Customize

Chicago - Dec. 11th, 2010 - Planning

Discussion in 'USA - Central/Mountain' started by Strong Strength, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Chicago - Dec. 11th, 2010 - Planning

Update: here's what won the vote for this month...

Date: Saturday, Dec. 11th, 2010

Time: Noon is around when the first people start showing up. By 1 p.m. we're usually getting close to full stride. We usually go for a few hours or so, but we play it by ear. Of course, you can show up and leave whenever you want.

Location: At the intersection just southeast of the Scientology center, 3011 N. Lincoln Ave., Chicago. We usually meet up in front of the big Catholic church there. The reason we're at the intersection and not right in front of their building is because of ongoing legal bullshit - read the rest of the thread if you want details. Do not demonstrate directly in front of the org.

w8rqqv.png

If you wanted to do a Millennium Park miniraid sometime else this month, make sure to say something in this thread.

Dated planning from several weeks earlier follows...

Okay, I'm assuming this one will take place on the 2nd Saturday of the month, which falls on the 11th, and start around noontime. At least, that's what we've been doing in the past. If you prefer something else, make your case, but I'm guessing it would be hard to shake the monthly rhythm we're in.

The major question this month is probably going to be the choice of location. The usual suspects are the org up on Lincoln and Millennium Park, but we could always try something new as well.

I think my personal preference this month around is for the org. Note that there's currently there's some legal stuff being resolved which regards how close we can get to their building. If we get a favorable resolution on that by the 11th, then we can hope to be right in front of the org. (Or at least some of us could, at some point.) If the legal stuff is still in limbo by the protest date, then we could all just hang out at the intersection nearby the org.

Anyway, please add your input on the choice of location, and we'll see where most people want to go. Thanks, I'll hang up and listen to your answer.
  2. Paladin Member

Re: Chicago - Dec. 11th, 2010 - Planning

How about protesting at their empty Ideal Org? Since they haven't moved there yet, they can't use the 150 foot protest law to cry to the police and say we are disturbing their "worshippers". It is not that far from where we protest at Millenium Park, so there should be no transportation problem for most Anons. It would be great fun to have pictures or video of a bunch of us in front of their new building.
  3. Darth Xander Member

Hmmmm. Intriguing.

If we were to choose the second Saturday (December 11th), then that is only a few days after the hearing on my citation for protesting in front of the Org. As Strong Strength alludes to, we presumably will have greater clarity on the whole 150 feet buffer issue. I would certainly love to be there a couple of days later to celebrate a win. If the hearing does not offer any clarify or goes the wrong way, we can also retreat to our redoubt at the corner.

BUT...I also like the idea of hitting the Idle Morgue before it opens in order to spread some truth to the neighborhood about their soon-to-be neighbors. Has anyone been by there lately? Does it look anywhere near ready to open? I'm curious as to others' thoughts.
  4. Re: Chicago - Dec. 11th, 2010 - Planning

Personally, unless the Ideal Org is suddenly opened by then or something, I'm kinda lukewarm on the idea. I would worry it would end up being kind of lame, like, "Wow there's nothing going on here." I could be wrong, but I want to say that at that spot,

- foot traffic will probably be low'ish
    - car traffic might be moderate, but there will be visibility issues due to all the parallel-parked cars (lots of sticks and poles for signs could help somewhat)
    - no Scientologists will be around either, if they haven't moved in yet

I think even a worst-case Org scenario would be more entertaining. Okay, so that place has low foot traffic too, but the car traffic is excellent at the intersection, and even if we are stuck 150 feet away, the Scientologists will definitely see us and know we're there.

That's my 2 cents, but I'm flexible and I'm happy to do whatever most of the people want to do.
  5. Paladin Member

Well, I can't argue with the logic of protesting at an org that may actually have some live bodies inside of it. I just wanted to make sure that we would protest in front of a Scientology building instead of a Catholic church or a funeral home. So my vote is for Lincoln Avenue and my hope is that we will be standing outside their door.
  6. 3rdMan Member

The best time to raid the Idle Org is if it opens.
  7. Re: Chicago - Dec. 11th, 2010 - Planning

For what it's worth, we have one of our regulars who can't really post here, but does keep an eye on the threads. She told me something to the effect that she prefers Millennium Park for the location most every month, but that she's also fairly flexible and willing to change locations around. I just thought I'd pass that along here, since I thought she deserved to have a voice in our planning too.

And sorry, I didn't mean to rain on the idea of doing the Ideal Org too much - it's not my first choice, but if most people want to go there, I'll be happy to do it. I think so far we're pretty split, but of the people who are planning on being there, it's looking something like:

Me: Lincoln org (regardless of 150 ft. outcome)
    Paladin: Lincoln Org? (if we can be in front), else Ideal Org?
    Xander: Lincoln Org? (if we can be in front), else Ideal Org?
    Honk sign lady: Millennium Park

Waiting to see if anyone else going has a preference. Also, I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not, but we could wait and see what sort of resolution we get on the Dec. 8th (9th?) citation hearing re: the 150-foot law. Then depending on that, we could adjust event plans accordingly, within those last couple days. Normally I wouldn't try to finalize stuff in such a short time period, but as long as we all know to scope out the board during that time and enough people are flexible, it could probably work.
  8. Darth Xander Member

I'm ready to cast a solid vote for the Org on Lincoln on December 11th. My hearing is on December 8th, so if we get a green light I'd love to hit the Org ASAP to celebrate the win. (I don't know about you guys, but I love the idea of being able to stand directly outside the Org without having to deal with the police.) If we get a yellow light (ticket dismissed with no clear guidance either way), which is definitely within the realm of possibility, we can always stand at the corner, which is a lot of fun in its own right.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Whatever the will of the group is on time and location, I'll be there.
  9. 9376 Member

My vote is on whatever. Also, 50/50 I make it to this.
  10. metgyre Member

my vote doesn't matter, but i say the org. keep rubbing it in their faces.
  11. Kevin Freeman Member

I vote for mil. park for foot traffic. I'm pretty sure the ice skating ring is open (or will be open) on the 11th. This means a lot of people will be using it. Plus, I like protesting there.

Is the Scientology children's pageant going on this year? Would people like to go if it is? They thought we were cool last time.
  12. Darth Xander Member

Its on...in St. Petersburg, Florida.
  13. Kevin Freeman Member

That's a huge bummer. Last year it was at Red Orchard Theater, and it was awesome. Anyone like the millennium park idea?
  14. Dra Member

I definitely won't be able to be there, but am hoping you get to protest right in front of the org. :)
  15. Re: Chicago - Dec. 11th, 2010 - Planning

@ Adanon: Check your PM's if you see this.

Re: Location: Well, I like Millennium Park too, and I think Kevin is Millennium Park voter #2. Thing is, we have (I think) 3 votes for the normal org this month already. And a couple of those were from people who probably would've preferred to be at the org last month too (in November), but they went with the flow and didn't complain about Millennium getting featured last month. So that was cool of them.

Is there any way we can compromise and start alternating locations by month or something? Cuz there are people who prefer different locations. And I don't think we realistically have enough manpower to split the group into both spots, or hold 2 protests a month different places.

Since we were at Millennium in November, how about we do the Org in December and then come back to the park in January? The ice rink will still be there, 'cause they leave that up until the warm spring weather. Is that a plan we can all live with?
  16. Paladin Member

Going to Millennium Park to warn people about Scientology is like going to Florida to warn people about polar bears. Yes, there are many people randomly walking in the park. I believe most of those people are more interested in getting some exercise and seeing the sites than learning about a cult. I am sure the picture-takers are more interested in having a funny story to tell their friends than talking to their friends about Scientology.

The best way to end Scientology in Chicago is to target their staff members and customers. Those people are at the org, not the park.

I understand that the park is fun and easier to get to for some Anons. I want everyone to be able to participate in the protests. I am willing to go to the park to support that. How often we go to the park should depend on the outcome of Xander's day in court.
  17. Kevin Freeman Member

So if Xander wins, we protest IN FRONT of the org, but if he loses, we go to mil. park?
  18. Paladin Member

Xander's court date is 12/8. Our protest is 12/11. It looks like we will be at the org this month based on the voting so far. The outcome of the court case will decide if we can be in front of the org or on one of the corners.

As for the future protests, if we can't protest in front of the org then I am in favor of alternating between the org and the park each month as SS suggested. If we can protest in front of the org then I would like to be at the org more often. Perhaps something like 8 months at the org and 4 months at the park during a year.
  19. Re: Chicago - Dec. 11th, 2010 - Planning

We could probably have a back-and-forth about the effectiveness of org protests versus the park protests. But I honestly think it's kind of a moot issue in a way, because having fun ranks very highly for a lot of anons, and some people have the most fun at Millennium Park. So that's all the reason they need to prefer it.

And yeah, I know there are also people who think the org is way more entertaining. So that's cool. It's a matter of taste, and nobody's bound to do anything they don't want to.

I like both spots, hope to continue doing both, and am happy to go to the org this month followed by the park the next. But we'll see how the plans play out.
  20. Re: Chicago - Dec. 11th, 2010 - Planning

So, Org it is this month, I guess? I'd prefer to meet up at the intersection again, even if we get clearing for being in front of their building, so we can kinda gather up a few people before heading over. I just don't want anyone out there solo, you know? How's that sound?

Also, if enough people feel strongly about doing one location or the other and we end up alternating by month or something, there's always miniraids. So if anyone was dead-set on Millennium Park this month and is OK with it just being 2 or 3 people, say something or PM me and we'll see what we can do.
  21. Darth Xander Member

Org it is! As for future schedules, I thought the whole point of planning threads was to plan time and place. Not sure why we would need to agree to an alternating schedule rather than voting on location each month.

If you feel you need to establish a routine, I'd vote for hitting the Org (and when I say Org I mean the nearby corner until we get the whole protesting issue ironed out) nine times and the park maybe three times a year. However, I am only one vote and will defer to the will of the group as always.
  22. Re: Chicago - Dec. 11th, 2010 - Planning

Updated original post with what won the vote for this month.

And we don't have to alternate spots by month. I was just trying to think ahead and brainstorm some ideas up to try to keep everyone happy, since there are people with preferences for each location. If you guys want, we can talk about it some more at the event, see what happens on the legal front at the org, etc. and worry about it more later.
  23. Kevin Freeman Member

If Xander reads this, good luck at the court hearing today!
  24. Anonymous Member

Yup! Good luck, Darth Xander. I'll be checking on this thread later ;-)
  25. Dra Member

Good luck Xander!
  26. Pareo Member

I was hoping for good news about Xander and his court case when I was reading this tread, but no updates. D: Anyways, I may actually be able to finally make it to a protest. Huzzah.. Mind you, I might be a bit brain dead (ACT testing a a bitch), but that's better then nothing. Should I bring cupcakes? :D
  27. Darth Xander Member

28. Paladin Member

NO REST FOR THE WICKED!!!

First a challenge in court then a protest at the org. I'm going to enjoy protesting at the Lincoln and Southport intersection even if I freeze my ass off this Saturday!
  29. Kevin Freeman Member

If the hearing is on the 13th, what does that mean about the protest? Would it be a better idea to hold off the protest until next weekend to see the results of the hearing?
  30. Darth Xander Member

The case was continued until January 13th. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
  31. Kevin Freeman Member

Does this mean we will not know the results of the trial until after the 13th? Because I would be willing to protest on the 18th right next to their doors than on the 11th with a chance of us pissing off the police.
  32. Paladin Member

Hi Kevin,

We will be protesting at the org this Saturday ( December 11th). We will be on the corners of the intersection because we cannot be in front of the org at this time.

I assume that our January protest will on the 8th at Millennium Park, so you and the rest of us can enjoy the ice rink while we are still waiting for Xander's 2nd court date.

After Xander's court date next month (January 13th), hopefully we will know if we can protest in front of the org or not.

I hope this clears things up for you.
  33. Re: Chicago - Dec. 11th, 2010 - Planning

Yep. Just to make things extra-clear for anyone new, because we're still stuck 150 feet away from the org for now, we're going to be at the big 6-way intersection that's just southeast of the org. Take a gander at the map in post #1 if you need a refresher. We usually meet up around St. Alphonsus now, so go around there, and you should spot us right away.

Again, for new people: we're at the intersection nearby the org, not right in front of the org itself. Don't demonstrate in front of the org until the legal crap gets cleaned up.

You should fit right in, then. 2ymukab.gif

If you want to! We almost always have candy now, but more munchies are always appreciated. Some people might not chow down on cupcakes right on the spot but take 'em to eat on the way home.
  34. Kevin Freeman Member

Holy crap I did not realize that it said January, my bad. I am trying to fix the problems with my winter costume, so it might just have to wait a month, but I hope to wear it on the 11th.
  35. Re: Chicago - Dec. 11th, 2010 - Planning

Know what my winter "costume" is going to be? 10 layers of clothes!!11 Also, it's gon' rain/sleet, but that's what waterproof gloves are for. I'll bring some extra handwarmers along too.

Anyone wanna bring their MP3 player along to play deejay with the mini-boombox?

I wouldn't be surprised if this event ran a little shorter than usual if the weather is challenging, but I hope to be out there a few hours at least.

[size=+1]FUCK SNOW![/size]

3190082249_0a1829326c_o.jpg
  36. Pareo Member

Okay, I lied. Since I am without a car, I'ma have to skip this one and do the next one at Millennium Park. D: No cupcakes for you.
  37. Kevin Freeman Member

Jerk.
  38. Meatwad Member

faggots
  39. Pareo Member

NO U. I'll bring them to the next protest. So I'll rephrase that.

No cupcakes for you TODAY.