Customize

Autism and Viny Flooring?

Discussion in 'Jett Travolta' started by Shinythings, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Shinythings Member

2. Mutante Member

Re: Autism and Viny Flooring?

Kinda close ... if you substitute every noun with an alternative.
  3. Ramona Member

This is the kind of "study" that should not be reported. You might as well have an article saying that "Children whose homes had a blue mailbox were more likely to have autism than children whose homes had a red mailbox." You cannot make a judgment based on this theory. At most, scientists reading this would merely raise an eyebrow and say O RLY? and then perhaps prepare some experiments to test the theory, after which there would need to be a rigorous systematic review of these experiments.

4. Shinythings Member

Noun Substitution Tech. Reach it at OT V for only 600,000 US$.

Get on the bridge to Total Freedom now!
  5. Herro Member

The researchers themselves even said that it was too early to draw conclusions from what they found. They said it was interesting, but not conclusive. You're right, stuff like this should not be reported as "study finds link between vinyl flooring and autism."
  6. LocalSP Member

Was this post started by Jenny McCarthy? First it was the Vaccinations and then when that was shot down now it's vinyl flooring.
  7. Voland Member

YOUR A FREAKING NOOB.... it was proven that orange blue or black mail boxes cause increased chances of autism.. also rugs and toaster also cause autism.. and uhh floors.. yeah and stukko pnales also cause it and uhh.... stuff causes it... yeah lets list more stuff.
  8. Yoni Alter Member

I don't generally go to Slashdot for legitimate medical theories. I'm not saying they don't have them; I'm saying it's not a place I would look. I would look on like an autism awareness website or something.
  9. Ramona Member

Autism awareness sites CAN be full of nonsense, though. For consumers, I recommend sites like this:
    MedlinePlus Health Information from the National Library of Medicine

10. Erra Member

I saw that article on SD and KNEW it would end up here because of some stupid fucker.

What a totally pointless thread
  11. Yoni Alter Member

To be completely accurate, my doctors tell me to stay away from the internet for the most part, and they're usually right. I only use it to look up encyclopedic knowledge (what a drug's composed of, how a disease advances). Drugs.com lets you check all of your drugs to see if they conflict, and every single one of my drugs comes up as a conflict drug (meaning, the two should not be taken together) except for the two drugs that ARE conflict drugs and cause me to freak out when I accidentally take them on the same day.
  12. Re: Autism and Viny Flooring?

Slashdot is dead.
  13. NotMike Member

I strongly disagree. People find the study interesting. People getting excited about science is a great thing. But along with studies like this, there needs to be a strong emphasis from the reporter explaining the difference between correlation & causation.
  14. Re: Autism and Viny Flooring?

eating vinyl flooring is more a symptom than a cause

of something strange
  15. enturbulina Member

16. Relyt Member

I think the part of the article that says 'far from conclusive' should be a hint to how legit this sounds.
  17. fotoanon Member

http://jennymccarthybodycount.com

Just sayin'
  18. LocalSP Member