Customize

Australian Scientology doco "The Ex-Files" wins Gold World Medal

Discussion in 'Media' started by Zhent, May 20, 2011.

1. Zhent Member

The New York Festivals (http://www.newyorkfestivals.com/) has awarded last years epic Four Corners doco about Scientology a 2011 Gold World Medal for Best Investigative Report!

Here is the relevant megathread - http://forums.whyweprotest.net/threads/abcs-four-corners-scientology-the-ex-files.55675/

Dox here: http://www.newyorkfestivals.com/res/pdf/2011TVFWinners.pdf

Choke it down OSA!

Edit: On a sadder note, this very doco was just due to air in New Zealand but it was apparently pulled last minute due to Scientology legal threats. Some details here: http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...on-Scientology&p=577630&viewfull=1#post577630
    Possibly 'poons will be in order.
    • Like Like x 5
  2. thefatman Member

AUSTRALIA! FUCK YEAH! C'MON TO TROLL THE MOTHERFUCKING CULT YEAH!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ann O'Nymous Member

4. Zhent Member

Ok...

A more sensible response, IMHO.
  5. thefatman Member

I like my nonsensical responses. Is there an email for the NZ station so we can poon them?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Orson Member

Nice to see excellent journalism garner the recognition it deserves. The chilling effect scientology used to impose on reporters seems to have all but disappeared given the excellent reporting in recent years by Four Corners, Today Tonight, CNN, Nightline, NYTimes, BBC (fuck yeah John Sweeney), New Yorker (fuck yeah Lawrence Wright), St. Petersburg Times, the great German reports and on and on.
  7. xenubarb Member

Well I'll be. Scrounging around that article, I learned that NZ yanked Greenpeace's tax exemption due to illegal activities from that group.
    You want illegal activities, NZ? We can help you with that....got 'em all written down.
  8. Sponge Member

So what does new Zealand have in it's laws that should make the TV company more fearful of a lawsuit than in Australia when nobody has been sued because of its content in all the time since this award winning documentary has been broadcast in Australia?

In fact, when was the last time the cult actually took a TV company all the way to court over a documentary, or even applied to a judge for an injunction?

Or is it just over-sensitive media company lawyers trying to justify their existence?
  9. Anonymous Member

Hopefully folk keep an eye on this
  10. Anonymous Member

11. This is a ludicurous,
    That such a "...religion..." would pull out a scheduled documentary; telling it's awful lies and exposes the real truth within this... Just to keep one of our compatriots mouths shut.
    This is such BS, that I not only bite my thumb at these legal dumbasses and flip them the "Bald Eagle"... But I ensist that this documentary is shown on Prime TV no matter what, AT ANY COST DOES NZ HAVE THE RIGHT TO KNOW ABOUT SCIENTOLOGY AND IT'S AWFUL TRUTH!
  12. Anonymous Member

Can the doco be uploaded to Youtube with "Banned From New Zealand" in the title, and sent to everyone with NZ as their home country?

Nothing guarantees more viewers than banning something, just ask Tom Cruise.
    • Like Like x 4
  13. RightOn Member

very cool
  14. Anonymous Member

The cult took an NZ tv station (can't remember which one) and the production company to court over the documentary "How to Spot A Cult" a few years back. The cult lost and the report was broadcast.
  15. Sponge Member

It was only two years back when that doco was broadcast (TV3) and I don't remember a lawsuit. Was that an actual lawsuit or are you talking about a threat of a lawsuit or an injunction that was sucessfully challenged or was it the cult's failed complaint to the Broadcasting Standards Authority?