Customize

Chicago – Legal challenge to 150 ft. protest buffer

Discussion in 'Leaks & Legal' started by Darth Xander, Dec 8, 2010.

1. eddieVroom Member

Re: Chicago – Legal challenge to 150 ft. protest buffer

Well, you see, THIS is your Mission.

Now it's not anti-church, rather, it's infighting between sects, and all constitutionally protected. etc. You conduct "services" on the street? Well OK then, it's not like the other "church" in the scrum ain't kinda wierd either...
  2. Zak McKracken Member

I'm not,
    but (as previously offered)
    if someone in the FZ, CoS or MartyZone wants to "Hat" me,
    I'd be honored to serve as anonymous Chaplain,
    offering Scientology spiritual services free of charge.
  3. eddieVroom Member

ULC.org for free, SubSite - Start for $30, but much moar fun.

IOW, why the hell are you waiting for permission?
  4. Zak McKracken Member

ULC is pants.
    $30 to join a fake religion WITHOUT the cult or the space opera? :|

I'd be better off with BoB
  5. eddieVroom Member

[STRIKE]I didn't think ULC was charging money. didn't used to...[/STRIKE]I checked, and ULC Ordination is still free, ya jackass...

Anyway, the Discordian heritage supports Cacaphony, which suits us IMO.

I hereby ordain all reading this as a Pope in the NeoGnostic Church. Time is always against us. (brushes forearm conspicuously)...

If you want Dox, you'll have to talk to Stang.

Or go ULC for free. The point is that you have Dox. Preferably, on Flax paper.

FNORD
  6. Zak McKracken Member

n/m
    when I read "ULC" and the link after it charging $30,
    my pink brain went on autopilot

Still though,
    ULC is neither culty nor alien enough to suit my purposes

Stang? ugg.... out squirrels David Miscavige.
    Too many "July 6"s! If he's no fraud, then BoB must be
    and we know BoB wouldn't lie
  7. eddieVroom Member

The Tao of Roddenberry:

8. xenubarb Member

Me too. <snicker>

Universal Life Church. Even dl'ed and printed out the collar.

(oh wait, wasn't that The Simpsons?)
  9. eddieVroom Member

The "official" church position is that either "Bob" read the note upside-down, and X-Day is in 8661 (rather than 1998), or the "Con" has been screwing with the Calendars.

edit: and that's July 5, by the way...
  10. Gottabrain Member

Legally, it comes down to the definition of a "service" and if cult of Scientology "services" are in excess of the inferred definition at the time that law was written.

A service involves a clergyman and an entire congregation. It is not 1 on 1 counseling, nor is it a courseroom or a test center. These are extracurricular activities or studies.

Who is presiding over this? Contact details? I'd love to send a letter.
  11. Mark Cabian Member

Chicago Protest - Day in Court

SAUCE: Opponents fight to protest outside Church of Scientology - Chicago Breaking News

January 2, 2011 5:09 PM

A Chicago judge will decide this month whether a city code prevents protesters who oppose Scientology's teachings from expressing their discontent any time the church's doors are open or only during its conventional Sunday worship service.

Alex Hageli, a north suburban lobbyist and one of many opponents who insist the Church of Scientology isn't upfront about its teachings, was cited in October with violating a city code banning pickets from houses of worship.

The code, drafted years ago, precludes anyone who "pickets or demonstrates on a public way within 150 feet of any church, temple, synagogue or other place of worship while services are being conducted and one-half hour before services are to be conducted and one-half hour after services have been concluded." Peaceful labor protests are exempt.

Last year, when protesters showed up outside Church of Scientology of Illinois headquarters at 3011 N. Lincoln Ave., church leaders posted a sign in the window announcing services from 9:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.

"Can Scientology claim to have services all day long to keep protesters 150 feet away from their door front?" said Hageli, a lawyer by training who attends Harvest Bible Chapel in Arlington Heights. "I'm 100 percent confident that they can't do that."
  12. Re: Chicago Protest - Day in Court

Here's an interesting point. THe law seems to be more rooted to REAL churches that have a large gathering of people at certain times of the day. Protesting when those services are not happening is no problem. But here's something interesting:
    Religions like Christians ALL have services on certain days. It is part of their scripture. Christian churches ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD will have services on the same day. Each individual church has their own specific times they offer service, but the day is important for them.
    In Scilons case.... How many other Orgs in the state, or even just the US all have services from 9:30-10:00pm? Does every ORG say they have these services? or is it just this one... where it is convenient for the law to say, "Yes we have services all day so Protestors can't come here."

tl;dr Scilons don't have a uniform rule, these guys are just using the law to claim that protestors can't be there. Compare with real religions.
  13. Anonymous Member

Re: Chicago Protest - Day in Court

For what it's worth, there's already some discussion on this article in the corresponding legal thread (starting on page 2).
  14. Mark Cabian Member

Chicago Protest - Day in Court

SAUCE: Opponents fight to protest outside Church of Scientology - Chicago Breaking News

January 2, 2011 5:09 PM

A Chicago judge will decide this month whether a city code prevents protesters who oppose Scientology's teachings from expressing their discontent any time the church's doors are open or only during its conventional Sunday worship service.

Alex Hageli, a north suburban lobbyist and one of many opponents who insist the Church of Scientology isn't upfront about its teachings, was cited in October with violating a city code banning pickets from houses of worship.

The code, drafted years ago, precludes anyone who "pickets or demonstrates on a public way within 150 feet of any church, temple, synagogue or other place of worship while services are being conducted and one-half hour before services are to be conducted and one-half hour after services have been concluded." Peaceful labor protests are exempt.

Last year, when protesters showed up outside Church of Scientology of Illinois headquarters at 3011 N. Lincoln Ave., church leaders posted a sign in the window announcing services from 9:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.

"Can Scientology claim to have services all day long to keep protesters 150 feet away from their door front?" said Hageli, a lawyer by training who attends Harvest Bible Chapel in Arlington Heights. "I'm 100 percent confident that they can't do that."
  15. Anonymous Member

16. Mark Cabian Member

17. anonymous612 Member

This is like the third time this article has been posted.
  18. Mark Cabian Member

Yep, previously posted - sorry for catching that too late.
  19. Orson Member

Great appreciation to Chitownfags for doing this, especially the anon who apparently outed himself to get this done.

Here are some relevant videos:

The October protest where the citation was issued:

A December protest where he discusses the case:

It's amazing that you guys are willing to put yourselves in the line of fire like this. Thank you.

OK. So now we have legal action between Scientology and protesters occurring in Chicago, Washington D.C., and Los Angeles. Where else? What am I forgetting?
  20. DeathHamster Member

Point out that the org is doing business while those "services" are supposed to be going on: collecting money via cash, credit and debit cards, checks, etc.

Hmm... then again, Christian churches pass the collection plate and Scientology claims that those payments are fixed-price "donations" for services, books, tapes, etc.

There should be someway to highlight that so that people have a "WAIT, WTF?!" reaction.
  21. Zak McKracken Member

X Day? Sure, its holey, and no such thing as "too many".
    However if Stang and his pinkish minions hadn't betrayed the slack
    there would be no "July 6"!

That they keep coming is.... saddening
  22. DeathHamster Member

Hey, I got triple my money back.
  23. Anonymous Member

Background info because it's kind of relevant to the story: The guy who signed the formal legal complaint, Domenic Cusano, is the husband of the Chicago DSA Rebecca Cusano. As Domenic has special OT powers, including the ability to stop time and shoot laser beams out of his eyeballs, he has acted as Scientology's go-to guy for shattering the suppression of the evil anonymous terrorists in Chicago.

Domenic used to come out to our protests at Millennium Park to stir the pot.

2580275214_d38cc03e09.jpg

Much hilarity ensued - though he was clearly trying to be SUPER INTIMIDATING, he was roundly trolled and OT3 rolled, and the story I heard is that park security wasn't too happy when they got wind of what happened either. Millennium Park runs a pretty tight and family-friendly ship, and while they're cool with free speech, I don't know how happy they would be with someone they deemed to be acting in a harassing, provocative, and/or douchebaggy manner.

Domenic came back the following month and acted like slightly less of a prick this time by sitting on a nearby bench and snapping photos of us from afar.

2670684302_cb84bf31b9.jpg

Of course that didn't work out so well for him either - not only was he an awesome in-person demonstration of Fair Game to point out to the many people who came up to talk with us, but we also had fun by sending people over to ask him about Xenu, etc. Not only that, but that was a month when we had a newspaper reporter come out to visit us (eventually producing this story), so he ended up looking like a creeper right in front of her.

He apparently gave up on monitoring us at Millennium Park after that.

Domenic was also looking majorly stressed out to see us back at the org in October 2010, the day when the citation was eventually filed. I'm guessing he is under significant pressure to &quot;do something&quot; about the whole anonymous thing.

To be fair, I've heard several different sources say he's actually a really great guy most of the time. So I don't want to paint him as a terrible person. I think it's just a case of Scientology's KSW-mode bringing out the worst in someone, and I sincerely hope he wakes up soon.
  24. Anonymous Member

dox or GTFO

SubGenius Pamphlet #2

Where's the form for getting money back? I see the promise, but don't see how you managed to collect triple moneys.
  25. Anonymous Member

caption:

Scientology Reverend Domenic Cusano leads his congregation in the &quot;Fair Game&quot; service at Millennium Park.
  26. Anonymous Member

bump.. any news?
  27. Darth Xander Member

Paladin and I trudged on down to court this morning. We met up with the ever cheerful Kevin Freeman, who showed up to witness the proceedings. As Paladin and I turned the corner to the hallway after passing through the metal detector we could see a contingent of Chicago Scilons holding court (haha) in the hallway. Mr. Cusano was in attendance, and as I passed him I patted him on the shoulder and said hello to him. After learning the case had been moved to a different courtroom, a higher level city attorney informed me his supervisor had made the decision to non-suit the citation. (Both he and his boss apologized for not being able to tell me in time to spare me the trip down.) This means, essentially, the city gave up on trying to enforce the citation. The city attorney and I then went through the formality of have the judge enter the non-suit, a copy of which I've attached for the curious. (Actually, I can't figure out how to attach it. If anyone wants a copy, just PM me.)

Now I know some (maybe most) of you think this is a loss because it maintains the status quo of not having any real guidance from the court to the police for dealing with future protests. But actually, from a legal strategy perspective, I believe this is the best outcome. I am now free and clear to seek a federal injunction against CPD citing protesters for disorderly conduct when protesting Scientology.

I spoke with the Chicago Tribune reporter who did a story on this. She said to me she would try and contact the city to get an explanation as to why they decided to non-suit it. I suspect it was because the city did not want to be put in the embarrassing position of arguing Scientology, alone among any other religion/business/whatever, enjoys a permanent 150 foot protest free zone around their organization. But we'll see what she finds out.

Anyway, as I passed Mr. Cusano on the way out I told him I would see him again next time. As I waited in the hallway for Paladin, one of the Scilons came up to me to confirm that I had told Domenic I would be back out in front of the Org. I assured him I would. He asked when that would be, to which I responded I wasn't sure. The Scilon proceeded to tell me he hoped to see me out there again because I/we were a lot of fun (or something to that effect). After he walked back over to the other Scilons I went over to ask him if he was indeed a Scilon as I had never seen him at the Org before. He said he was.

Once I figure out the logistics of the lawsuit, I"ll update everyone. In the meantime, Paladin wanted me to pass along this sentiment from the great John Rambo:

• Like Like x 7
  28. Anonymous Member

Thanks for the update.
    Sort of proud of you guise going to court.
  29. Anonymous Member

You took a big risk from that little gesture. Scientology has launched litigation against people for less.

OSA: "He patted him on the shoulder? Moxon?"
    Moxon: "Illegal touching, assault, I can come up with a few other things we can overwhelm him in court with."
    DM: "Eeeeexcellent." (punches a board member)

Not to insult your knowledge of the legal system but read about Aaron Saxton and Brian Mandigo. You know they'll take any opportunity.
  30. Anonymous Member

31. Anon1942 Member

32. xenubarb Member

Me too. I'm also the Chaplain of alt.religion.scientology.

Vaya con carne, my children!
  33. i'mglib Member

Darth, Great job.

So you get to protest anywhere you want? I don't see how this could be anything but a win. The only thing better, I suppose, would be if they said it in writing that there are no restrictions because there are no fixed hours of "worship". But that doesn't seem practical. So I say, it's a win.
    • Like Like x 1
  34. LocalSP Member

I definitely consider this a win. Anytime you can get the scilons to spend money on lawyers it's always a win.
  35. mooolymool Member

PLAY EPIC WINTONE
  36. Paladin Member

We had 3 Anons and they had 5 Scilons in court today. We won. They lost. It's not always about the numbers. Sometimes it's about doing the right thing.
  37. over9000OT Member

I has a smile.
  38. Anonymous Member

Not a lawyer here. What can the Scientologists do as far as appealing this thing? Anything?
  39. Kevin Freeman Member

40. Sponge Member

Nice one.
    Although, as you suggest, there is nothing to stop the scilons baawing again just for the hell of it and no injunction yet to stop getting cited, do you feel that the news will still travel through CPD so that they'll eventually just know that it isn't worth wasting time citing you again if it is guaranteed to fail in court?

Suggest gigantic protest sign with the dismissal printed on it :)