Customize

Anti-ACTA Protest Video for Japan

Discussion in 'Freedom of Expression' started by Trev6, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Trev6 Member

It lacks subtitles because I couldn't be assed, but here's a rough translation.

Video is a mix of two different protest actions, one in September and one in October. To my knowledge, anti-ACTA/TPP rallies are still being held weekly in Tokyo. Otherwise nothing significant to report, just checking in and sharing.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Honigdachs Member

I hope this is successful, I mean japan was one of the two countries that stated all the ACTA stuff, so good luck.
  3. Trev6 Member

Unfortunately, it's been ratified in Japan. Repealing it at this point is going to take some kind of goddamn fucking miracle, but to not protest it would be like telling the bloated, ineffective, lazy, tone-deaf do-nothing national government that we approve. The public opinion of ACTA in Japan fits into one of two categories: Fuck No and Never Heard Of It.
  4. Pinkman Moderator

I don't know all the process about the international ratification, but as acta is a treaty, all the suscribing countries must adopt it in order to be established. Right?

Even more because we're talking about the Internet.

I mean, is it possible that one signing country can apply it?
  5. Trev6 Member

My understanding is that at least 6 countries need to ratify it, at which point it becomes law in those countries. Countries that have rejected ACTA are not subject to its terms or conditions. My fear is that 5 more countries vote yes.

In actual fact, the Japanese government has such a raging hard-on for ACTA, TPP, and the content mafia that they've already preemptively instituted a law (The Download Illegalization Act) that leans in the direction ACTA/TPP wants copyright law to go. It is currently on the books that knowingly downloading copyrighted content from the Internet is a criminal act, punishable by 2 years in jail. So yeah, we're already waist deep in shit here.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Trev6 Member

Not only copying, either. Ripping DVDs or bypassing DRM on any digital media can also get you a 2 year sentence. The management of a book publishing company in Tokyo got arrested for selling books with instructions on "How To Backup Your DVDs", and by a technical reading of the laws, some Linux distros can be considered "illegal software" because they contain code that allows the user to bypass DRM. Japan is fucked.
  7. Honigdachs Member

Wait, my understanding is that ACTA must be ratified by 6 Countries or Entities like the EU to come into effect.
    And Japan is the only one that actually ratified it.

(Wikipedia)

so there is hope.
  8. Pinkman Moderator

According to the wiki page, Morocco, Canada, Mexico, Australia and the US have signed acta.

View attachment 800px-Anti-Counterfeiting_Trade_Agreement_map_%28E
  9. Honigdachs Member

Not sure, but isn't there a diffrence between signing and ratifying?
    I am really not sure.
  10. Trev6 Member

I'd need to confirm, but I believe signing the treaty comes first, and ratification is the second step that finalizes the country's involvement. If that's true, then Japan is the only country so far that's sealed the deal.

Knowing the US, I'm sure they'll follow suit if we don't see the kind of backlash they got from SOPA/PIPA again. Canada and Australia aren't too different either. I heard Mexico has a lot of public resistance, but the government is good at ignoring that.

Really, all that's needed is for America, Canada, Mexico, Australia, and NZ to ratify it for it to be enforced in those countries. Throw in Morocco and South Korea, and there's enough risk of passage here to make me nervous.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Trev6 Member

12. Honigdachs Member

13. Trev6 Member

They mentioned in the article that the DPJ wants to make a clear policy difference between them and the opposition. An election needs to happen by the end of next year at the very latest, and there's a possibility that snap election could be triggered sooner. The parties are scrambling to solidify their platform and look decisive for the electorate, so the DJP jumped on TPP membership.

Which could backfire horribly, because the agriculture sector is strongly against opening themselves up to global competition. They've been protected by something like an 800% tariff on foreign imports, and TPP would wipe that out. But on the other hand, the technology sector (which is the real driving force of the Japanese economy) would like to remove trade barriers to foreign markets to help offset the punishing exchange rate between the Yen and the US Dollar.

The sad thing is, even if the DJP gamble on TPP membership and lose at the polls, the opposition probably wouldn't do things any differently once they'd been swept into power. I could easily see the LDP vocally opposing TPP during the election season, and then turning around and secretly signing into it a few days later.