Customize

Barrett Brown: Threats To FBI & Raid by FBI

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by Anonymous, Sep 11, 2012.

1. The Wrong Guy Member

The Barrett Brown Review of Arts and Letters and Prison: I Tried To Eat a Mouse But It Didn’t Work

By Barrett Brown

Three weeks ago, I was sentenced to prison, which in some ways was a great relief, as federal prison is said to be much nicer than the jail holding units and temporary detention centers where I have spent the last two and a half years of my life. And, really, I feel like I’ve done the whole “jail thing” by this point and can thus sort of cross that off my list. Now I’m jotting down all the touristy activities I hope to accomplish during my “real” prison sentence:

Continued here:
    http://frontburner.dmagazine.com/20...son-i-tried-to-eat-a-mouse-but-it-didnt-work/
    • Like Like x 4

2. I can just imagine him doing that. LOL :p He's a funny fucking guy.
  3. Disambiguation Global Moderator

It's Barrett Brown at his best, including reading Henry Kissinger's memoirs to a cell mate with "Game over" tattooed on the knuckles.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. rof Member

They discuss the case on Canadian radio.

http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/episode/2015/02/19/barrett-brown-case-crackdown/
    • Like Like x 4
  5. meep meep Member

6. rof Member

• Like Like x 2
  7. meep meep Member

• Like Like x 1
  8. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  9. meep meep Member

Otherwise he will be a slave- employee to these people who will use his skills for there own ends and if he quits or is fired it will be a catastrophe for him. He was arrested/ convicted because of threats to the FBI. The $$ is just revenge
    • Like Like x 1
  10. rof Member

• Like Like x 2
  11. Barrett Brown Explains Why He Is In Prison For Doing His Job

12. Anonymous Member

Statement On The Suspension Of Barrett Brown's E-Mail Access And BOP Retaliation

An hour or so after having used the system to contact a journalist about potential BOP wrongdoing, Barrett Brown’s access to the TRULINCS prisoner e-mail system was restricted, for a full year until April 2016, without explanation.

This is contrary to the BOP’s own policy on several points, as noted in their 2009 documentation — the administration is only allowed to remove access to TRULINCS for thirty days pending an investigation of any potential misuse, and the inmate is supposed to be informed in writing of the reason for that.

Brown has not been able to use his TRULINCS account since the afternoon of March 31st, when all of his correspondents received an automated message informing them that his access had been rescinded. Although a few other inmates had experienced problems, as of today it’s been clarified that the restrictions on Brown’s e-mail are unique, and no one in a position of authority seems to know what’s going on. He has not been informed or accused of any possible infractions.

This is disturbing in light of Barrett Brown’s professed interest in bringing to light wrongdoing by the Bureau of Prisons, as noted in his sentencing statement [0] and several recent interviews [1] [2] [3] [4]. The suspension of his e-mail access seems to be part of a pattern of retaliation against Brown by agencies of the federal government, for his journalism among other activities; the selective and retaliatory nature of his detainment having been made crystal clear by the prosecutory zeal and unconventional methods employed by the DOJ in his case and at sentencing.

Brown still has telephone privileges, so any members of the media who might be interested in speaking to him about this latest infringement of his rights may contact us with your phone number in order to be connected with him.

He’s now looking into the administrative remedy process of filing a grievance, and we’ll be providing more information as it comes in.

[0] http://tmblr.co/Zw1mWq1Y6pyqO

[1]

[2]

[3] http://www.cbc.ca/radio_template_2012/audiopop.html?autoPlay=true&clipIds=2660829273

[4] http://sputniknews.com/us/20150325/1019989634.html

http://tumblr.freebarrettbrown.org/post/115352286484/statement-on-the-suspension-of-barrett-browns
    • Like Like x 3
  13. A.O.T.F Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA No surprises there. What a bunch of corrupt and transparent fucktards they really are.
  14. The Wrong Guy Member

DOJ’s subpoena of our legal defense fund is part of a disturbing trend targeting advocates

May 6, 2015

At the outset of this year, we learned that in January 2013 the US attorney’s office in Dallas requested and received from WePay, Inc. information about our fundraising account, which is now defunct. Through WePay and other sources, over time we’ve raised nearly $100,000 which provided for the expenses of Barrett Brown’s legal defense, which was led by Ahmed Ghappour, Charlie Swift and Marlo Cadeddu.

After learning about this disclosure, we engaged a law firm to obtain answers from WePay. We wanted to find out whether the disclosure of our private account information to the government was pursuant to a valid legal process, the full circumstances of the request, and what was turned over. Most of all, we were concerned that we were never notified or given the chance to quash.

Those who have been following this case might recall that in April 2013, the government sought and obtained an order from the court to seize the defense fund – $20,000 which had by then been raised, largely with the help of an article by Glenn Greenwald. Their argument seemed to be that Brown should not be able to retain private counsel, and that his public defender should be compensated instead.

After Brown’s new attorneys made their first appearance, that aggressive move was swiftly shot down by the court. But it became highly emblematic of the government’s strategy in this case and their willingness to bend the rules by targeting the assets of Brown’s supporters who are independent of him and plainly outside the court’s control.

Having now obtained a copy of the subpoena, we are publishing it today. WePay contends that they acted in compliance with their own privacy policy. Yet there are still questions that are unanswered, crucially the issue of whether our donors’ information was compromised. Also, what gave them cause to issue this subpoena and how could our fundraising efforts possibly relate to the FBI’s investigation of the defendant? Was it part of a fishing expedition? We’ll continue to pursue this matter until we find out.

But above all, the fact that Barrett Brown’s legal defense fund was targeted in this way is incredibly disturbing. It shows that the Department of Justice wanted to block any chance for a dissident activist such as him to obtain adequate private legal representation, and to chill and intimidate all those who would organize around or donate to his cause. These tactics are novel and unusual, but in today’s America we suspect they may become more common. It flies in the face of the Sixth Amendment right to counsel.

Continued here:
    http://tumblr.freebarrettbrown.org/post/118309674729/dojs-subpoena-of-our-legal-defense-fund-is-part
    • Like Like x 8
  15. sallysock Member

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. ravenanon Member

Originally I was not a fan of Brown, but then it all changed when the court case started.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. DeathHamster Member

I wasn't too upset when he was busted, but it rated a weekend in jail, a stern lecture from a judge, and a few months attendance at Narcotics Anonymous.

What happened was a giant rotting pustule of injustice.
    • Like Like x 5
  18. DeathHamster Member

• Like Like x 4