Customize

Beyond Belief: My Secret Life inside Scientology and My Harrowing Escape, by Jenna Miscavige Hill

Discussion in 'Media' started by The Wrong Guy, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Anonymous Member

Site was closed after the settlement. I'm not sure there was ever actual content there.
  2. Anonymous Member

lol it is not on the same IP ... it seems to be on the same name registrar and therefore old widc points to that ... protip: learn2internet
  3. Anonymous Member

The bizarre truth of the experiences one has in Scientology scarcely require an imaginative second story about them to be woven by departing members, though "bitter apostates" they may be.

It never occurs to Scientology that they may have fucked up with the departed members. What a "service facsimile"* they have! (Hubbard's own, of course)

*According to the cult, a "service facsimile" is a fixed idea or computation which makes self right and others wrong.
  4. DeathHamster Member

I believe that they took the site down right after the settlement (403 error), but until the domain expired, it was pointing to the same IP as castilecanyonschool.org now is.
  5. DeathHamster Member

Your grandmother, eggs, sucking and such.
  6. Scientology video with Castile Canyon School Alumni:
  7. Anonymous Member

With Jenna's story having grown legs, isn't this the point where Freedom Magazine makes a video attacking Jenna's character? They did it for John Sweeney, Paul Haggis, the former high ranking executives (Mike Rinder, Marty Rathbun, etc), Anderson Cooper .... what about Jenna? They tend to resort to old tactics a lot based on their deluded logic that their Fair Game tech always works...
  8. jensting Member

Other than the John Sweeney one, are they not usually woefully late? I guess they're just not that fussed - I'm sure David "he is NOT insane!" Miscavige understands that they have more important things to do.
  9. A.O.T.F Member

beyondbelief.jpg

Riiiight! :rolleyes: Downloaded the book for the Kindle this morning .. Just started to read it.
  10. This video reminds me of early People's Temple propaganda touting the glory of Jonestown in Guyana.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. The Wrong Guy Member

Behind the secrets of Scientology - New Zealand Herald

By Nicky Park

Jenna Miscavige Hill was a third-generation Church of Scientologist. She was born into the Church. Her parents dedicated most of their lives to its "missions" and her uncle - who she describes as "evil" - "selected himself" as leader of the when its creator L Ron Hubbard died.

Now 29, the mother-of-two has been free from the shackles of the secretive Church Scientology for eight years.
    But she will always be scarred from a childhood of separation from her parents, forced manual labour, lack of traditional education, paranoia, extreme punishment and brainwashing.

This month she bravely published a memoir, Beyond Belief - My Secret Life Inside Scientology and My Harrowing Escape.

"It was almost like I was in a loony bin," Jenna says from her home in San Diego.

Kids were forced to stare at each other for hours, ask obscure questions to inanimate objects, spend hours sweating out "toxins" in a sauna for "purification" and when a couple of teenagers were busted doing "sexually unethical" things, part of their punishment was wearing black and running, not walking, all the time.

Jenna says she was so "completely brainwashed" that whenever she questioned L Ron Hubbard's bizarre theories, "You think that you're crazy".

"They have these slogans like, 'Think for Yourself' and, 'What is True is True for You' but these things are completely ironic. They're so far from the truth.

"If you don't agree with Scientology doctrine, what L Ron Hubbard says, then they teach you that there's a word that you don't understand. You have to keep finding them and looking them up in the dictionary until you finally understand it and if you don't understand it then they say that it's because you've done bad things."

The Church started as a self-help group in the mid-1950s. Jenna says it lures in followers using "personality tests" to pick on an individual's insecurities. Scientology promises to repair your marriage, help you earn more money, be more successful... And celebrity endorsements (most notably Tom Cruise and John Travolta) back up all the hype.

"When you're first getting in it's completely different. People are ... kissing your butt, showering you with love, saying how great you are," Jenna explains.

"Once you're in, they're like, 'We don't need to keep kissing this person's butt' and it's on to the next person.

"By the time you start seeing holes you've already put in too much money into it, too much time, you've brought your friends in to it, your family and it's too hard to leave."

She says the ultimate belief of Scientologists is that "our spirits are trapped in our bodies and we rely on them and Scientology is the only thing that can bring us back."

Because the body is a just a vessel for the spirit, any sickness or expression of emotion is deemed weak. Poorly people are sent in to isolation, crying is seen as being "needy" and giving birth should be done in silence. Unless you're part of the most dedicated part of the church - Sea Org - where falling pregnant gets you kicked out or encouraged to have an abortion.

"To me, the Church is a dangerous organisation whose beliefs allow it to commit crimes against humanity and violate basic human rights," Jenna writes in her book.

"... Scientology has always been a game of power and control."

Jenna freed herself from Scientology, with her now husband, when she was 21. She first took aim at the Church in 2008. Private investigators were sent to follow her, an intimidate technique intending to pipe Jenna down.

"In the end, I'm just not afraid of them any more," Jenna says today.

"What are they gonna do at this point that they haven't already done?"

Beyond Belief, by Jenna Miscavige Hill, published by Harper Collins, is available now. RRP $29.99. Check out Jenna's website for more info here.

From www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=10865219
    • Like Like x 6
  12. At 3:19
    Yup. Jerks.
  13. Mr. Magoo Member

After listening to Jenna tell her tale, and because of what all of us on this forum know, there are plenty of sad, telling details in this video that the general public probably would not pick up on. For one thing, did you notice how so many of the kids are wearing plain white undershirts? These poor kids have no decent clothes. It's not like they are Third World orphans. All these kids have parents, yet all they have to wear is an undershirt. Just a little detail I noticed.

Something else is the way the adults kind of seem at a loss as to exactly what to say. They shrug their shoulders a lot. They talk about the grounds being pretty and large. None of them mention the importance of a good education or how this wonderful school got them into the college of their choice. They talk about how they can learn things now, but don't really say that they learned anything then. Especially the blond lady. She seems like she's grasping at straws to find something positive to say, and like she's not really convinced that what's she's saying is true. "We had GOOD care. You know, vitamins and uhhhhh..."

And the one guy saying that he supervised the younger kids and felt like a big brother to them. So sad, the little kids needed him because they had no parents around.

And that one guy is just an idiot. "It laid the foundations and fundamentals for me to actually become an artist because I was able to read textbooks." "Because my field is in the interest of art and fine art, I was was able to learn that with genuine interest." Whaaaat???

And a school with a swing set and monkey bars? A basketball court? No way! There are not any pictures of the kids actually playing on those facilities, though, mostly just pics of kids working in the fields.
    • Like Like x 5
  14. wolfbane Member

Jenna seems to be an exception to the norm. All of the rebuttals to the book have been softer imo, her original Nightline spot a few years back was hardly wheezed at compared to other primetime news spots and there is a distinct lack of viciousness directed towards debunking her claims.

Instead, we seem to be getting a kid gloves handling of the situation. They don't seem to go all apeshit crazy when she speaks out like they do with other Sea Org members, and we get a soft shoe number essentially tap dancing around her claims (positive reinforcement website/videos for canyon school that indirectly paint a different picture).

It's kind of weird actually, being that Jenna comes across as far more damaging due to her family connections. But I can't help but wonder if it is the family connection and her use of the Miscavige maiden name that causes the difference in tactic. Scientology doesn't strike me as smart enough to know better in that regard (showing their usual vicious attack mode towards "bitter apostates" when the apostate is DM's niece) but maybe they are.
    • Like Like x 6
  15. The Wrong Guy Member

Scientology leader David Miscavage's niece on growing up in the cult | The Sun

At 6, I was on a chain gang. At 7, I signed a billion-year membership contract. At 13, I was quizzed on my sex life. At 17, I tried to jump off a roof.

By Annette Witheridge

As Jenna teetered on a tiny window ledge high above teeming LA traffic, she felt she had nothing to live for.

She says: “Scientology had destroyed my life and taken away everyone that I cared about — my parents, my brother, my friends.

“Now they were trying to take away the boy I loved and I just couldn’t let them do that. I was ready to jump. I had nothing left to lose.”

Frantic church elders, terrified of what their boss, Jenna’s uncle David Miscavige would think, scrambled to pull the distraught 17-year-old back inside to safety.

“The Scientologists are paranoid about bad publicity, so the last thing they needed was the leader’s niece leaping into the traffic in the middle of Hollywood Boulevard,” says Jenna Miscavige Hill, who had been terrified about being separated from her boyfriend Dallas.

Four years later she found the courage to leave the secretive organisation she was born into.

Now Jenna has written a memoir about growing up as an elite member of the church that counts Tom Cruise and John Travolta among its devotees.

The book makes explosive claims about the church, which Jenna reckons made her life a misery.

Continued at
    www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/woman/real_life/4797867/Scientology-leaders-niece-on-growing-up-in-the-cult.html
    • Like Like x 6
  16. The Wrong Guy Member

Suri Cruise Lucky To Have Escaped Scientology, Says Leader’s Niece Jenna Miscavige | Radar Online

Posted on Feb 16, 2013 | By Radar Staff

Jenna Miscavige Hill, whose blockbuster tell-all, Beyond Belief: My Secret Life Inside Scientology And My Harrowing Escape, is sending shockwaves through the controversial organization run by her uncle David Miscavige , is now saying Suri Cruise is fortunate to be away from the religion.

“I don’t know what will happen to Suri in her relationship with her mother but I know the Scientologists tore my family apart.” Jenna told the UK newspaper, The Sun.

She believes the adorable little girl had a lucky escape, getting out of Scientology when she did, as a result of her mother Katie Holmes divorcing devoted Scientologist Tom Cruise.

Before her own escape, she says, “Scientology had destroyed my life and taken away everyone that I cared about — my parents, my brother, my friends.

“I was born into Scientology,” says Jenna. “When I was two my parents joined the Sea Orgs and were away working 14 hours a day. I was brought up in a Scientology nursery.”

As RadarOnline.com has been reporting, Jenna’s book recounts her bizarre youth. Torn away from her own parents when she was not much more than a toddler, she was raised with the kids of other Scientology VIPS, and saw her parents only a few times a year.

“I couldn’t even go to the bathroom alone. I was forbidden to pick up the telephone just in case my parents — who had left the church by then — tried to call. Their letters to me were intercepted,” she said.

Why would a parent want to put their child through something like what Jenna says she experienced?

Cruise, she told CNN’s Piers Morgan either “does know what’s going on and he’s not talking about it or he is willingly ignorant about it. I mean, people who endorse an organization like this, I feel like they have a responsibility to know everything about it and know what they’re endorsing.”

From http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2013/02/suri-cruise-lucky-escape-scientology-says-jenna-miscavige/
    • Like Like x 5
  17. RolandRB Member

Everybody who supports the Church of Scientology knows about the child abuse. They just don't care. Maybe they do it themselves and do not see why it is wrong. In the UK, those people who went to the Saint Hill Gala Dinner to have their photos taken with Tom Cruise either knew or did not care that most of the work preparing the event was done using forced child labour and that when they were making merry, late into the evening, the children who slaved to prepare their enjoyment and feasting were tired, hungry and sobbing themselves to sleep.
    • Like Like x 5
  18. jensting Member

this includes politicians. Tabloid press WAKE UP!
    • Like Like x 4
  19. DeathHamster Member

their piss and poop ended up in the East Grinstead water supply.

Personally, I don't think that pooping into faulty shitters is worse than abusing child labour, but whatever hits their embarrassment button.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. The Wrong Guy Member

This Week's Bestsellers: February 18, 2013

Another Tour of Scientology

By Samuel R. Slaton

As far as salacious reading material goes, Scientology basically sells itself—an evil overlord named Xenu dumping a bunch of body thetans in a volcano, and then blowing them up with atom bombs? 75 million years ago? If it sounds like science fiction, you wouldn’t be far off the mark—L. Ron Hubbard, the church’s founder, got his start banging out pulp tales of adventures set in exotic lands, and he clearly learned during his long and mind-bogglingly prolific writing career what grabs a reader’s attention. But even the most productive author in the world (according to the Guinness Book of World Records) knew that moving copies wouldn’t cut it: “You don’t get rich writing science fiction,” he said. “If you want to get rich, you start a religion.”

But if being a new-age prophet isn’t your bag, writing ain’t a bad gig—especially if your angle is exposing the underbelly of what is arguably today’s most controversial religious movement. Pulitzer Prize–winner Lawrence Wright’s Going Clear, which began as a piece in the New Yorker, debuted at #13 on our Hardcover Nonfiction list three weeks ago. Since then it’s sold 26,470 copies and moved up a spot. While never a Scientologist himself, Wright went after the infamous organization by way of copious research and access to a high-profile defector, Hollywood director Paul Haggis.

Jenna Miscavige Hill, on the other hand, has a whole other take on the matter, though hers is no less damning. The niece of David Miscavige—the young, eerily handsome, and allegedly abusive leader of what Haggis bluntly called a cult—Hill grew up in the church and signed her life away at age six to the elite cadre of Scientology members known as the Sea Organization. The contract stipulated that she dedicate one billion—yes, billion—years of service to the church. In 2005, a few years after her parents decamped, she decided she’d had enough and finally fled. She’s since established a support Web site for people like her (ExScientologyKids.com), gotten married, and given birth to a daughter. Now she’s publishing her tell-all: Beyond Belief: My Secret Life Inside Scientology and My Harrowing Escape. The book debuts at #14 on our Hardcover Nonfiction list. With first-week sales comparable to Going Clear (Wright sold 5,825; Hill 1,000 less), all signs point to Beyond Belief becoming a cult classic.

www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/bookselling/article/56007-this-week-s-bestsellers-february-18-2013.html
    • Like Like x 3
  21. But, but, somebody somewhere got extra points for Tom Cruise poop! Bonus awarded for corn!
  22. moarxenu Member

I think this is correct. Somewhere in Jenna's book that DM offered a family member who defected or otherwise was a source of trouble (going from memory here) $100,000 not to use the family name. He appears very sensitive about scandal being attached to the Miscavige name.

Great potential scandal is attached to the name of Denise Miscavige in the horrendous death of Kyle Brennan. Tick tock.
    • Like Like x 6
  23. pedrofcuk Member

• Like Like x 3
  24. peterstorm Member

Scientology exposé Beyond Belief No. 1 bestseller in Canada

HarperCollins, the New York publisher of Beyond Belief: My Secret Life Inside Scientology and My Harrowing Escape, has apparently decided to brave the fear of libel action in Canada that prevented Alfred A. Knopf from releasing another Scientology exposé.
    Beyond Belief, by former church member Jenna Miscavige Hill, went on sale without fanfare in Canada Feb. 5 and topped the country’s non-fiction bestseller list last week.

more at :
    http://www.thestar.com/entertainmen...pos_hits_no_1_in_canadas_bestseller_list.html
    • Like Like x 8
  25. RolandRB Member

Still not avalable in German. If it were then things would really take off in Europe.
  26. The Wrong Guy Member

Kids of Scientology abused on the Ranch? | WTSP Tampa Bay

Claims of hard labor, abuse and isolation...at just 6 years old!

Critics say it's a side of Scientology no one talks about. Until now!

Heather Van Nest goes one-on-one with niece of the head of the church. Hear why she calls her uncle evil!

Children of Scientology - Thursday at 11 p.m. on 10 News.

www.wtsp.com/news/article/299325/250/Thursday-at-11pm-Children-of-Scientology
    • Like Like x 4
  27. blownforgood Member

Jenna is pretty untouchable. Dave Miscavige made a deal when her parents left and she stayed. The folks I am sure signed something under the agreement that Dave would not mess with them or the kids. There were at least two other kids that had gotten at that time. Since the agreement was inked Jenna left. Jenna was NEVER supposed to leave.

I am pretty sure if Scilons say anything about Jenna, they break the agreement and more juice will leak out. One "Miscavige" book is tough, 4 more would be a real bitch!

Notice they are just saying that a bunch of other kids have a different story. They are not throwing Jenna under the bus completely.

Just saying...
    • Like Like x 7
  28. failboat Member

Interview with Jenna Miscavige Hill on KTLA - whose employees can't spell "belief."

Video of interview (6 min) at link below.

http://ktla.com/2013/02/20/beyond-beleif-jenna-miscavige-hill/

KTLA is a major local tv broadcaster in Los Angeles, much like WGN in Chicago or WGBH in Boston.
    • Like Like x 1
  29. Anonymous Member

Monday morning my landlord called and told me Jenna was on KGO, a popular local talk show. A few minutes later my neighbor called to tell me the same thing. They both got to hear Jenna talk about her experiences.
    I just finished her book.
    Buy it. Read it. Use it.
    Excellent look into what a child experiences in a cult.
  30. This all seems slightly sugar coated to me. Rehearsed.

Lets talk about the throw away children of Scientology. The ones that got in the way and were treated like cattle. The ones that got sent to the other "ranch". Sick children getting NO medical care. Sexual abuse. Pedophile rings. Cover ups.

You have gone soft WWP. Something has changed. Not that that was not expected.
  31. Anonymous Member

You think sick children getting vitamins from Jenna without medical training counts as some kind of medical care?
  32. Anonymous Member

This thread is to discuss Jenna Miscavige Hill's new book. That is what we are doing. Not sure wtf is sugar coated about that. We discuss the other topics. In threads about those topics. The search feature is your friend. Use it.
    • Like Like x 1
  33. My take on this is that she is saying what a legal team has told her she could say without taking it to a point that she becomes a tabloid freak show and her family is affected. There is not much point to hearsay. That's what the cult does.

Smart. Someone else can tell about the other stuff and I am sure they will.
  34. Anonymous Member

You got a lot of likes there for a teaser and a 15-second video. Any chance they will be posting the full piece any time soon?
  35. Anonymous Member

Dox onactual organized pedophile rings, plox. Not that I don't believe you, on the contrary I know people who would be greatly interested, but need would need to show dox, even if it were eyewitness.
    • Like Like x 1
  36. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 4
  37. wolfbane Member

It's due out on the 11pm local news broadcast tonight (Thursday, Feb 21 US Eastern timezone).
  38. wolfbane Member

FIFY. Enjoy your epic fail.
    • Like Like x 1
  39. Mutante Member

Good job Jenna.
    • Like Like x 1
  40. Anonymous Member

They didn't attack the Sea Org children Paris, Shane, Woodcraft that much. All they could response was, this or that is not true. They don't have dirt at 6, or else they learned it all in Sea Org. And folder material on these children and what they did inside are useless, unlike what they have on Mike, Marty and perhaps Haggis. When Journalists fight back, they need someone else - stories. But Jenna and these SO children do not need help. They are themselves unlimited sources. It's not a one article wonder or one book wonder. Woodcraft is still very much at it. If the cult attack Jenna, it could trigger a lot of people coming out to stand and collaborate with her. And as BFG say, big brother and big daddy could come out too. That's scary Dave!
    • Like Like x 1