Customize

California bans Gay Conversion Psychotherapy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Anonymous Member

California bans psychotherapy that is supposed to make gay teens straight.

http://news.yahoo.com/california-law-bans-gay-teen-conversion-therapy-053700163.html

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

Wonder how long before conservative Christian groups like Exodus International have a bawww fest saying it infringes on their religious rights?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Anonymous Member

Soon, they will ban scientology from operating.

And that will be a lulzy day indeed.

Won't stop the crazies that believe all that dianetics bullshit, but it will destroy the corporate cult.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Anonymous Member

Ah but this is not about religion. This is about what licensed medical doctors.

Religions can still have all the woo woo programs they want to, but they can't claim that they are in any way medical.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Anonymous Member

Misleading title. For a moment I thought that California joined the CCHR in their fight against psychiatry.
  6. Anonymous Member

I agree. The title is awful since the particular psychotherapy treatment that was banned in California was the only one we approved of.

-OSA
  7. DeathHamster Member

• Like Like x 3
  8. Missfit Member

• Like Like x 1
  9. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

I see what you did there lol.

While I am sure that is true that the law is geared more towards homeopathy bullshit "medical" treatments, I am not so sure the Religious Right will perceive the law that way.

You can't reason with the unreasonable. They may see the law and go "ZOMG! They are going to block us!!!" even if they aren't medically treating anybody.
  10. Sonichu Moderator

I agree. The "Report" button worked and it helped people. Thread title is less ambiguous now
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Anonymous Member

but what about gay adults who want that therapy??
  12. Anonymous Member

There does not exist any therapy that has been shown to change a person's sexual orientation. If an adult insists they want to change anyway, there are surely plenty of scam artists willing to take their money. The Scientology corporation for example.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Anonymous Member

that is pretty big news.
  14. Anonymous Member

15. muldrake Member

Clearly, the next step of those evil liberals will be the nullification of all straight marriages, followed by mandatory gay marriage to an illegal immigrant Muslim terrorist. Don't say I didn't warn you!
  16. moarxenu Member

This is somewhat of a derail but I don't recall any threads with detail on some of these questions:

18. Are you currently paying all your taxes? -- WTF is this all about?
  17. wolfbane Member

And integral part of the IRS deal. The cult has to ensure their members pay taxes.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. And thanks for that too. The past is always needed for subtext and Synanon has been on my mind recently as well. Dunno why, but I'm reminded of them lately.

In b4 snakes.;)
  19. Anonymous Member

Can OSA help me become gay?
  20. Anonymous Member

http://gma.yahoo.com/student-got-gay-cure-sues-california-over-law-180012521--abc-news-health.html

You were right on the ball, but i doubt their lawsuit will go anywhere since it is based on the notion that medical treatment in this case is a form of free speech.

21. muldrake Member

They're entirely allowed to preach at people that being gay is evil and that they should stop.

What they are not allowed to do is peddle their bigotry as "medicine" and swindle people out of money for doing it.

(Unlike a certain other "religion" which remains legal.)
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. DeathHamster Member

Yeah, and I didn't hit any those threads until after this one. ?FTW
  23. Missfit Member

I have never been more active than in the past few weeks, Took a few year long hiatus to focus on life and more about rehab centers. Looks like I can do it all in one board now!!! my life = so much less complicated= less tabs on firefox lol
  24. Anonymous Member

25. DeathHamster Member

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...rapped-in-abusive-cult-like-treatment-centres
    https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/jm5ng4/the-legal-industry-for-kidnapping-teens
    Could Synanon just fucking die already?
    • Like Like x 1
  26. Most Psychiatrist are gay. not meaning homosexual
  27. Disambiguation Global Moderator