Customize

Bre Payton of The Federalist visited the Church of Scientology of Pasadena

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by CommunicatorIC, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Bre Payton of The Federalist visited the Church of Scientology of Pasadena.

Bre Payton co-wrote The Federalist article naming Leah Remini one of The Federalist's Seven Most Amazing Women of 2016.

Ms. Payton visited the Church of Scientology of Pasadena. So far, her story is told only in a stream of tweets. I'm hopeful she will write a full article..

To read her tweet stream about her visit, go to:

https://twitter.com/Bre_payton/status/815262250994835456

I will screenshot only what I consider to be her four most important tweets, but please read the entire tweet stream.

Xg7Ky5N.png
    odHI0zP.png
    igjop0c.png C2mqzMb.png
    • Like Like x 4
  2. pillowcase Member

Lulz
    She's definitely a cotton.
    Just sayin
  3. RightOn Member

ha!
    Hope she gets hooked on going down the rabbit hole!
    Keep going Bre!
    Yes it is amazing that they are allowed to still practice world wide and screw people out of money.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. BigBeard Member

So she actually got one of them to admit they're practicing medicine without a license by talking someone off their prescription meds. I hope that gets passed to the proper authorities.

BigBeard
    • Like Like x 2
  5. I Visited The Church Of Scientology. Here’s What Happened.

As I had hoped, Bre Payton wrote a story about her visit to the Church of Scientology of Pasadena. It is excellent, and worth reading in full.

The Federalist: I Visited The Church Of Scientology. Here’s What Happened

http://thefederalist.com/2017/01/05/i-visited-the-church-of-scientology-here-is-what-happened/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

While my friend sat with the aforementioned Andrew, he told her to stop taking her anti-depressants, because she wouldn’t be able to complete the church’s “Dianetics” course unless she was off any prescribed medication for at least 24 hours before taking the initial assessment. Andrew bragged that he had convinced a schizophrenic man the week prior to stop taking medication and to rely on the church instead. He kept pushing Scientology as a cure for mental illness because, he said, it can solve everyone’s problems without “making it up” like therapy and medication.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

The most alarming part of the visit was when I asked Kenny what happens if someone wants to leave the Church of Scientology. He responded that when individuals don’t follow the church’s rules, the church intervenes.
    “We don’t force anyone to stay,” he said. “But I could see why people have that idea.”

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *
  6. I wonder whether naming the two people with whom she interacted was a mean thing to do. Upon consideration, I am sure that the church could figure out which staff members helped these two take their personality test and tour, whether the author Payton has changed the names or not. I feel like naming them might give their superiors even more reason both to scapegoat these staff members and to remain oblivious to the failure of the tech itself. Doubtless, these two staff were just doing their jobs exactly as they were trained to do, but since the tech can never be wrong, just misapplied, these two poor sods are probably going to take the blame and end up scrubbing toilets or worse.
  7. I don't mean to be callous, but I don't think her job is to be "nice" or "not mean." She is a journalist. She reported a story. Somebody who is not a medical professional told her friend "to stop taking her anti-depressants" and "bragged that he had convinced a schizophrenic man the week prior to stop taking medication," and she is supposed to protect that person's identity? Why?
  8. I didn't say she was supposed to do anything or protect anyone's anonymity. "I wonder" indicates ambivalence, meaning that I can see advantages and disadvantages both in using their names and in changing them - too many possibilities to list.

Admittedly, the choice of the word "mean" was clumsy on my part, and I can understand that it would generate confusion. She certainly has the prerogative to report events as they occurred.

Whether named or unnamed, I am certain that there would be no protecting the identity of these individuals from their superiors at the church. Changing the names would only protect the identity of these individuals from the general public. Like I said, I can see potential advantages and disadvantages in either course of action. I certainly did not intend it as some sort of harsh critique of the reporter, but rather an acknowledgement of the difficulty of the choice.

This isn't the first time that religious fanatics or otherwise uninformed rubes gave unsolicited medical advice despite not being medical professionals - about vaccinations, blood transfusions, or psych meds. Some might argue that the people in charge of spreading and indoctrinating this hoax science, rather than their dupes, ought to receive the brunt of the reporting and ridicule. She did note the lack of education and socialization of these two. That's not to say that the dupes don't deserve to be named and reported on, but, to me, it came at the expense of more strongly expressing the thuggishness and anti-science of the organization itself.
  9. Sorry that I was harsh myself.

You raise a good point -- and one that continually frustrates the hell out of me. I have no doubt that individuals she named really don't know any better, and were and are well-intentioned.

You might be surprised up high up the well-intentioned but horribly dangerous ignorance reaches.
  10. VIDEO: Bre Payton of The Federalist on her visit to the Church of Scientology of Pasadena, interviewed by Liz Wheeler of OANN.

* * * * * BEGIN INTRODUCTION * * * * *

The Church of Scientology

Tipping Point With Liz Wheeler on OAN
    Published on Jan 18, 2017
    Federalist writer Bre Payton went to the Church of Scientology in Pasadena. This is what happened...

--------------------------------------------------------

Follow Liz on Twitter: @Liz_Wheeler
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/TippingPointonOAN
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/OfficialLizWheeler
    Instagram: @Liz_OANN

-------------------------------------------

Find Bre: https://thefederalist.com/author/bre-payton/
    Twitter: @Bre_payton

* * * * * END INTRODUCTION * * * * * *
  11. failboat Member

Far too early an end to a promising career.
    Some coverage of her tragic death editorializes on her anti-vax position, which is probably warranted.

Bre Payton, US conservative news writer, dies at 26
    29 December 2018

A friend, Morgan Murtaugh, found her unconscious on Thursday. She died in hospital where she was found to be suffering from H1N1 flu and meningitis.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46708656

Fox News Anti-Vaxx Commentator Bre Payton Dies at 26, Likely From Swine Flu
    By James Schlarmann | December 30, 2018

https://ascienceenthusiast.com/fox-...-bre-payton-dies-at-26-likely-from-swine-flu/
  12. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Kinda harsh but true. The flu vaccine is effective against the earlier influenza viruses seen each season, this vaccine had been updated to be effective against the H1N1 strain.. Vaccine is recommended for every one older than 6 mo.
    The H1N1 strain this year is “A/Michigan/45/2015 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus” H1N1 was swine flu a few years ago and was notable for deaths in young healthy people instead of the aged, sick and pregnant. This is horrible, it sounds like she became very ill very quickly.