Customize

Australia’s abc airs a disturbing story about scientology’s treatment of a mentally ill young woman

Discussion in 'Media' started by Anonymous, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Anonymous Member

Church of Scientology denies holding woman in isolation

TV news report from Australia.

http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2013/s3698162.htm

The Church Of Scientology in Sydney has been accused of holding a young Taiwanese woman hostage after she suffered a mental breakdown. The Church of Scientology denies the allegations.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. another123 Member

lisa mcpherson 2.0
    • Like Like x 5
  3. fishypants Moderator

Well, she isn't dead.

Which is nice.
    • Like Like x 5
  4. amaX Member

You pieces of shit. Another introspection rundown?
    • Like Like x 4
  5. amaX Member

Martine Boublil 2.0
    • Like Like x 3
  6. fishypants Moderator

you-lie-i-hate-liars.jpg

This Steve Cannane. I like the cut of his jib.

• Like Like x 8
  7. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  8. Anonymous Member

I LOVE THIS GUY. Our new one man foot bullet firing squad. Keep 'em coming.

gibson-defamation-lawyer-200x0.jpg
    • Like Like x 6
  9. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 2
  10. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  11. Anonymous Member

Has anyone fired this over to Tobin and Childs?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Anonymous Member

And here is the youtube video:
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Anonymous Member

There was a young man from Taiwan who showed up here (or at least his plea for help did) awhile back. I wonder if this is the same case.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. DeathHamster Member

• Like Like x 2
  15. Anonymous Member

Yes. It is a relief that the story finally got out. Notice at the end how the cult try to suppress the story. The cult somehow took the girl without the family's knowledge, went to a notary office, make her sign a declaration that she denies whatever the program said, and she is currently happy receiving scn service. It may well be a criminal case in other countries, including the notary.
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Wormwood Member

• Like Like x 1
  17. DeathHamster Member

Sad, but hopefully this will end up frying Scientology's Taiwan to Australia recruitment pipeline.

Their lawyer looks like he has this thought-balloon: "Am I really defending these shites? God, sometimes I really hate being a lawyer."
    • Like Like x 4
  18. raboon Member

To be fair, holding young Taiwanese women prisoner is something I'm sure we've all thought about doing at least a few times.
    raboon
    This message by raboon has been hidden due to negative ratings. (Show message)
    • Dislike Dislike x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  19. fishypants Moderator

Interesting also that they're using a wog lawyer as their public spokesperson.

This represents a change of PR approach.
  20. Anonymous Member

The lawyer basically said, "The cult told me what to say. They didn't tell me this so it is false.".

Is Sei Broadhurst related to Nick Broadhurst?
  21. DeathHamster Member

It's not PR, it's damage-control firewalling. Their lawyer can only say what he's been told, has client confidentiality protection, and since he's not an official spokesperson, it doesn't bind them to anything.
    • Like Like x 3
  22. Hopefully the Tai press have picked this story up.
  23. fishypants Moderator

Actually what he said was

which I thought was rather telling. "On my instructions, that's not the case" = "if so then they're lying to me too".

I agree that's what's happening, although I'd call that a form of PR too.
    It's a tactic which isn't Hubbard-approved, IIRC. Therefore a slightly more clever one than those they usually employ.
    • Like Like x 3
  24. DeathHamster Member

When their lawyer is covering his ass too...

be_prepared_shit_storm.png
    • Like Like x 3
  25. fishypants Moderator

Exactly. "Well, we don't know one way or the other, Steven" is not remotely the same thing as "that's not true".
    • Like Like x 2
  26. Anonymous Member

The cult should starting praying that the family don't go to the Taiwanese media. They could have, in additional to the Australian media. The way the cult make the daughter sign an declaration without family permission is one of the most disastrous handling.
    • Like Like x 1
  27. DeathHamster Member

Is this the original thread or just related:
    https://whyweprotest.net/community/...n-sea-org-headquarter-dundas-australia.104880
    • Like Like x 5
  28. RightOn Member

fuckers! look at the condition of this girl!
    • Like Like x 1
  29. RightOn Member

save that vid before it disapears and spread far and wide
    enjoy the RPF Mei Tsu!
    • Like Like x 1
  30. Highest quality youtube:

31. DeathHamster Member

I've said it before...

Every time that I'm reading an ex's story, I usually notice that they mention in passing someone that went PTS type 3 (mentally unstable), was taken away, and they never saw them again. It always bothered me because it seemed to happen a lot, and there was no way to find out what happened to these people.

So. This is what happened to one of those people.
    • Like Like x 4
  32. RightOn Member

I added her to the list since she told medical staff she was held hostage by Scientology.
    This story makes me rage. Alll of Taiwan and it's officials need to hear thie story
    • Like Like x 2
  33. Anonymous Member

[IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  34. DeathHamster Member

fify.

What kind of poop visa are they using to import these people into Australia (possibly other countries)?
    • Like Like x 1
  35. DeathHamster Member

• Like Like x 1
  36. His mouth says "NO NO NO!"

but the rest of him says "YES YES YES. I AM A LIAR. I DISGUST MYSELF."

16hujbd.jpg
  37. Missfit Member

my blood fucking boils....
    • Like Like x 1
  38. anon walker Moderator

Yes.
    More accurate comparison than McPherson, because Boublil didn't die.
  39. Gottabrain Member

Yes - and we are working on getting the Taiwan Embassy (in Taiwan) and Taiwan media to air this.

It's a horrible story. It really happened. Alice went from normal, ambitious college student working part-time in a library to seriously mentally ill after only 3 months in the Sea Org here in Sydney. Her life is ruined.

I am SO glad this story finally made it. Steve Cannene did a tremendous job. He had to cut me and Kooka's interviews, but the bonus was - he has the family interviews, which were far more needed.

I visited Alice for about two weeks in the first hospital, and less than a week in the second (by then her brother was there, and the doctor was only allowing him to visit).

Yes, she was diagnosed with a serious mental illness. She had good days and bad days when she was first admitted to the hospital. Some days she spoke and understood simple written English very well. Other days it was as if she was in her own world and all I could do was hold her hand and be her friend.

However, she went downhill rapidly and became much worse by the time she was released to family and has not improved since. From the look of it, she's only gotten progressively worse.

Back then, when she still had days she was sharp, Alice stated directly to me, her brother and Kooka that she wanted to go to the police and report what the Church of Scientology did to her. Alice did report this to the AFP while she was in Australia. She is - for all intents and purposes - an ex who has spoken out.

On one of the days she was sharp, I printed out Phil de Fontenay's statement of why he left the Church of Scientology and she read it and wanted to know more. She didn't stay sharp, however.

Alice gets confused at times. She is not mentally stable (as her father says). She is in no position to sign any sort of legal documentation and hasn't been since her escape from Dundas. I was angry and shocked at how low the Church of Scientology would go - kidnapping (IMO) a seriously mentally ill person and coercing her to sign a statement? When she was less ill, she and her brother wanted to prosecute.

Poor Alice. Her life is ruined, her family must bear the burden of her care now for the rest of her life. I hope they sue COS for millions.

How does that saying go - you become what you resist? Funny - the Church of Scientology has become the Psychiatry of the 50's and 60's, locking up and abusing the mentally ill and even coercing them as if they have no rights. Like Lisa.

I hope Alice gets better some day. It isn't likely, but I can still hope. Seeing her and visiting her and knowing her family and the tragedy COS brought upon them all just gutted me.

Thanks to Steve Cannene for running the story, Grainne (who assisted each of us daily with advices and even clothing for Alice when she was in the hospital and didn't even have her things back from COS yet) and Kooka for all their help (Kooka put up Alice and her brother for weeks), to Paul (Scooter) and Karen De la Carriere and all the others who helped supply references, translators, testimonies and support so this story could get told.
    • Like Like x 23
  40. Anonymous Member

Thank you all for everything you did to help this poor girl. This just broke my heart.
    • Like Like x 3