Customize

"Anti-Scientology campaigners fear harassment" - The Sunday Times (Ireland)

Discussion in 'Media' started by Nataku, May 13, 2012.

1. Nataku Member

May 13th 2012

FORMER members of the Church of Scientology will hold a conference in Dublin next month to highlight the impact the movement has on followers.

The organiser is Pete Griffiths, a former director of an English Scientology mission, who says he has informed police at Dublin airport Scientologists may stage protests there against speakers arriving for the event.

Mike Rinder, a former chief spokesman for Scientology, claims when he came to Ireland in October he was confronted at the airport by seven Scientologists shouting "You are not welcome in Ireland".

The movement's followers also protested at TV3's studios, where Rinder was giving an interview, in which he claimed the Church of Scientology took money from followers by getting them to sign up to "life improvement" courses, mentally abused them, and controlled their emotions and behaviour. Rinder, who left in 2007, has admitted he intimidated and sought to discredit critics of the movement when he was in the church.

Griffiths now takes part in regular protests by Anonymous outside the church's Dublin's mission and credits the online activists for enabling defectors to join forces online. He had a "penny-drop-ping moment" when he checked out Scientology online in 2008 and now offers support to others who renounce the movement.

"We're hoping that by raising public awareness, some people who have been in Scientology for a long time will start to question what they are doing," Griffiths said. "It is brainwashing. The people who join are so keen and enthusiastic and well-meaning, but they control your emotions and rip you off by getting you to work for nothing and devote all of your time to it."

Gerard Ryan, director of Scientology's Dublin mission, said; "Our members do their best to ignore them, but their presence is intimidating. This little band has made clear it is their intention to harass and upset our members.

"Anonymous 'hactivists' are well publicised for their criminal activities the world over, including several arrests here in Ireland for hacking into the police, Fine Gael and others. Hardly a reputable source of information on the Church of Scientology".

Speakers at the conference will include Tory Christman, a former ordained minister in Scientology, who worked at one of its celebrity centres. He once complained to MTV about A South Park parody that satirised actor John Travolta, a prominent church member. Tom Cruise and Peaches Geldof are among its other devotees.

Ryan dismissed the conference as "a handful of ex-members who have not been around for years".

[IMG]
    • Like Like x 7
  2. Nataku Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. Zak McKracken Member

I think Scientologists should be encouraged to hold protest rallies at airports.
    The noisier and more disruptive, the better.

Especially at U.S. airports, where our TSA would be most happy for a little diversion.
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Zak McKracken Member

P.S. nice headline, considering how much room they gave Ryan to spew.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Anonymous Member

Really nice article.
  6. Anonymous Member

The TSA is no match for the E-meter.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Anonymous Member

There were still seven scientologists in Ireland last October? I thought Ireland was down to five. Where did the other two come from?
    • Like Like x 4
  8. Anonymous Member

I thought Peaches Geldof was unconfirmed as a member of the cult,
  9. Anonymous Member

10. Anonymous Member

8 months ago: metro.co.uk/showbiz/interviews/875915-peaches
  11. Anonymous Member

ah - thanks - peaches geldof certainly is rich enough and damaged enough to be targeted and recruited into a cult like scientology
  12. jensting Member

That should be on Youtube, shouldn't it?

Best Regards

Jens
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Random guy Member

• Like Like x 1

14. It's nice to see Tony Ortega getting Mike Rinder to open up here in this video.......

The long term effects of LRH processing are devastating, after all he's been through, first administering the abuse and later on the receiving end one would think Mike Rinder would have had enough of Hubbard's mind control.

L. Ron Hubbard's control runs deep in this subject.

Mike Rinder now chooses to promote and sell more of Hubbard's mindfuck in the free-zone and blame all of the atrocities he himself joined in on and defended for decades on David Miscavige.

Come join the Mike Rinder and Marty Rathbun independent version of Hubbard's indoctrination. Hubbard's policies in and of themselves require abuse at all levels of Scientology simply by implementing and following them.

You can trust Mike and Marty, they're not like the others? They are in a position to help end this abusive scam of L. Ron Hubbard that has ruined so many individuals and their families yet they choose to sell, sell, sell........so on source......

I hope that one day the two of them come clean on Hubbard institutional abuses for their own sake and to actually help all exes get free of Hubbard's totalitarian grip that consumes them. I'm not holding my breath.....

Free-Zone Hubbardtolgy:

Do Not Want.......

Anonymous Ireland exposing all of Hubbard/Miscavige dictated abuses:

Do Want......
    • Like Like x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. Zak McKracken Member

The Free Zone is the Bridge that will get them off The Bridge.
    But it's still a Bridge.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Anonymous Member

17. The free-zone is another bridge of lies that covers for L. Ron Hubbard's incredibly abusive policies and processes that have damaged many adherents who got involved to improve themselves and ended up totally duped and broke.

My own personal opinion is that Marty Rathbun and Mike Rinder still support both and hope to profit and reestablish their positions of power and influence within their 'reformed church' selling more of Hubbard's controlling 'tech'.

The last thing anyone who finally breaks free from Hubbard's grip is more of the same from these self-serving liars who have no credibility whatsoever, participated and covered up for Hubbard's abuses for decades. I believe it's far more harmful to blame all of the abuses on Miscavige when LRH 'ethics', policies, insane processing and much more are responsible for untold abuses of the membership in his debunked 'science' of the mind turned phony 'religion' using a religious cloaking policy to protect his big scam.
  18. Anonymous Member

The Freezone is like Nicotine gum. Bad for you in itself, but good when used for a short while to get you off the tobacco companies' wares. Quitting cold turkey just isn't an option for many.

I've noticed that the Freezone tends to be a stepping stone - only a few stay involved long term, most wake up more fully once they're away from the controlling environment of the CoS.
    • Like Like x 3

19. I agree with this to a point, but the goals of free-zone 'Tech' are not about revealing the truth to ex-scientologists but instead attempt to rope them back in to Hubbard's scam.

It's difficult for me to accept any promotion of LRH but you bring up very valid points in the process of healing for exes.

I don't think that the free-zone is simply a harmless waystation either. L. Ron Hubbard's 'scriptures' (including his abusive policies that require abuse of others simply by following them) can never be altered in any way per LRH himself.

I know that it takes varying amounts of time for ex-scientologists to escape from the grip Hubbard's controlling 'Tech' has on them after years of endless processing and believing in 'Entheta' and his SP/PTS policies that are so harmful.

I'm opposed to people like Rathbun and Rinder trying to capitalize on the situation by praising LRH endlessly and blaming all of the ills of Scientology on David Miscavige on their censored website for their own agenda.

There's still boatloads of money in property and Scientology bank accounts that could be used to attempt and 'reform' Scientology once Miscavige is gone.

These two should be seeking help instead of offering it, they are both victims and perpetrators at the same time, imho.

Sadly, many exes cling to LRH 'Tech' despite overwhelming evidence of its harmful and destructive influence.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Intelligence Member

I'm booked - - going for one week in Ireland and ?:) - and I don't give a "Rat's-Ass" about
    any harassment,..., LOL :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  21. Intelligence Member

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. booski Member

How insulting to Tory Christman to be refered to in the article as a HE! ;)

*clap* *clap* *clap* Irish Press :D

"Speakers at the conference will include Tory Christman, a former ordained minister in Scientology, who worked at one of its celebrity centres. He once complained to MTV about A South Park parody that satirised actor John Travolta, a prominent church member. Tom Cruise and Peaches Geldof are among its other devotees."
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Anonymous Member

My kid saw Tory on YouTube and asked me if it was a man in a wig. So the mistake is understandable.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1