Customize

Canon PowerShot camera hacking

Discussion in 'How To' started by DeathHamster, Feb 10, 2012.

1. DeathHamster Member

Some glorious bastards have put together a hack package which allows low-end Canon PowerShot cameras to do some very nice things including time-lapse photography, motion detection, and USB control...

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
    Possible uses:
    • Creating time-lapse backgrounds for Anonymous videos. :rolleyes:
    • A camera on tripod to record all the traffic in and out of an org for a few hours.
    • Night sky time-lapse with a long exposure setting.
    If you have a different make of camera, it might be worth looking to see if there's a similar package for your camera.

P.S. This is hacking in the old school sense, not techno-vandals. Nothing illegal about it.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Yes, yes, thank you Death Hamster. I've used this for some time on my Canon camera, and it works (no, OSA, I'm not telling you what model I have). And the hack is totally reversible -- a few seconds, and it's like it was never hacked!

(Note that if your memory card is too large, you'll need to set up two partitions. I recommend linux for this.)

I like the battery meter. And overexposed (or too dark) parts of the image will flash on the LCD display before you snap the shutter, so you can maybe change the lighting. Nice. Most Canons have these features, but they are turned off as shipped from the factory.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Anonymous Member

I remember the hacks for the maiden voyage version of the Canon Digital Rebel. They rocked!
  4. DeathHamster Member

I heard about the hack from an article on the technical details of the awesome Lego Man balloon.
  5. AnonSpectre Member

I've heard about these before. Worth a try.