Customize

Another way to help Iran? (donation)

Discussion in 'Help Iran Online' started by marilyn, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Hi,

Pardon me if this was all ready listed.

Nico Pitney linked a site where you can donate money to help Iranians get bandwidth:

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/iran_break_the_blackout/

However, I do not know its reputation myself, but I am willing to try it.

I think this could be a good option for people like myself who can not create a proxy server or use Tor on my home/work connection.

Cordially,

Marilyn of CO, USA
  2. Srpska Member

Even assuming it is legit, can it help in the short term? Unless you're planning to sow long-term seeds of sedition (seedition?), which incidentally I would support, it seems to me this wouldn't bear fruit soon enough to be useful.

Enough of the agricultural imagery, anyway; that's just my thoughts.
  3. Unfortunately, I have no idea how useful it will be. But in my mind, the chance it could be useful in long term or short term is appealing to me, and well worth the money that otherwise would just be spent on going out for dinner (or some other frivolity).
  4. Hechicera Member

5. Ginny8159 Member

How to Help

Marilyn,

I posted the info to this site earlier today and am glad to see your enthusiasm. Thank you! I agree that both short and long term measures are needed here to keep the momentum going for the protests in Iran. It's going to take many avenues to usher in the changes the people of Iran so desire. And it's going to take time.

I originally found the link to this site on Twitter #iranelection and signed a petition charging the Grand Ayatollah with war crimes/crimes against humanity. Anyone can do this there as well.

Amnesty International's number is 212-807-8400. Contacting them will ensure that the plight of those suffering torture etc. in prison will be to the forefront of their agenda. They are doing their best to keep abreast of the situation as well.

Also, did you know Italy is Iran's biggest trading partner? Let's hope Berlusconi will have some real guts when the G8 discusses issues pertaining to Iran.

Ginny8159
  6. AnotherSP Member

Avaaz is a real humanitarian organization that's been around for a couple of years, the site should be ok to give to. Whether or not it'll get servers out the door in time to be helpful, I have no idea.