Customize

BBC Click. Nets role in London Student protests, Libya/Egypt, and C64 running Windows 7

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by veravendetter, Apr 12, 2011.

1. veravendetter Member

2. Anonymous Member

It's "C64 running Windows 7" that aroused my curiosity.

"C64" as in Commodore (or Comedy Door) 64?
  3. Sponge Member

Saw it the other day on tv.
    On the protest thing, basically some guys made this mobile phone app which is essentially a compass to alert you to trouble areas during protests (such as where the police are employing "kettling" techniques) so it can direct you to the safest route past.
    It of course relies on a team of people behind the scenes, holed up in their little "control room" picking up data from various sources, such as on-scene twitters for example, bringing all that together and feeding into the system for the app to pick up.

On Libya, Egypt, Iran they talk about all the methods citizens used to get info on the net. Speak2Tweet, Dial-up modems to forgeign providers etc. Prettymuch all the stuff that you've probably already read about on here when it was happening.

The C64 running windows 7 is in fact a Commodore 64....sort of. It's actually just a retro case identical to the the old C64 but inside there's a dual core Intel Atom processor and integrated Nvidia graphics card. This totally pointless product will be launched in June.

Another item on the merge of Web and TV. Ironically, the presenter being oblivious to the fact that his well paid job will no longer exist in the near future.

Then some smaller magazine items too dull to mention.

A mention of a scheme to get japanese citizens to monitor radiation levels and presumably have this availble in real time on the web. Which is nice.

Best bit. www.toondoo.com :) Get to work.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Anonymous Member

Oh ho! I remember now. Missed it on TV but I saw this earlier in the week:

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/112510/new-commodore-64-nyt

For me, the overall strategies and tactics of the project remind me of the technology used for the un-manned drones; some used for the aerial photography over the Fukushima Reactor mess in Japan, and of course others in use for missile strikes in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Very cool tech. Thanks for the report!
  5. veravendetter Member

6. veravendetter Member

Agreed. Rather just have my PC and play with a real C64.

Dizzy the egg games ftw. This is now a C64 thread.
  7. Anonymous Member

I see your Dizzy and raise you Creatures 2.
  8. this could help anons in future protests
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Anonymous Member

Could someone rip the vid and post on Russia-tube?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Anonymous Member

? why ?

over 115 call outs to the police
    on
    130+ protests over 1203 days

0 arrests
    0 incidents
    0 screened in
    0 screened out