nasty and mean to her friends,” she says. “It didn’t have anything to do with Scientology.”

Cathy Tweed told us that she and Tayler’s half-sister were getting matching memorial tattoos to cope with Tayler killing herself with a handgun. “We were shocked that she did that,” Cathy said. “But I’m at peace with what happened.”

Now, a friend of Tayler’s, Larisa Smith, has supplied us with the Facebook posts which had supposedly been lost, and we authenticated them with another close friend whose supportive responses showed up in some of them. The posts provide a troubling record of Tayler’s unhappiness with Scientology, her inability to get the emotional support she needed, and insensitive responses from some of her fellow Scientologists.

In our 2014 story, we were cautious about the role Tayler’s problems with Scientology might have played in her suicide, saying that it’s depression that usually plays a bigger role in a person’s decision to end their life. But we’re not experts about such things, and this time, we decided it would be better to call on one.

We shared Tayler’s Facebook posts — about two dozen of them made from September to November 2013 — with psychologist Rachel Bernstein, a licensed therapist in Los Angeles who was interviewed recently for the Underground Bunker by Chris Shelton.

“Besides depression, there are many other reasons people turn to suicide, and all of them fit Tayler’s situation,” Rachel tells us. “People commit suicide when…They feel there’s nobody in their family who understands; they’re made to feel there is something inherently wrong, bad, dangerous or permanently flawed about them; they feel isolated and alone; they are told they are a burden; they repeatedly reach out for help through the expression of sadness or frustration only to be shamed about needing that help.”

Rachel looked at Tayler’s postings in detail and sent us this moving explanation of what she saw:

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2016/04/28/a-...e-the-missing-tayler-tweed-facebook-postings/
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Do you follow her on Twitter? Im a friend of hers as well but like you said, her twitter is set to private and I can't see her tweets. If you do follow her on there or have a mutual friend who does, could you please get screenshots of her tweets? Im trying to get as many answer and details as I can. And I don't want her stuff on Twitter to be erased.
  8. The Wrong Guy Member

Another life connected to Scientology ends in despair, as so many do

By Tony Ortega, September 7, 2018

Quote:

In what is becoming an all-too frequent occurrence, we have another Scientology-related suicide to tell you about today. And this one connects to another one we told you about earlier.

In 2014, we told you about Tayler Tweed, a talented 27-year-old who ended her life after spending several months posting her doubts about Scientology and the difficulty it was creating in her family. Tayler became the subject of an episode of A&E’s Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath which revealed that one of her close friends was Lauren Haggis, daughter to Oscar-winning director Paul Haggis, who was also, like Leah, known for leaving Scientology. In the episode, Lauren read from heartbreaking messages written by Tayler that documented the torment she was in as she tried to deal with depression as a second-generation Scientologist.

Scientology struck back at Leah’s show with video of Tayler’s mother, Cathy Tweed, taking shots at this website and Leah’s show. We didn’t hear, however, from Tayler’s father, a man named William J. Newman who had long been estranged from Tayler’s mother.

William was deeply affected by Tayler’s suicide, says his son and Tayler’s older half-brother, Troy VanAntwerp, who lives in Michigan. Troy also tells us that his father was an OT Scientologist who left the church several years ago.

On July 10, William Newman took his own life. He was 68.

“He was very depressed,” Troy tells us. “He was lonely by choice if you ask me. And he was very distraught about Tayler’s death.”

Like Tayler, William ended his life with a self-inflicted gunshot.

Continued at https://tonyortega.org/2018/09/07/a...to-scientology-ends-in-despair-as-so-many-do/
    • Like Like x 2