Customize

blockade, censorship, but....

Discussion in 'Iran' started by msm85, Jun 17, 2009.

1. I've heard that iranian govt blocked SMS, canceled journalist's visas, filtered a lot of websites etc. but as you know twitter is now the main tool for iranian people to have their voices heard, what I want to know is why the govt don't completely cut the internet? any idea? and if they do that in the coming days, how people will communicate?
  2. I would assume that the government still requires the use of the internet themselves, so won't completely disconnect it - afterall, monitoring it will be helping them figure out what's going on where, with advance warnings and similar.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if it soon got to the extent that a majority was soon completely cut off, leaving only very few online, and severly limiting communication. If this happens, things might have to rely on word of mouth to spread. That is, unless other ways become available, through help from various places.
  3. If Eastern Europeans could fight the Soviet Block with cassette tapes and fax machines, we can do it with mobile phones and limited network connectivity.