Customize

Aus Senate 2nd vote on inquiry - Thurs 18 March

Discussion in 'Senator Xenophon And Scientology' started by Sponge, Mar 10, 2010.

1. PodPeople Member

Re: Aus Senate 2nd vote on inquiry - Thurs 18 March

Very promising. Switching from ways to say no, to tell me you're solution, then to bring this to justice. Make new laws, enforce current ones, whatever.
    Oh, and "I'm not going away".
  2. Anonymous Member

Yes, the entire video is being recorded.
  3. Anonymous Member

wtf happens there? do they vote? did the ones entering (and voting) hear what was said?
  4. anonhuff Member

I have two questions:

1) What does "fob off" mean? reference: "I don't mean to fob nameofperson off, but blah blah" heard senator evans use the phrase

2) what does "division required" mean? I'm watching it and it's some wierd musical chairs?
  5. themadhair Member

Someone explain division plox
  6. Anonymous Member

Senator Nick Xenophon:

"I'm not going away"
  7. Sponge Member

6 to 33. Motion not carried.
  8. themadhair Member

To fob someone of is to make misleading excuses for. Usually used to describe when someone is bullshitting you.
  9. Sponge Member

Parliament of Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  10. sitnoir Member

That's what the vote is called. Not all Senators are in the house for senate meetings. When a division is called they ring bells throughout parliament house and basically 'call' all the senators back in, shut them in and do the vote.

Was out front Parliament House this morning and managed to catch Nick Xenophon speaking to a number of people out there, from scientology and a lot of other fundamentalist christian cults. There was a conference of these issues in Brisbane last week so a lot of participants of that were there. All in all, he's VERY determined about this. One thing that was agreed on is that we really need to educate the community about these issues, because a lot of people seem to think it's 'not that big a deal.'
  11. ryangiggs Member

Stopped uploading audio, as someone mentioned earlier that vid is being recorded.

Voted down, but things moving slowly forward I believe.
    Good.
  12. PodPeople Member

So, not clear on Abetz recommend about ombudsman investigating hours and wages of staff. Will that definitely happen now?

Abetz also mentioned a tax authority (didn't get exactly what title he said) examining sci's books! Will that definitely happen or how can it happen. All I understood was that it wouldn't take an inquiry.

Other ares, Sen Xenuphon is saying there needs to be an inquiry so that laws already in existence are enforced, and new laws made where they don't.

Seems like Evans and Abetz had some ripe comments about sci. Overall, Sen Xenuphone's message was I'll keep coming back until inquiry agreed upon or other avenues are suggested that will do the job. Hoping this is incentive for all members to actually work on it and come up with something.
  13. TinyDancer Member

To fob someone off means to give them pat answers that don't really address their issues.
  14. Anon123456 Member

i thought it went well. i didnt expect the vote to go through. but now people are starting to get pissed about the Gov. picking and choosing what problems to deal with. IMHO the blond lady who came after xenophone had more of an impact then he did. she was fired up. thats how i like my senators.
  15. Anon123456 Member

he said there would be follow up.
  16. Anonymous Member

Scientology inquiry fails again - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

NEXT VOTE WILL BE IN MAY!
  17. Anonymous Member

Senate rejects Scientology inquiry
  18. exOT8Michael Member

LOL @ Scientology and Fail in the headlines.

This matter has more legs than a millipede.
  19. El Diablo Member

Didn't sleep very well and woke up to question time in the House of Reps on the radio. Missed all the excitement. Sounds like the result was predictably in the negative, yet promising. I read in this thread that someone captured the video, so if/when you post it I'll just have to pretend I woke up in the AM and I'm watching it live. :p

Not surprised that Senator Milne rocked. She's one feisty lady! And Abetz is always a wanker...no surprises there either. I'll be looking forward to watching that and/or reading the hansard.
  20. Re: Aus Senate 2nd vote on inquiry - Thurs 18 March

Interesting that Rudd seems to have changed his feelings on disconnection and cults. He apparently spoke out against them in 2007 when it became apparent that Prime Minister Howard's govt had taken money from the Exclusive Brethren.

From the Australian August 22, 2007

And now why Liberal Govt will not support.
    I can see why Liberal govt (now out of power) doesn't want to take a position against Scientology, but you've really got to wonder, is Rudd now taking money from the exclusive brethren? Or Scientology? That's quite a turnaround.
  21. EyeOnSci Member

Excellent points. Quite depressing when doing the right thing is completely obscured by politics and special interests, honed by manipulators such as these despicable cults. Humans still have a long way to go to become truly civilized.
  22. Belladonna Member

Was this posted yet? Playing right now
    Blog: Your views on Scientology 3AW 693 News Talk

Edit - I imagine it probably was. Slowpoke, and all that.
  23. mnql1 Member

Video from the March 28, 2010 session of the Senate of Australia

Video from the March 28, 2010 session of the Senate of Australia:

Scientology Inquiry Debate in Australia, March 18, 2010 (1/10)

Scientology Inquiry Debate in Australia, March 18, 2010 (2/10)

Scientology Inquiry Debate in Australia, March 18, 2010 (3/10)

Scientology Inquiry Debate in Australia, March 18, 2010 (4/10)

Scientology Inquiry Debate in Australia, March 18, 2010 (6/10)

Scientology Inquiry Debate in Australia, March 18, 2010 (7/10)

Scientology Inquiry Debate in Australia, March 18, 2010 (8/10)

Scientology Inquiry Debate in Australia, March 18, 2010 (9/10)

Scientology Inquiry Debate in Australia, March 18, 2010 (10/10)
  24. Anonymous Member

The motion was defeated 33 votes to 6, one abstaining.
  25. Anonymous Member

Excerpts from various news articles:

"Government Senate leader Chris Evans said he was no fan of the Church of Scientology." ref

I am no fan of the Church of Scientology but...

Chris Evans: "It is very dangerous thing for us to have what could be seen as a witch hunt against an individual organisation" ref

On the other hand, Scientology is engaged in an ongoing, real witch hunt against "evil SPs" (whoever impedes the spread of Scientology) on a worldwide scale, and the end justifies the mean, i.e. lies and deceit is all ok (like, "Narconon is not Scientology", or Chris Brightmore infiltrating GMC in order to give an edge to Scientology in Scientology vs. "teh evil psychs", etc.)

"Nationals Senator Nigel Scullion said he supported the inquiry but would not be crossing the floor to vote for it without his colleagues' support." ref

And this is one of the top reasons why I despise politics: politicians' allegiance to their party is more important than their allegiance to the people they represent.
  26. Anonymous Member

Thanks mnql1 for linking to these videos.

Just summarizing the opposing arguments here as I see them:

- these matters are for the police
    - this is not a matter for the senate
    - no one particular organization should be investigated by the senate else this would mean going down a dangerous route, possibly to abusing the Senate process for particular interests of Senate members
    - if this is investigated, then the wilderness organization should be investigated as well or political parties when fromer Senators leave them and are being "harassed" (well, this is a pretty ridiculous comparison if you know about "fair game" and I think Senator Abetz in particular doesn't really have an idea of the magnitude of the problem at hand)
    - an inquiry would amount to listening to "he said, she said"
    - an inquiry could not be held fairly and might easily turn into a witch hunt
    - there are other avenues to go to such as ombudspeople
    - "this is not the way forward"

I'm not to address all or most of them other than saying there is some value in that, but there are also strong arguments against them and more arguments in support. Many of them have been brought forward by Xenophon. I'd also like to add that this debate has been invaluable in itself. It's not just Xenophon, people from different political parties have discussed these issues in parliaments and all have stated their opposition to these practices in Scientology if the allegations are indeed true.
  27. Anonymous Member

protesting parliament for enquiry could prove a usefull tool to inform parliament members, when protesters are outside it is the will of the people that represents itself there, and the government must serve it's people,as anonymous congregate outside a place of protest we are protecting people from the practices of the cult, why stop at only congregating at the church why not also congregate at parliament to warn the parlemantarians of the practices of the cult. We should support Xenephon as he has greatly supported and abbeted our cause.
  28. El Diablo Member

Thanks so much for the vids! Guess I did end up watching them in the AM. :p
  29. Anonymous Member

30. Anonymous Member

picture21bw.png
  31. Anonymous Member

32. Pyro Member

I was there yesterday with the exes.
    I tell you they work their butts off for this. All day they where at it, some drove to Canberra overnight to be there.

I tell you they are committed like no one else and the effect they are having is huge. Anyone to call them keyboard worriers is talking out of their arse.

Pyro
  33. Anonymous Member

"Mr Rudd told the Seven Network on Friday he would take further advice on whether criminal and other allegations could be dealt with separately.

"I've just got to be very careful about how you... shine a light on a problem, deal with it, but at the same time don't interfere with criminal justice matters," he said."
  34. PodPeople Member

35. Anonymous Member

It is a very good article that explains the double standard that is blocking the inquiry - Senate in Australia Rejects Inquiry Into Scientology
  36. anonhuff Member

Is it not possible for a senate inquiry to go "ok we found out x, y and z from what we feel are credible witnesses, we are referring our findings to law_enforcement_branch01" and then have the appropriate law enforcement agencies take action with the pressure and public scrutiny of a senate inquiry?

Why are the senators making it sound like there is no grey area, it is either judge/jury/executioner or they won't touch it officially with a 1 foot pole (1 foot because that's all the farther tiny dwarf miscavige's arms will swing)?
  37. Anonymous Member

They are just making excuses. They do not actually believe the arguments they are making. If you look at previous Senate Inquiries and who supported them it is clear they are not being honest about why they oppose an inquiry.

Senate in Australia Rejects Inquiry Into Scientology

^this is a very good op-ed that sheds light on the political bullshit that is actually blocking the inquiry.
  38. anonhuff Member

Thanks. Figuring out how my own country's government works is hard enough, can't keep track of two.
  39. Anonymous Member

Voting in Australia is very different to the US. Parties tend to vote along party lines - they rarely break ranks. It does happen, mostly on issues of conscience. For now, there are plenty of Senators in the ranks who have voted "no" this time, but are applying pressure within the parties.

Stay tuned.
  40. Scythe Member

this is gold:

OT powers at work.