Customize

Chicago – Legal challenge to 150 ft. protest buffer

Discussion in 'Leaks & Legal' started by Darth Xander, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Darth Xander Member

Chicago – Legal challenge to 150 ft. protest buffer

Today I attended a hearing on the citation I received for protesting in front of the Chicago Org on October 23rd. For those of you who have not been following the antics of Chicago Anon, a little background.

The Chicago Municipal Code provides a person commits disorderly conduct when he (or she) knowingly: Pickets or demonstrates on a public way within 150 feet of any church, temple, synagogue or other place of worship while services are being conducted and one-half hour before services are to be conducted and one-half hour after services have been concluded, provided that this subsection does not prohibit the peaceful picketing of any church, temple, synagogue or other place of worship involved in a labor dispute.

Well, as you can imagine Chicago Scilons like to claim the self-study courses they host constitute “services.” And, conveniently, they happen to host those courses pretty much all day (with a few 15 minutes breaks interspersed throughout), seven days a week. While the police, much to their benefit, have shown themselves to be wary of the Scilons’ claims, they nevertheless typically have yielded to their incessant whining and used the threat of arrest for disorderly conduct to chase Anons away.

I, for one, quickly grew tired of being forced to move 150 feet away from the Org (where, you know, the Scilons are) after I joined the local cell and started protesting in July (after doing a test run with Sparrow out in D.C. – we stand with you Sparrow!). After doing some legal research (I’m an attorney), I showed up at the October 23rd raid and refused to follow police orders to move away in order take the first step in a legal challenge to the code. Although prepared to be arrested, I instead chose to sign a citation as it got the same result as an arrest but without having to sit at the police station for a couple of hours (hey, can you blame me?).

So, the hearing. Prior to the judge calling my case I spoke with a city attorney who gave me three options (reduced fine and costs; community service; or trial). I chose the third option (after having that scene from Matrix flash through my head) and she then informs me they will ask for a continuance to allow for a full hearing of the issues (because apparently its already getting late for the judge and city attorneys at 2:30 p.m.). So the judge continued the case until January 13th at 9 a.m.

Now, let me take a step back. Immediately after I received the citation I and other members of the cell reached out to the media. I received a response from the Chicago Tribune’s religion reporter, who attended the hearing. She pointed out Rebecca Cusano in the audience to me, the wife of complaining witness Domenic Cusano and a spokesperson for the Org. Mrs. Cusano was there with at least one, possibly two attorneys. Why she would need an attorney when the city is the one bringing the case is beyond me. When the judge called the case and Mrs. Cusano joined the city attorney at the podium, the judge asked one of the attorneys (again, not sure if both were there for Scilons) if he was there as her counsel. The attorney said his presence at the podium would be “superfluous.” (Ya think?)

After the hearing, the reporter spoke to Mrs. Cusano for at least half an hour. I could hear her giving the reporter the usual spiel about how they aren’t your typical religion blah blah blah. She then spoke to me for about another 15 minutes (we had talked about the case a couple days ago as well). She told me a story on this whole situation would probably run in tomorrow’s Tribune.

That’s all I got until the Tribune story is posted (maybe tonight?). Look for another local paper to do a story shortly as well. We’re blowing up in Chicago y’all!

UPDATE: Trib reporter informed me last night that the story would not run today because 1) case was continued and 2) not enough space in today's edition. Not sure what exactly that means. I'm guessing they'll probably hold off on running the story until after the Jan. 13th hearing (so that it can include the court's decision).

On the one hand, I would have liked to read what the Scilons have to say on this to help with my prep work for the hearing. On the other, the delay allows me a chance to feed the reporter additional information that I forgot to mention to her before.

Also, the other local paper I mentioned is waiting to see what the Trib does. Just FYI.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. OTBT Member

Re: Chicago – Legal challenge to 150 ft. protest buffer

This could get interesting...
  3. xenubarb Member

I remember you! Respect! I have to lol at them. Of all the people they could have targeted, they got an attorney! <3 Gotta love it!
  4. 3rdMan Member

<3
  5. grebe Member

I salute you, Anon.
  6. Jeff Jacobsen Member

Thanks for doing this. Stupid laws are stupid. Clearwater PD tried to get us to move our protest, and it's the only time in my life I ever yelled at cops (over the phone).
  7. Paladin Member

Well done Xander! Today's results were surprising and unexpected. I believe this drama that you started is going to have a bigger impact on the Chicago Org than we had hoped for. I am very exited to see what will happen on the next court date.
  8. Anonymous Member

Thank you for standing up for your beliefs, citizen. :)
  9. Re: Chicago – Legal challenge to 150 ft. protest buffer

Good luck. For everyone's sake, I hope they don't view the Constitution as having been written on toilet paper.
  10. Anonymous Member

I'm eager to hear how this goes. Please keep us informed.
  11. over9000OT Member

Awesome man.

KCfag here but it's not too far to drive if you need any kind of help up there.
  12. Anonymous Member

Retarded questions: Domenic Cusano is the person who made the citation complaint, but he didn't show up at the Dec. 8 hearing? Was he supposed to, or can he just fire off a complaint and let the state take over from there? What happens if he doesn't show in January?
  13. thefatman Member

Well for Aaron Saxton's first AVO (from Sue Hunt) neither her nor her lawyer showed up, which was partially used as an excuse to dismiss the hearing (as the judge saw that she didn't care enough to show up). If he doesn't show up you could try something along those lines, e.g., "If he truly cared about this case and the legitimacy of his complaint, he would have bothered to show up."
  14. Anonymous Member

I think you may have misread it. I read it as the judge asked one of the lawyers about his (the lawyer's) appearance, and blah blah the lawyer's presence superfluous (as opposed to Cusano's).

Mrs. Cusano was there, so maybe I'm wrong to assume - but I expect her husband was in attendance, as well.
  15. i'mglib Member

I like the cut of your jib, sir.

Carry on.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Ann O'Nymous Member

Nice.
  17. wolfyrik Member

Given that scientolgy charges for its "services" can they be legally defined as religious services? I'm not sure how this works in America but it's of constant irritation to me that the cult, by calling it's payments "donations" is able to avoid tax etc. Especially since without paying the "donation" you cannot have the service ie a payment for services ie commercial.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. AnonyVix Member

Respect and admiration. Hope it all works out okay.
  19. Dra Member

Keep up the good work! You rock!
  20. anonsparrow Member

Chicago plot thickens! Nice work DA!

Calendar marked, fingers crossed.
  21. Re: Chicago – Legal challenge to 150 ft. protest buffer

[IMG]
  22. Anonymous Member

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/123-...gys-updated-information-taxes-brochure-31928/
  23. Sponge Member

24. Jeff Jacobsen Member

25. Sponge Member

Previous work...

Project MUSE - Journal of the American Academy of Religion - Fair Game: Secrecy, Security, and the Church of Scientology in Cold War America

Other bibliography from a search on scientology and Hugh B. Urban via Google Books.....

Magia sexualis: sex, magic, and liberation in modern Western esotericism By Hugh B. Urban (pg.137) - Google Books
    (University of California Press, 2006)

Tantra: sex, secrecy, politics, and power in the study of religion By Hugh B. Urban (pg.226) - Google Books
    (University of California Press 2003)

^Oooo Saucy

Appears to have co-authored this: Amazon.com: Contemporary Models of Psychotherapy: A Comparative Analysis (9780471596387): Donald H. Ford, Hugh B. Urban: Books
    (2nd edition. May 11, 1998)

Unleashing the Beast. Aleister Crowley, Tantra and Sex Magic in Late Victorian England by Hugh Urban, Ohio State University

Profile page at Ohio State University website with much more relevant publications/articles lists....
    View Person | Hugh B. Urban | OSU Department of Comparative Studies

Interestingggggg

====================================

Urban appears in a couple of other recent newsmedia articles on scientology....

The previously mentioned new book is also noted in NYT article Nov 2010
    In Pasadena, a Model for Scientology’s Growth Plan - New York times

From Nov 2009
    Entertainment | Defections, court fights test Scientology | Seattle Times Newspaper

So do ya think it safe to say that this supposed new book is not going to be another J. Gordon Melton or James R. Lewis pile of apologist crap?
  26. moarxenu Member

I am imprest. Manya Brachear wrote a great article. She was also responsive when anons contacted her to check out allegations on Reddit that OSA was fair gaming a poster who was the father of one of the child actors in the Red Orchid Theatre production of An Unauthorized Children's Scientology Pageant.

Manya got the theater critic to check things out. It turned out the father was apparently trolling OSA. The anons contacted the theater director to support the production and got free tickets to the show and posed with the kids for pix. It was win.
  27. Anonymous Member

28. Anonymous Member

29. Anonymous Member

Too lazy to register. I will email Manya. If OSAbots start fagging up the comments I will register for great justice.

This could turn out to be an important legal challenge.
  30. DeathHamster Member

That's coming along at about the same speed as the Super Power Building completion. Every year they plant another "moving soon" story in the papers, zzzzzz...
  31. mirele Member

Why is it that one form of First Amendment expression is being privileged and protected over another?

I remember back in ~1988, I was visiting relatives in Chicago and I saw "The Last Temptation of Christ." There were picketers in front of the theatre, in an area cordoned off by barricades, but you had to walk right past them. And then my purse had to be searched, just to see a movie. Thanks bomb threat Christonuts.

My point is that I have the First Amendment right to express my opinion and this ordinance is making it next to impossible. But gee, the ordinance doesn't protect movie theatres (another First Amendment activity, no?) from picketers out front. Why not? I mean, there was no restriction on picketers being there before, during and after the film. Oh yeah, and that labor protest exception is totally bogus. This ordinance is absolutely ripe for a First Amendment challenge.
  32. DeathHamster Member

So long as protesters aren't using megaphones, how can they see or hear them during "services"? Are they claiming that negative psychic waves from SPs standing 149 feet away can travel through brick walls and stop their woo from working?

If that's true, maybe we could team up and win that $1 million prize?

Initial test: At various recorded times, unobserved by the org, protesters could stand within the "zone". Meanwhile, inside the org, they could note the times when they thought that their woo wasn't working.

If there's a strong correlation, better experiments could be devised.
    • Like Like x 1
  33. Anonymous Member

subsonic whistle much?
  34. Anonymous Member

INDEED! Scibots are sleeping, apparently. Now is the chance to knock them completely out of the first significant set of responses. A great opportunity to lay in some broad criticism and facts and set up some info that they will have to read when they finally arrive. Some thoughts for ammo:

- Persistence of monthly Anon raids for coming up on 3 years, despite DM's official statement of 'victory'
    - Even more recent high-level defectors: Claudio and Renata Lugli, OTVIII and OTVII have left the Church Of Scientology.
    - Growing Independent Scientologists movement (just hold your nose and sow dissent)

Other notions for 'poonage?
  35. DeathHamster Member

The Idle org perpetually on hold?

• Speaking of Scientology September 26, 2007, Alicia Dorr, Chicagoist
    • Greatest place on earth September 12, 2007, Hunter Clauss, Chicago Journal
  36. 3rdMan Member

They've been perpetually announcing the Idle Morgue for two years with no opening.
  37. Gottabrain Member

The other churches are landmarks. That's why they have the approvals. Has C of S finally gotten an approval, or are things still at a standstill?

Isn't Printer's Row still slummy, with all the businesses moved out, or has it been upgraded since 10 years ago?
  38. DeathHamster Member

They've been announcing for three years.

Greatest place on earth September 12, 2007, Hunter Clauss, Chicago Journal
  39. eddieVroom Member

This sort of thing is the reason why I was pushing OG to organize as Clergy back in the nineties. It levels the playing field with regard to the "church card". Gives you legal protections in the U S of A to boot. Something about "clerical communications".
  40. DeathHamster Member

Oh? I am an ordained minister. How would that help?