Customize

Bundy family of Nevada occupy Oregon Wildlife Refuge headquarters

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Wrong Guy, Jan 3, 2016.

1. The Wrong Guy Member

Ammon Bundy and Militia Occupy Federal Building in Oregon

The Bundy family of Nevada joined with hard-core militiamen Saturday to take over the headquarters of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, vowing to occupy the remote federal outpost 50 miles southeast of Burns for years.

The occupation came shortly after an estimated 300 marchers — militia and local citizens both — paraded through Burns to protest the prosecution of two Harney County ranchers, Dwight Hammond Jr. and Steven Hammond, who are to report to prison on Monday.

Among the occupiers is Ammon Bundy, son of Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy, and two of his brothers. Militia members at the refuge claimed they had as many as 100 supporters with them. The refuge, federal property managed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, was closed and unoccupied for the holiday weekend.

Militia takes over Malheur National Wildlife Refuge headquarters

Statement from Harney County Sheriff Dave Ward:

"After the peaceful rally was completed today, a group of outside militants drove to the Malheur Wildlife Refuge, where they seized and occupied the refuge headquarters. A collective effort from multiple agencies is currently working on a solution. For the time being please stay away from that area. More information will be provided as it becomes available. Please maintain a peaceful and united front and allow us to work through this situation."

The Bundy family of Nevada joined with hard-core militiamen Saturday to take over the headquarters of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, vowing to occupy the remote federal outpost 30 miles southeast of Burns for years.

The occupation came shortly after an estimated 300 marchers — militia and local citizens both — paraded through Burns to protest the prosecution of two Harney County ranchers, Dwight Hammond Jr. and Steven Hammond, who are to report to prison on Monday.

Among the occupiers is Ammon Bundy, son of Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy, and two of his brothers. Militia members at the refuge claimed they had as many as 100 supporters with them. The refuge, federal property managed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, was closed and unoccupied for the holiday weekend.

In phone interviews from inside the occupied building Saturday night, Ammon Bundy and his brother, Ryan Bundy, said they are not looking to hurt anyone. But they would not rule out violence if police tried to remove them, they said.

"The facility has been the tool to do all the tyranny that has been placed upon the Hammonds," Ammon Bundy said.

"We're planning on staying here for years, absolutely," he added. "This is not a decision we've made at the last minute."

Continued here:
    http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...f/2016/01/drama_in_burns_ends_with_quiet.html

Armed protesters take over government building and Twitter goes crazy

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/484985/Oregon-armed-ranchers-seize-building

Armed domestic terrorists take over federal building, but it's OK, they're white

https://boingboing.net/2016/01/03/armed-domestic-terrorists-take.html

Here's a search for news updates:

https://www.bing.com/news/search?q=Bundy&qft=sortbydate="1"

Here's the previous thread, about the Bundy Ranch:

https://whyweprotest.net/threads/bundy-ranch.117983/
  2. RightOn Member

3. Dallasanon Member

What could possibly go wrong? These idiots are only going to get someone killed and help Obama push his gun control agenda.

Unarmed citizens should protest against them and shame them for the shit-stirring ass whipes they are.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. The Internet Member

National parks are some of the coolest things Americans own collectively. Billionaires now want to own them, maybe for pipelines or just because they can. But if we give them up we will never get them back.

Heh, I like this tweet:

• Like Like x 2
  5. The Internet Member

The Hammonds are horrible people not worth defending.

I wonder how the Hammonds managed to convince their original trial judge that a five year sentence was "unconstitutional." Maybe the Hammonds are just that scary.
  6. BLiP Member

I wonder how relaxed the government's response would be if it were 50 armed black-americans taking over a federal building?
  7. The Internet Member

Cripes the Hammonds have been fucking with the Fish and Wildlife Service since the 1980s. An excerpt from an article published in 1994:
  8. The Internet Member

I do not think this is a black white thing. I think it is a law enforcement facing an organized armed militia thing.

From the militia side, seizing Federal property seems a winning move. If the Feds react forcefully, that will escalate the conflict and put their demands on the National front burner. And if the Feds allow a period of occupation, that will validate the militia's armed anti-Federal strategy.

So what winning cards can the Feds play? That is a tougher question to answer.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. The Wrong Guy Member

Oregon farmers at center of grazing rights dispute REJECT Bundy family occupation of federal building and insist they plan to 'peacefully' report to prison on Monday
    • Father and son Dwight Hammond Jr, 73, and Steven Hammond, 46, have been ordered to report to prison on Monday to be charged with arson again
    • They served time three years ago for setting fires on their land to kill plants
    • A judge has now ruled their sentences were insufficient
    • Protesting for their freedom, militia members with as many as 150 supporters have occupied a government building in Princeton, Oregon
    • But the Hammond family has rejected their support, their lawyer said
    • Occupiers include Ammon and Ryan Bundy, sons of Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy, who was involved in a 2014 standoff over grazing rights
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ist-plan-peacefully-report-prison-Monday.html

Law enforcement agencies announce no plans to tackle Oregon militia during second day in federal building

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...action-armed-oregon-militia-article-1.2483923

Bundy Family, Sovereign Citizen Loons Have Special Constitution That Says They Can Steal All Our Shit

http://wonkette.com/597530/bundy-fa...titution-that-says-they-can-steal-all-our-sht
  10. DeathHamster Member

Dirty occupy hippies!
  11. Random guy Member

12. The Wrong Guy Member

13. Jeff Jacobsen Member

I'd cut them off from supplies, cut power and phone, and let them run out of food. No reason for anybody to die, unless they want to starve to death.
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Sekee Member

Wow! Most countries spend vast amounts of money and police time to round up heavily armed militias and lock them up in federal buildings. In the US their militias do it to themselves. Bravo!
    • Like Like x 2
  15. The Wrong Guy Member

Oregon militia occupying wildlife refuge wants to overthrow government, says sheriff | The Guardian

On the second day of their armed occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, the Bundy militia shifted tactics. From a state of lockdown they moved to a charm offensive, inviting a small media contingent inside their redoubt, with warm smiles and waves.

The local sheriff was not convinced. “These men came to Harney County claiming to be part of militia groups supporting local ranchers,” Sheriff David Ward said in a statement, “when in reality these men had alternative motives, to attempt to overthrow the county and federal government in hopes to spark a movement across the United States”.

Continued here:
    http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ge-wants-to-overthrow-government-says-sheriff
  16. Nevadans occupying Oregon? Those guys are supposedly States Righters.
  17. The Internet Member

They all are serving as useful idiots for the oil and gas industry, which will gobble up the Federal lands five minutes after they come under state control.
  18. Disambiguation Global Moderator

"atmosphere ‏@atmosphere
    they called them angry dudes in oregon #YallQaeda waging #YeeHawd, and i almost died.

annie post ‏@apwriter
    If your master plan is to overthrow the world's most powerful government and you attack a remote bird sanctuary you might be #YallQaeda"

Cut off the electricity. Winter is coming. (15* this week)
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Nice burn
  20. Dallasanon Member

YeHawd! Omfg that's funny right there.
  21. BLiP Member

Sure - perhaps this specific incident isn't a black-vs-white thing, but it does highlight the racism inherent in the US system. White privilege is an armed group entering a federal building and refusing to leave in the knowledge that no one will be shot.
  22. The Wrong Guy Member

0m3Rowuf.jpg

https://twitter.com/Ammon_Bundy

Ammon Bundy ‏@Ammon_Bundy 19 hours ago
    Thank you to everyone who's showing support for us and what we stand for.
    #OregonUnderAttack

Ammon Bundy ‏@Ammon_Bundy 17 hours ago
    This is the people's land now.
    #Burns #OregonUnderAttack #OccupyBLM

Ammon Bundy ‏@Ammon_Bundy 15 hours ago
    For the record, when I speak against #BLM, I'm talking about the The Bureau of Land Management not that other movement that uses #BLM.

Ammon Bundy ‏@Ammon_Bundy 9 hours ago
    Unlike other protest that have taken place in this country over the last year and a half we have not put anyone in danger.
    #OregonUnderAttack

We have not destroyed any property, businesses, or harmed any citizens. #OregonUnderAttack This is truly a peaceful protest against the #BLM.

Ammon Bundy ‏@Ammon_Bundy 5 hours ago
    It feels good to be surrounded by so many good people who are here standing up against a corrupt government.
    #OccupyMalheur

Ammon Bundy ‏@Ammon_Bundy 3 hours ago
    We want the government to abide by the Constitution and play by rules. This is what this protest is about.
    #OccupyMalheur

Ammon Bundy ‏@Ammon_Bundy 1 hour ago
    As I said on @CNN this morning, I love my wife and family. I have no plans nor desire to die. We are peaceful people.
    #OccupyMalheur
  23. DeathHamster Member

White In Name Only?
  24. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  25. The Wrong Guy Member

Twitter users skewer Oregon militia with hilarious hashtags | New York Daily News

With hashtags from #YallQaeda to #VanillaISIS, Twitter users are having a ball skewering the homegrown militia that took over a federal building in Oregon Saturday.

<snipped>

Proponents of the self-proclaimed militia have tweeted their support under the hashtag #OregonUnderAttack — but opponents have retaliated with some hilarious hashtags of their own.

One user quipped, “I”m waiting for the declaration of a new nation Teabagistan. #YallQaeda.”

<snipped>

Twitter didn’t stop at #YallQaeda, though. User Brian Powers posted a pic of a potbellied man in camo holding a rifle, along with the hashtag #MealTeam6.

More here:
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-militia-hilarious-hashtags-article-1.2484533
    • Like Like x 1
  26. The Wrong Guy Member

Regardless of Your Stance on Bundy Ranch 2.0, Supporting the Bureau of Land Management is Wrong

By John Vibes, The Free Thought Project

Quote:

This week, militia members have begun a standoff with federal agents after occupying Malheur National Wildlife Refuge HQ in Oregon. The protesters are refusing to leave and are demonstrating against the impending imprisonment of two ranchers, and the overreaching policies of The Bureau of Land Management, a federal agency that has been appropriating land for their own benefit.

The organization claims that they are environmentalists and that their goal is conservation. However, they have made many moves over the past several years that expose their true motives. Not only are they responsible for killing protected species of animals, but they also regularly sell off land that they have appropriated to fracking companies that will obviously be destroying the ecosystem.

In 2013, it was reported that the BLM sold 29 federal land leases which covered more than 56 square miles in northeast Nevada. The agency itself reported that the oil and gas leases in Elko County sold for $1.27 million to six different companies.

Every single one of these leases was purchased under the pretense that they would be used for natural gas fracking, a process that is known to contaminate water supplies and destroy local ecosystems. The BLM claims that they are seizing land to preserve it for environmental protection. However, it is evident that environmental protection is not their goal if they are selling vast areas of land to fracking companies.

That same year the BLM was sued in California for their business with fracking companies. According to the lawsuit, the BLM violated the National Environmental Policy Act by turning over federally protected land to fracking companies.

Researchers at Berkley reported, “The Northern District of California court held that when BLM sold four leases in 2011 for 2,700 acres of federal land in Monterey and Fresno counties, it violated NEPA by relying on outdated environmental reviews that did not address the increased prevalence of fracking in California and nationwide. The court found that BLM’s dismissal of development scenarios involving fracking as “outside of its jurisdiction” was insufficient to provide the “hard look” at environmental consequences required by NEPA.”

According to Berkley’s research, the BLM manages approximately 248 million acres and is responsible for about 700 million acres of subsurface mineral resources in the United States. These lands and resources are not held for conservation purposes, but instead large areas are auctioned off to fracking companies.

Continued here:
    http://thefreethoughtproject.com/bl...l-atrocities-concerned-wildlife-conservation/
    • Like Like x 2
  27. The Internet Member

Whoa I didn't know the BLM was leasing wilderness areas for fracking.

I was wondering, where is what used to be the Forestry Service? Or the National Parks Service? I am a retard and do not know if everything is BLM now or not.

Okay I got an idea: Occupy Bubba's Hut. Basically, some Feds find a place the militia guys like to hang out at and they go there and take it over. Maybe Mr. Bundy's RV or pickup truck. Quid pro quo.

Another idea: figure out how much this occupation of the Wildlife Center is costing US taxpayers. Divide that by the number of wingnuts involved and bill each of them. No car loans or mortgages until that shit is paid off.
  28. The Wrong Guy Member

The Bundy Militia Raid on Burns: What the Media Left Out

By John Borowski

Excerpt:

1 Ammond Bundy’s false narrative should be exposed. He is the son of a rancher that grazes on your public lands: at a reduced cost. He has avoided paying his fees. I am older: I call those types….deadbeats or true welfare queens. They are not patriots: they are acting like thugs and bringing in outside influences who don’t give a damn about Oregon.

2 They are breaking onto our land and our tax payer funded building in Malheur. Their excuse? The Cliven Bundy crew is defending the conviction of the Hammond family (a father ands son). They destroyed OUR PUBLIC PROPERTY to cover up their illegal hunting/killing deer. FACTS MATTER. Witnesses at trial, including a relative of the Hammonds, testified the arson occurred shortly after Steven Hammond and his hunting party illegally slaughtered several deer on BLM property. Jurors were told that Steven Hammond handed out “Strike Anywhere” matches with instructions that they be lit and dropped on the ground because they were going to “light up the whole country on fire.” One witness testified that he barely escaped the eight to ten foot high flames caused by the arson. The fire consumed 139 acres of public land and destroyed all evidence of the game violations.

3 The Bundy crew is being manipulated by powerful interests who want to privatize public lands. This is not new. In the 1970s: it was called the Sagebrush Rebellion. In the 1990s: the Wise Use Movement. These are efforts by mining, timber, grazing, oil and gas interests to privatize your public lands.

4 Our public lands are crucial for wildlife, purifying water and air, providing recreation and tourist dollars for local economies. Know this: more and more extraction is occurring ON OUR PUBLIC lands. Time to stop this.

5 The false narrative here is that big, bad government types are trying to stir up trouble. In reality: from Ted Cruz to powerful extractive industries: they are desperately seeking ways to give these lands, our lands: back to the states. Then: let the extraction begin with sales of our prized lands to the highest bidder.

http://www.counterpunch.org/2016/01/04/the-bundy-militia-raid-on-burns-what-the-media-left-out/

Oregon Militia Wants to 'Free' Occupied Land for Logging, But There Are No Trees

https://motherboard.vice.com/read/o...upied-land-for-logging-but-there-are-no-trees
  29. The Internet Member

Unlike other protest that have taken place in this country over the last year and a half we have not put anyone in danger.
    #OregonUnderAttack

We have not destroyed any property, businesses, or harmed any citizens. #OregonUnderAttack This is truly a peaceful protest against the #BLM.

This shit pisses me off. These guys are armed and they have said they are willing to kill anyone who tries to stop them. Just because no one is dead doesn't mean they are "peaceful."
  30. Random guy Member

Whether the BLM or the Bundy's are saints or crocks is actually immaterial. The relevant thing is that a bunch of self proclaimed militia has done a break and entry on some rangers den and are sitting there with their laps full of guns and refuses to leave for somewhat nebulous reasons.
  31. The Internet Member

Teargas dropped onto the ranger station might be a solution.
  32. Random guy Member

Nah, I think just kill the power, blockade the roads in and out. These guys want a jihad, and when it fails to appear, they'll quickly grow tired of it. After a few days, the reality that they may be sitting in a shitty legal situation with no help from any general uprising will probably make them splinter into a number of fractions which will end the occupation really fast. Considering the first to turn rat will be the will have a chance to cooperate with authorities for reduced sentence, I think this will be over in a week.
  33. The Wrong Guy Member

Arizona's Jon Ritzheimer Is In Oregon With Bundy Protest 2.0 | Phoenix New Times

Arizona’s infamous anti-Islam leader, Jon Ritzheimer, is hunkered down with about a dozen other armed “patriots” in buildings on a federal wildlife refuge as part of an armed protest against the federal government.

He says he’s been in Harney County, a rural ranching area in eastern Oregon, for at least a week and a half to fight for the freedom and constitutional rights of all Americans.

“You see, swore an oath to protect and defend the Constitution, which is blatantly under attack. But the only way to defend it is to actually take a stand and defend it,” Ritzheimer says in a new video he posted on social media to explain his actions.

“I’ve had to do a lot of soul searching up here. And I’m with good people who have also had to do a lot of soul searching – some people that have been doing this soul searching for years. And I am 100 percent willing to lay my life down to fight against tyranny in this country.”

Continued here:
    http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news...er-is-in-oregon-with-bundy-protest-20-7944412
  34. Dallasanon Member

Someone should remind them of the Waco stand off and how our government had no problem burning people alive including children.
  35. The Internet Member

To be fair, I do think it is kinda fucked up to jack up someone's prison sentence years after the original sentencing. But I also don't understand how the original judge could waive the mandatory 5 year minimum. I wonder if he felt threatened. If so, fuck those guys and their death threats.

Anyway, if review of the original sentence could have been done in a timely fashion, I would feel better about the appeal court's decision to extend the sentence.

Courts seem to take a long time these days. Probably too much work and not enough people to do it, like everywhere else.
  36. The Wrong Guy Member

37. The Wrong Guy Member

38. RightOn Member

I don't like what the BLM is doing with the land and it is should be stopped. But not this way. Why isn't it illegal for the BLM to sell this property?
    This is not a peaceful or legal protest in any stretch of the imagination, just because they say it is.
    Brandishing guns, camo gear and making public threats is NOT peaceful.:confused:

I hope nobody gets hurt.
    But since they say they are not going to leave, and will use force if they have to.....
    I don't think this is going to end very well.:(
    • Like Like x 1
  39. The Internet Member

The wildlife refuge is Malheur Lake and a relatively narrow strip of land along the Donner und Blitzen river which flows northward into the lake. Seems more of a creek from pics I have seen. Very pretty area.
    Donner_und_Blitzen_River,_Harney_County,_Oregon.jpg
    The wildlife refuge doesn't have forest, mines, or natural gas. So it's not going to be leased to a nasty corporation as far as I can tell.

Years of over-grazing have damaged the Malheur ecosystem which is important for migrating birds. The lake serves as a freshwater oasis within an area known as "high desert."
    If you are into birding, April is a great time to visit the refuge.
    Woah, that is a lot of birdies:
    Thanks to the US Federal government, someday I might go visit this amazing birdie highway and take some pics. So no, I do not feel the wildlife center is an oppressive tyranny we need to fight.