Customize

Bullbaiting vs. ashtrays.

Discussion in 'Think Tank' started by Soljenitsyne, Aug 22, 2010.

1. CarterUSP Member

Re: Bullbaiting vs. ashtrays.

When I did this drill (many years ago) i was told not to be surprised if the ashtray actually moves... don't kow if its written or just verbal, but i was told that pure TONE 40 would actually move it.
  2. Re: Bullbaiting vs. ashtrays.

I could only find one tone in Scientology: Tone deaf
  3. adhocrat Member

well, there is the Gold tone.
  4. Anonymous Member

Esmb is more appropriate than wwp for damaged ex scientologists.
  5. Shalashar Member

Handling = Attempting to persuade or otherwise force someone back onto the party line.

DSA = Director of Special Affairs - basically OSA local.
  6. Re: Bullbaiting vs. ashtrays.

Quote:
    I was called in for a series of stupid dreary handlings by the org's DSA- Ann Ruble Pearce- and the org's HCO director- Justin Smith. OSA Int in LA was telexing them, saying stuff like "who's side is she on?" I'd go in with a whole bunch of Hubbard quotes about free speech, etc and then go home.

Sorry, not trying to be sarcastic, but I'm used to talking to a lot of other critics who have been targetted by the cult and who know a lot of "Post titles" ("job titles" in regular English). Many of the critics I know-some of whom were never in the cult- routinely and frequently refer to OSA, HCO, DSAs and so on.

By the way, I have some very nice ashtrays at my house. Good heavy glass ones.
  7. Re: Bullbaiting vs. ashtrays.

I don't view things like that as either/or situations. I don't post here very often but I occasionally post here- but then again, I'm not "damaged". And Anons sometimes grace ESMB with their presence.

I think it depends on the thread one wants to create or participate in. There's stuff I'd not post here and there's stuff I'd not post on ESMB, yadda yadda.
  8. slobeck Member

I'm a little bemused by this thread. Some ex's have been really helpful in my education about scn over the last couple of years. I appreciate both the perspective of what the cult *claims* are the "theories" and purposes of these silly drills and the withering criticisms and assessment of them and their place in the overall scheme of controlling people's thoughts and behavior.

BTW: VC was the first actual ex that I communicated with after leaving the cult I was in and who really helped set me on a path of anti-cult/anti-scn activity.
  9. Squirrel King Member

With the utmost respect: to an outside observer your interests, words and actions do indicate otherwise. You have come along way, but you still have baggage to cast off. It is my hope that you turn your back completely on Scientology, WWP and all related topics and get on with your life. I know it feels good to do the "work" you are doing, but it is also very important for you to live a life far away from all this and allow your psyche time to heal and develop. Anti-Scientology isn't necessarily therapeutic or helpful to you. If you are fighting Scientology and running a message board, your world still revolves around Scientology. If you want to be free of the yoke, walk away.

*sigh* Advice is futile. Consider this a progress report.
  10. Anonymous Member

But, but, but....

emma-watson-20050710-53382.jpg
  11. Re: Bullbaiting vs. ashtrays.

Well, ya know, I figure it's probably no less advisable for me to include Scn criticism in my life than it is for other people. It all seems fine from here. I have plenty of other things going on in life that are unconnected to any of this. But, yeah, I post on message boards, as do many others. And other times I read about Buddhism, various other things, I work, I play... There really isn't any one thing- except that housework and home improvement seem to be a never ending propositions.
  12. Anonymous Member

I think he wanted to help people and make the world a better place.
  13. pedrofcuk Member

SIT DOWN IN THAT FUCKIN CHAIR YOU FUCKIN ASHTRAY, oh wait, STAND UP, oh wait, SIT DOWN IN THAT FUCKIN CHAIR, no, STAND THE FUCK UP, oh shit, I'm doing it wrong.
  14. Re: Bullbaiting vs. ashtrays.

Cute!
  15. Cudgel Member

Lurk more.

Read Sun Tzu. And heed the advice about knowing your enemy...
  16. Anonymous Member

17. Re: Bullbaiting vs. ashtrays.

Right. I speak in plain English all the time. But on critical fora if I'm describing getting fucked with by cult personnel, I'm going to refer to their (insane) declare orders, the post titles, anything relevant to that. If I'm telling a non Scn friend (who never was in and not a critic or anything) about that stuff, then I use plain old everyday speech with nary a clam term in sight.
  18. rof Member

I think she's adorable and sensible.

Leave VC alone!

HVjDz.jpg
  19. Re: Bullbaiting vs. ashtrays.

Boy, was that dino SORE...

ok, bad pun... :D
  20. Anonymous Member

And Clare (VC) succeeds in getting yet another thread to gradually become All About Clare. Incredible. Very successful attention seeking behaviour.
  21. Anonymous Member

Lol - irony.
  22. veravendetter Member

magoomag.jpg
  23. Re: Bullbaiting vs. ashtrays.

Nah, I didn't seek it. I just posted a little comment about the drill itsef and people responded to it. I didn't solicit opinions or initiate any discussion about myself.

And my name's not "Clare".
  24. Re: Bullbaiting vs. ashtrays.

So I'm going to talk about the drill again. For those who are interested, great. If not, well and good...there are lots of other threads here. :)

The drill has three parts. Lifting the ashtray while commanding it to stand up and sit down in that chair is done on all. But the person moves the ashtray, of course. The coach asks him questions about did he actually get it to move. The drill is done where the person yells at top volume, then normal voice, then silently. The idea is that volume does not cause the ashtray to move, intention does. Person intends to move ashtray and he does by lowering and raising it. I'm not gonna lie to you- I had fun doing that drill when I was in CofS. I haven't done it since, though.

Now I'm going to talk about the wisdom of doing an ashtray type anon drill by a Cof$ org or mission. I think it could be good, usually. It would be more street theater, but, as I mentioned, when I was at the Boston Mega Raid, I saw some people doing that with an emeter. They created a sort of sec check- and those questions were WILD. It was good street theater, it gets the protesters noticed- and that's pretty much the aim. You want people to notice so that maybe they ask you what's going on and that gives you a chance to tell them about the cult and the crap it does. So making fun of that drill or any drill or Scn technique or theory would be grist for the mill. I used to think that any protests or demonstrations should all stick to the facts and basic issues- like, here's what they did to this and that family and they have an RPF and we want people to know. But I've noticed that if one really wants to get a lot of people's attention, one has to be a bit...splashy. This includes levity. It doesn't in any way negate the underlying message that Cof$ is a cult, that they do illegal things, that they are abusive to their members.

And how did I come to see that? I'm going to be honest with you. I learned it from Anons. I've learned a lot from you. I hope to continue to do so.
  25. Soljenitsyne Member

What kind of fun ?
  26. adhocrat Member

The kind of fun you have when you turn off your critical facilities and let someone else determine your behavior.
  27. veravendetter Member

soljenashtray.jpg
  28. Soljenitsyne Member

Ok, that's what I thought.
  29. Soljenitsyne Member

Your are at cause over my loud laughter.
  30. Re: Bullbaiting vs. ashtrays.

Maybe so, maybe not. But just doing the drill was hilarious. That's all.
  31. Re: Bullbaiting vs. ashtrays.

Well, you asked me what I thought was fun. You can both draw whatever conclusions you like about life in cult-dumb- and it is quite true that they impose their thinking on members. This did happen to me, I won't deny it. It happens all the time there. In fact, that's why I left Cof$. However, as to what I personally find fun and why- no one's going to know what that is til I tell them.
  32. adhocrat Member

Why? What was hilarious about it? Was it the way the people reacted? Did it make you feel good to let go? What exactly, made the drill 'hilarious?' Was it the contradiction between raising the ashtray with your hands while intending for it to raise itself. Please explain your reasoning.
  33. Soljenitsyne Member

Why was it funny ? Because it was hilarious.
    But why was it hilarious ? Because it made you laugh.
    All right, but why did it make you laugh ? Because it was funny ?

We're all pre-clears on the Bridge To The Secret Temple Of Your Lulz, VC.
  34. Re: Bullbaiting vs. ashtrays.

Fair question.

Thought it was hilarious to scream at the top of my lungs like that. They had to have special areas for us to do the drill in and then people would still hear it, sometimes. Most culties giggle a bit when they overhear the drill and, like I said, actuallythe yelling is amusing. It's just silly, is all.
  35. Anonymous Member

Like driving piss drunk.
  36. Soljenitsyne Member

All right. Let's say it was just silly.
    Drill = fun = hilarious = just silly.
    My opinion is that you enjoyed the absurd side of the process. Which is understandable. Nonsense is fun. I myself love nonsense.
    But the thing is that scilon Nonsense is extraordinary exprensive, so expensive that Scilons have to wash your brain before they milk your bank account.
    And then, you see, oops, it's not silly anymore. Not funny anymore. Not hilarious at all.

Freezoners pretend to understand the Tech like heavy metal fans pretend to live fast.
  37. adhocrat Member

VC, your reasoning reminds me a lot of study tech. If I don't get it it's because there's a word I don't understand. Never mind that the concept itself makes no sense. Don't bother with underlying concepts, just deal with the surface.

Yes, some people found it funny. But if you've studied psychology, you might realize that much of it was tinged with hysteria and fear. In the famous authority study of Milgram a number of people laughed hysterically when told they had to increase the voltage and shock the people even more. Being forced to do something that goes against the grain it not a proper way to treat people. And if the intent behind it is not what is being told, then all the worse.

This drill is just one more link in a chain crafted by Hubbard to tie your brain up in so many cognitive distortions as to shut your critical facilities down.
  38. Anonymous Member

Why u guys hatin on VC? Big Asholes!
  39. Soljenitsyne Member

Right.

VC, please donwload this : 5501C19 - Group Processing Start Laughing.mp3 , and listen to what happens from 41:17 to 46:17. Isn't it hilarious ? Slaves having fun. Robots laughing out loud. Saturday night zombies.
  40. Re: Bullbaiting vs. ashtrays.

I said that I found it fun to do back when I was doing it and that I've not done the drill since I left the cult. It seemed lulzy at the time. That's all.