Customize

[Apr 9, 2011] Anonymous vs Scientology Rally (Chicago, IL,)

Discussion in 'Planning' started by Strong Strength, Mar 17, 2011.

1. April showers, OT powers:
    Chicago in action again!

3441002814_e04f9d0c9b_z.jpg

Here's what it's looking like so far. Info is subject to change as more stuff gets ironed out.

Date: Saturday, April 9, 2011
    Time: TBD; so far 1 p.m. or so is winning the vote. We typically go for 3 hours or so.
    Location: At or near the Scientology building, 3011 N. Lincoln Ave. (The address is not 3017 - that's just something I had to punch into the event header to make the map show the correct spot.)

Important: we are in the middle of a big legal tangle but should now have the path cleared for protesting in front of their building. For starting out, we usually we gather up at the corner of the nearby 6-way intersection of Lincoln, Wellington, & Southport in front of St. Alphonsus church. That spot will be our fall-back point if for some reason the police are still insisting we can't be in front of the org. We'll have to see what happens on event day. If you're new, show up at the area, find your fellow anons, and we'll tell you what's going on.

Expect lots of police calls from crying Scientologists.

w8rqqv.png

Bring: Weather-appropriate gear (rainwear, sunblock, comfortable footwear), signs, fliers, cameras, friends, etc. And a mask, scarf, bandana, or disguise if you roll that way. Expect to be photographed by the Scientologists and keep a cool head if they try any malarkey. We have plenty of extra signs and fliers which you're welcome to borrow as long as you handle them in a way which isn't going to damage them.

Please use this thread for anything related to the event: planning, questions, shooting the breeze, whatever. The details of the event (location, starting time, built-in map, etc.) will be updated as things are collectively worked out.

Have fun!
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Again, I think our first hurdle to clear is going to be to figuring out what the location is gonna be for this month.

Lately, we've kinda been alternating by month at Millennium Park and the Scientology building up on Lincoln Ave. But I know there are people who feel strongly about going to one or the other, so if you have a preference, please share it (even if you're in the minority). I'm hoping we can work out some sort of compromise that everyone's okay with.
  3. Darth Xander Member

My vote is for the Org in order to make one final determination before I go ahead and file something.
  4. Paladin Member

After dealing with Scientology handlers and being surrounded by so many Scientologists during our protests in Clearwater in March, going to Millennium Park would be relaxing and refreshing. However, I know my friend Xander wants to go to the Org to test something as part of his challenge to the 150-foot protest law. So my vote is for the Org.
  5. anonymous612 Member

Man, I'm gonna need to make up a bowl of popcorn for this postgame, aren't I?
  6. Paladin Member

Yes, standing in front of the Chicago Org may include some police drama. But our cameraman is careful about filming them. So you kinda need to be there to get the full show.
  7. Darth Xander Member

Hate to disappoint you, but probably not. Just want to get them to chase us away from the Org just one more time (or if that tool Edeling is working, twice). Then it will be all set.
  8. Paladin Member

Hey! I like Officer Edeling. I think he is entertaining enough for a bowl of popcorn.
  9. anonymous612 Member

That's no fun! D:
  10. Darth Xander Member

I'll put up a thread on subsequent court proceedings. That should be very entertaining.
  11. Xenu Is Lord Member

Not sure why it is still an issue? Judge threw a case out. Did he not go on record as to why? A copy in hand might help. Did the police Dept not say it was not going to enforce this? Any written record? Can someone get them to put it in writing?

If all above is true then let me get this straight, it all changes at the whim of an on site officer because they don't want to deal with the bitching of the cult?
  12. Darth Xander Member

Judge didn't throw case out; city dropped citation. Copy of dismissal didn't help last time we were there.

I don't want to give away the surprise, but something in writing will be forthcoming. Its part of the reason I want to hit the Org in April.
  13. anonymous612 Member

I suppose I'll have to make do...
  14. Paladin Member

The police were not going to enforce the law at a gay/lesbian protest at a Catholic church according to an article before the protest. After the protest, the news reported that the protesters were in front of the church BETWEEN worship services. This does not help us with CO$ because there is no BETWEEN services with them.

Yes, the police are reluctant to enforce the law on us. I believe they chase us away to stop CO$ from crying to them.
  15. Hmm, I'd think it still helps us a lot. Even though the LGBT right-to-marry thing didn't end up protesting during a service, the Chicago PD went on record saying they wouldn't be enforcing the 150' law even if they had been. I would think that sets some sort of precedent.

We had one, but they didn't even bother to look at it. Many of the cops don't give a crap about looking at our docs, they just seem annoyed with the cult bitching at them all the time, arbitrarily make up rules on the spot, and then tell us to go away or be arrested.

S'okay, though, we're working on it. 2ymukab.gif
  16. Dra Member

I'll be there with cookies wherever you guys decide. :)
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Dra Member

Almost as good as our singing last time at the org...

• Like Like x 1
  18. amaX Member

Loved the Chicago OOT's! They were awesome. Open invite for every Chicago Anon to join us in Clearwater. Cookies are waitin' for y'all!
    Can't wait to read the post game of this next Chitown protest.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. anonymous612 Member

Cookies are waiting as long as you don't want walnuts. :<
  20. Darth Xander Member

Pecans! I meant pecans. And April will be epic for me. April 9th raid in Chicago, followed by an April 16th raid in Clearwater. Truly, life is good.
  21. anonymous612 Member

I'm going to have to find cookies with walnuts in them just to be trolly.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Anyone prefer Millennium Park this month? Anyone? ...Bueller?

I was thinking maybe we could do a double this month if there was a big split on where people preferred to go - we could do something like Millennium Park earlier and the org later. Also, if people are thinking about going to the park at all, it wouldn't hurt if we started getting our ducks in a row sooner rather than later, so we can start doing stuff like RSVP'ing there.

So far it's all org though. If you want something else, please speak up soon!
  23. manomanom Member

As this will be my first protest (along with the other three that're coming with me), I'm more leaning towards being at the org. Something appealing about being right in their teeth. I'm sure the rest of my party would agree with me.
    • Like Like x 1
  24. JohnnyRUClear Member

sockpuppetsagree.jpg
    • Like Like x 5
  25. Join date: May 18, 2009 March 22, 2011

So interesting.
  26. 'Sup guys! Just FYI in case you weren't aware, if we're at the org, there's a good chance we'll be spending some or all of the time at the nearest street corner instead of in front of the building itself. There is a massive legal tangle that probably needs more time to get resolved. (See our video from February for more info too.) Just don't want you guys to be going into this one with the wrong idea.

Rock out & bring those buddies!
    • Like Like x 1
  27. anonymous612 Member

Lmao, you troublemakers.
  28. Darth Xander Member

Its all Strong Strengthe and Paladin. And Dra. Those are the troublemakers.
  29. Dra Member

Yep! I'm a definite troublemaker ;P I get everyone hyped up on sugar...

<---- bad influence
  30. Sooo, what time are we kicking this thing off at the org then? Noon? 1?
  31. For those out there lurking this thread, sitting on the fence, consider this.

The Scientologists probably think they've succeeded in getting us away from the org. They've rode the combination of this poorly-written law and police confusion as hard as they can, and your free speech is at risk, because they're close to achieving what every totalitarian organization would love to have: a total lockdown on direct criticism via demonstrations. They think if they just keep it up, we'll get discouraged and give up.

You gonna just sit there and let them get away with this fascist shit?

&quot;You want to know what happens when you clear everybody in that neighborhood, the only thing that [Scientology] center can become used for is a political center. Because by the time you've done all this, you are the government... Once the world is Clear - a nation, a state, a city or a village - the Scientology-organization in the area becomes its government! And once this has taken place the only policy accepted as valid is Scientology policy.&quot;
    - L. Ron Hubbard, &quot;Future Org Trends&quot; lecture, January 9th, 1962

166gcbt.jpg

What do YOU say, CHICAGO?

(Yeah, Godwin's Law in this thread, I went there!)
    (This post was mostly a joke, by the way - people who take this thing too seriously are lol.)
    • Like Like x 1
  32. anonk6 Member

I know I'm late to the game, but, given one of the many issues we take with Co$ is its disregard for the welfare of its workers, couldn't we assert that our purpose is a labor dispute (we don't have to be employees to take this position)? Then according to http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway....?f=templates$fn=altmain-nf.htm$3.0#JD_8-4-010, then all is peachy keen. Meh, I'm not a lawyer. I should read these things before I post them.

In any case, I'll be there, wherever we go. I may bring a few signs of my own creation. What do you think of "L. Ron Hubbard: Prophet for Profit"?
    • Like Like x 2
  33. Paladin Member

I plan to be there around 1pm.
  34. warning: long post coming, recommend skipping the textwalls

In mid-2010, we had some docs of the labor disputes out in California (the Headleys et al.), but most of the officers didn't seem to give a crap about it vis-a-vis our protests, presumably because the suits were from different states and didn't involve us personally. Now, if you went to the org with a sign that said something like,

FAIR WAGES FOR
    SCIENTOLOGY
    STAFF NOW

then maybe things get interesting. Assuming you're fortunate enough to get a responding cop that even bothers to listen to you after being chewed out for a half-hour by the cult, the Scientologists would probably try to counter with the idea that they aren't workers, they're religious volunteers (despite having to sign staff contracts) and derka derka derka. It's easy to make up excuses when you're playing the religious cloaking angle like them.

Sooo, I dunno what would happen. Even if the labor dispute angle worked, I personally would not be satisfied until this law is no longer being enforced at the org on Saturdays, with no exceptions. There's a reason that virtually no major U.S. cities don't have this law - it's unnecessary and unconstitutional because it places religious speech above demonstrators' speech. And even if it were constitutional, it is terribly written, because there is nothing to stop a shady business from playing the religion card, and the blanket ban on "services" of any type (including ringing up stuff at the cash register or supposed self-help courses, like Scientology is doing) is not within the spirit of the law.

Catchy. But consider, maybe, that the vast majority of the public has no idea who Hubbard is, so they probably won't understand your sign completely. The message is probably more at home in front of the org, but if you're holding that sign there, then you probably aren't in the spirit of airing a labor dispute. That's not to say we're won't be able to be in front of the org - it's a big mess of confusion every month - but as we've yet to be able to protest there the whole duration without being moved yet, I wouldn't count on it.
  35. Following on the heels of the (joke) Hitler post, the spam of WW2 propapanda posters must continue.

15frayp.jpg

Offer your services
    to your SCIENTOLOGY PROTEST
  36. anonymous612 Member

They receive a salary. A full, actual salary, not just room and board or repayment for things purchased for the organization.
  37. Can we get a last call on location preference for this month? It looks like we're headed to the org, but if there was a sudden big groundswell of support for the park, maybe we could do a double.

Any other votes on the starting time?

Also...

[IMG]

OURS... to fight for
  38. Darth Xander Member

The answer to The Question is the Org dude. Need just one more chase away. Just one more...
    • Like Like x 2
  39. Anonymous Member

Great job guys!!

Just one question: Does anyone know who in the hell is "Luna", "Tinkerbell" and "Darr"?