Customize

Catholic woman fired after refusing Scientology courses at ‘alkalized water’ company: lawsuit

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by mojo, May 2, 2016.

1. The Wrong Guy Member

Catholic woman heartlessly fired for refusing to support Scientology | Catholic Online

Last paragraph:

Amy Rose, the legal director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Nevada, explained Echevarria-Hernandez must prove she was fired and denied raises based on religious discrimination, or must prove the religious environment in the workplace kept her from completing tasks.

http://www.catholic.org/news/national/story.php?id=68759
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Brent Jones strikes back! Blames "Governor and his pro tax cartel" for lawsuit.

Public Slate: Are Governor Sandoval and His Allies So Desperate to Stop Assemblyman Brent Jones They Would Use a Troubled Girl?

http://thepublicslate.com/2016/05/a...n-brent-jones-they-would-use-a-troubled-girl/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Are Governor Sandoval and His Allies So Desperate to Stop Assemblyman Brent Jones They Would Use a Troubled Girl?

By DiMarkco Chandler - May 4, 2016

Governor Sandoval’s allies took a kill shot at one of the Governor’s most vocal critics, Assemblyman Brent Jones, yesterday. Using their allies in the local media to disseminate the story, just weeks before early voting is set to start in the primary election, a lawsuit was filed against Jones’s business Real Water, using a past employee who was fired, angry over money and with a history of prescription drug problems, according to sources.

Grecia Echevarria-Hernandez, a self-described Catholic, filed a discrimination lawsuit April, 26 alleging she was forced to watch religious videos as an employee of Real Water, Jones’ business.

Bonnie Mercado, Hernandez’s direct supervisor, who was also raised Catholic said; “I would never have worked at Real Water for the past 2 years if they tried to convert me to Scientology.” Mercado works as a brand ambassador. She also supervises all other brand ambassadors and merchandisers, like Hernandez. According to Mercado, Hernandez never filed any formal or informal complaints about the videos while working there. Hernandez in fact reportedly told Mercado she enjoyed the video.

The video in question is called “The Secret,” based on a book written by Rhonda Byrne which is available in Clark County Public school libraries. According to the school library The Secret is a motivational book about overcoming life’s challenges and has nothing to do with Scientology. After being featured in two episodes of The Oprah Winfrey Show, the book reached the top of The New York Times’ bestseller list, where it remained for 146 consecutive weeks. The book has been translated into 44 languages and has over 21 million copies.

According to Mercado, Hernandez was hired off Craigslist to be a merchandiser. She was required to drive around all day to different stores that Real Water products were in and make sure the product presentation was in order and making sure the store managers were aware of the product positioning in the stores. Hernandez crashed two Real Water vehicles over the 6 months she worked there. According to Mercado, she also filed false reports claiming she visited stores every day over a two week period when in fact she never visited the stores in question. Hernandez collected money for those two weeks according to her supervisor.

Following the filing of false reports, Hernandez was fired on October 9, 2015. Again, in those six months the videos in question never came up according to Mercado.

Mercado said Hernandez always talked about her money problems and even a past prescription drug problem. She was living with her mother due to money issues at the time.

According to public records, Hernandez has a judgment against her for $1,233 in favor of Capital One Bank Credit Card Company from 2014 and court records show no payments to date.

Hernandez used to work for a personal injury lawyer before working at Real Water. NEWSMAXTV LAS VEGAS is trying to verify if it’s the same lawyer representing her now in this case. Hernandez’s lawyer representing her is Maier Gutierrez Ayon. According to public records Ayon made numerous donations to Democrats and Establishment Republicans over the years including Lucy Flores, who’s now running for congressional district 3, and past Assemblyman Majority Leader William Horne.

Finally Mercado described Hernandez this way; “She’s just someone with money issues and sees a chance to make some quick bucks.”

Brent Jones responded on the Kevin Wall show this morning saying “I’m not at all surprised that three weeks outside of an election that the Governor and his pro tax cartel are again trying to take me down. They have tried over and over but the people stand with me and I stand with them. The Governor and his Establishment politicians have betrayed the people who trusted them. I will continue to fight for the people, small business owners, against taxes, against Common Core. It’s time we take on the Establishment head on! And I have no problem leading the charge.”

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *
    • Like Like x 1
  3. The Daily Mail now has an article.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ses-participated-self-betterment-courses.html

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Catholic woman is 'fired from Las Vegas water company for not accepting Scientology', lawsuit claims

Grecia Echevarria-Hernandez said she worked as a brand ambassador

She claims she was told to watch Scientology videos to get a pay rise

Court documents claim she felt uncomfortable because of the pressure

The company is led by Las Vegas Republican Assemblyman Brent Jones

By DARREN BOYLE FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 02:37 EST, 4 May 2016 | UPDATED: 10:31 EST, 4 May 2016

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *
    • Like Like x 2
  4. BigBeard Member

The difference is no one charges you for holy water, or claims you'll get any health benefits from drinking it.

BigBeard
    • Like Like x 2
  5. The Internet Member

DiMarkco Chandler is a very shitty journalist. Using words, almost like a normal person, phrases were written, using ill defined pronouns, this sentence no verb, according to sources.
    Oh wow google gave me a lol.
    Dead agent tech is a bad look for Dimarkco and his buddy (presumably) Mr. Jones.
  6. anon8109 Member

• Like Like x 1
  7. RightOn Member

of course.
    But still just as nutty
  8. DeathHamster Member

I think I have something archived from one of Dimarkco Chandler's sites before I realized that it wasn't a real news site.

Aha, here we go:
    http://guardianlv.com/2012/07/scien...ruise-and-john-travoltas-membership-fool-you/

Not exactly pro-Scientology. I think he just takes any kind of fluff he can find.

The author Rob Lauer? Seems likely:
    http://lasvegassun.com/news/2015/mar/13/gop-operative-targeted-extortion-case-says-hes-doi/
  9. The Wrong Guy Member

Here are the DOX on the Nevada “Real Water” lawsuit

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, May 5, 2016

As we mentioned yesterday, there’s quite a mashup of fun stuff that has come together in the story of a new lawsuit in Nevada. Grecia Echevarria-Hernandez, a Catholic woman living in Las Vegas, filed suit on April 26 against the company that produces Real Alkalized Water. She had started working at the company the year before, but she was forced to watch Scientology videos and was told she would get raises for every Scientology course she completed. She refused to do the Scientology courses, and then was later fired.

“Real Water” preys on the gullible, claiming to have health benefits because it contains more “electrons,” which is like a restaurant saying its hamburgers are better because they contain atoms. The product is the brain child of Scientologist and Tea Party politician Brent Jones, who was elected to Nevada’s legislature in 2014. We’re going to keep an eye on this case, which is already getting a lot of (rather derisive) national attention.

In the meantime, here’s the actual court complaint, for our many readers who are document hounds.

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2016/05/05/how-ron-miscaviges-memoir-reads-to-a-former-scientologist/
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Nevada Assembly member Brent Jones responds to accusations of pro-Scientology religious discrimination.

KDWN: Nevada Assembly, owner of Real Water, Brent Jones responds to accusations of religious discrimination at Real Water

http://kdwn.com/2016/05/05/nevada-a...ns-of-religious-discrimination-at-real-water/

Audio of link.

* * * * * BEGIN INTRODUCTION * * * * *

A catholic woman fired from her job at a bottled water company led by a Nevada Assemblyman filed a federal lawsuit against the business, saying she was pressured to watch videos on Scientology and was denied pay raises because of her religious beliefs. The woman filed the discrimination lawsuit against Las Vegas-based affinitylifestyles.com, also known as Real Water. Republican assemblyman Brent Jones is president of the company. He spoke exclusively with Dave and Chad on KDWN to give his side of the story.

* * * * * END INTRODUCTION * * * * *

Download

http://media.blubrry.com/bbgi_kdwn/p/content.blubrry.com/bbgi_kdwn/brent_jones_podcast.mp3
    • Like Like x 2
  11. DeathHamster Member

Aaaaargh, my ears are bleeding!

A slimy dodge on The Secret. What about the Scientology stuff she had to watch?

Establishment media, conspiracy, Area 51, blah-blah-blah, Message to Grakia 1800s or was it 1900s? (It was 1899 Brent), you don't go to a church and pray (a little truefact sprinkled in), no not just "thrown out of the papers", a law firm that donates to both political parties but not the crazies--shocking!, Prosperity keyword, aand that's all I can stand.

Facebook comments.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. DeathHamster Member

Brent Jones' quack water claims to have a pH of 8 right on the bottle.

realwater-splash.jpg
    And yet, when people test that with pH testing strips, he gives a complete nonsense excuse of why they don't work: "Because... Minerals!"

RealWater.jpg

The solution and meter tests are easily rigged by a dishonest scammer.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. JohnnyRUClear Member

Can they also be performed by an honest tester?
  14. DeathHamster Member

A qualified independent tester could do it, sure.

But their baloney explanation of why pH strips don't work seems like a smokescreen to distract the suckers and believers.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. DeathHamster Member

• Like Like x 2
  16. DeathHamster Member

Org Chart on the wall at the start of this video:

• Like Like x 2
  17. DeathHamster Member

Speaking of dishonest scammers...

• Like Like x 3
  18. DeathHamster Member

19. DeathHamster Member

20. JohnnyRUClear Member

Interesting. Can we be certain that's an org chart? We can't read anything on it, so all we can see is the structure...
  21. DeathHamster Member

It has the bumps for Division 1 and 5, and the other trimmings.
    10b-eng-ot-comm-org-bd.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Quentinanon Member

Brent Jones is blabbering lies again.

http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Core/Ph...tudies/Acid_and_Base_Indicators/PH_Indicators
    In my high school chemistry course the instructor dipped a pH strip in distilled vinegar (no minerals) and it turned red, acidic. She then dipped another strip in ammonia (no minerals) and it turned blue, alkaline. I used an electronic pH meter in college chemistry and you can change the calibration so it arbitrarily reads.
    Brent Jones is another fraudster.
    Federal Trade Commission to the courtesy phone.
    • Like Like x 1
  23. RightOn Member

Reminds me of Cruise showing purple towels during his visit with the NY Firefighters after 9/11.
    You know the old toxins in the fat cells crapola.
    • Like Like x 1
  24. AffinityLifeStyles.comOrgBoard1.PNG

AffinityLifeStyles.comOrgBoard.PNG
  25. DeathHamster Member

They have people assigned to Department 20. In CoS, that's OSA. I wonder what Dept 20 does at AffinityLifestyles.com, Inc.?
  26. My guess is the same thing OSA does for the COS -- i.e., legal and pr.
  27. GibbousWaxing Member

Legal, PR, and illegal.
  28. Ogsonofgroo Member

Ugh. Mega-shooper-dooper-water scammings, cult of fraud creates more frauds, go figure...

Annnnd now~
  29. fishypants Moderator

Actually they do.
  30. The Wrong Guy Member

This article was published today, and ends with a mention of this case.

Assembly District 21 | Las Vegas Review-Journal

Blain Jones, the son of District 35 Assemblyman Brent Jones, supports school choice and repealing the commerce tax, according to his website.

He has recently faced scrutiny because of a widely publicized federal discrimination lawsuit against his family’s business, Real Water.

The lawsuit, filed by a former employee, claims the company offered pay raises to workers who watched videos based on Church of Scientology teachings and that the employee was terminated based on her religious views.

Blain Jones, the company’s executive vice president, denied the wrongful termination allegations and said he doesn’t believe it will hurt his campaign.

“We don’t promote Scientology throughout my business. We don’t require people to be Scientologists,” he said.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/politics/elections/assembly-district-21
  31. Blain Jones Scientology Service Completions.

http://www.truthaboutscientology.com/stats/by-name/b/blain-jones.html

Blain Jones in Scientology's Published Service Completion Lists

The following 4 individual completions for Blain Jones appear in official Scientology publications:
    Blain Jones GRADE I EXPANDED Source 212 2010-12-01
    Blain Jones GRADE II EXPANDED Source 212 2010-12-01
    Blaine Jones RECENT CLEARS IN THE AMERICAS Auditor 374 2013-06-01
    Blain Jones SUCCESS THROUGH COMMUNICATIONS COURSE Auditor 375 2013-07-01
    • Like Like x 1
  32. The Wrong Guy Member

A Scientologist is running for lieutenant governor in Nevada — and it’s who you probably suspect

By Tony Ortega, March 31, 2018

Quote:

Brent Jones is back, and this time he’s aiming high.

You might remember the name. He’s a Scientologist who was elected to Nevada’s Assembly and served from 2015 to 2016. We wrote about him at the time not only because it’s pretty rare for Scientologists to hold elected office but also because of his involvement with the sale of snake oil and ostrich eggs.

Way back in the year 2000, our colleague Ron Russell at New Times Los Angeles wrote about Jones’ involvement in the sad case of Raul Lopez, a Southern California man who received $1.7 million in a settlement after suffering brain damage in a car accident. Scientology pounced on the suddenly wealthy young man, finding creative ways to get him to part with his money, including investing in ostrich eggs, which Jones, his attorney, helped facilitate.

More recently, Jones has a company, Affinity Lifestyles, that sells “Real Water,” which the company claims has all sorts of good health effects because it is “alkalized.” In a 2011 article, the Guardian debunked that claim, but Jones continues to sell Real Water today, and some of the proceeds go to the Citizens Commission on Human Rights, Scientology’s unhinged front group that demonizes the psychiatric profession.

In 2016, the Daily Beast reported that an Affinity Lifestyles employee was suing the company for forcing her to watch Scientology videos as part of her job.

Despite that track record — which gets brought up every time Jones is in the news — he’s aiming high and this time is running not for Nevada’s legislature, but for lieutenant governor.

He’s facing state Senator Michael Roberson in the Republican primary on June 12.

Wouldn’t it be fun if Joy Villa were to show up to campaign for him?

Source: https://tonyortega.org/2018/03/31/a...r-in-nevada-and-its-who-you-probably-suspect/
    • Like Like x 2
  33. The Wrong Guy Member

Another Scientologist runs for office in Nevada — but her campaign says she’s not a member

By Tony Ortega, April 14, 2018

Quote:

The other day we told you that Brent Jones, a Scientologist who served as a legislator in Nevada for one term, 2015-2017, is now running for lieutenant governor in that state.

An alert reader pointed out that Brent’s wife Aimee Jones is also running for office, trying to win the seat that Brent lost to a Democrat in the 2016 election.

Aimee Jones has a campaign website, Facebook page, and a GoFundMe going, and in her bio she talks about working with her husband at their business that sells “Real Water” — a company that uses L. Ron Hubbard technology for its business administration concepts.

Brent has a long history with Scientology, but we wondered if Aimee did as well.

We called up her campaign Tuesday and spoke to her campaign manager, Laurel Fee. We explained to Laurel that it’s extremely unusual for Scientologists to run for office in this country, and so we wondered about Aimee’s involvement — we found in a 2016 issue of Scientology’s Source magazine that Aimee Jones was listed as completing an expensive and high-level auditing service, the “L11 New Life Rundown.”

But Laurel denied that Aimee and Brent are Scientologists.

“Neither one of them are,” she told us. “Brent, in his Real Water business, he uses the applied philosophies of L. Ron Hubbard. But they are not members of the church.”

She said the campaign was working on some “cease and desist” letters “against some of these articles” that have written about Brent’s Scientology involvement.

We pointed out that Scientology publications list Brent completing Scientology courses many times and going back more than a decade — and we believe his involvement goes back at least into the 1990s.

“Aimee and Brent have both taken courses to learn the business model, I will say that,” Laurel told us. “But you don’t have to be a Scientologist to take their courses. All kinds of people take their courses. All kinds of people use those courses for a business model.”

Both Brent and Aimee Jones are listed in Scientology publications as completing L11. We told Laurel that Scientology itself would certainly consider anyone doing such high-level and expensive courses to be Scientologists.

“I really don’t focus on other people’s religion. And I don’t think she’s a working Scientologist. They don’t go anywhere and worship. Many companies use these things,” she said. “It is true that they use L. Ron Hubbard applied statistics, and it is a separate entity from Scientology, the religion.”

We pointed out that Affinity Lifestyles, the company that puts out “alkalized” Real Water with added electrons, lists the Citizens Commission on Human Rights (CCHR) as a charity that it supports. CCHR is Scientology’s most unhinged front group, going after the psychiatry industry with claims, for example, that it was behind the Holocaust. Church leader David Miscavige speaks openly about Scientology’s goal to eradicate the mental health industry and replace it with Hubbard’s ideas.

But Laurel pointed out that Real Water benefits many other charities, and that CCHR’s criticism of psychiatric medicine is one a lot of people share.

We asked her to check with Aimee Jones about her L11 completion. In an email, we asked the potential legislator how the abilities she gained on that experience might benefit her work as a lawmaker.

In the meantime, we asked our resident tech expert, Sunny Pereira, to help us understand what a Scientologist goes through during the L11 Rundown, which, according to a 2007 price list, runs about $24,000.

Continued at https://tonyortega.org/2018/04/14/a...vada-but-her-campaign-says-shes-not-a-member/
  34. The Wrong Guy Member

Scientologist pair running for office double down on their denials about church involvement

By Tony Ortega, April 24, 2018

Quote:

We have a little follow up for you in regards to a story we did last week. Our veteran readers know that for several years we’ve kept an eye on Nevada politician and Scientologist Brent Jones, who served a single term as a state assemblyman, and is now running for lieutenant governor, with a Republican primary scheduled for June 12.

A reader alerted us that Brent’s wife, Aimee Jones, is also running for office, hoping to win the Assembly seat that her husband held until he was defeated in the 2016 election. Curious about her involvement in Scientology, we found a church publication which listed that she had completed the “L11 New Life Rundown” — a very expensive auditing level only performed at the Flag Land Base in Clearwater, Florida, which would have run Aimee about $24,000. Brent also has the L11 experience under his belt, according to Scientology’s own publications. Only very involved Scientologists have the chance to experience something like the L11 rundown, our experts told us.

But Aimee’s campaign manager, Laurel Fee, denied that Brent or Aimee were Scientologists, telling us that the two of them had only taken some courses because they use L. Ron Hubbard’s “admin technology” in their business, Affinity Lifestyles, which sells “Real Water,” alkalized drinking water with added electrons.

“Aimee and Brent have both taken courses to learn the business model, I will say that,” Laurel told us. “But you don’t have to be a Scientologist to take their courses. All kinds of people take their courses. All kinds of people use those courses for a business model.”

After that story ran, we heard from another tipster who pointed out that a few weeks earlier, Rob Lauer, a conservative commentator who ran unsuccessfully for Nevada secretary of state in 2010, put out a video statement about Brent and Aimee running for office and facing questions about their Scientology involvement. The video was posted at the Facebook page for 360Daily.Net, a Las Vegas conservative website. Here, take a look:

Continued at https://tonyortega.org/2018/04/24/s...wn-on-their-denials-about-church-involvement/
    • Like Like x 2
  35. Brent Jones, candidate for Lieutenant Governor of Nevada, defends Scientology and L. Ron Hubbard.

From the official campaign website of Brent Jones:

Code:
    http://www.votebrentjones.com/brent-jones-sets-the-record-straight/
    tGmkdI4.png

NOVn9oM.png

ob4CmXp.png

6ziNLlT.png

ATNlNMf.png

orjfkEQ.png

4aCgALu.png

EDITED TO ADD:

Brent A. Jones Scientology Service Completions.

http://www.truthaboutscientology.com/stats/by-name/b/brent-a.-jones.html

IooFVYt.png

NOTE: In his slide show "Brent Jones, Scientology and "The Secret" screenshot above, Mr. Jones appears to imply that he uses only the purportedly "secular" and "business" applications of Scientology. Any such implication would be misleading and, indeed, false. Mr. Jones achieved the religious State of Clear in the Church of Scientology, and completed the Scientology religious rundown known as L 11 -- New Life Rundown. In addition, he is a Patron is the Church of Scientology.
    • Like Like x 2
  36. Triumph Member

Tom Cruz ? who dat?
  37. Triumph Member

Review Journal w/Video Mar 28th 2018
    Lt. Gov. candidate Brent Jones on taxes, guns and a ‘Secret’ lawsuit

Jones pushed back against a lawsuit filed by a former employee during the heat of his 2016 primary campaign. The woman accused Jones’ business of making her watch Scientology videos. He pulled out a deposition from the woman in which she said she never spoke to Jones about Scientology. The lawsuit is still pending.
    “You have religious freedom in our company,” he said. “The video she was talking about, that she actually put in the pleadings, was The Secret.

“The Secret has nothing to do with Scientology.
    “It’s a very positive video. If you put out positive energy, you’ll get positive energy back. As a demo person or a sales person for our company, we want our people to put out positive energy.”

https://www.reviewjournal.com/opini...ent-jones-on-taxes-guns-and-a-secret-lawsuit/

video Is 9 minutes long

Scientology and the "Secret" comment about the Lawsuit comes up at the 7 minute mark
    069fca8c-7503-4bc4-8c3f-11c664e4cb7f.png

Brent starts to paint it as if it were a conspiracy .
  38. EDITED TO ADD:

Brent A. Jones Scientology Service Completions.

http://www.truthaboutscientology.com/stats/by-name/b/brent-a.-jones.html

IooFVYt.png

NOTE: In his slide show "Brent Jones, Scientology and "The Secret" screenshot above, Mr. Jones appears to imply that he uses only the purportedly "secular" and "business" applications of Scientology. Any such implication would be misleading and, indeed, false. Mr. Jones achieved the religious State of Clear in the Church of Scientology, and completed the Scientology religious rundown known as L 11 -- New Life Rundown. In addition, he is a Patron is the Church of Scientology.
  39. GibbousWaxing Member

Probably an illegal alien.
  40. Triumph Member

the Goldwater
    Nevada Scientologist Couple Running For Public Office In Nevada

Jones, a Nevada politician, is running as a Republican for lieutenant governor in the June 12 primary. Jones' wife Aimee will also be running in the the 2018 elections. To be clear, this article is a warning, rather than an endorsement. The Jones' are doing their best to make L. Ron Hubbard proud. Hubbard, while he was alive, managed to infiltrate multiple local, state and federal government offices including the IRS. Aimee was mentioned in a Church of Scientology publication as having completed the "L11 New Life Rundown" a special auditing level that is only perfored at the Flag Land Base in Clearwater, Florida (the de facto headquarters of COS). The course runs around $24,000 and as "L11" suggests, it is far from an introductory auditing course meaning Aimee and her husband (who has also completed "L11") have a fairly intimate involvement in CoS

Covers what Tony O reported @Underground Bunker

http://thegoldwater.com/news/24338-Nevada-Scientologist-Couple-Running-For-Public-Office-In-Nevada
    • Like Like x 1