Customize

Big List of THOUSANDS of Exes Who Have Spoken Out

Discussion in 'Projects' started by RightOn, Jun 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Incredulicide Member

Sorry, you've missed two earlier ones. I thought you were going to go back and correct the numbers you already had from 2519 in your earlier post

Here's how it goes:

#2519 Judi Light
    #2520 Darlene Vorm
    #2521 Marina Kalugin

THEN

#2522 David Brink
    #2523 Kathy Kolb
    …etc…
    #2538 Jason Pierce <- you also missed him
    …etc…
    #2543 Bruno Parent
    • Like Like x 1
  2. RightOn Member

I know why you did it for course, but I don't agree with you.
    They are FB "likes" and should be listed that way on the Wiki. IMO
    " "Liked" FB post" is the way it should read on the wiki, not "quote".

It will also make the list look more credible. To use the word "quote" for a ink to a screen grab, will look sort of confusing to a lot of people. What the screen grab shows is someone else's quote. YOU may understand it, but the general public won't. They will think that we are using Karen's or Tom's quotes as the person's on the list quote.
    The list has to be understandable to EVERYONE.
    So please correct it.

My numbers don't match yours either, why I am one off?
    EDITED: And with me missing Jason Pierce, it will be two higher!

The first time I posted the update, you said that Judi was 2519, so natch I thought the next one would be 2520 which I thought that you were including the two that were knocked off the list.
    Can you take a look and see why I have one more?
    I can't edit the older posts, but I can ask a mod, as soon as we straighten this out.

And please be a little bit more patient with me? Mky?
    I know you two are much more tech savvy and probably wish I would just go away, but sorry, I ain't going anywhere.
    Please remember when I started this list WAY back when, I did it alone for the most part and even worked on it when I was on vacations.
    It's still my baby!
    /rant
  3. Incredulicide Member

The wiki and you now match at 2543, well done! :)
    Nobody would dare wish you away, we need you! Bouncing along is what we do together, errors/corrections and all :cool:

If we're going to assume the wiki readers will be confused by the wording of a link, we could argue they'd be confused that the link is to a WhyWeProtest post instead of to Facebook, or in 100 years from now that they won't know what "FB" means.

Perhaps I should just be literal and put "screenshot" as the word for the link.
  4. RightOn Member

100 years? LOL

screenshot is better than the word quote. But it still doesn't explain what it is of.
    "Screenshot of FB "Like" explains it all.

I know there will be confusion when going to WWP for the embedded link for some. Which is why it is important to have a description of what the link actually is on the wiki so it makes total sense for all.
    "Screenshot of FB "Like" with the word in "like" in quotes should say it all

ALSO,
    Do we have enough of a "glossary" with what things mean on the list? Which would help to explain abbreviations and terms a little better for the non tech or researcher newbies of the COS, lurkers etc.. isitiing it?
    COS - Church of Scientology
    FB - Face Book
    ORG Initials definition - like ASHO ect....
    Flag
    OT levels- maybe add a link to the explanation of what OT levels are?
    Clear " " "
    and so on......
    Thoughts?
  5. RightOn Member

I just went to Yahoo and searched with the words "the big list of ex scientologists"
    And the wiki link does not come up at all on the first page.
    It goes to a wiki listing, but it is an unfinished Big List Wiki entry!

EDITED:
    make that the first 5 pages have nothing.
    I stopped looking after 5 pages
  6. Incredulicide Member

Far better writers than us have already written glossaries, so best to just link to one of them. How about http://blownforgood.com/?page_id=39
  7. Incredulicide Member

I went to Bing and searched "church of scientology" former members
    Our wiki is the 3rd result. We can't really predict what words people put into search engines.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. RightOn Member

Thats a lot to wade through, people have a very short attention span.
    We can still list a couple of the most used ones with meanings and or links and then say for a complete list of all abbreviations....
    and provide that link to BFG
    say five?
    COS - Church of Scientology
    Clear - link to levels
    OT and Their Levels - link to complete level explanation
    FB - Face Book (since we are going to have a buttload of those now and it will continue to grow)
    OSA - Scietnology's Office of Special Affairs

I know this was discussed before. But it was a long time ago.
    Also does the wiki have links for immediate translation? I forgot.
  9. RightOn Member

oddly enough, I find more name info through Yahoo then other search engines. Always have.
    Even though I know it is not the "go to" search for the masses.
    How can we move it up to #1 everwhere?
  10. Incredulicide Member

Perfect!

And I can't see how anyone would think it being too repetitive :)

..well at least it won't be on there as many times as "on the indie 500 list" LOL
    • Like Like x 1
  11. RightOn Member

ok I need to get something done today
    later
  12. Incredulicide Member

Rather than another list in the list, I've put (CoS) and (OSA) after their mentions in the intro prose, like they do in academia :)
    I also included Clear and OT levels in one link:
    See the chart for where Clear/OT levels are on the "Bridge to Total Freedom"

I have an idea about using the wiki's in-page reference ability so all the Facebook screenshots will have a tidy explanation at the bottom.

For translations, each browser is either now or in the very near future offering immediate translations to the native language of their users on-the-fly without webpages (including ours) having to provide any links. Magic! :)
  13. RightOn Member

We need it now.(before)
    Especially with Going Clear hitting.
    Is it complicated to add?
    If it is really hard to add, then maybe add to the intro that people can go to google translate and provide that link with some minor instructions on how to put the webpage url on the translate page for a translation?
    Again, don't forget, I am not computer savy at all. But a tiny bit more(and I mean tiny) more than a lot of people out in the general public who may hit this list.
    And many people may have out dated 'puters?
    When the immediate translation is offered on all browsers, we can eliminate the mention and link?
    Make sense?

as far as adding the OTchart, I wonder how many people will not know how to enlarge it?
  14. TrevAnon Member

Ok :)
    I also wouldn't want you to go away, and neither would I want Incred to go away. Although I may sometimes be a bad boy and make it seem otherwise :D (Inb4 Anon is not your friend.) But you two could do without me delivering boatloads of exes and so giving everyone a headache. :p
    Good enough for me.
    I've seen you already more or less reached agreement. Please keep in mind there are differences within the audience.

People who were in COS for a long time know all the COS-abbreviatons but may not know all the internet-lingo. For them explaining FB = Facebook is a good thing. But explaining all the COS-lingo for them will be tiresome. They already know.

Interested never-ins however need the COS-lingo explained, but can do without an explanation of simple internet-lingo. (Me myself however has given up years ago about understanding COS lingo. Big reason I'll let others check for that when I give a name.)

Just my 2 cts.
    Again I'd try to think from the user perspective.

COS is mostly oriented at English people. Maybe just provide a google-translate link somewhere at the top for some of the world's bigger languages? Western languages like Spanish, French Italian and German come to my mind. These would cover the places where COS has a foot on the ground or tries to get at that, including Africa.

Maybe also a language from a Far East country? Wouldn't know though how good or bad Google translate is. Also maybe people from Taiwan will be very offended if we only use a language spoken in China. Just a thought.
  15. TrevAnon Member

I'm actually a little surprised that the tips and advice for people who want to add their name doesn't include a link to Kristi's Truth about scientology site.
  16. TrevAnon Member

17. RightOn Member

18. RightOn Member

I didn't see Tracy Ekstrand on the list? Or she under another name?
    She was just interviewed:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ed-her-way-out-of-scientologys-elite-sea-org/

Her daughter is also mentiond and quoted.
    Melissa Holmes.
    If Tracy is already on, here is an additional link
    IF not.

Mirror link for two below:
    http://imgh.us/climbed_out.svgz

#2545 - Tracy Ekstrand - left after 14 years, Sear Org, held 11 positions, took care of Mary Sue Hubbard, Nanny for COS daycare, Celebrity Center, mentioned in "Going Clear" Book, Washington Post Interview
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ed-her-way-out-of-scientologys-elite-sea-org/

#2546- Melissa Holmes - born in, finger severed in COS nursery, quote in Washington Post Interview
  19. TrevAnon Member

If Ekstrand is a married or divorced name, different from when she was in, then we should look for a Tracy. There is none, so I think she is new.

Melissa is also new. Powell or Holmes last name? One birth name, other married name?

There is no separate proof for having been in we need to rely on the journalist having confirmed she was in / they both were in.
  20. RightOn Member

Well she was also in Going Clear, (the book) so I think it's a go
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Incredulicide Member

Absent Scientology suing the newspaper, it's a pretty sure bet they were in :)

I couldn't find any Tracy (or Tracey) on the list so she isn't on the list yet. Also none of the "Melissa"s on the list mention losing a finger in their stories, which you'd think they would, so I don't think she's already on.
    I only saw "Melissa Holmes" in the article, where did "Powell" come from?

Washington Post uses robots.txt to prevent Waybackification, so here's a mirror: http://imgh.us/climbed_out.svgz
    • Like Like x 2
  22. RightOn Member

ha ha! thats what I get for doing too many things at once. Yes it is Melissa Holmes.
    thanks for the mirror too
    • Like Like x 1
  23. RightOn Member

Count is now 2546
    onward!
    • Like Like x 3
  24. TrevAnon Member

Derrick 'Shane' Jennings (birth name)

Posts on Ortega's Underground Bunker as Shanester http://tonyortega.org/2015/03/27/go...-and-escaping-scientology/#comment-1931055639

derrick.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
  25. Incredulicide Member

Would one of his other last names be Starr?
  26. TrevAnon Member

I asked his other last names over on the UB
    • Like Like x 1
  27. TrevAnon Member

• Like Like x 1
  28. RightOn Member

yeah I saw the same thing on Derick too, but we don't know what his name is.
    Needs to be confirmed
  29. Incredulicide Member

30. RightOn Member

31. Shanester Member

Hi TrevAnon -- yes, that is me. It's crazy, but I have the kind of unique characteristic of having six names to choose from. What makes this even more awesome is the cult's amazing ability to f**k up people's names no matter how much you beg them to make corrections.

For the full story, <a href=http://tonyortega.org/2015/03/27/go...escaping-scientology/#comment-1931055639>read my post at the Bunker</a>. Here are all the names I have gone by (through no fault of my own). For the record, I prefer to go by my middle name of Shane and my actual last name of Carlson. This name is kind of recent, so Scientologists will know me as Derrick Starr. (The cult of course is incapable of spelling my name correctly, so a lot of the time it is "Derek Starr".)

Name on birth certificate: Derrick Frederick Shannon Jennings
    Biological father's name: David Lester Carlson
    Mother's name: Lieuann Starr (nee Jennings)
    Stepfather's name: Marshall Starr

Names that Scientology has mailed to:
    Derrick Starr, Derrick Carlson, Derrick Starr, Derek Starr, Derek Jennings, Derik Starr, Denick Stan (!), and the best of the best: Dewick Starr.

I did complete the Route to Infinity on the Freewinds in 1990. I also completed Grades 0 and 1 in 1989 and 1990 at the Celebrity Centre Portland, but, for whatever reason, those completions do not seem to have been recorded anywhere -- and now, of course, CC Ptld was folded into Portland Idle Org, so who knows if my old records even exist.

I also attended the Delphian School from 1982 to 1986 (graduating that year) and was on staff at Delphi from 1986 to 1990. I started telling my story on ESMB: http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?33750-Scientology-A-Half-Life.

I would be proud to be included on the Big List, if the above meets the criteria.

Regards,
    Shane Carlson
    (aka Derrick Starr)

• Like Like x 4
  32. TrevAnon Member

^ Well that is an extensive answer. Thanks a lot. :)
    • Like Like x 2
  33. Incredulicide Member

Let's see if I can put that into a oneliner for the list:
    • Like Like x 2
  34. RightOn Member

35. RightOn Member

the link for Grade One goes to WWP, so it's too confusing and the link for the petition does not go to the petition
    I know you like the Wiki all neat and like to embed all the thread links into the words (hoping most non tech people know to click them on)
    but the entry has to be a little bit more self explanatory IMO
  36. RightOn Member

total time in?
  37. TrevAnon Member

Lol :) . Don't ask me, ask Shanester. ;)

38. Ogsonofgroo Member

Welcome Shanester! Glad you found 'here', all those years in, whew!, bet you have many a tale, and once you find your feet here it'd be a fine thing if you started a thread about some of your experiences, stories, we loves stories (tho there're probably a bunch who don't, meh, fukem), Cheers!
    • Like Like x 1
  39. Shanester Member

I was born and raised in the cult. Last time in an org was 1992. However, I didn't stop believing until much later, I'm afraid to admit. So, I guess we'll split the difference and say 1968 to 2002.
    • Like Like x 1
  40. Shanester Member

Thank you, Ogsonofgroo! Cool! Haha maybe I could share the messed up stories that I shied away from saying on ESMB because so many folks there seem kinda freezonish, if you know what I mean. I have no love for the cult.

I've been on the Red-X brigade, which is why I joined WWP a while back. It's nice to be here.
    • Like Like x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.