Customize

Carol Nyburg Exits Scientology Inc and Sea Org after 26 years

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by Anonymous, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Anonymous Member

Carol Nyburg (Vedder) is OUT - My 26 years in the Sea Org
    http://www.scientology-cult.com/carol-nyburg-vedder-is-out.html

Excerpt:
    HT - ESMB: http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...ntology-Inc-and-Sea-Org-after-26-years-within

• Like Like x 6
  2. Anonymous Member

I took the time to read her story, and it is an eye-opener! If you want to know how difficult things have been over the last 10 years in the cult - read her story - she was in until 2008. I'm amazed that anyone's left in the SO!

http://www.scientology-cult.com/caro...er-is-out.html
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Chipshotz Member

Gotta love exit stories but after all this time it's still crazy what people go through, leave, then return for more. Glad she's out.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Anonymous Member

Yeah, its tough for them, especially with hungry feral auditors specializing in getting vulnerable people forking over cash for fresh mind fuck. Vultures.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Anonymous Member

I read the long version of this story. There are lots of things about this story that are missing. Did she divorce Frank after she said she wouldn't? She doesn't say who divorced who, just that they got divorced. To me, it sounds more like she left her job at age 61, like most people do. I realize she couldn't keep up with the drills, lack of sleep, punishments, but it sounds like if she was younger and physically able, she would be fine with it. She doesn't say anything about her son except that he left Scn in 1998. Her poor daughter growing up at Flag since age 1, that's a sad story right there. And living as a 4-person family in a motel room for years, who does that? Not seeing your mom for 10 years and being OK with that, how is that normal?

If I sound harsh, it's because I've seen people do the same type of thing outside of Scn to their families, that is, give everything to their job, just with better financial compensation. I'm glad she's out, I hope she is able to find peace in her senior years.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Anonymous Member

The actual exit itself is interesting.

I think we should share this information with people inside Scientology. They may not know that in the outside world, you can "eat whatever you want" (!) and enjoy the luxury of a Holiday Inn Express.
    I believe this could be called bathos.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Anonymous Member

Good point. In Scientology you don't get a retirement party and a gold watch for 40 years of service. In the U.S., you received social security retirement benefits as early as age 62, based on your wages during your working life. If you only received $50 per week, I think that benefit would be miniscule. And there are no 401Ks in the SO.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. fishypants Moderator

This is a good point.

Is there a Scientology staff retirement plan, or do you just keep working until you drop dead?
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Quentinanon Member

No retirement plans in scientology. Not too many scilons drop dead while working. Elderly sea ogres get put into a government subsidised assisted living facility.
    • Like Like x 4
  10. Its a well told, interesting and very familiar story.

I'm not sure how peachy the old days really were but anything has got to be better than constantly selling overpriced books to people that already have them.
    • Like Like x 4
  11. Anonymous Member

More info from Karen on ESMB:

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...within&p=787341&viewfull=1#post787341
  12. anon walker Moderator

What's whack is her reminiscing about good times back in the 80s, right after describing how she raised her kids in a one room motel room. Yeah...good times. And she managed over 200 hotel rooms and did not get to live in any of them, just the Quality Inn.

Cult really knows how to do it wrong...
    • Like Like x 7
  13. Anonymous Member

Tony Ortega is covering Carol leaving the COS:

tonyortega.org/2013/03/20/scientology-ordered-to-turn-over-confidential-files-in-forced-abortion-lawsuit/

Excerpt:
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Anonymous Member

I went over to the AARP website and did a calculation of social security retirement benefits based on earning $50 per week for an entire work history. Retiring at age 62 gets you $225 per month, up to retiring at age 70 gets you $396 per month. Good luck trying to live on that.
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 2
  16. Anonymous Member

From Karen at ESMB: http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...6-years-within&p=787401&viewfull=1#post787401
    • Like Like x 1
  17. YouSeeNothing Member

Another sad story. I'm either too tired or too jaded, but I can't get past this paragraph:
    She still feels that the tech will save the world? I'm guessing she is fresh out of the cult and hasn't decompressed at all?

Why don't the exes pool their money, seek donations and open a halfway house/decompression center and advertise it to let people know there's a way out? Maybe I should have asked, has there ever been a halfway house of sorts? Seems like a common thread with escapees is that they're all afraid that there's no one and no place they can run to.
    • Like Like x 5
  18. Anonymous Member

I'm sure this comment will garner a few thumbs down, but there's something about Karen de la Carriere that gets on my nerves when she complains about her son having "no dad and no mom". I don't get how someone can still drink the cult juice as an Indie but point fingers at others for things she did to her own son.
    • Like Like x 5
  19. Anonymous Member

Understood. Karen was originally operating on a higher purpose to clear the planet and a true believer. Her priorities and many of her views changed since then, but not all. She did all she could in the last few years to reconcile with her son and help him and Heber. She wasn't successful.

Getting completely over scn takes years. The emotional trauma Karen went through makes it more difficult for her.
    • Like Like x 5
  20. Anonymous Member

As quoted above, one thing Karen said is:
    My perception is that, regardless of what is she did or failed to do in the past, she is helping people now.

I understand your position about her "drinking[ing] the cult juice as an Indie." Then again, I suspect that if she wasn't an Indie corporate Scientologists she communicates with who are still in, but thinking of coming out, wouldn't communicate to her at all. Initially, at least, it may be that the class of corporate Scientologists who are willing to reject DM, but cling to "the tech" and LRH, is larger than the class of corporate Scientologists who are immediately willing to reject DM, LRH and all of the Tech -- in other words, in many cases their entire lives.

For corporate Scientologists who fall within the first class, who are they going to communicate with first? Karen, or you, a person who will tell them that everything they have ever believed in is utter crap?

Unlike some others, Karen is a wealthy art dealer and doesn't do this for money. My impression is that she is helping people the best she can. FWIW, I doubt that her ceasing to be an Indie would enhance her ability to help members of her target group, and might hinder ability to do so. YMMV
    • Like Like x 2
  21. rickybobby Member

They retire with crushing debt, their only assets are all the various incarnations of the e meters and the sets of RonBooks that they have been forced to buy over the years.
    • Like Like x 4
  22. rickybobby Member

• Like Like x 1
  23. rickybobby Member

But kudos for her for continuing her journey of self discovery, helping others in their journey, and not just fading off into the sunset. She may not be fully free from the kool-aid, but she is doing the best she knows how. She doesn't have to reach out, but she does.
    • Like Like x 2
  24. Anonymous Member

More from Karen at ESMB: http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...mp;amp;p=787446&viewfull=1#post787446

• Like Like x 1
  25. Anonymous Member

This person has just newly left Scientology and has views typical of someone having newly left.

I hope that the Independent Scientology Propaganda wing don't exploit her too much.

She will probably change her views over time.

The Independent Scientology Propagandists likely won't change, although some are quite clever at faking it, so as to be accepted by those they are trying to influence.

Best wishes to Carol.
    • Like Like x 1
  26. Anonymous Member

Nah, she been out three years. Trouble is the vultures got her and plugged her straight back into an emeter.
    • Like Like x 2
  27. YouSeeNothing Member

I find that even sadder than her original story.
    • Like Like x 3
  28. Anonymous Member

You mean the Independent Scientology Vultures?

And now she's being put on display by the same Vultures.

They've probably "love-bombed" her too.

God, it never stops.
    • Like Like x 1
  29. Random guy Member

She'll wake up. The Indies can't keep up the same thought pressure the organized cult can.
    • Like Like x 2
  30. The Wrong Guy Member

Tony Ortega wrote this today:

CAROL NYBURG WROTE THAT ESCAPE STORY A YEAR AGO

Yesterday, we marveled at Carol Nyburg’s escape narrative that she posted to Steve Hall’s blog. A Sea Org worker for 26 years, Nyburg was a familiar face at Flag, the Church of Scientology’s spiritual mecca in Clearwater, Florida. Her story of getting fed up with church leader David Miscavige’s methods of control made for a gripping tale.

We talked to her last night, and she told us that she actually wrote that narrative a year ago, and it had taken that long before she had the nerve to give Hall the go-ahead to publish it. But even though she held on to it for so long, she said the act of writing it paid off for her immediately.

Continued at
    http://tonyortega.org/2013/03/21/the-mother-and-child-reunion-another-dianetics-nightmare/
    • Like Like x 3
  31. Anonymous Member

Good to see.
    • Like Like x 2
  32. anon walker Moderator

I've noticed that too...inside the cult, you are bombarded daily with phone calls, emails etc. Once out from under that big ol' thumb, as time goes by the stuff you thought made perfect sense suddenly doesn't any more. The urgency is gone. The siege mentality is gone. The constant fearmongering; threats from psychs, wogs, SPs etc. is gone.

Once the pressure is off, the mind can begin to bloom again.
    • Like Like x 6
  33. Anonymous Member

So much for the 4 months so many reported back in the 80's. Proof that Rpf is less a program and more a prison sentence.
    • Like Like x 2
  34. Anonymous Member

The abuses began in the 1960s and 1970s.

The RPF was always abusive.

The children's RPF begun in 1976.

Passing the buck to Source's Apprentice, Miscavige, only goes so far.
    • Like Like x 4
  35. Anonymous Member

Rinder & security guard apologized to Carol Nyburg; daughter disconnected.

Update from Tony Ortega.

http://tonyortega.org/2013/03/21/the-mother-and-child-reunion-another-dianetics-nightmare/

Excerpt:
    • Like Like x 2
  36. Anonymous Member

Disconnection, easily the most toxic practice of the cult. If I got fed up with Channology, disconnection would get me back. Every time.
    • Like Like x 2
  37. DeathHamster Member

Isn't amazing? Everytime that I think that I'll drift away, Scientology finds a way to piss me off, again!
    • Like Like x 4
  38. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  39. Anonymous Member

Must have been awful getting that telling from Rinder. How wonderful he's apologised. Any chance he might do the same to Gerry Armstrong?
    • Like Like x 3