Customize

Bill would give president emergency control of Internet

Discussion in 'Freedom of Expression' started by avbb, Aug 28, 2009.

1. The Dude Member

Re: Bill would give president emergency control of Internet

Lol at anyone who is surprised by this. And Lol at anyone who still believes in the romantic myth as the internet as a totally free medium for the open exchange of information.
  2. Re: Bill would give president emergency control of Internet

I for one, think that this is something that requires some attention. Seriously, folks, think about it.

Many of you don't know me, but for those who have been around for a long, long time... I owned #xenu, the channel on the Partyvan network where all of this started. I got out of things for a long time because... well because I just about worked myself to death over Chanology. But I can tell you, I read this and I feel the same anger that I felt when I first heard about the Church trying to silence the Tom Cruise video. That "who the fuck do you think you are" feeling is sweeping through me, and that "oh my god I'm going to puke" feeling is at the back of my throat.

Anon, these internets of ours are as our lifeblood, in that they fuel the flow of free speech. We are hooked into these internets, as a dialysis patient is the machine that cleans their blood. It gives us our ability to communicate, to learn, to spread and learn new ideas from people from all walks of life. It is our place of solace, in many cases.

And we would let them take it away? I say NO good anons, NO. I would request that we begin to look beyond chanology to the issues of free speech that sparked this fire, and to take out on Congress the things that were taken out on the Church. Let us protest before their halls, and send black faxes to their secretaries, telling them that we will not allow our internet to black out. Remember anon, to stifle the internet is to stifle our communication, and an anon that cannot communicate is an anon that cannot be one with the hivemind... Do NOT let it happen.
  3. Re: Bill would give president emergency control of Internet

:( that ended up being far less epic than I meant it, lol
  4. Re: Bill would give president emergency control of Internet

I still liked it.
  5. Anonymous Member

First, it would be very difficult to accomplish. Secondly, the president would only have power over the internetz in the US. And...I can't imagine that now that the fearmongers have left the building in Washington, this bill would pass.

And srsly, do you think that they could actually stop the internet? They could slow it down, make it more difficult to access, but stop it? It is not a product of only the US.

That being said, like a telephone, television or any other service you pay for, it is not a right to have access to the internet. Nor is it a right to have access to the newspaper or your favorite television show. The government does not have to provide information or access to information, they can only control some of what information we get(ex FCC) and keep other information available (National ARchives, eg). As for freedom of speech, you will still be able to make your voice heard. The right to do that does not depend on the internet. The internet makes it easier to access information and to exercise your right to free speech, but your right to free speech does not depend only on the internet as an avenue of expression.

We don't need the internet to survive, no more than we need newspapers or television or cable or cell phones or land lines.

Now, if they cut off access for the sole purpose of keeping Americans from exercising the right to free speech, that is another matter. Fine line there, but a line that has to be drawn.
  6. TypingChimp Member

I think this would have worked maybe 10-15 years ago, when the interwebz were nothing but basement dwellers and other assorted freaks. Nowadays, the movie Serenity was right: "You can't stop the signal".

As far as this bill getting passed, lmao @ ne1 who thinks Congress actually accomplishes anything. Healthcare reform is priority # 1, and anything else will get VERY short shrift.
  7. Anonymous Member

Ok Guise, if the internet gets shut down this is what you have to do:
    - Must have land line phone
    - Install old BBS software on your computer
    - Purchase old 300 Baud phone modems
    - Have a list of phone numbers of friends with same setups
    - At set times, exchange BBS data and create a network by determining who calls what computer when and transfers information. It will be a little slower than the internet but it works.
    - Sorry, the graphics will suck...

bbslfx.jpg 242c4090527300baud01.jpg
  8. EyeOnSci Member

A new b/lackup industry.

Anonymous adapts.

EyeOnSci
  9. Re: Bill would give president emergency control of Internet

lol at BBS.

I guess if anything good will come from it, the wheat will be seperated from the chaff, if anyone gets my drift. ;)
  10. Anonymous Member

I think you were able to automate the computer to computer calls.:D
  11. Consensus Member

I'm with you 100%.

There will be an internet war. Might be a hot war. Might be a cold war.

The fact that Ahmadinajad's censoring of the 'net played such a significant role in the unrest in Iran gives the freedom-lovers a serious advantage here. If there was no history of net censorship fucking things up, and no history of freedom of speech - via the internet - working for a greater good, the ancients that call the shots might have a chance at pushing this through.

But the history of Anonymous, of the Green Movement, of China and Iran's governments ... they demonstrate clearly that governments should have no control over the internet. That the internet's freedom is a MAJOR force for good, and that any limitations on it QUICKLY DEVOLVE into TYRANNY.

So write your fucking senators, congressmen, and so on. And tell everyone on slashdot, on somethingawful, on 4chan, on worth1000, on ebaumsworld, and so on to do the same.

And be prepared to march on this if it goes to committee.
  12. Re: Bill would give president emergency control of Internet

This is so true, and what I didn't say in my first post for fear of tl;dr.

The first place ANY government goes when it wants to stifle dissent is to the digital communication mediums, like the internet, to flip the switch. Because it's all so simple, is it not? "We need to protect the sheeple, if they see this it might hurt them... if they know this it might be used for harm... ignorance is bliss." And the Sheeple, not knowing any better, go with it.

I really don't advocate DDoS of government servers, like we did to the CoS, but all the other methods are perfectly legal. Faxes, phone calls, emails... lets make it so that they cannot communicate because their networks are crippled by our communications.
  13. Anonymous Member

Bad idea IMHO - a foot-bullet for anons.
  14. Anonymous Member

IranPresident.jpg
  15. Re: Bill would give president emergency control of Internet

oh shi-

The point is to let them know what it would be like, to show them that we have the power to do it too, and we will if they don't respect us. After all, they work for us.
  16. Anonymous Member

Yes - but which one of us?;)
  17. determu Member

let's just say hypothetically that this does happen,

a massive super virus attacks everyone

and the government is given temporary control

would we protest? or would we wait and see if they would relinquish control
  18. Redshirt Member

They tried something like this here in Australia too, although it was an attempt to censor the internet to protect all the kiddies out there. There was a government Black List of sites, which I believe included ED and 4chan among others. Stepthen Conroy (minister in charge of this shit) said there was 'criteria' that warranted a site to be blacklisted, but refused to elaborate on what that criteria was or who decided on it.
    Sneaky bastards were halfway to implementing the plan when someone found out and it was generally opposed by ISPs and users alike. AusAnon organised and attended protests (w/o GF masks fyi, though in Brisbekistan a guy showed up in one, and when he removed it he had grown the fucking GF 'tash and goatee!) and there was some public outcry because they'd been in the dark about it.
    Don't know of the current status of the plan.

IMHO, you Americunts love your freedom so much you seem to have trademarked the term, so organise ur protests now for epic attendance potential... just dont let the NWO fags hijack them like what happened here...
  19. Consensus Member

For the record, I don't think the US Gov would utilize this new measure of control to limit free speech, and in fact I doubt it would be used at all.

Nonetheless, I think the current administration would do FAR better to challenge all other leaders to allow their citizenry full, uncensored access to the web. What if Iran did this? What if China did? The free exchange of information devastates tyrants. Obama should be daring other leaders to relinquish control of the internet. This would do far more to protect American interests than giving the president a 'kill switch.'

America has always wanted to be the 'light on the hill' for the rest of the world to emulate. We don't always live up to it, and in the last 8 years we've definitely wavered, but it's not too late to regain that. We need to shine brightly. And this bill is snuffing out the light.
  20. EyeOnSci Member

I appreciate your optimism, however, simply the fact that this is a consideration under the current administration, is very bad news.

EyeOnSci
  21. determu Member

hell that speech gave me chills

Do tell , Do Do Do

what could we do?

we have no power, no influence, how would we let others know of this?
  22. A.Non Hubbard Member

copypasta this to your congressfag when the time comes
  23. Mutante Member

Closer to home indeed.
  24. YAHRLY Member

25. Anonymous Member

26. A.Non Hubbard Member

other purposes? Protecting the children, perhaps?
  27. Mutante Member

Everyone wave at the people who thought they already were that cadre :D
  28. Anonymous Member

What a strange bill to introduce on April Fool's day.
  29. Anonymous Member

Has April 1st moved to August 28th?
  30. Anonymous Member

I work in computer security and there are several scenarios whereby an adversary could do extremely naughty things to the internet, things that would end up leading to death or injury due to critical systems being knocked offline.

Having a way to ensure centralized direction can be brought in to mitigate threats is not such a bad idea. Eg, at its height Confickr could have easily taken a medium-sized country off the net. Challenges like this will only grow.
  31. determu Member

never thought of that
    good point MR.
    what ever happened to conflickr? did that guy just run for the hills
  32. Anonymous Member

There is the suspicion that the owner(s) have lost the command and control of the botnet.. but no one really knows. It was, at one point, extremely threatening. Any country with only a few pipes to the rest of the net could, literally, be knocked clean off the net - no connectivity to the rest of the world. How would you stop that without someone saying "all you Tier 1 providers need to do X, NOW"?

We live in a world that increasingly takes the net for granted. Telemedicine, the GPS units used for emergency beacons, fire/ambulance/police, etc. What happens if all those things break? Let alone some of the crappy legacy SCADA systems that are used by industry. Sure, you might not blow up teh nuklear powa stations, but you might break any 'smart' power grid that relies on the internet and that, combined with localised damage or bad luck could see rolling blackouts - and those do lead to deaths.

We've yet to see anyone try something like this - but the Confickr guys could have caused a lot of damage (and still no one knows what Confickr is meant to do) and it will only get worse. What's more you can believe potential power rivals to the US are studying Confickr (and worse examples, Confickr isn't the scariest technology out there) and are writing about the potential mitigation efforts the US govt. could employee against them.

Frankly, should someone launch an asymetric electronic attack against me I would be quite keen on having someone smart in power that can coordinate a response (if it's not coordinated, there's no point). That does rely on government being smart, though, and intelligence in govt. tends to wax and wane...
  33. Anonymous Member

[IMG]
  34. Olrik Member

It's business, not free speech. Not problem guyz.

TERRORISTS ARE EVERYWHERE.

BE AFRAID.
  35. determu Member

*shivers*

not too savy on networking

Could our government control the internet even china can't do it completely
  36. Olrik Member

Internet is not America(n).
  37. RedOrbifold Member

someone seems to think otherwise though
  38. Olrik Member

Indeed. Obama is just like any other American president: He Rules the Empire.
  39. Mutante Member

IMO that Bill is disinformation.
  40. Anonymous Member